Apech

Egyptian Pyramids as maps of the Duat

Just picking up from a PM conversation I'm having with Nungali. I studied the Pyramid Texts for a long time and reached some conclusions about this.

The Duat is the inner space of dreams, after death and shamanic journeys etc. Usually translated as Underworld or Netherworld but the word actually means something like 'star realm'. Dua can mean star or door or 'giving praise'. And the 't' ending signifies a place or similar as well as being a feminine ending. So Dua-t.

Early peoples found that there were natural geological sites that produced shifts in consciousness. Sacred sites. Could be caves, or rivers, or rocks, hills or even the landscape generally. After some time they began to 'enhance' these sites by deliberately placing stones, sometimes carved, sometimes natural at key points. For instance an recent BBC docu on Stonehenge showed that although the main henge is more less contemporary with the Great Pyramid (2500 BC) the wider site was used back into the mesolithic because of specific natural features. the same is true of the older Egyptian sites so there is no doubt that the Great Pyramid itself or at least the site its on goes back well towards to end of the last ice age maybe 10 or 12,000 BC.

The site in Turkey/Armenia Gobekli Tepe demonstrates stone working skill existed form these early times.

So the initial purpose of the pyramids was to focus and make use of naturally occurring energy features of the earth to enable certain practices.

We don't have anything written down by the Egyptians till 2350BC the date of the Pyramid of Unas (Wenis) at the end of the 5th Dynasty. His was a small pyramid because Egypt was in decline having lost the economic power of the Old Kingdom through progressive poor harvests arising probably from climate change. After the 6th Dynasty it fell in the First Intermediate period of complete social collapse.

But the Pyramid texts show us that the pyramid was used for a process which involved the constituent parts of a person, the body, the ka, the ba and the shade. This was a process if transformation, purification, revivification and reintegration to form an entity called the 'akh' which was seen as a luminous 'effective' spirit. 'Effective' because it was capable of action.

The texts were placed on the various walls of the different chambers of the Pyramid and the whole structure forms a kind of 3D map of the Duat. By moving through the different chambers and performing magical acts the 'akh' was formed. Not just after death but in life also.

Although Egypt subsequently fell into decline, the practices were preserved. Middle Kingdom tombs have copies of the pyramid Texts and some Coffins of the Middle Kingdom have maps of the Book of the Two Ways' which also map out the Duat. In the New Kingdom this idea was continued int he form the Amduat which charts the sun gods journey through the Duat.

• Like 14

Thanks for your post Apech, you are one of the few "occultists", who are scholarly and balanced enough, that I will trust their judgement on ancient Egypt and the possible esoteric meaning of its text.

• Like 3

Thanks for your post Apech, you are one of the few "occultists", who are scholarly and balanced enough, that I will trust their judgement on ancient Egypt and the possible esoteric meaning of its text.

Thank you! Very kind words.

clap.gif

Thanks for emerging from the tomb with this :) .... I will love to participate ... but for now I have to go , mow, weed water recharge batteries, make breakfast

chop wood and carry water .

• Like 1

Thanks apech, very very interesting. Sorry in advance for all the questions i am about to ask :)

Just picking up from a PM conversation I'm having with Nungali. I studied the Pyramid Texts for a long time and reached some conclusions about this.

The Duat is the inner space of dreams, after death and shamanic journeys etc. Usually translated as Underworld or Netherworld but the word actually means something like 'star realm'. Dua can mean star or door or 'giving praise'. And the 't' ending signifies a place or similar as well as being a feminine ending. So Dua-t.

Is it true that it was also an ancient word for the female genitalia, and where we get the word 'twat' from?

But the Pyramid texts show us that the pyramid was used for a process which involved the constituent parts of a person, the body, the ka, the ba and the shade. This was a process if transformation, purification, revivification and reintegration to form an entity called the 'akh' which was seen as a luminous 'effective' spirit. 'Effective' because it was capable of action.

Yes! So many old traditions were trying to accomplish this, and my guess is Egypt was probably at the root of this?

The texts were placed on the various walls of the different chambers of the Pyramid and the whole structure forms a kind of 3D map of the Duat. By moving through the different chambers and performing magical acts the 'akh' was formed. Not just after death but in life also.

Do different chambers represent different parts of the Duat?

