BaguaKicksAss

Meditation....

This is a subtle semantic comment that you may or may not resonate with.

I've been favoring the word allow over accept recently.

Sometimes, when we tell ourselves to accept and are having difficulty with it, we can get a bad feeling, a feeling of failure or incompetence. And sometimes, things may be so onerous that perhaps we should not accept and yet me may not be able to change whatever it is.

On the other hand, allow, at least for me connotes less agreement but a similar lack of resistance.

FWIW

Thanks, BKA, for your nice comment.

Steve - My only problem with the word 'allow' is that it infers that we have made a judgment as to whether something should be allowed or not. As if we're in the position of being the keeper of the Gate. It indicates a dynamic that includes not only ourselves (as to what we will allow into our consciousness) but also seems to include others. But then again, I'm not a parent and therefore not as well versed in allowing or not allowing.

I see what you mean about Acceptance too, though. Like the inference is that we have to 'like' it, if we gag it down. I think acceptance can be merely an openness to a person, situation, or idea without having a reaction to it at all. Just to be aware that it's there and has been acknowledged and merged into everything else That Is within ourselves.

Thanks, BKA, for your nice comment.

Steve - My only problem with the word 'allow' is that it infers that we have made a judgment as to whether something should be allowed or not. As if we're in the position of being the keeper of the Gate. It indicates a dynamic that includes not only ourselves (as to what we will allow into our consciousness) but also seems to include others. But then again, I'm not a parent and therefore not as well versed in allowing or not allowing.

Good point about that aspect of allowing.

I see what you mean about Acceptance too, though. Like the inference is that we have to 'like' it, if we gag it down. I think acceptance can be merely an openness to a person, situation, or idea without having a reaction to it at all. Just to be aware that it's there and has been acknowledged and merged into everything else That Is within ourselves.

I am using allowing in a similar way - openness without reactivity, letting things be as they are without judgement, either grasping or aversion. We can allow (or accept) what shows up for us or punish ourselves because life isn't exactly what we would prefer it to be. Different words, same sentiment.

• Like 1

the skulls are also useful for honouring one's ancestors; for working with a path ancestor; for a strong spirit helper. I don't know about Bon in particular, but many other paths utilize these methods.

They have sadhus over in India who opt to live next to burning ghats where bodies are cremated.

Quite often those guys go about buck naked apart from body paint.

It's pretty hot out there so clothing's not an issue and they are accepted.

People bring them food and generally 'adopt' them so that if one gets sick somebody will pay for their medical treatment.

Thing is they have a union ( seriously) and an annual convention plus every four years a big get together that is covered by the TV news.

It's a closed shop type union with different burning ghats demarcated to a nominated sadhu so that no other sadhu can encroach on his territory.

Once the guy dies then the union runs a well subscribed lottery to allocate that ghat to a new sadhu.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 2

They have sadhus over in India who opt to live next to burning ghats where bodies are cremated.

People bring them food and generally 'adopt' them so that if one gets sick somebody will pay for their medical treatment.

Thing is they have a union ( seriously) and an annual convention plus every four years a big get together that is covered by the TV news.

It's a closed shop type union with different burning ghats demarcated to a nominated sadhu so that no other sadhu can encroach on his territory.

Once the guy dies then the union runs a well subscribed lottery to allocate that ghat to a new sadhu.

Based on lottery, instead of say ability, power, enlightenment, or other such factors? That is unfortunate. Well I guess better than here where everything is run on politics.

These folks anything like the aghora? (there were some lively threads about them around 6 months back)...

I once heard of a naked spiritual fellow in India, (I think it was India) who went about not only naked, but carried a broom and swept the path ahead of him to make sure he didn't step on bugs. This has stuck with me for years. Have you heard of this possible sadhu?

• Like 1

Sounds rather modern in ways,

but ,Where do they keep their cellphones?

Use your imagination, dear :blush:

• Like 2

I once heard of a naked spiritual fellow in India, (I think it was India) who went about not only naked, but carried a broom and swept the path ahead of him to make sure he didn't step on bugs. This has stuck with me for years. Have you heard of this possible sadhu?

There are some amazing and strange holy folk down in India. There's one practice where you raise one arm and point your finger towards heaven, you do that 24/7. Til the bones lock and calcify and you can do it in your sleep. Some of the extreme practices seem close to madness, but who am I to say.

I heard of one yogi that covered himself in feces just to keep the "normals" away :lol: it reminded me of that time my boy was but on the cusp of being a toddler and we found him playing one day...hey dad, its squishy...yes, boy....now dont ever do that again :lol:

• Like 1

Parsee ( Zoroastrian) priests used to carry little beooms for that purpose and they also wore a gauze mask so as jot to inadvertantly swallow flies.

The richer ones employed little lads to sweep in front of them.

It didn't matter if the little lad stepped on any bugs it was all about the priest not doing so.

• Like 1

Parsee ( Zoroastrian) priests used to carry little beooms for that purpose and they also wore a gauze mask so as jot to inadvertantly swallow flies. The richer ones employed little lads to sweep in front of them. It didn't matter if the little lad stepped on any bugs it was all about the priest not doing so.

Manson tried to use this theory in court....

• Like 1

Manson tried to use this theory in court....

Sorry , what do you mean?

Any Idea why the Priest doesnt feel that his employment of the lad doesnt imply a karmic reprisal if the kid steps on all the bugs for him?

( not swallowing flies sounds comparatively straightforward thing to avoid however)

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

I don't think they go in for that sweeping schtick these days.

There's a rather splendid Zoroastrian Temple in Leicester and the priests there only wear those masks when they are tending their sacred fire which is never extinguished.

They wear white robes a white hat and those masks.

• Like 1