ChiDragon

Acupuncture Study

where's the yin? Where's the yang?

400_F_24993566_3I6DQw3wGTxwxbtF1pLeRdCkO

The front is Yang and the back is Yin.

The outer side of the arms and legs are Yang; and the inner parts are Yin.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

You sure know how to make life complicated.

other way 'round when viewing the body as a whole

• Like 1

You sure know how to make life complicated.

Wait until someone explain acupuncture to you and tell you about the meridians.

other way 'round when viewing the body as a whole

Are we not viewing the body as a whole....??? Please check with the acupuncture diagrams.... ;)

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

Are we not viewing the body as a whole....??? Please check with the acupuncture diagrams.... ;)

Do you mean the diagrams that have the Ren ("Sea of all Yin") channel in the front and the Du ("Master of all yang") channel in the back? One big yang meridian, the stomach, is on the front while the two even bigger yang meridians, bladder and gall-bladder are on the back and sides. So, I'm not sure which charts you're referring to here, CD. Or maybe you read my post backwards?

The back is yang to the front's yin. It's a classic, basic principle of Taiji. Like I said previously, the front is the soft, vulnerable side, the side we want to protect. The back is the hard, protective side, the side we turn toward danger and "evil" influences.

But we can intentionally reverse the roles, and we do it all the time. That's what we do.

And again, to the OP, yin and yang aren't permanent states, and are in and of themselves completely pointless. It's the tension between them that gives us what we refer to as "life". Nothing is ever 100% either/or. Yin and yang are in a never-ending, fluid, seamless battle with each other. They're constanting striving for perfect balance, but can never acheive it. I wish you would try to understand that, because that's where the usefulness, and the beauty, of all these mind-games is found.

You really need those dots in your av.

• Like 3

I was referring to the diagram as shown to identify the planes of the body to indicate the yang and yin attributes. The front plane of the body is being Yang and the back is Yin. I was not talking about the meridians.

....... So, I'm not sure which charts you're referring to here, CD. Or maybe you read my post backwards?

• Like 1

I was referring to the diagram as shown to identify the planes of the body to indicate the yang and yin attributes. The front plane of the body is being Yang and the back is Yin. I was not talking about the meridians.

well, when you bring up acupuncture, I assume meridians. What kind of acupuncture were you referring to? Could you post a link to this chart? It sounds interesting.

well, when you bring up acupuncture, I assume meridians. What kind of acupuncture were you referring to? Could you post a link to this chart? It sounds interesting.

If you are interested in acupuncture, let's start a new thread. We don't want to derail this one. Do we...??? :)

soaring crane....
Per your request:
Acupuncture chart

This chart indicates the inner part of the body is Yin and the outer of the body is Yang.
Please see Figures 4 to 7.

At the top of Figure 4: All three meridians at the inner part of the hand are considered Yin().
手太肺經 (Lung Meridian)
手厥心包經 (Pericardium Meridian)
手少心經 (Heart Meridian)

At the top of Figure 5. All three meridians at the outer part of the hand are considered Yang().
手太小腸經 (Small Intestine Meridian)
手少三焦經 (Triple Energizer Meridian)
明大腸經 (Large Intestine Meridian)

Please see the chart below.

Edited by ChiDragon

You've got this part mixed up.

Wowzers, he sure does :blink:

Talk about blind leading the blind. 扯淡!

You've got this part mixed up.

I believe something got lost in the translation somewhere.

Are you familiar with this expression:

抱陽負陰 (embrace Yang, with Yin on the back).

why were my posts removed from the original thread??? please restore post #6 of THIS thread to its original location. I address the OP, and I feel that up until that point, everything was perfectly on topic. Actually, everything was on topic to begin with, because the discussion was about identifying yan and yang. This split was unnecessary.

To the subject at hand: if you raise your arms above your head, palms forward, all the yang meridians along the harder, outside of the arms are in the back and yin meridians on the soft inner side of the arms are facing the front, yin, side. This is the position that brings the flow into the natural state ie yang sinks, yin rises.

I'm not sure how many more ways I can explain this. The back is yang, the front is yin. Just compare their characteristics.

Ren mai/Du mai are the clearest indicators, I suppose.

• Like 1

Wowzers, he sure does :blink:

Talk about blind leading the blind. 扯淡!

Walker, your comments are always welcome. Friendly or unfriendly, it doesn't bother me anymore one way or the other. :)

The concept of Wu Wei is keeping my spirit high. I guess one might say that I am emotionless.