Do different parts of the Duat correspond to different parts of the person?

Also how much is known about the practices or magical acts for each location? Would you describe them?

Although Egypt subsequently fell into decline, the practices were preserved. Middle Kingdom tombs have copies of the pyramid Texts and some Coffins of the Middle Kingdom have maps of the Book of the Two Ways' which also map out the Duat. In the New Kingdom this idea was continued int he form the Amduat which charts the sun gods journey through the Duat.

So while the pyramids still seem to be indefinitely booked out by tourists, how do we accomplish the creation of the Akh?

Are the magical acts still functional without the pyramids enhancement?

Thanks apech, very very interesting. Sorry in advance for all the questions i am about to ask :)

Is it true that it was also an ancient word for the female genitalia, and where we get the word 'twat' from?

I doubt if you would find a linguist who thinks there is an etymological connection. However the symbolism of the false door, the beautiful west seen as a goddess with her hair hanging down and so on .... if it's not the case then it should be.

Yes! So many old traditions were trying to accomplish this, and my guess is Egypt was probably at the root of this?

Do different chambers represent different parts of the Duat?

Do different parts of the Duat correspond to different parts of the person?

Also how much is known about the practices or magical acts for each location? Would you describe them?

Yes. Its very simple in the Old Kingdom. the sarcophagus itself, the sarcophagus chamber, the ante chamber and the niche chamber ... plus the entrance exit corridor.

Um .. no not really ... perhaps in a sense. the parts of the body/person are identified with gods.

I could (and will if you like) describe them but it would take a long post and its late here. They are described in the pyramid texts essentially ... although I am sure much has been lost in terms of exact procedures the basic ideas are there once you learn to read the text properly (not easy).

So while the pyramids still seem to be indefinitely booked out by tourists, how do we accomplish the creation of the Akh?

Are the magical acts still functional without the pyramids enhancement?

Absolutely don't need a pyramid ... in fact only kings and nobles could afford such things even then. Much of Egyptian magic relies on the power of words and thoughts. All you need is a body, ka, ba and shade ... which you have of course. Not saying its easy and I am not claiming to have done it by the way ... but in principle you can do it by visualization and so on. I think the grand designs of the large scale monumental works were there to embed these things in the culture. Of course if you could get access to a pyramid then all the better.

• Like 3

Thank you Apech :)

Yes. Its very simple in the Old Kingdom. the sarcophagus itself, the sarcophagus chamber, the ante chamber and the niche chamber ... plus the entrance exit corridor.

They represent different parts of the Duat or star realm? What parts or places do they represent?

Um .. no not really ... perhaps in a sense. the parts of the body/person are identified with gods.

I could (and will if you like) describe them but it would take a long post and its late here. They are described in the pyramid texts essentially ... although I am sure much has been lost in terms of exact procedures the basic ideas are there once you learn to read the text properly (not easy).

Naturally that would be Awesome!

Absolutely don't need a pyramid ... in fact only kings and nobles could afford such things even then. Much of Egyptian magic relies on the power of words and thoughts. All you need is a body, ka, ba and shade ... which you have of course. Not saying its easy and I am not claiming to have done it by the way ... but in principle you can do it by visualization and so on. I think the grand designs of the large scale monumental works were there to embed these things in the culture. Of course if you could get access to a pyramid then all the better.

Would you lead us through it or describe the process?

Where does one start? How are the body, ka, ba and shade conceptualized? Are there signs that it is working well?

Thank you Apech :)

They represent different parts of the Duat or star realm? What parts or places do they represent?

There are general divisions. the entrance to the Duat is through the horizon(s) West going in, East coming out. These are seen as kind of antechambers where transformation takes place ... called 'akhet'. You see the same word 'akh' for the spiritual entity and akh-et for the horizon ... its the place where the entity forms and become 'effective'. The liminal space between this world and the next. beyond that is a watery expanse called Wernes which means something like 'abundance'. It is rich with the power of renewal. Then you enter the imhet which means 'full up' and refers to the utter blackness of the deep Duat. from there you emerge into another watery environment and then to the Eastern horizon. So you go in in the West and come forth on the East on a solar path. This is from the Amduat book of the early New Kingdom.

Naturally that would be Awesome!

Would you lead us through it or describe the process?

