Sign in to follow this  
soaring crane

One for the weapons 🔫 fans

I didnt know we were necessarily training for warfare....just merely anything that may come up. Training for life in a pretty wacked out world...

OK, good.

Thought I might be standing in the wrong line.

It's happened before, you know.

Actually, if I was safely in another room, such as in my bedroom and obviously something was going on downstairs, I might well put a couple of rounds into an outer wall, and yell 'Get the Hell out of my house', way before opening the door and poking around myself.

I assume the average house burglar wants to grab and run, and isn't interested in shootouts. That's only one scenario, but probably a likely one.

We all have the right to defend ourself. Most of the bad guys carry weapons. We need to be on a level playing field.

What kind of warfare are we training for?

spiritual-war-quote-fight-club.jpg

Most people I know seem to be seriously concerned about some sort of zombie apocalypse.

Personally, I think they're nuts.

It's not the zombies they should be worried about.

It's the ROBOTS!!!

1347751.jpg

Edited by Green Tiger
  • Like 2

I won't lie to you.

Robots can be a bitch.

They're a lot like horseflies...

• Like 3

I won't lie to you.

Robots can be a bitch.

They're a lot like horseflies...

wow, I started two irreverent threads, expecting them to get ignored, and you actually found a way to merge them. Impressed.

• Like 2

Hehehe. About a year ago I was practicing two-sword Tai Chi in the living room and killed one of my lamp shades.

Once, I saw someone put the tip of a bokkan through an overhead neon light tube ... oopsa !

But seriously, collecting concealed blades is a hobby for some people. They are illegal to carry in public but still can be bought and collected if you have the right kind of money. And, of course, the older they are the more money they demand. One's that are documented are very rare indeed.

At the last gun show I went to there was a vendor selling ball-point pen stilettos.

Hmmm ... still trying to figure out how that works ?

mvx0oWUyEXQOOxPsck_BFdA.jpg

<shrug> ahhh ... who can tell ... I could never figure out those crazy women's shoes;

high-heels-shoes-02.jpg

• Like 1

A few years back we had a state MSSR instructors get together ... did some training and weapons and went out that night. One of the guys had moccasins on ... the western fashion shoe version ... I commented on them as I had not seen them in years. He said he likes to wear them out as, " ... they are comfortable and ..... < sheepish grin> ... they ummm ... have steel cap toes."

"What! Steel cap moccasins? Where on earth did you get them?"

" I saw them in a shop and liked them and the shoe guy said they come with a steel cap as well."

( MSSR likes to kick with the extended big toe) .... does that count as a 'concealed weapon' ?

A belt is a pretty good one too.

Before the intro of handcuffs to the Japanese police in the late 50s they had a small length of rope, they were masters at this art ... which appears to have come from the 'closing' techniques of the Suruchin (and similar in Karsurigama;

kusarigama.gif

(one of the most complex weapons I have ever encountered and tried to use )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3qZeY1Uk44

around 4.0 , with the catch and draw ... obviously opponant would move in for strike, this is where the 'defending and catching' with the belt, cord or chain is used ... followed up with the take down and tie up.

At 6.46 the difficulties arise ... a quick retraction and 'on-guard' is required after a strike or while you are fumbling you will be cut or hit ... yes, a very difficult weapon with a wide range of skills required ... but easily concealable.

The other tricky dynamic isnt shown; wrapping the cord around legs and arms, to decrease arc swing and increase speed and fling or kick out the projectile ( very handy as it converts the 'empty zone' of the swing - from where it cant be let loose at the target - and thats when the attack usually comes - to an active zone).

I am sure there is an equivelent weapon with these types of usage in Chinese weaponry ?

My training one had a rubber peg on the end ... I remember the guys at training hopping around and complaining; "Oww ! That thing still hurts ya know!" I had to give it an extra coating of foam. I tried the metal one once ( accuracy of striking can be developed surprisingly quickly) ... I hit the target, a growing bamboo , it split about two meters along the culm and then later died.

here is another 'small part ' of the art ... just based on grabs

.... I'd better stop now .... I might go on forever otherwise :)

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 3

Once, I saw someone put the tip of a bokkan through an overhead neon light tube ... oopsa !

Embarrassing if anyone is watching (and apparently there was).

<shrug> ahhh ... who can tell ... I could never figure out those crazy women's shoes;

Just last night I heard the slender spike heels of women's shoes referred to as "stiletto heels".

There is a documentary series (I forget its name and station) on TV that replicates ancient weapons from around the world and then demonstrates their possible uses.

In one movie, I forget which one, Steven Seagal used his prayer beads as a weapon.

There is a documentary series (I forget its name and station) on TV that replicates ancient weapons from around the world and then demonstrates their possible uses.

<pokes his head up like a meerkat> What? Where? When? :)

In one movie, I forget which one, Steven Seagal used his prayer beads as a weapon.

What up with Seagal ???? I watched one of his movie 'sword fights' in slow mo and replay and he does the same basic technique over and over and over again, cut up and re-pasted and shot from various angles ..... :rolleyes: rather pathetic really , I think he should stick to using his beads to pray for a new fight choreographer.

• Like 1

<pokes his head up like a meerkat> What? Where? When? :)

I will do my best to take note of it the next time I see it on the tube and mention it here in this thread. (No promises though, I am getting old and forgetful.)

I was trying to find a vid of Tadashi Yamashita (Shorin-ryu master) using Kusarigama ... but this dude seems pretty good with one (at least he didnt get the point of the blade stuck in his kidneys ... or elsewhere :wacko: )

Yeah. I would say "Good" on that one. Question is: Can he hit a target? Then the next question would be: Can he hit a moving target?

Walking Cane self defence seminar here.

Yeah. A good weapon. And walking aid. The Philippines kali sticks ain't too shabby either.

• Like 1

Yeah. I would say "Good" on that one. Question is: Can he hit a target? Then the next question would be: Can he hit a moving target?

With the karma and chain (as opposed to a rock tied to a string ... the earliest version, perhaps) pinpoint striking accuracy isnt that important ... its more of the tangle aspect. (All that flashy twirly stuff mostly goes out the window ... its stand-off stuff, when there IS a clash, its a different story... like when you watch those 3 section staff demos ... the same pretty much goes for nunchuks too ... the real application is mostly deflecting and locking up ... many dont realise about the 'off-line' position one needs to adopt for when the chuka bounces back when you actually do hit something properly ... more practitioners get hit with nunchuks than victims do :D ... I had a teacher YEEEARS back who had a habit of stopping, looking up and cupping his hand behind his ear at the appropriate moment and saying; "Ah! Sound of Japanese hardwood on Australian bone ." while some guy at the back of the class is going purple and hopping around holding his elbow. )

Accuracy is required with the rock or dart ... its earliest usage is supposedly to defend against wild animals. the twirling of the string makes a strange noise as it rotates through the air, and the target is the nose or eyes ... so accuracy there. Of course , a good fighter will just knock the projectile away (with bokkan or eku), thats when your retrieving skills will be tested.

I think there is a segment in The Bruce Lee Story, or some such movie or doco where he fights with his belt.

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this