Sign in to follow this  
noonespecial

The opposite of Love is not Hate...

Introduction to A Course In Miracles

This is a course in miracles. It is a required course.
Only the time you take it is voluntary.
Free will does not mean that you can establish the curriculum.
It means only that you can elect what you want to take at a given time.
The course does not aim at teaching the meaning of love,
for that is beyond what can be taught.
It does aim, however, at removing the blocks to the awareness of love’s
presence, which is your natural inheritance.
The opposite of love is fear,
but what is all-encompassing can have no opposite.
This course can therefore be summed up very simply in this way:

Nothing real can be threatened.
Nothing unreal exists.
Herein lies the peace of God.

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Like 1

To add, this whole Donald Trump vs Muslims thing right now is fascinating, FEAR is so fu@king powerful.

As someone who agrees with Trump on that issue, (in the attempt to make some sense out of a different perspective for you) I have to say that it has nothing to do with fear, but everything to do with love. It's about protecting those you care about first and foremost.

Fear is aversion...such as the aversion some people have to everything Trump says and does. Or the aversion to so-called "Islamophobia". Actually, calling someone a name such as "Islamophobe" is a sign of fear...their opinion is too dangerous for your mind, so you attempt to socially ostracize it and them in any way possible. You call them scared, when really "when your finger points at someone, there are three pointing back at you". The one who calls someone else scared is generally more scared, and the person being called that is generally not.

A fearless mind can consider rational points of view, but a fearful mind becomes irrational and calls names, attempts to destroy the other person, etc. An example of a rational point of view is that terrorism is committed by certain Muslims seemingly out of the blue.

A fearful mind says: don't ever lump everyone into one group, because that kind of thinking is frowned upon in our society, and I need to fit in. If I don't fit in, bad things will happen. No hate, because hate is something to fear!

On the contrary, it's obvious that Trump doesn't care if he fits in whatsoever, not even to the party he's running under. That's an example of a (relatively) fearless mind...as well as an example of shamelessness, to be negative about it.

Finally, to bring this back away from politics to the original post...some have said that the opposite of love is not hate or fear, but apathy. At least with fear, one thing is loved and another thing you're averse to. At least there is feeling and life. With apathy, nothing is loved...everything is meaningless and pointless.

To not care is the worst thing.

As someone with a Muslim father from Iran who worked his ass off to succeed in this country, and has helped everyone who he has ever crossed paths with and is possibly the most compassionate man i have ever met I compltely disagrees. “Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety," Franklin

• Like 5

“Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety," Franklin

On the other hand, those who knowingly give up the safety of their loved ones, do exactly that.

Anyway...my point is that the opposite viewpoint of yours has nothing to do with "fear", and perhaps even to assume so is coming from a place of fear in yourself.

Edited to add: I read an article earlier today that a leftist friend of mine posted. It basically states that liberals and conservatives have different ways of looking at and dealing with the world. The conservative is more sensitive to problems and faces them head on.

The article seemed a bit biased toward the left...but anyway, perhaps this mode of functioning in conservative types is viewed as "fearful" by liberal types. When in actuality, what it truly is, is responsibility.

Edited by Aetherous

On the other hand, those who knowingly give up the safety of their loved ones, do exactly that.

Anyway...my point is that the opposite viewpoint of yours has nothing to do with "fear", and perhaps even to assume so is coming from a place of fear in yourself.

Yeah I'm very familiar with the fear in myself. Thanks. 

To add, its clear Trump is using the law of polarity to his advantage..to a fucking tee if i might say so. It's quite obvious, there is NO LOVE (only FEAR) in this country, for blacks, for Muslims, for gays, etc...fear of change.

Eh, I've said all that was necessary here...it fell on completely deaf ears. I didn't mean to piss you off...I actually am really fond of you as a forum member here...don't go thinking that I'm in that group you just typecasted without really grasping my perspective please. Peace.

@

Aetherous

Awww man, no hard feelings whatsoever, I got some family taking a flight this week and I am quite on the edge about it, but it's not cause of 'Muslims' if you know what  i mean, it's more like what are THEY gonna do next to polarize us? 

Edited by noonespecial
  • Like 1

In my opinion, the opposite of love is depression.

Interesting. I noticed my depression comes in waves tho, maybe once every couple months for a couple of days, then im good again lol. 

• Like 1

Then what is the opposite of hate?

And what is the opposite of confidence?

The opposite of hate is peacefulness\serenity\tranquillity.

Confidence is not an emotional state, imho.

Edited by Cheshire Cat

The opposite of hate is peacefulness\serenity\tranquillity.

Confidence is not an emotional state, imho.

Thanks for trying.  I don't accept either one.

• Like 1

Then what is the opposite of hate?

And what is the opposite of confidence?

'Hate' = Ignorance driven fearing.

While many were indoctrinated into believing there is a wide gamut of emotions, Love and Fear remain as the root of all human thought and emotion.  When it appears otherwise, the observer has not finished tracing back to the root. 

Unlimited Love,

-Bud

• Like 1

It is FEAR. 

yes!   I want to thank you for this .... more than clicking the button

تشکر

... but cold indifference.

Cold silence

has a tendency

to atrophy any

sense of compassion

between supposed lovers,