• Like 1

To the subject at hand: if you raise your arms above your head, palms forward, all the yang meridians along the harder, outside of the arms are in the back and yin meridians on the soft inner side of the arms are facing the front, yin, side. This is the position that brings the flow into the natural state ie yang sinks, yin rises.

I'm not sure how many more ways I can explain this. The back is yang, the front is yin. Just compare their characteristics.

Ren mai/Du mai are the clearest indicators, I suppose.

I think it possible he was confused because of what I put in bold of your post. Anatomical position for acupuncture has confused others before as they don't realize or have never been shown what "anatomical position for acupuncture" is

• Like 1

Do you mean the diagrams that have the Ren ("Sea of all Yin") channel in the front and the Du ("Master of all yang") channel in the back? One big yang meridian, the stomach, is on the front while the two even bigger yang meridians, bladder and gall-bladder are on the back and sides. So, I'm not sure which charts you're referring to here, CD. Or maybe you read my post backwards?

soaring crane......

I know what you are talking about now. Yes, of cause, there are some yang and yin meridians going through the front and the back of the body. However, they are running down to the inner and outer sides arms and legs. Please note that the yang-yin attributes of the meridians are determined by the location of the sides of the arms and legs. E.g. If the meridian is located at the outer side of the arms or legs, then it was considered to be yang; the inner side is yin.

The chart you have requested will justify that as I had indicated in post #10 and 11.

PS.....

I granted you that some of the Yang meridians happen to be in the back of the body and the Yin in the front. Please kindly in mind that the yin-yang attributes of the meridians are not determined by the front or the back of the body. It is determined by the sides of the arms and legs.

As far as the front and back of the body, they have their own attributes such as the front is yang and the back is yin. They are not determined by the attributes of the meridians.

Edited by ChiDragon

Re:

-----

"The back is yang to the front's yin. It's a classic, basic principle of Taiji. Like I said previously, the front is the soft, vulnerable side, the side we want to protect. The back is the hard, protective side, the side we turn toward danger and "evil" influences."

-----

If we are looking in terms of exansion and contraction, the front is expanded and the back is contracted.

We don't turn our expanded side to danger.

This is opposite from TCM YinYang classification which sees Heaven as Yang and Earth as Yin. This is opposite from looking at them in terms of expansion and contraction. It is looking at their action. Not their physicality or structure.

Which way is more practical?

If we are adapting YinYang thinking to western terms, some have felt that structure would make more sense for people accustomed to physical descriptions of phenomena as opposed to metaphysical descriptions of phenomena.

The same issue is found in the classifications of organs by both structure and function.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 3

Please don't confuse the issue here....!!!

[quoe]If we are looking in terms of expansion and contraction, the front is expanded and the back is contracted.
Front / back and expansion / contraction must be looked at separately to determine their attributes.

Front is yang
Back is yin

Expansion is yang
Contraction is yin

Structure and action have their stand alone attributes. There is no difference in the concept of yin/yang between the west and east. No double standards....!!!

Edited by ChiDragon

Re:

-----

"Front is yang
Back is yin

Expansion is yang
Contraction is yin

Structure and action have their stand alone attributes. There is not difference in the concept of yin/yang between the west and east. No double standards....!!!"

-----

There is no double standard. Just a minor paradox.

We have a choice to look in terms of physicality or in terms of action. In terms of action, expansion is yang. But in terms of physicality and structure, expansion is yin.

We can say that Heaven is active and thus yang in comparison to the Earth, which is less active and thus yin. But if we look at structure, Heaven is diffuse and "blown apart" while Earth is dense and compact. Looking in this way at structure, we could say that a bone is more yang than a teardrop.

If we are talking to people educated in the science of dualistic materialism, we are better understood when using a physical/structural basis for YinYang classification. They seem to have less of a problem seeing the structure of, for example, "Heaven", than they do seeing the metaphysical action of "Heaven".

If we look at structure, the back of the body is contracted in comparison to the front. The nervous system, epitomized by the spinal cord, has a more solid and compacted structure but a more expanded and less active function than the hollow (expanded) digestive organs with active functions located in the front of the body.

I very much understand the traditional classifications based on energetics (metaphysical), but I very often use a more modern classification based on structure (physical). I will be sure to adjust my useage to the content and expectations of a particular thread here from now on.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 1

The duality of yin/yang must be coexisted to be in harmony.
What that mean is:

yin/yin is out of harmony.
yang/yang is out of harmony.

yin/yang is in harmony.