Lataif

Longevity or Immortality . . . But Not Both (?)

The idea is to reach a state of being that is beyond time and space. 

You do that every time you meditate correctly. That's why most people have time

distortion, after coming out of the meditative state ("I thought I meditated for 1 hour.

It's only been 10 minutes").

The goal is to go back to zero. "To Crush The Nothingness". Then the final goal is to not attach to either state, "0", or "1".

To be In the world, but not of the world. 

All of the above are just descriptions, approximations, stand-ins for the actual reality, which is to be experienced.

Cheers!

• Like 1

I'm talking about in Selfess service to all, as an extension of the original nature. not as an ego stroke of the false persona.

To paraphrase The Blues Brothers (And people, please don't take this literal  :D ) :

"You're now on a mission from God".

Cheers!

Yes, that seems to be the common theme around here, but as described in the many quotes above, such a belief is still clinging/attachment. How can it be selfless service, if the sense of self needs to preserve itself beyond the natural order of the flow of Tao?

That is more the trap of higher spiritual ego, in simple terms one is saying... "I am so important that the world cannot exist without me. It needs me too much."

Best wishes.

Lear is a very profound play, it would be interesting to discuss it. Have you read it in detail?

Yes but not in decades. Not since my undergraduate days.

Perhaps I need to read it again!

Posted Today, 03:41 PM

Karl, on 28 Jul 2015 - 15:30, said:snapback.png

Hamlet: that makes sense 'cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war' and all that good stuff uttered by the Klingon.

That's Julius Caesar.

No Way. 

Julius Caesar wasn't Klingon. 

<he was Roman or maybe Romulan>

Edited by thelerner

Yes, that seems to be the common theme around here, but as described in the many quotes above, such a belief is still clinging/attachment. How can it be selfless service, if the sense of self needs to preserve itself beyond the natural order of the flow of Tao? That is more the trap of higher spiritual ego, in simple terms one is saying... "I am so important that the world cannot exist without me. It needs me too much." Best wishes.

It's the flow of the Tao (as you put it) that preserves you, if preserved you are to be.

• Like 2

Posted Today, 03:41 PM

Karl, on 28 Jul 2015 - 15:30, said:snapback.png

Hamlet: that makes sense 'cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war' and all that good stuff uttered by the Klingon.

No Way. 

Julius Caesar wasn't Klingon. 

<he was Roman or maybe Romulan>

Yes he was undoubtedly Romulan.

• Like 3

It's the flow of the Tao (as you put it) that preserves you, if preserved you are to be.

Agreed. But in the example originally described, the person was specifically doing practices to extend their life beyond their natural time. They "desired" to have a longer life with practices that supported the desire and attachment with it. Such practices that support such personal desire are not in keeping with spiritual immortality (as described in the many texts).

Then we are definitely talking about a different concept of immortality. I was describing spiritual immortality (or beyond the physical body). I believe that was also obvious from my earlier posts. And as I have described in the earlier quotes, I would even go further and say that if one is actually pursueing physical immortality of the body, then they are not on a path that will lead them to (spiritual) immortality. Striving for physical immortality (or even "trying" to to live a longer life), is based in fear. Fear of death, is crossed relatively early in any advanced process.Since we are both from a Christian background, I will leave you with these words from the gospels which specifically touch on the point (of immortality)...Romans 8:6-176For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. 8So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. 9But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. 10And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. 12Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. 13For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. 14For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. 15For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. 16The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:17And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

I am not from a Christian background. I was raised catholic and learned at an early age how to skip out of church by grabbing the pamphlet to prove I had been there. I have never believed in the bible because it is a hodge podge of mishmash put together by people, edited and full of omissions. It is a tool that is used to suppress people, control them and justify mass killing.

The bible has very little to do with Jesus, so please don't put me in the the same narrow mindset as you. I do not pretend to understand what is in the bible (as you do) nor do I appreciate you throwing quotes at me like I'd actually like it or something. If you want a relationship with Jesus look in your heart, not in some old piece of work that says "an eye for an eye".

You yourself who continually insults the Holy Spirit by calling it kundalini, who channels beings and gives light transmissions (not heeding what is written in the bible), does not have the understanding of the karma that you reap...please don't insult me by quoting the bible at me.

