Sign in to follow this  
nine tailed fox

Spiritual career

removed, didn't notice the post above

Edited by aboo

That being said ... If you really get a good idea and have a mind for business, anything is possible. Just try to be realistic about your choices. There are no mistakes, only lessons. If you see it this way, you're half way there.

• Like 2

I am from India btw and believe me, there is much more pressure to get a job and get married, compare to any other country

I don't wanna become a sadhu or become a teacher to get money

That's not adventure

I get thrill in the journey

I wanna experience that journey, that journey of exploring unknown, like a fictional novel story

But it should be spiritual,/magical/esoteric journey

Like travelling the world exploring unknown

But I want this to be a career

I wish there was some secret society or something which would pay for these type of adventures, pay for all the expenses

And I will just explore the mysteries and even get paid for it

That's adventurous

This society does good work in India....

http://www.belurmath.org/

They are always recruiting.

every job is spiritual.

it seems that what the main vein of this thread means by 'spiritual career', is a career that will further enable them in what they personally perceive as being a 'spiritual career/means of sustaining oneself'

"pay me monies to show you b spiritual cause am moar spiritual than yew"

yea work sucks, sometimes work sucks a lot. but if you aren't just as exhausted/challenged by your 'spiritual path', then what exactly are you practicing

• Like 1

Spiritual career? They don't go together.... You can be a spiritual teacher when you are young ONLY if your path is called for. Because that would be a very, very difficult undertaking to genuinely follow the path when you are supposed to.....live like a normal 18 year-old. I was the so-called enlightened when I was 18, not by choice. Is just how my life unfolded. I tried to live in the Samsara but eventually it is all meaningless to me just the idea of it alone (getting a nice paying job, getting married and to have kids, spending tons of disposable incomes on hobbies, and etc). Believe me, it was hard back then, it was hard afterward, it was hard even now. I possessed enough Dharma wisdom to see through my life for what it is. I have no anguish or any sense of regrets.

Don't wait until you are retired because by that time you may have already accumulated tons of negative karmas. Normally, even for the spiritually gifted cultivator, it takes at least 10 years to to cultivate the mind and the body to have the ability to complete the MCO. You think you could achieve any level of cultivation level within few years after you retired? :) After you have spent more than few decades in generating negative karmas?

Edited by ChiForce
  • Like 1

this is more exciting than girls hehehehe :D

My wildest dream would be travelling the world learning and researching these mysterious things

Like the hero of a fictional story

Omg even this thoughts makes me feel so happy and excited

I want to make this my career

Is this possible ?? can you convert your interest of spirituality , into your career ?

Short answer, yes. Absolutely.

Longer answer: it helps to specialize. The more you can offer the knowledge you're gaining back, the more people will support you in your dream. I suggest finding the most exciting area: is it martial arts? Nutrition? Superpowers? Something you can stay up late working on and get up early to keep working on. Go hardcore on this area as much as possible, doing anything to evolve your knowledge, whether it's forum rolling or reading books or going to seminars or waiting outside of seminars you can't afford to talk to people on lunch break about what they're learning... the idea is to advance your knowledge to be among the best in the field, and then go one step further. Learn the known field inside and out. Once you're at that level, every next step you go beyond that is a new innovation.

If you think like that, you can become world class very quickly. The trick is to pick the most ridiculously exciting area, because it's going to take so much attention that it has to be fun to you, rather than work. If you can do that you will never need to "work."

I wish my parents had taught me this when I was watching Highlander at 12 and pretending I was immortal. But I was able to gangster my way into doing this anyway on raw intuition. PM me if you're really serious, we can create a mastermind group and make it happen. Akatsuki style ;)

Spiritual career? They don't go together.... You can be a spiritual teacher when you are young ONLY if your path is called for. Because that would be a very, very difficult undertaking to genuinely follow the path when you are supposed to.....live like a normal 18 year-old. I was the so-called enlightened when I was 18, not by choice. Is just how my life unfolded. I tried to live in the Samsara but eventually it is all meaningless to me just the idea of it alone (getting a nice paying job, getting married and to have kids, spending tons of disposable incomes on hobbies, and etc). Believe me, it was hard back then, it was hard afterward, it was hard even now. I possessed enough Dharma wisdom to see through my life for what it is. I have no anguish or any sense of regrets.