Where does one start? How are the body, ka, ba and shade conceptualized? Are there signs that it is working well?

ok very briefly and in summary the process is a cycle. you have to repeat this cycle at least four times - but in practice probably many many times. It has nine stages.

1. orientate yourself with respect to the body, gather the parts of body and integrate.

2. invigorate the ka

3. dissolve into the Nun to pristine original awareness = Osiris

4. Release the ba from the body/earth

5. Fly up, or climb up a ladder, or float across the sky to the East

6. Experience the sunrise

7. Learn how to ascend and descend to and from the sky (up and down ladder at will)

8. return to 'body' / ka

9. exit Duat as akh free to do as you will.

It takes many years to perfect each stage. I have not done this. But there are signs for each step of progress.

I can explain how to do some of this in more detail if you want.

• Like 2

heard from a couple different sources (in person, reliable) that cultivating inside a pyramid, even one of your own construction, is powerful and qualitatively special.

Underworld = star realm ..... I like that. Just running on a wild postulation here (and somewhat 'counter -intuitive' ) the 'Osirian process' (of 're-birth' ) seems more connected to crops and agriculture and perhaps relates more to the Moon and Sun based cultures of the Middle and Old Kingdom. The stellar focus of the Old Kingdom (and perhaps its attempted revivals and copying in latter periods made 'intrusions' of these concepts into those latter times) often makes me think they well realised the day / night dynamic with the rotation of the earth.

That is ; one aspect is the Sun setting, going down and travelling under the earth to arise up from the 'otherside of underneath'. But it isnt the under earth it is a star realm. 'under' the Earth. It is as if they realised in day, there is one star, the Sun, but as the earth turns and we are in the shadow ( the Earth's sw.t Sw.t.gif ? ) the star (Sun) is obscured by the Earth and the 'shadow' allows us to see the multitude of stars and other Suns in the sky. So the 'underworld' is a 'star world' , 'giving praise' (adoration) is a 'door' ( a way to access something .... a path of Bhakti ( devotion) Yoga (union) ; a technique of and one of the paths of Magic). It seems to suggest to me that adoration of the 'female' aspect of the 'starry heavens' is a magical technique which allows one to pass through the door to the heavens.

Early peoples found that there were natural geological sites that produced shifts in consciousness. Sacred sites. Could be caves, or rivers, or rocks, hills or even the landscape generally. After some time they began to 'enhance' these sites by deliberately placing stones, sometimes carved, sometimes natural at key points. For instance an recent BBC docu on Stonehenge showed that although the main henge is more less contemporary with the Great Pyramid (2500 BC) the wider site was used back into the mesolithic because of specific natural features. the same is true of the older Egyptian sites so there is no doubt that the Great Pyramid itself or at least the site its on goes back well towards to end of the last ice age maybe 10 or 12,000 BC.

The site in Turkey/Armenia Gobekli Tepe demonstrates stone working skill existed form these early times.

So the initial purpose of the pyramids was to focus and make use of naturally occurring energy features of the earth to enable certain practices.

We don't have anything written down by the Egyptians till 2350BC the date of the Pyramid of Unas (Wenis) at the end of the 5th Dynasty. His was a small pyramid because Egypt was in decline having lost the economic power of the Old Kingdom through progressive poor harvests arising probably from climate change. After the 6th Dynasty it fell in the First Intermediate period of complete social collapse.

Ah ! I have not encountered this 'effective' concept of the Akh before, as opposed to the 'actions' of the other parts ... wheels are shifting and some things falling into place....

I have a confusion about this but will address it later where you detail this process

Yes, that is an important aspect. Many still think the 'Egyptian Book of the Dead' is a book.

It seems though that very different concepts were behind the parts that came from different eras ; concept by the designs in monumental architecture with no text (Old Kingdom), less complex architecture but the process outlined by text in the Middle Kingdom ...

... copied from Una's pyramid ? ...

... and the charting of the Sun's journey through the Duat in the Solar focused New Kingdom.

• Like 1

I doubt if you would find a linguist who thinks there is an etymological connection. However the symbolism of the false door, the beautiful west seen as a goddess with her hair hanging down and so on .... if it's not the case then it should be.