Now perhaps you could explain to us how refinement of energy translates into clarity which means wisdom.

You know, anyone can quote shit from any source, but understanding it is another matter.

I have no expectation that my physical body will burst into light but I believe that I would choose to return to continue my journey and my work.

It has been suggested that I am here now because I already made that choice.

Was the suggestion that you didn't have to come back here, but made the choice to?

Agreed. But in the example originally described, the person was specifically doing practices to extend their life beyond their natural time. They "desired" to have a longer life with practices that supported the desire and attachment with it. Such practices that support such personal desire are not in keeping with spiritual immortality (as described in the many texts).

Have a look at Daoist Internal Alchemy you might discover something interesting.  On the other hand you might not.

• Like 1

I am not from a Christian background. I was raised catholic and learned at an early age how to skip out of church by grabbing the pamphlet to prove I had been there. I have never believed in the bible because it is a hodge podge of mishmash put together by people, edited and full of omissions. It is a tool that is used to suppress people, control them and justify mass killing.

The bible has very little to do with Jesus, so please don't put me in the the same narrow mindset as you. I do not pretend to understand what is in the bible (as you do) nor do I appreciate you throwing quotes at me like I'd actually like it or something. If you want a relationship with Jesus look in your heart, not in some old piece of work that says "an eye for an eye".

You yourself who continually insults the Holy Spirit by calling it kundalini, who channels beings and gives light transmissions (not heeding what is written in the bible), does not have the understanding of the karma that you reap...please don't insult me by quoting the bible at me.

Now perhaps you could explain to us how refinement of energy translates into clarity which means wisdom.

You know, anyone can quote shit from any source, but understanding it is another matter.

In the text, I was quoting the gospels and not the Old Testament. Jesus (and the gospels) never say anything like an "eye for an eye". Also, I have never said that the Holy Spirit is the same as kundalini, but I have stated that kundalini is a power (or energy) of the Holy Spirit.

Sorry to hear that you find quotes from the gospels as insulting. Also, I would agree that true understanding is very different than reading a book.

Best wishes.

• Like 1

in simple terms one is saying... "I am so important that the world cannot exist without me. It needs me too much." Best wishes.

Not the Individual, small "I", which is false. 

The true "I", which is the same "I" In everyone.

What you said isn't what I'm talking about at all.

What I'm talking about is getting the request directly from the source, not the false self.

I hope that's clearer. If not, I apologize. I really want to be clear about this point.

It's a very important point. The person isn't making the decision to stay. The Selfless I is.

Good fortune to you also.  :D

Cheers!

You put it together perfectly Apech. Thanks.

Cheers!

Not the Individual, small "I", which is false. 

The true "I", which is the same "I" In everyone.

What you said isn't what I'm talking about at all.

What I'm talking about is getting the request directly from the source, not the false self.

I hope that's clearer. If not, I apologize. I really want to be clear about this point.

It's a very important point. The person isn't making the decision to stay. The Selfless I is.

Good fortune to you also.  :D

Cheers!

I understand what you are saying and thank you for sharing, but we seem to just disagree on the point.

Best,

Jeff

• Like 1

In the text, I was quoting the gospels and not the Old Testament. Jesus (and the gospels) never say anything like an "eye for an eye". Also, I have never said that the Holy Spirit is the same as kundalini, but I have stated that kundalini is a power (or energy) of the Holy Spirit.

So who said this? The tooth fairy?

http://thedaobums.com/topic/31514-transmission-in-christian-mysticism/?p=474399

Additionally, a divine being/master can share/extend mind clarity (peace that passes human understanding) and the Holy Spirit (Kundalini) in the process.

As a matter of fact you were calling he Holy Spirit "kundalini" back in 2009 at AYP and here in 2012:

http://thedaobums.com/topic/25602-did-jesus-give-transmission-to-his-disciples/?p=377774

Hi Learner,

I definitely agree with your point, but if at the "inner level", it is a "transmission" (as in Dzogchen), and cannot be written down. A few more words from John on that point...

John 7:37-38 (KJV)

37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.

38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

Flowing "Living" water feels a lot like energy/light/vibrations (Kundalini/Holy Spirit).

:)

(edit - chapter fixed - thanks seeker)

Edited by Jeff, 30 November 2012 - 09:25 AM.

