I think the 'visual mechanics' of the OP image is just that a constant 'adaptive motion' repeated, the eye gets accustomed to, and then when you suddenly look at something still, the eye goes on with that adaptive motion for a few seconds. Usually. 

It's the brain that is doing that, not the eye.

It's not that it "works on you." It's not hypnosis!

It's simply whether or not you have the ability. A little like being color blind or not, as an analogy. Except I suspect everyone can see this if they just make the effort and allow it.

well...i do not agree with that.

we once had a book with a lot of those pictures, my son and ( now ex) partner had a lot of fun with it, i didn't see a thing, and boy i tried...

I'm unable to see the heart ( even after being told that it is there) and the reason for that is  that my depth-seeing is severly impaired.

but I did have i nice effect from the original post, that fern started to grow like mad  :D

• Like 1

I have to speak to this before reading the rest of your post.

Yes, if you are told there is a heart in the picture you are going to see one.  That's called brainwashing.

No, but thank you for being insulting and invalidating. :-)

I saw all the shapes in the magic eye images while having no idea whatever they were supposed to be, because in the books at least as I read them, front to back (I got the first as a gift back in the 90s), there is nobody telling you whatever it is. There is just a weird picture that you have to look at until it becomes clear.

The coins for example do not have a shape in them. It's merely that the coins are in 3-D. Although the 3D of these shapes is more like a flat background wallpaper and then a few layers' worth of depth on top of that which can be made into a shape (such as with rounding) or just multiple 'levels' of something.

It's so hilarious how you are attempting to pass off your incompetence at doing this as others being stupid! Really it's funny. Maybe you should just actually do it, I'm sure you can!

Although at this point I'm thinking ego is going to prevent sincere effort. :-)

Edited by redcairo
  • Like 1

I went like: "Alright, if I imagine some curves here, I can see a heart shape in this." But it didn't happen all by itself.

The shape is not made by the consciously-visual patterns so it's not really like finding Waldo or a shape in clouds.

Honestly if you SEE it, you will know you see it, I mean it's super WOW obvious. The first time I saw one I was yelling OH MY GOD! at it, and laughing. Because I'd been staring at another of the damn things for awhile to no avail, and happened to try another (the coins) and finally actually saw the "depth" of it -- it's really just a depth thing -- and then it was like my brain and eyes understood it finally. I was able to see the shapes or layers in everything else after that although some of them took more effort than others.

well...i do not agree with that.

we once had a book with a lot of those pictures, my son and ( now ex) partner had a lot of fun with it, i didn't see a thing, and boy i tried...

I'm unable to see the heart ( even after being told that it is there) and the reason for that is that my depth-seeing is severly impaired.

but I did have i nice effect from the original post, that fern started to grow like mad :D

I don't see the hidden 3D pictures either, even though I know how they are built. For me, this inability is due to a specific eye problem (physical eye rather than something "third eye" related...)
  • Like 1

No, but thank you for being insulting and invalidating. :-)

Well, what I said does not invalidate your experience.

I don't see where I was insulting.  I was just share one of my "truths".

It's so hilarious how you are attempting to pass off your incompetence at doing this as others being stupid! Really it's funny. Maybe you should just actually do it, I'm sure you can!

Although at this point I'm thinking ego is going to prevent sincere effort. :-)

Now you are being insulting by suggesting that I am incompetent.  I know how that stuff works.  Maybe that is why I cannot see what my brain has ignored.

Yes, I have an ego and I love it dearly.  Sincere effort has nothing to do with it.

Can you imagine a Pegacorn?  I can.

And I know you cannot imagine a certain place I often imagine when I want to return to Yin as in the spirit valley; the place of rest.

So don't be getting bent out of shape just because I can't see what you see.  Believe it or not, we are all special and unique, each with our own special set of capabilities and capacities.

No, really, I am very difficult to offend. I interpreted your assuming my experience is "merely brainwashing" as what it was, socially, but I'm not bent by that.

And yeah, sure! If you can't see it, I think it's not being competent to do so, but I meant no offense with that, it's not like it's some kind of required life skill. It's just that making it everyone else's imagination because you can't seems like a bit of an overreaction.

I don't think any amount of intellectual assumption about "how it works" should affect one's ability to actually perceive it, because 'the way it works' isn't about, as you implied, simply telling someone the answer and then letting them imagine they find it in the visual patterns. I have heard there are some subtle eye/alignment issues some people have that may interfere with them seeing these, but I guess I always figured those were rare.

Maybe not so much...

Edited by redcairo
  • Like 1

No, really, I am very difficult to offend. I interpreted your assuming my experience is "merely brainwashing" as what it was, socially, but I'm not bent by that.

And yeah, sure! If you can't see it, I think it's not being competent to do so, but I meant no offense with that, it's not like it's some kind of required life skill. It's just that making it everyone else's imagination because you can't seems like a bit of an overreaction.

I don't think any amount of intellectual assumption about "how it works" should affect one's ability to actually perceive it, because 'the way it works' isn't about, as you implied, simply telling someone the answer and then letting them imagine they find it in the visual patterns. I have heard there are some subtle eye/alignment issues some people have that may interfere with them seeing these, but I guess I always figured those were rare.