< peers closely inside one >

1717974_5013518-cnv01_lz.jpg

Please do when you have time.

here is my confusion: the interior of the GP and the P of Unas are very different; I can see the model of the Duat being represented in the unusually set out of the interior of the GP but that of Unas seems more like a mortuary temple (with security functions). Is it postulated that the ideas behind the set out of the GP interior was translated into text and written on the walls of Unas' pyramid as it didnt show that in its interior design.

If so is there any link between the two .... to show that the GP design was translated into the PTs ?

[ I am not trying to shoot the idea down, I like the idea and it seems to make a lot of sense to me. I know that if I run it by others though, this is a question they will ask me, so I am wondering if there are any linked stages? ]

I think we can do it still today, in some form or other. I dont think the pyramid is necessary.

Edited by Nungali

There are general divisions. the entrance to the Duat is through the horizon(s) West going in, East coming out. These are seen as kind of antechambers where transformation takes place ... called 'akhet'. You see the same word 'akh' for the spiritual entity and akh-et for the horizon ... its the place where the entity forms and become 'effective'. The liminal space between this world and the next. beyond that is a watery expanse called Wernes which means something like 'abundance'. It is rich with the power of renewal. Then you enter the imhet which means 'full up' and refers to the utter blackness of the deep Duat. from there you emerge into another watery environment and then to the Eastern horizon. So you go in in the West and come forth on the East on a solar path. This is from the Amduat book of the early New Kingdom.

The two watery environments are either side of / surrounding the 'Island of Sokar' ... yeah ? He is an interesting one! He seems to relate to deep processes of initiation, the central and crucial part of which ( the uniting with the 'spirit of Ra' ) seems to take place at midnight ( and hence the essential part of 'fortifying oneself for immortality') ... more on this below.

ok very briefly and in summary the process is a cycle. you have to repeat this cycle at least four times - but in practice probably many many times. It has nine stages.

Maybe 4 times a day ?

1. orientate yourself with respect to the body, gather the parts of body and integrate.

2. invigorate the ka

3. dissolve into the Nun to pristine original awareness = Osiris

4. Release the ba from the body/earth

5. Fly up, or climb up a ladder, or float across the sky to the East

6. Experience the sunrise

7. Learn how to ascend and descend to and from the sky (up and down ladder at will)

8. return to 'body' / ka

9. exit Duat as akh free to do as you will.

It takes many years to perfect each stage. I have not done this. But there are signs for each step of progress.

I can explain how to do some of this in more detail if you want.

Please do. In the meantime I am going to place my head on the chopping block .... here we go :

For years I practised (and still do occasionally, this thread has inspired me to resume my practice) Liber Resh ... adorations to the Sun (and its aspects) 4 times a day; dawn, noon, sunset and midnight.

Yes, It was a ritual / meditation published by Crowley ..... a pause for boos and hisses, thrown fruit and shit ....

( I am not advocating him here ... maybe we can drop the person and look just at the practice ? )

The dawn meditation (as I ended up developing it for myself) is very much as you describe. The noon one is a little intense ( 'Ahathoor' ... or another is substituted for the Noon Deity ( Sekhmet is a little to full on here for daily invocation), Sunset death has been linked with joy and the appreciation of life and living every day. Midnight and invocation of Kephra relates to what I wrote above but also has another dynamic.

I wrote about that before, and the leaving of a note which I would write to myself in the middle of the night ( which a certain wag here ... cough ,,, coughApechcough ... cough ) said he was sneaking in to my room and leaving :D .

What I realised here was ; my magical intention was to wake up in the middle of the night and affirm my self and practice, after a while it became automatic ... I trained myself to emerge from my unconscious sleeping state, to awaken in a magical state and do my adorations ( it got to the point where I couldnt remember if I had been awake and done the adoration when I awoke again in the morning - hence the note leaving - to another state where I was unsure who this 'unknown and unremembered' magical person was when consciousness became 'awake' and everyday and that awakened person at midnight wondered who this person was that awoke in the morning and assumed they were the one running the show.

It lead me to believe it was practice for maintaining the higher magical consciousness after death :unsure: .... the merging with the 'spirit of Ra' at midnight.

Doing the ritual 4 times a day, every day for months on end, is quiet powerful. Especially since I did the adorations in 'Egyptian' (my version of it) .... that really amped things up ! Incanting the 'adoration' in English ( Crowley's transliteration with some of my variations) is powerful, and significant in context as well.