Edited by Tibetan_Ice

Transmission is a component of many traditions, but it a major component of the inner (or mystical) aspects of the gnostic Christian tradition. Transmissions can be "sent" by divine beings and also masters or adepts of the tradition.

There are two main types of transmission. The lower form is at the level of the "mind" and is often called a mind transmission. The higher form is at the level of the heart (or inner heart) and is often called a "light" transmission.

A mind level transmission is commonly associated with the 3rd eye (mind) and is at the astral level. Energy is sent in a directed way to another being, and this energy is translated by the mind into some sort of vision (or healing). The experience (and power) of the transmission is highly dependent on both the clarity of the sender and receiver beings. Depending on the "frequency range" of the transmission, issues and fears in the subconscious mind may be hit. The resulting mind translation can create a very wild perception/experience. This is also why astral travel/mediumship is not recommended in many traditions, as it is possible for the mind to be "fooled" or for negative beings to hide behind deep subconscious issues and fears. Finally, this type of transmission is still at the level of duality, as the mind still believes there are two beings (sender and receiver) and hence is subject to things like the perception of "shielding".

A light level transmission is very rare and at the level of the "inner heart" or soul. To send such a transmission, one must have realized oneness, or in Christian terms be at least a highly developed "saint" (or master of the tradition). To even notice/receive such a transmission one must have an open heart (open 4th chakra). A light transmission is beyond the local mind and is a communication directly at the soul level. Depending on one's integration at the soul level, the information is then sort of "decompressed" into components that can be understood by the mind. Those with a developed third eye and the capacity to receive a light transmission will often "see" the transmitting soul which can look like a multicolored burning bush at the level of conscious mind.

In a light transmission, the sender has realized oneness and sort of "overlays" their aspect of consciousness on the person, then the natural "light" that they are flows through. In a light transmission, everything that is the sending "being" is included/given to the person. In the process, it is more about the persons ability to "receive". To the receiving person it can feel like "being in a bubble" or like their body pressure has dramatically increased/gotten heavy. Additionally, a divine being/master can share/extend mind clarity (peace that passes human understanding) and the Holy Spirit (Kundalini) in the process.

Transmissions are normally at the "grace" of the divine beings. Mental clarity and an open heart are the key in contacting divine beings. Once one realizes oneness, you can directly overlay/merge with divine beings up to your relative clarity.

Additionally, a divine being/master can share/extend mind clarity (peace that passes human understanding) and the Holy Spirit (Kundalini) in the process.

Since you like posing so much as a guru, expert in transmissions and accomplished master, I thought I'd quote something for you from the Dahammapada:

Whatever a fool learns,

It only makes him duller.

Knowledge cleaves his head.

For then he wants recognition.

A place before other people,

A place over other people.

"Let them know my work,

Let everyone look to me for direction."

Such are his desires,

Such is his swelling pride.

One way leads to wealth and fame,

The other to the end of the way.

Look not for recognition

But follow the awakened

And set yourself free.

Tell me, do you still claim to be from the lineage of John The Baptist?

And perhaps you could explain to these good people how that makes you an expert in Doaism?

Was the suggestion that you didn't have to come back here, but made the choice to?

Dogs and Salmon is all I got asking those types of questions.

Then somewhere there was Hamlet and Julius Ceaser who was a romulan by consensus.

Why take LSD I say. Spend a few hours here.

Just because I've never read Hamlet because I came from a poor school where we begged for soup and stole pocket watches they picked on me. :-(

Edited by Karl

. Whatever a fool learns,

It only makes him duller.

Knowledge cleaves his head.

For then he wants recognition.

A place before other people,

A place over other people.

"Let them know my work,

Let everyone look to me for direction."

Such are his desires,

Such is his swelling pride.

One way leads to wealth and fame,

The other to the end of the way.

Look not for recognition

But follow the awakened

And set yourself free.

'like' that quote- empty headed may I be:-) Edited by Karl

I understand what you are saying and thank you for sharing, but we seem to just disagree on the point. Best, Jeff

Good enough. Thanks.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Such was the suggestion, yes. I prefer to consider it in future tense, though, because doing otherwise makes me uncomfortable.

