Sign in to follow this  
Mal

Directed Discussion

In PPF or public discussion?

Public.

PPFs should always stay in the awesomeness they are already in!

PS would you like some wonderful sub forums and sub forums of your sub forums for your PPF? :D See mine for a nice example of how awesome a PPF can be (this is to all members, not just Thunder_Gooch)

• Like 1

Not so much, but I know exactly how it will play out.

As long as the other team can use it to their advantage they will be for it, but as soon as they are forced to stop derailing topics they don't like... that's when it will hit the fan and they will scream bloody murder again about personal insults or whatever they can to try and prevent their opponents from having a different opinion than they do.

Thunder_Gooch, if you have any suggestions on how to work out a few of the following things for the better, please do add them.

1. The whole Mo Pai thing.

2. Stuff like Deci Belle kicking people out of her threads (but at present no one owns a thread) / people posting completely irrelevant off topic crap in Deci Belle's well written and thought out threads? (I'm using her as an example as it comes up lots)

3. People teaming up and trolling Vitali for fun and entertainment... daily... every single damn time he posts... (the same 3 people).

• Like 2

Thunder_Gooch, if you have any suggestions on how to work out a few of the following things for the better, please do add them.

1. The whole Mo Pai thing.

2. Stuff like Deci Belle kicking people out of her threads (but at present no one owns a thread) / people posting completely irrelevant off topic crap in Deci Belle's well written and thought out threads? (I'm using her as an example as it comes up lots)

3. People teaming up and trolling Vitali for fun and entertainment... daily... every single damn time he posts... (the same 3 people).

The solution is there is no solution.

Tell people to use their PPF if they don't want to defend their posts, and want to maintain control over the discussion.

It's really that easy, and at that point they are responsible for deleting troll posts.

If something in public discussion becomes a problem, toss it into the pit, and if need be lock it if that doesn't fix it.

Basically policies already in place just need to be enforced imho.

Edited by Thunder_Gooch
  • Like 2

I like Mal's intent to find a way to enforce an existing rule.

There is a definite pattern of harassment with some topics and between certain folks.

I say less is more though, allow things to flow... Tao flows...

By far most contributers here are respectful, insightful and humorous; those who aren't are getting an opportunity to explore where that path leads and teaching the rest of us where our current levels of patience are located. Something I find immeasurably valuable and simultaneously, quintessentially annoying.

I find the current system of reporting repeated derails and splitting the derailing portion off is a good blend.

It deals with harassment and allows valuable discussion to continue...

• Like 3

*cough* stewards can't move posts *cough*

QFT

:blink: I'm pretty sure the stewards request via moveT and splitT for posts in a thread to be moved.

Yes BKA does the actual physical moving - mods and admin can move posts too

But the post is effectively moved because of the stewards requesting that they be moved.

• Like 2

So A asks mods to remove the second person's posts from the thread. Is B then blocked from the thread or otherwise disciplined if they continue to post negatively in the thread? (By negatively here, I just mean adversely to A's intention in starting the thread, which maybe we could name something like counter-posting)

Contemplating this - one person controlling a thread is a bit different from the virtual round the clock coverage of moderators and stewards :lol: so its certainly possible that the thread creator could come back after a few days away to pages and pages of posts that they didnt want in their thread.

So if someone was already asked not to keep posting - but rather than respecting that request they ignored it - what should be done?

:blink: I'm pretty sure the stewards request via moveT and splitT for posts in a thread to be moved.

Yes BKA does the actual physical moving - mods and admin can move posts too

But the post is effectively moved because of the stewards requesting that they be moved.

They can, but that's still one of the mods and I moving stuff.... so like, don't push it folks? :D

Yes

Ideally it would be :-

A please don't post

B just stops posting

But we have all been here for too long to even imagine that ever happening :lol: ........ :(

• Like 1

What I don't understand is we already have directed discussions in personal practice forums, when you post in public you are inviting debate.

I don't post anything in public I am not willing to defend to the end.

That's how it is.

In a personal practice forum you can delete troll posts as you see fit.

Edited by Thunder_Gooch
  • Like 1

Well seeing you keep posting. How could someone discuss yin chi without you "contributing" to that thread? I can't recall you stopping at one post even with a "spam rule" :lol:

How could someone discuss yin chi without you "contributing" to that thread?

They could create such a discussion in their personal practice forum, and delete any comments they didn't want in the discussion.

Easy peasy.

If people do not want what they put out in public challenged they can use their personal practice discussion forum.

My only beef with this "solution" is that it addresses a problem which never existed in the first place.

My only beef with this "solution" is that it addresses a problem which never existed in the first place.

And yet if you look at your posts in this thread - Your opinion was clear the 1st time you posted.

But, if you stay true to form, you will continue to reinterate your opinion every time someone posts.

• Like 1

Not every discussion must be an argument.

Not every argument needs to be won.

I don't agree. What makes you think this is so?

:D

Hmmmm, perhaps that is a good idea for directed DISCUSSION... have those be more about discussion... since it isn't tittled directed arguing.

• Like 2

Yes

Ideally it would be :-

A please don't post

B just stops posting

But we have all been here for too long to even imagine that ever happening :lol: ........ :(

C shut the fuck up

I added one more option for you Mal.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 1

i had a similar idea as Directed Discussion;

http://thetaobums.com/topic/31846-contributed-articles-idea-open-for-discussion/

however, i have changed my mind about trying to push that idea forward, largely due to what i observed during the

events on TTB that led to;

http://thetaobums.com/topic/32483-admins-decision-re-current-ruckus-yinyang-mo-pai-etc/

these events and moderation considerations-even tho admin took that situation out of moderator hands

and chose to deal with the responsibility on their own, still, those events

caused me to reflect upon the Contributed Articles idea and while i do see some merit and advantage in either

the CA or DD ideas--- those events of the "Ruckus" and other board activity of that time revealed to me that there are also disadvantages of having a CA or DD, and from my perspective

as a member and as a mod, the disadvantages pose greater risks to the board and outweigh the benefits gained that the changes would bring us.

since i became mod in the summer of 2013, there have been numerous changes made to the board and we are still debating on how to deal/mod with some long standing issues. so, until we have dealt with those and presented an updated mod philosophy to the board--my position is-- i am not in favor of making any new major changes at this time.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this