Based on:

[ Basically; (He of) Behdet, the Great God, Lord of Heaven

("Re-Horus of the Two Horizons"), Chief of the Gods

("Re-Horus of the Two Horizons"), Chief of the Gods

God's Servant of Montu, Lord of Waset, Opener of the Door-leaves of Heaven in the Most Select of Places , True of Voice: "O Exalted-one! may he be praised, Great of Manifestations, the great Ba whom the gods fear, and who appears on his great throne, make the path of the Ba, the Akh, and the Shadow for I am equipped so that (I) might shine therein (as) an equipped-one. Make for me the path to the place in which Ra, Atum, Kephra and Hathor are therein." ]

The significant 'midnight point' of becoming one with Ra seems to be

" Appear on the throne of Ra!

Open the ways of the Khu!

Lighten the ways of the Ka!

The ways of the Khabs run through

To stir me or still me!

Aum! let it fill me! "

Some of the concepts outlined here in this thread will help me redefine and fine-tune the practice .

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Interestingly the 9 stages listed all relate to other magical practices and developments. But I better not expand on all that here.

For example 4. ... although I did Resh in my physical body (to make sure I did break the sleep cycle, I have done it this way as well. 4 is a basic requirement in any traditions.

All the others relate, interestingly, to teachings and 'attainments' in the 'Resh related corpus'.

But how simple and succinct Apech has collated them here !

Underworld = star realm ..... I like that. Just running on a wild postulation here (and somewhat 'counter -intuitive' ) the 'Osirian process' (of 're-birth' ) seems more connected to crops and agriculture and perhaps relates more to the Moon and Sun based cultures of the Middle and Old Kingdom. The stellar focus of the Old Kingdom (and perhaps its attempted revivals and copying in latter periods made 'intrusions' of these concepts into those latter times) often makes me think they well realised the day / night dynamic with the rotation of the earth.

The odd thing about Osiris is he doesn't get a mention till 5th Dynasty. Other gods such as Horus and Hathor and Neith are mentioned from the beginning. But by the time of Unas' Pyramid texts he appears fully integrated into the view of the Cosmos. I can think of a number of reasons why this should be most important that every person was an Osiris N. (where N is the name) ... so maybe in early cases it was not necessary to mention his name.

That is ; one aspect is the Sun setting, going down and travelling under the earth to arise up from the 'otherside of underneath'. But it isnt the under earth it is a star realm. 'under' the Earth. It is as if they realised in day, there is one star, the Sun, but as the earth turns and we are in the shadow ( the Earth's sw.t Sw.t.gif ? ) the star (Sun) is obscured by the Earth and the 'shadow' allows us to see the multitude of stars and other Suns in the sky. So the 'underworld' is a 'star world' , 'giving praise' (adoration) is a 'door' ( a way to access something .... a path of Bhakti ( devotion) Yoga (union) ; a technique of and one of the paths of Magic). It seems to suggest to me that adoration of the 'female' aspect of the 'starry heavens' is a magical technique which allows one to pass through the door to the heavens.

The interesting thing about the Duat is that it is sometimes said to be in the earth ... an underworld ... but also to be in the body of Nut (the sky). i resolve this by saying it is 'inner' to everything. An inner dimension accessible in certain ways ... hence the doorways, gates, portals ... as also land of the dead so access for ancestors.

Ah ! I have not encountered this 'effective' concept of the Akh before, as opposed to the 'actions' of the other parts ... wheels are shifting and some things falling into place....

I have a confusion about this but will address it later where you detail this process

Yes, that is an important aspect. Many still think the 'Egyptian Book of the Dead' is a book.

It seems though that very different concepts were behind the parts that came from different eras ; concept by the designs in monumental architecture with no text (Old Kingdom), less complex architecture but the process outlined by text in the Middle Kingdom ...

... copied from Una's pyramid ? ...

... and the charting of the Sun's journey through the Duat in the Solar focused New Kingdom.

There were changes in convention going into the New Kingdom. For instance the body was North South before that and then became East West. Confusingly some of the symbols and deities were still arranged as if it was North South which caused me many puzzled hours in the British Museum until I worked out what had happened.