• Like 2

As an attempt to get the thread back on topic, here's an excerpt from William Bodri's

"Spiritual Paths and Their Meditation Techniques" That discusses Physical Immortality,

versus enlightenment:

Amazon Link: http://www.amazon.com/Spiritual-Paths-Their-Meditation-Techniques/dp/1452869367/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1438141584&sr=1-4&keywords=william+bodri&pebp=1438141594695&perid=1YNJ0Z0TM29C2JQ99Z3W

"Even though most Immortals remain within the Realm of Desire, because they have highly developed their powers of one-pointed concentration for such a long period of time, it is possible that they can become enlightened in an instant if they are shown the correct path of cultivation and given a chance to reach the proper sort of awakening. If they are lucky enough to meet a good teacher, and all the right circumstances come together, they can become enlightened immediately.

This was the case of the Taoist immortal Lu Ch’un-yang, who was author of the“Hundred Word Inscription” which describes the cultivation practices that will bring about the stage of the Immortals and yet higher spiritual attainments. This poem collapses the entire road of spiritual cultivation into just a few words, and has been used to train countless generations of spiritual adepts. Lu Ch’un-yang’s story is a very instructive one.  

For years he had cultivated his internal chi energy to the point where he had reached the stage of the Immortals. He could live forever in the world without dying, and had attained many spiritual powers such as making himself invisible and projecting a double of his physical self. Because of his internal energy, like the Tibetan adept Milarepa he could even fly through the air.

One day he was actually flying through the sky and noticed a particularly auspicious aura around a mountain. When he dropped down to investigate the source of the aura, all he could find was what appeared to be an unimpressive old monk, Zen master Huang-lung Nan, lecturing to a group of students. 

When the monk found out that the visitor was Lu Ch’un-yang, he insulted his famous visitor by saying, “I thought from your reputation that you were someone special,only now I see you are just a ghost guarding a corpse.” In other words, “You have cultivated this body of yours so that it might go on living forever, but since this is not the real you, you are just clinging to a dead material shell.

”Lu Ch’un-yang shot back: “The true man possesses the elixir of immortality inside. What is that useless body of yours worth compared to this?” but Zen master Huang-lung Nan calmly countered, “Even if you can drag your corpse through eternity without dying, in the end this is of little significance. ”Lu Ch’un-yang became very angry at this slight and drawing upon his superpowers, threw his sword at the Zen master to frighten the old monk.

The sword sliced through the air headed at the master but surprisingly, stopped in front of the monk, reversed itself, and then started to fly back toward Lu Ch’un-yang!

Lu Ch’un-yang was incredulous at this turn of events. How was this counter-feat possible from an old bald-headed monk who did not exhibit any signs of superpowers at all? Lu Ch’un-yang never imagined that a Zen monk could be so powerful. Lu Ch’un-yang relaxed his defenses and opened up a little at this event, and then started to engage the old monk in dialogue to see what he had to say.

Zen master Huang-lung Nan challenged him to reveal what he had learned through his many years of cultivating his physical nature. Master Huang-lung Nan said, “You do not have to resort to this sort of technique. Just a moment ago you said you had some real ability. Tell me what spiritual truth you have realized.”

Because of the subsequent conversation, Lu Ch’un-yang realized that he had been holding tightly onto the view of an inherent ego, and clinging to his physical body rather than cultivating emptiness. When Master Huang-lung Nan taught him that Zen meant emptying the mind of concepts, judgements, opinions and ego, Lu Ch’un-yang finally awakened in enlightenment, and later wrote a verse to commemorate his realization:

I throw away the gourd and drop the zither,

I don’t long for the gold in the mercury any longer.

After I saw Master Huang-lung just once, I finally realized

that I had always been wrongly using my mind.

There are many stories like this which all show that enlightenment requires adherence to consistent and determined spiritual practice, and continually working until the right circumstances come together for an awakening. From this story we can also see that laying a correct spiritual foundation through consistent training and practice can result in instantaneous enlightenment when one is prompted correctly.

Simply “practicing the physical nature,” which includes cultivating your body’s energy channels and chi, will not result in spiritual enlightenment. However, it can indeed banish sickness and help prolong life. These results correspond to a physical purification that can in turn help you to progress on the spiritual path."

As with a lot of things In life, it's very rarely a matter of either this, or that. Usually, it's both.

Walking the middle road tends to be the best way to go. Your mileage may vary.

