BaguaKicksAss

Gathering questions for an interview with Dr. Jerry Alan Johnson

What is the siginficance of full lotus sitting position. Is it irreplaceable?

I would add to this:

I've heard the main reason for full-lotus is to have the feet pointing up.

Could other positions that do this (kneeling, half-lotus on a high cusion) be adequate for that effect?

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness

I heard him sue the idea of karma in the vid interview above:

Is karma a legitimate Taoist concept?

How does he see the relationship/compatibility of Buddhist and Taoist practices? Is it ok to practice both concurrently or is there need to keep them distinct?

• Like 4

How important is an understanding of the YiJing (I Ching) to Taoist cultivation practices?

• Like 1

I heard him sue the idea of karma in the vid interview above:

Is karma a legitimate Taoist concept?

How does he see the relationship/compatibility of Buddhist and Taoist practices? Is it ok to practice both concurrently or is there need to keep them distinct?

I would sometimes like to sue karma (how most people view it I mean).

I would sometimes like to sue karma (how most people view it I mean).

If you won your case against karma in court then that would definitely have been meant to be.

Hence, and at that point; karma would be deemed to have 'won' thus acquitted; and you'd be stuck with all the court costs.

;-)

• Like 2

Do you think chi kung healing is becoming more accepted by the western medical community? How would you like to see chi kung therapy evolve over the next ten years?

• Like 2

From what I've read, your training began primarily with the internal martial arts and eventually gravitated more toward chi kung therapy. Do you think that training the internal martial arts is an efficient way to build chi for a chi kung therapist, or should a chi kung therapist spend most of their training time differently? What would you say is the most efficient practice for a chi kung therapist to maximize their healing ability?

EDIT: I just realized this is very similar to the question EFS White asked. While I think his is more concerned with avoiding harmful side effects, the part about 'what would be the best practice for a healer' is still there.

I do think the last line of his question should be "What would you say is the most efficient practice for a chi kung therapist to maximize their healing ability?"

I just like the wording better.

Edited by Green Tiger
  • Like 6

This is a "trivial" question (...) Which side of the human body is Yin & which is Yang?

I'd like to bring this up again, as I suspect it may be more than "trivial" question. What I would like to know is whether yin and yang aspects of right and left are inherent, absolute qualities or whether this may be considered more of a sort of suggestion, a paradigm, one potential school of how to channel these opposing (e.g. radiant vs. receiving) energies, which then may naturally be different in different schools.

I know in his books Prof. Johnson insists that the left side is yang, the right yin. As the question does resurface ever so often, maybe we could find a wording for this question that asks why the understanding of this differentiation is relevant, e.g. in specific healing or medical applications.

--

On this note: Thank you, Green Tiger, for revamping the wording of my question. What was important to me was to specify this very comparative aspect, hence both aspects: "How do we maximise our healing ability while also reducing harm?"

• Like 5

and if yang is on the left side, and yin on the right... how come the left side is about mother issues, and the right side about father issues?

• Like 3

and if yang is on the left side, and yin on the right... how come the left side is about mother issues, and the right side about father issues?

brain crossover? possibly but not sure.

• Like 2

Where did you hear that from? :o

Another question concerns the archetypal merging/fusion of Yin & Yang in Taoist (and other forms) of alchemy. What exactly (theoretically & experientially) does it mean to merge or fuse the 2?

electricon.jpg

Is it like connecting a full electrical circuit like with + & - terminals? Or letting north and south magnetic poles meet?

attraction.repulsion.png

Or if they're already "fused" like electromagnetism...then how more would you "fuse" them?

electromagneticjavafigure1.jpg

Edited by vortex
  • Like 5

Tie this in with the question of Christianity?:

1) It has been suggested by one member here (yours truly) that one could explain De as akin to the virtuous creative force which other religions worship as God.

Does this make sense in your understandings of Daoism and Christianity?

Also:

2) How would you explain the relationship between De and Dao in the Universe, creation, and in Neidan/Neigong. Thank you so much for your consideration and time.

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness
  • Like 4

Tie this in with the question of Christianity?:

1) It has been suggested by one member here (yours truly) that one could explain De as akin to the virtuous creative force which other religions worship as God.

Does this make sense in your understandings of Daoism and Christianity?

Also:

2) How would you explain the relationship between De and Dao in the Universe, creation, and in Neidan/Neigong. Thank you so much for your consideration and time.

no go?

Could just be a case of it being the last question and fewer people reading and voting on the thread by the time you posted it?

• Like 1

I'd be curious to know about his personal practice. He is an expert in many disciplines, how does he schedule practicing them to remain proficient in each? Are there some pieces that he does every day? Any general guidelines for learning new skills?

• Like 7

Could just be a case of it being the last question and fewer people reading and voting on the thread by the time you posted it?

Are you doing the interview based on likes ... cos I think you should feel free to include a good question which has been overlooked.

• Like 2

"What would you say is the most efficient practice for a chi kung therapist to maximize their healing ability?"

That is a question I would like to see answered.

;)

xxx.

ps jus' f88kin' turn it up! Submit. Shhh.

pps i'm retired

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell
  • Like 1

Are you doing the interview based on likes ... cos I think you should feel free to include a good question which has been overlooked.

Likes, and my personal favorites, and if a question looks like something which would be good for da bums ;).

• Like 4

This is a "trivial" question that may already be answered in some of his materials - but it's been hard to get a consistent answer on it. Which side of the human body is Yin & which is Yang?

Or may it also depend on gender? Or might Yang problems show up more on the Yin side and vice-versa?

Logically, it would seem as if the right side (left side of brain) should be Yang...but many actual Chinese qigong masters seems to disagree.

So, does anyone know for a fact, or based upon clinical experience, which is which?

So we adding this one, or did we figure it out?

How important is an understanding of the YiJing (I Ching) to Taoist cultivation practices?

and how can it be utilized to enhance ones practice?

• Like 2