Maybe not so much...

Great.  I'm glad we have mellowed out regarding this.

I don't think I used the word "merely" together with "brainwashing" though.  The power of suggestion is, afterall, a very powerful tool.

And a truth is, I used to be able to see those things very easily.  I guess I have watched too many of the "Brain Games" programs.

I'm not aware of the eye issues so I can't speak to that.

There absolutely IS a heart shape in that rose picture you guys, though I had to make it larger and hold the screen differently in the light before it was obvious. It might have been obvious because I have the book that pic was originally published in though so I recognized it! 

It took me a bit to see the so-called magic-eye stuff. I do it by holding the pic fairly close, making sure there's plenty of light, and then focusing "well past" the picture (like a foot deep into it) and just hold that comfortably. The brain works out the pattern, and I very slowly pull focus back toward myself, no rush on it, and it starts to come together as you do but keep going slowly, and not until the pattern is fully clear do you let yourself actually look at the shape to define it.  Other people talk about crossing their eyes and various stuff, I don't really understand that approach. I think the first one I was able to see was the coins pic, this one:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/SteveStrummerUK/magic-eye-coin.jpg

Once I saw it, my metaphysical analogies for it sort of exploded all over, because seeing one reality inside another that seems different just from perspective, is very cool!

Thing is, if I look at  the picture, and its individual parts (eye scan) ... no heart .  If I look through it  (as you seem to do )  I see it, and then when I have it, I can scan all over the image and look at individual parts and into the depth and surface  without loosing the 3D effect. 

It's not that it "works on you." It's not hypnosis!

It's simply whether or not you have the ability. A little like being color blind or not, as an analogy. Except I suspect everyone can see this if they just make the effort and allow it.

It may depend on  how 'set' one's vision is ? 

I have to speak to this before reading the rest of your post.

Yes, if you are told there is a heart in the picture you are going to see one.  That's called brainwashing.

Ah, not so Marbles ... the magic eye  pics usually dont come with any explanation ... thats part of the 'fun' involved .  

And afterwards people can say they saw the same image .

I went like: "Alright, if I imagine some curves here, I can see a heart shape in this." But it didn't happen all by itself.

No man ... its a full on 3D jump out and smack you in the face heart ..... once it can be seen ... not  imagining  a curve here or there and imagining the shape 

..... aside from the content of imagination we add to all vision   ;)

Ah, not so Marbles ... the magic eye  pics usually dont come with any explanation ... thats part of the 'fun' involved .  

And afterwards people can say they saw the same image .

Okay. 

But then the rose is associated with love and love is associated with the heart.  Maybe it's because I have given up on love.

And so, imagining something that isn't there is fun.  I have given up on that too.

Just a stone cold Atheist here.

Great.  I'm glad we have mellowed out regarding this.

I don't think I used the word "merely" together with "brainwashing" though.  The power of suggestion is, afterall, a very powerful tool.

And a truth is, I used to be able to see those things very easily.  I guess I have watched too many of the "Brain Games" programs.

I'm not aware of the eye issues so I can't speak to that.

or maybe you saw too many of my  'real' brainwashing attempts  here      ^_^

• Like 1

or maybe you saw too many of my  'real' brainwashing attempts  here      ^_^

Yeah, that likely helped.

• Like 1

Okay. 

But then the rose is associated with love and love is associated with the heart.  Maybe it's because I have given up on love.

And so, imagining something that isn't there is fun.  I have given up on that too.

Just a stone cold Atheist here.

Oh .... and here I was thinking you would like the flowers and it might remind you of your garden  ... 

Lets remove sex from the picture and add sax 

Here, you can see the sax and the Pink Panther  within the picture anyway ... the effect however is to make it  change to  3D   ....   

eeddb0843a4c605745ad90211fc30d8d.jpg

There is  !  

There isnt  !!  

THERE IS !  

....  wait ! 

I dont see  it  . 

I do see it  .      ;)

Black then white are all I see in my infancy.

red and yellow then came to be, reaching out to me.

lets me see.

As below, so above and beyond, I imagine

drawn beyond the lines of reason.

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

( Tool    .....    again ) 

First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is.

Focus.

NO!  If you focus you lose awareness of everything else.

Let you conscious be your guide.

Everything matters but nothing matters.

RGB - Red, Green, Blue.  Various combinations of the three will result in the possibility for about 16 million colors.

But our brain detects visually only what our eyes provide.  A blind man see nothing.  He must use his other senses to compensate.

I love things like this, as it reminds me just how fragile and inaccurate our senses are...

As for the 3d pics, they are rather easy to detect, but there is a sweet zone and you must not focus on the actual paper or surface the image is printed on, but allow your eyes to focus a few centimeters behind the paper.  This soft focus will bring the latent image out in 3d and it's always a blast to see what's hiding...

I can see 4d when I wear my cheap sun glasses.

"...with her West Coast strut

she was sweet as molasses..."

• Like 1