Finally, Here's "The Hundred Word Inscription":

To nurture the vital energy, the ch'i,

keep watch without words

To subdue the mind, act without acting

Recognize the patriarch in movement and stillness 

There is nothing to be concerned about:

who else are you seeking?

What's true and eternal must respond to beings 

To respond to beings you must not be deluded

If you are not deluded, real nature remains by itself

When real nature remains, vital energy returns by itself

When vital energy returns, the elixir spontaneously forms

In the vessel the fire [of prajna] and

the water [of jnana] are matched 

Yin and yang are born in succession 

Universal transformation rolls like thunder 

Sweet dew sprinkles down on Sumeru 

Drink for yourself the wine of immortality

As you roam free, no one will know,

Sit and listen to the tune of the 

zither without strings

Clearly comprehend the working of creation

It's all in these twenty lines

A true ladder straight to heaven.

May we all have the good fortune to get there. :D And Beyond!

Cheers!

Edited by Infolad1
  • Like 3

Then somewhere there was Hamlet and Julius Ceaser who was a romulan by consensus.

Just because I've never read Hamlet because I came from a poor school where we begged for soup and stole pocket watches they picked on me. :-(

For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
Th' oppressor’s wrong, the proud man’s contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law’s delay,
The insolence of office, and the spurns
That patient merit of th' unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? Who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscovered country from whose bourn
No traveler returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all,
And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
And enterprises of great pith and moment
With this regard their currents turn awry,
And lose the name of action.
  • Like 1

As an attempt to get the thread back on topic, here's an excerpt from William Bodri's

"Spiritual Paths and Their Meditation Techniques" That discusses Physical Immortality,

versus enlightenment:

Amazon Link: http://www.amazon.com/Spiritual-Paths-Their-Meditation-Techniques/dp/1452869367/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1438141584&sr=1-4&keywords=william+bodri&pebp=1438141594695&perid=1YNJ0Z0TM29C2JQ99Z3W]http://www.amazon.com/Spiritual-Paths-Their-Meditation-Techniques/dp/1452869367/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1438141584&sr=1-4&keywords=william+bodri&pebp=1438141594695&perid=1YNJ0Z0TM29C2JQ99Z3W[/url]

"Even though most Immortals remain within the Realm of Desire, because they have highly developed their powers of one-pointed concentration for such a long period of time, it is possible that they can become enlightened in an instant if they are shown the correct path of cultivation and given a chance to reach the proper sort of awakening. If they are lucky enough to meet a good teacher, and all the right circumstances come together, they can become enlightened immediately.

This was the case of the Taoist immortal Lu Ch’un-yang, who was author of the“Hundred Word Inscription” which describes the cultivation practices that will bring about the stage of the Immortals and yet higher spiritual attainments. This poem collapses the entire road of spiritual cultivation into just a few words, and has been used to train countless generations of spiritual adepts. Lu Ch’un-yang’s story is a very instructive one.

For years he had cultivated his internal chi energy to the point where he had reached the stage of the Immortals. He could live forever in the world without dying, and had attained many spiritual powers such as making himself invisible and projecting a double of his physical self. Because of his internal energy, like the Tibetan adept Milarepa he could even fly through the air.

One day he was actually flying through the sky and noticed a particularly auspicious aura around a mountain. When he dropped down to investigate the source of the aura, all he could find was what appeared to be an unimpressive old monk, Zen master Huang-lung Nan, lecturing to a group of students.

When the monk found out that the visitor was Lu Ch’un-yang, he insulted his famous visitor by saying, “I thought from your reputation that you were someone special,only now I see you are just a ghost guarding a corpse.” In other words, “You have cultivated this body of yours so that it might go on living forever, but since this is not the real you, you are just clinging to a dead material shell.

”Lu Ch’un-yang shot back: “The true man possesses the elixir of immortality inside. What is that useless body of yours worth compared to this?” but Zen master Huang-lung Nan calmly countered, “Even if you can drag your corpse through eternity without dying, in the end this is of little significance. ”Lu Ch’un-yang became very angry at this slight and drawing upon his superpowers, threw his sword at the Zen master to frighten the old monk.

The sword sliced through the air headed at the master but surprisingly, stopped in front of the monk, reversed itself, and then started to fly back toward Lu Ch’un-yang!

