Sign in to follow this  
Unseen_Abilities

I respectfully announce my resignation from the Dojo...

That's quite a list! And you didn't even mention your stewardship on TaoBums.

Good luck with the healing!

Yeah, forgot to mention TTB! Also forgot to mention going to two or three qigong workshops a year, and left off the time given to things like hiking, drinking good beer and helping my wife with her small business... ;)

A funny thing -- the more time I spend on my qigong, the more free time I seem to have for everything!

Edited by Brian
  • Like 5

Internal martial arts works the channels, meridians, tendons and so forth, and through this starts to bring our "stuff" to the surface for us to deal with. It puts our anger (or whichever we need to work through) right there in front of us for us to look at and work with.

The external arts just give different tests and ways to work through stuff.

• Like 2

Money doesn't just fall out of the sky. Said money magic needs a physical route to manifest through.

Exactly! Captain Marvel ... go and buy some lotto tickets :D

• Like 1

The aggression is not necessarily a problem, but it does require an outlet like Martial Arts to ground it/me, and put it to good use. Aikido, as I think most practice it, is just not an aggressive style of training, so I'm moving on for now.

BaguaKicksAss, good points re:job/work, thanks.

Rara, what kind of music do you play? I've been playing guitar for over half my life now and I'd like to come up to the U.K within 2 years or so - we should jam.

Thanks guys.

• Like 1

Also, on the Horse Stance suggestion: I find that even a little bit (5-10 minutes) of Horse Stance can actually make me feel really fucking horny which can lead to feeling less grounded unless I do something else in addition to it.

I like a Bioenergetics exercise, "Basic vibratory and grounding exercise" to ground myself - This works very well...I should do more of it.

Edited by Unseen_Abilities

I think internal arts are 10,000 times better for such things, but with a good teacher you still learn from external arts... IF you are the self reflective sort. So yes good point, if you just don't care, nothing much will be learned. Internal arts at least forces it up and out either way ;).

Most folks who go into martial arts come from a background of violence that they are working through. The various interactions in class can bring up and out quite a bit. This is bad if you have a crappy teacher, and can be useful if you have an experienced teacher.

Also everyone realizes they are far from the biggest/strongest person around, yet also learns their own inner strength and power (usually via the warmup exercises).

Again, I'll emphasize the point that the aggression I'm talking about is a natural thing for a guy like me at my age to be experiencing (I think...) - I've worked hard on my health and fitness for quite a while now and I just wasn't getting what I wanted from training Aikido.

Just because I have aggression and I like practising Martial Arts, that doesn't mean I'm going to turn into a violent maniac. Martial Arts acts as an outlet for that energy, enabling me to learn how to control and manage it more effectively. I've been doing some training by myself on an almost-daily basis, but it's at the point where joining a club that trains in a more aggressive, harder style of Martial Art is the right thing to do...simple as that.

• Like 1

Not to mention discipline, focus and general health...I've only been training for 4 years now, but I can see Martial Arts being a life-long thing for me from now on - Seems like a good path to empowerment on all levels.

Actually, BKA: By your last post, are you implying that aggression=anger?

Maybe I picked up/took on a false definition of the word at some point during my readings...I intend it to mean "attacking" life, strong desire to move forward into new things, into who I actually can become, not in an angry, hostile kind of way.

The aggression is not necessarily a problem, but it does require an outlet like Martial Arts to ground it/me, and put it to good use. Aikido, as I think most practice it, is just not an aggressive style of training, so I'm moving on for now.

BaguaKicksAss, good points re:job/work, thanks.

Rara, what kind of music do you play? I've been playing guitar for over half my life now and I'd like to come up to the U.K within 2 years or so - we should jam.

Thanks guys.

I'll drop you a PM with a link. I'm in a prog rock band but also do bits of acoustic rock, folk and hip hop on the side! Would be good to meet you.

• Like 2

Cool! I'm currently starting a band to play some material I've been working on...It would probably fall more into "Metal" than "Rock", but there's variation in there...I'm recording for free starting this week too :D

• Like 1

Cool! I'm currently starting a band to play some material I've been working on...It would probably fall more into "Metal" than "Rock", but there's variation in there...I'm recording for free starting this week too :D

I do like me a bit of ol' metal as well *said in a London accent*

My voice is just too soft so I gave up attempting.

• Like 1

I got a voice, I can dance, I can write lyrics.

Maybe we could collaborate, fame and fortune beckon.

I could do more video and audio recordings.

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell
  • Like 1

A man's got to earn a crust.

Perhaps folk can somehow be induced to pay to witness something a little strange.

Come chat with me on my ppf, if you like.

I'll likely happily talk a load of rubbish there.

And yes, I have one or two videos, but I need to purchase new photographic/av equipment.

My life's a bit turbulent at the moment, but I'll manage.

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell
  • Like 2

I'm leaving here for the night now, but I'll contact you soon...

:)

You mean only this thread, right?

Don't go all away, I enjoy talking with you.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this