Don't wait until you are retired because by that time you may have already accumulated tons of negative karmas. Normally, even for the spiritually gifted cultivator, it takes at least 10 years to to cultivate the mind and the body to have the ability to complete the MCO. You think you could achieve any level of cultivation level within few years after you retired? :) After you have spent more than few decades in generating negative karmas?

Agree that spiritual and career do not go together.

Unlike 'jobs', careers are associated with professions requiring some degree of professional formation.

There is a living to be had in the spirituality business.

There's some who advertise on here doing pretty well.

Jobbing psychics will usually manage to pay the bills.

Channelers who don't lose the plot get a living albeit only a few make the big time.

Guru- ing pays well for those who can make it work.

Sarlos Guru Rating Service has a league table, get into the upper brackets on Sarlo's and you are earning a decent living.

Tarot Card readers can pick up useful pin money or more via a seaside booth in a popular resort if you can get in and bribe the gypsies - who got there first- to leave you alone.

Stage Mediums do well in the UK working the civic hall and regional theatre circuit with their one person shows.

You do need someone with you to staff the box office and sell your merchandise after the gig though, if not your life partner; then that person has to be paid.

Healing Sanctuary work can pay well if you can heal but that relies mainly on donations.

Mindfulness Coaching and Mentoring ( if qualified) can bring in a reasonable wage but it is seasonal work September through May.

You'll not earn through the summer.

Teaching a Martial Art will bring pin money or a good living if you own ( not rent space in) the dojo.

There are job opportunities aplenty in the spirituality industry but none of them are 'careers' as such.

I am from India btw and believe me, there is much more pressure to get a job and get married, compare to any other country

I don't wanna become a sadhu or become a teacher to get money

That's not adventure

I get thrill in the journey

I wanna experience that journey, that journey of exploring unknown, like a fictional novel story

But it should be spiritual,/magical/esoteric journey

Like travelling the world exploring unknown

But I want this to be a career

I wish there was some secret society or something which would pay for these type of adventures, pay for all the expenses

And I will just explore the mysteries and even get paid for it

That's adventurous

They call their spiritual retreats, people from all over the world will pay to join you. You need really good promotional and graphic design skills to pull this off though. However, you likely have to have been practicing for at least 20 years to pull this off, as you have to have something extremely valid to teach. (well or not, but....)

I don't see why spiritual and career can't go together. My teacher actually sort of pushed me into it; he felt that me practicing for 4-8 hours per day everyday (instead of my hour or 2) would really up my progress. He was right. So he gave me many pointers. At least now folks get to train with me or purchase my items instead of from some book learned wanker ;).

I hope though that anyone getting into this has at least tried to run a mundane business first and/or helped others with their mundane businesses... and of course have proficient spiritual skill/training in their particular spiritual path (not self taught).

Edited by BaguaKicksAss
  • Like 1

Btw are there any university degrees or something like that in the field of spirituality ?

I know that you can get a degree on Tcm, but that's the only one I know

Btw are there any university degrees or something like that in the field of spirituality ?

That are legit? Not really. Though once you have your bachelors, some universities have a mythology program which is quite extensive. Or perhaps anthropology, or religious studies. 8 years of schooling, which is standard for quite a few careers. Then there are the fake university degrees some people fall for, that you can buy from the universal life church. (only people without any critical thinking skills fall for those). Hmmm now that I think about it, University of Berkley has some pretty out there programs....

Just looked, wow, you can get a university degree (Doctorate) and listed as Sadhu before your name on the certificate! (for $119!) You can also get a certificate which says you are a saint (for an extra $10)! ;)

This is how many of the newage authors and speakers claim "Dr." :P. I don' recommend this route, I'm just bringing it up because it is sort of humorous.

Edited by BaguaKicksAss
  • Like 2

You can do accredited university degrees in Holistics ( University of Derby) or TCM ( University of Central Lancashire at Preston) here in the UK.

