Sign in to follow this  
rookie

what is Buddhist sickness?

Hang on, Don't get your panties in a wad! This is no slam on Buddhism.

I remember hearing this term used but I cannot remember where or exactly what it refers to.

I am pretty certain it relates to the taoist perspective of certain buddhist attitudes and beliefs.

Does anyone know where this originated and its original meaning?

Thanks

It refers to the mistaken belief held by some of them that they own the keys to the Truth and/or that every other system is wrong.

• Like 2

It's when we get sick of reading those evangelical fundamentalist Buddhist posts on TTB.

Buddhists aren't like that hence my conclusion that those who post that sickening bilge aren't Buddhists at all.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 3

I would say it probably has to do with focusing exclusively on cultivating wisdom/ the upper dantien. Wisdom ultimatly is seeing that everything is empty, or on a basic level is undifferentiated from everything else. When you cultivate this attitude exclusively and ignore the lower dantien reality of the situation, the way things are, then you are unbalanced and you have a problem. That's pretty much my personal experience with it.

Instead of being receptive to the solidity ond form of the world, you get stuck in negating life as empty. As a result you tend to view 'physical' life development as worthless and your life suffers. Instead of being open to things, you shut them out.

Edited by Dharmakaya
  • Like 2

There's " QiGong Psychosis" ( so called) as well.

My call is that it's not so much the paths as sends people psychotic or sick it's the fact that the paths attract some psychotic and sick people.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Buddhist sickness? Sure. Why else would there be a need for Medicine Buddha?

• Like 2

There is Zen sickness, for example, that Zen Master Hakuin contracted from concentrating too hard on his koans. He sought the advice of a Taoist master who taught him a meditation technique to help.

• Like 1

I would say it probably has to do with focusing exclusively on cultivating wisdom/ the upper dantien. Wisdom ultimatly is seeing that everything is empty, or on a basic level is undifferentiated from everything else. When you cultivate this attitude exclusively and ignore the lower dantien reality of the situation, the way things are, then you are unbalanced and you have a problem. That's pretty much my personal experience with it.

Instead of being receptive to the solidity ond form of the world, you get stuck in negating life as empty. As a result you tend to view 'physical' life development as worthless and your life suffers. Instead of being open to things, you shut them out.

This sounds pretty close to what I remember and have seen in some.

I thought there was an historical reference to the usage.

Maybe someone will come forward with it.

Thanks.

There is Zen sickness, for example, that Zen Master Hakuin contracted from concentrating too hard on his koans. He sought the advice of a Taoist master who taught him a meditation technique to help.

Yes this sounds like an example of it.

Do you know the time period?

Could it be that Buddhist sickness arises from reading some of threads on the Buddhist sub forum of TBs? I think I may have acquired immunity... I hope so anyway.

• Like 3

If a Buddhist has a sickness, then the Buddhist is not a Buddhist....... :)

really?

sounds pretty delusional to me

I've seen HH the Dalai Lama suffering from a bad cold.

He's about as Buddhist as anyone can get.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Could it be that Buddhist sickness arises from reading some of threads on the Buddhist sub forum of TBs? I think I may have acquired immunity... I hope so anyway.

Does your ghost cat have immunity? Actually, your cat seems as if it has not adapted to the leash around its neck.

Edited by ralis

Does your ghost cat have immunity? Actually, your cat seems as if it has not adapted to the leash around its neck.

No never did that collar lasted about the second it took to take the photo ... it was supposed to get rid of his fleas.

No never did that collar lasted about the second it took to take the photo ... it was supposed to get rid of his fleas.

Your cat has an interesting expression. Almost human.

Your cat has an interesting expression. Almost human.

yes it was a great cat, intelligent and good hunter but unfortunately died last year ... hence ghost cat.

• Like 1

yes it was a great cat, intelligent and good hunter but unfortunately died last year ... hence ghost cat.

Did it die from cat sickness?

Did it die from cat sickness?

Kidney failure its very common with cats. Buddhists die from karma failure I believe.

Kidney failure its very common with cats. Buddhists die from karma failure I believe.

Yes, heard the same, on both counts.

Sorry for your loss. Do you have another cat now? We have a black and white one back home named Mickey. After the Mouse. Haven't yet heard of a mouse named Felix though. Im sure there's one out there somewhere. :D

Edited by C T

Yes, heard the same, on both counts.

Sorry for your loss. Do you have another cat now? We have a black and white one back home named Mickey. After the Mouse. Haven't yet heard of a mouse named Felix though. Im sure there's one out there somewhere. :D

We do. Actually we have seven cos the One begat Six gatinhos.

really?

sounds pretty delusional to me

I've seen HH the Dalai Lama suffering from a bad cold.

He's about as Buddhist as anyone can get.

I have not heard that a Chinese Buddhist die of cancer yet.

I have not heard that a Chinese Buddhist die of cancer yet.

You dont know many Chinese then, is my guess.

Sign in to follow this