Lu Ch’un-yang was incredulous at this turn of events. How was this counter-feat possible from an old bald-headed monk who did not exhibit any signs of superpowers at all? Lu Ch’un-yang never imagined that a Zen monk could be so powerful. Lu Ch’un-yang relaxed his defenses and opened up a little at this event, and then started to engage the old monk in dialogue to see what he had to say.

Zen master Huang-lung Nan challenged him to reveal what he had learned through his many years of cultivating his physical nature. Master Huang-lung Nan said, “You do not have to resort to this sort of technique. Just a moment ago you said you had some real ability. Tell me what spiritual truth you have realized.”

Because of the subsequent conversation, Lu Ch’un-yang realized that he had been holding tightly onto the view of an inherent ego, and clinging to his physical body rather than cultivating emptiness. When Master Huang-lung Nan taught him that Zen meant emptying the mind of concepts, judgements, opinions and ego, Lu Ch’un-yang finally awakened in enlightenment, and later wrote a verse to commemorate his realization:

I throw away the gourd and drop the zither,

I don’t long for the gold in the mercury any longer.

After I saw Master Huang-lung just once, I finally realized

that I had always been wrongly using my mind.

There are many stories like this which all show that enlightenment requires adherence to consistent and determined spiritual practice, and continually working until the right circumstances come together for an awakening. From this story we can also see that laying a correct spiritual foundation through consistent training and practice can result in instantaneous enlightenment when one is prompted correctly.

Simply “practicing the physical nature,” which includes cultivating your body’s energy channels and chi, will not result in spiritual enlightenment. However, it can indeed banish sickness and help prolong life. These results correspond to a physical purification that can in turn help you to progress on the spiritual path."

As with a lot of things In life, it's very rarely a matter of either this, or that. Usually, it's both.

Walking the middle road tends to be the best way to go. Your mileage may vary.

Finally, Here's "The Hundred Word Inscription":

To nurture the vital energy, the ch'i,

keep watch without words

To subdue the mind, act without acting

Recognize the patriarch in movement and stillness

There is nothing to be concerned about:

who else are you seeking?

What's true and eternal must respond to beings

To respond to beings you must not be deluded

If you are not deluded, real nature remains by itself

When real nature remains, vital energy returns by itself

When vital energy returns, the elixir spontaneously forms

In the vessel the fire [of prajna] and

the water [of jnana] are matched

Yin and yang are born in succession

Universal transformation rolls like thunder

Sweet dew sprinkles down on Sumeru

Drink for yourself the wine of immortality

As you roam free, no one will know,

Sit and listen to the tune of the

zither without strings

Clearly comprehend the working of creation

It's all in these twenty lines

A true ladder straight to heaven.

May we all have the good fortune to get there. :D And Beyond!

Cheers!

Do you really believe all this stuff as it is written ? The world is full of myths and legends, gods and immortals. Parse any civilisation or culture and it is riven with examples. Even in my home town we have a legend of a dragon killed by a great sword. This that was only a few centuries ago. Where the story came from and why it persists is unknown. Perhaps it's a metaphor ? But certainly we did not have fire breathing, flying lizards prowling the villages a few hundred years back. However the man who supposedly despatched the dragon lived a very sweet life from then on.

That hundred word inscription though is a different thing altogether, although the wording is somewhat strange - being and being can be interpreted in two senses and so there is equivocation. If it is, as I think it is intended, not as beings ( supernatural creature ) but just as 'being' then it makes perfect sense to me.

Edited by Karl

The world is not drawn with pen & ink, my friend. I nudge you because I hope to see you see tints and shades.

I am reminded of something...

When I was in college in the early '80s, I went to a Wizard of Oz party. A girl I knew was there and I was near her as the movie began on TV. I was dismayed to see tears on her cheeks after Dorothy dropped her house on the Wicked Witch of the East. I was totally at a loss and started to try to console or comfort her blindly.

No, she explained, I didn't understand. This was her favorite movie --her family made a ritual of watching it together each Autumn when it was broadcast on network TV as was the tradition in the States for so many years. Hers was a poor country family, however, and she had no idea that the movie was in color after Dorothy landed in Oz.

Ruby slippers, yellow brick road, Emerald City, horse of a different color -- all suddenly took on new meaning.

• Like 1