Although I agree that the expression changed from period to period what they were expressing remained essentially the same. For instance the process became much more ethicalized in the New Kingdom with the weighing of the heart and so on ... while in the Old Kingdom it was just about do you know what to do and have you got the power to do it? Nothing to do with if you have been a good boy or not.

• Like 1

Please do when you have time.

here is my confusion: the interior of the GP and the P of Unas are very different; I can see the model of the Duat being represented in the unusually set out of the interior of the GP but that of Unas seems more like a mortuary temple (with security functions). Is it postulated that the ideas behind the set out of the GP interior was translated into text and written on the walls of Unas' pyramid as it didnt show that in its interior design.

If so is there any link between the two .... to show that the GP design was translated into the PTs ?

[ I am not trying to shoot the idea down, I like the idea and it seems to make a lot of sense to me. I know that if I run it by others though, this is a question they will ask me, so I am wondering if there are any linked stages? ]

OK ... in Unas you have the sarcophagus itself, then the sarcophagus chamber, then the akhet chamber, and then the three niched chamber. The three niched chamber held statue(s) of the king as a god = perfected soul. In the GP you have the Kings chamber = sarcophagus, the so called Queens chamber = three niched chamber (although it only has one corbelled niche), the akhet is symbolised by both the subteranean and the grand gallery passage. So the GP is obviously more complex but they contain the same elements.

I think we can do it still today, in some form or other. I dont think the pyramid is necessary.

• Like 1

Hold on... I'm busily building a pyramid in my backyard!

The ones in Egypt were pretty amazing. Fortunately I went during the off season. I'm sure if I had more cash onhand I could have spent the night there, but did not.

• Like 1

Interestingly the 9 stages listed all relate to other magical practices and developments. But I better not expand on all that here.

For example 4. ... although I did Resh in my physical body (to make sure I did break the sleep cycle, I have done it this way as well. 4 is a basic requirement in any traditions.

All the others relate, interestingly, to teachings and 'attainments' in the 'Resh related corpus'.

But how simple and succinct Apech has collated them here !

What's Resh? Maybe I should know but I can't think what that is.

Egypt is the granddaddy of a huge percentage of the western path ... so I agree there's nothing new in all this. But one thing I can say hand on heart it all comes from the Egyptian texts and so on and I have not back projected anything on to it.

the practices outlines are the basic core and there is much more elaboration to be found in the BoD for instance. What I outlined is from one small Pyramid.

The ones in Egypt were pretty amazing. Fortunately I went during the off season. I'm sure if I had more cash onhand I could have spent the night there, but did not.

Do you have a few thousand men in skirts and little beards walking around in bas relief to help you?

• Like 1

Do you have a few thousand men in skirts and little beards walking around in bas relief to help you?

I am working on that, currently accepting volunteers. Also an indiegogo campaign for "A pyramid in BKA's backyward project".

I am working on that, currently accepting volunteers. Also an indiegogo campaign for "A pyramid in BKA's backyward project".

You need a gang leader with a whistle called 'Toot-I'm-Coming' ... and his wife who hardly ever shows up called Rare-missus.

(you know sometimes I laugh so hard at my own jokes ... shame nobody else does :))

• Like 2

I wonder if this is similar to tha nazi mantauk experiments. They basically had a man who would go into a deep dream state and then would follow instructions that they gave him. It basically went, fly up to the sky, find an elevator, take the elevator down to the bottom-most floor. Then he would get out of the elevator and enter a "room." From this room he could do a lot of different things. He would lift weights, and also emerge himself into a hot tub-like bath to heal himself. His physical body on the outside would get stronger from the lifting and his body would also heal at an incredible rate from the hot bath.

Edited by MooNiNite

I wonder if this is similar to tha nazi mantauk experiments. They basically had a man who would go into a deep dream state and then would follow instructions that they gave him. It basically went, fly up to the sky, find an elevator, take the elevator down to the bottom-most floor. Then he would get out of the elevator and enter a "room." From this room he could do a lot of different things. He would lift weights, and also emerge himself into a hot tub-like bath to heal himself. His physical body on the outside would get stronger from the lifting and his body would also heal at an incredible rate from the hot bath.

4300 years of separation says no.

be careful of 'exterior slip'

image-08-large.jpg

• Like 1

Dont listen to him BKA ... thats just silly.

because we all know ....

6294278_orig.jpg

• Like 3