Doubt it...successful practitioners that I know of came from certain well respected lineage. I know only two, Mantak Chia and Chunyi Lin. There is Nan Haui Chin but he is more of a academic scholar but I am sure he is an accomplished cultivator. He has ties to the Chinese Army and with a family lineage of being the Confucius Scholars. He has his own school though.

Now, you can fake your ways too with books, websites, and CDs. Not sure how far you can go with it.

You can do accredited university degrees in Holistics ( University of Derby) or TCM ( University of Central Lancashire at Preston) here in the UK.

Yeah but he ain't going to impress your perspective students with paper degrees. They want to see "miracles." :) At least, you should have the ability to heal people in one way or the others.

• Like 1

One profitable idea i can think of is to master an old language, for example, Sanskrit or Aramaic, which, btw, one can obtain tertiary qualifications in, and then you'd be one of a small select group of people who can train on to become translators. It can be a lucrative, gratifying career, come to think of it, and definitely one that ties in to what you are seeking. As a translator, you'd be privy to ancient writings, and if your services include translating for non-English speakers or spiritual teachers, you get to travel with the entourage and get up really close and personal with said teachers/speakers; lots of perks in that alone.

Hello guys

I have keen interest in spiritual/occult/esoteric teachings, anything mysterious, unknown

Actually this is what I love, this what excites me and gives me thrill

When I am sad, this is what makes me feel high, it makes me feel there is something unknown

Its like this is my life

I just love mysteries and unknown

this is more exciting than girls hehehehe :D

My wildest dream would be travelling the world learning and researching these mysterious things

Like the hero of a fictional story

Omg even this thoughts makes me feel so happy and excited

I want to make this my career

Is this possible ?? can you convert your interest of spirituality , into your career ?

1. You could try and get funding for a PhD in the areas you're interested in spiritually (could be certain texts, could be history of practices, could be comparative religion/tradition, could be integration of practices into healthcare, there's loads). That'll involve a thesis, and they almost always get edited and turned into books, so, then you've delved officially deep into your area of interest and learned information first hand; you've got a doctorate in your area of interest, which opens up the possibility for more study and/or work in that particular area; AND you've got a book you can release, and those fancy letters PhD after your name that everyone loves so much ;) haha.

2. You could do some highly rated official training to study and become a medical qigong practitioner, qigong teacher, do yoga teacher training, or yoga therapy training, and that sort of thing.

3. You could go into healthcare and do mindfulness training to teach others therapeutic mindfulness skills. Current official government sanctioned applications are (in the uk at least): pain, depression, anxiety/stress, possibly work in the pain and 'end of life care' area. There's MBSR and MBCT (take a little while though). MBCT was designed for use on depression, but it has other applications.

4. You can bring mindful awareness into every and any job :) . Also, divine lessons are literally constantly being presented to us, constantly; everything is divine/spiritual/mystical, everything is Tao/Brahman/God so, there's nothing that is not spiritual. So, just do whatever resonates with you most and experience the spiritual/truth/mystical/divine in that. Loose yourself in it, so there's no you anymore and just What Is remains = enlightenment, getting to know the Truth/mystery personally, rather than having to read what others have said, for second hand information. Karma-Bhakti-Jnana Yoga. Bring Truth into work that you love and do a decent practice and you're sorted.

I'd personally advise looking for something that you're likely to get paid for, for obvious practical reasons. So, look for something that you can do or train in, that you're good at, that you enjoy and that provides an income you can live off, in accordance with number 4, you can work like that and bring mindful presence into your work :) (just please don't be a weapons manufacturer or anything like that). BUT, that's me being all ego and fear based (advising a secure ish job). Others might say "do whatever you love without exception." . Fair enough if that's their approach, but, I think it's good to research to make sure that you can get work/that there's demand for it, etc, before you do training in that area.

Also

5. There's government approved alternative and complimentary therapy degrees I think, (in the UK anyway), I can look into that if you want, but, you can probably easily find out. In the UK it's approved if the NHS will pay for the service, or if GPs will make referrals to it, etc.

I'm guessing in other places it'd be the same.

Sign in to follow this