BaguaKicksAss

Living off grid

Cloudy today , not much input into the batteries , that can be an issues at times as when you are just about to

Yep. That is one of the down-sides of solar power. One needs have access to alternatives for periods when there is little or no direct sunshine. I have commercial backup so it's not a "real" problem for me.

I suggested the electricity company here 'backs up' onto something rather specifically outlined.

I will never have anything to do with them again :angry:

I trounced them in a 1 year battle for a bill I already paid ; three separate collection agencies, numerous harassment direct from their company ... I gave up trying to explain it after I said numerous times'Well, stop threatening me then and DO take me to court, then I can show the judge my payment receipts. " I went to things like this;

"Is that Mr Ningali."

"Yes"

"This is probe collections ... " (seriously one company was called that ! ) ... " I am calling about you paying off this outstanding debt with the electricity company."

"I see."

"Okay,. to get started, I first have to have you confirm your identity and address. Can you please confirm that you are Mr Nun Gali of 123 Such-and-such Road Nungaliville?"

"No, "

"But you said you were."

"Yes I did."

"Well, now you have to confirm that and that the address is right. That is the next step so we can continue."

'I know."

"Okay .... so, can you please confirm that .... "

"No."

"But if you dont first confirm your name and address, I cant move on to the next bit."

" I know ! "

:P <hangs up >

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Keep the river to my right (or was it left?)

I don't know about that but if you are lost you always walk downstream. You will always find someone.

• Like 2

That would be a cool experience as long as you don't encounter any of those head-hunter guys.

I will stop at the demarcation line of no-man's land (each to their own ... no worries ... <backs away slowly> )

taiwan_300_taiwan_1.jpg

• Like 1

I don't know about that but if you are lost you always walk downstream. You will always find someone.

Ummmm .... dont try that west of the Great Divide here ;

js15eyre04_gallery__470x299.jpg

• Like 1

Ummmm .... dont try that west of the Great Divide here ;

js15eyre04_gallery__470x299.jpg

Well, yeah, there are a couple exceptions in various areas around the world where the water leads to nowhere. But let's face it, if one gets lost in those areas they were in the wrong place to begin with.

• Like 1

GMP

"Which way to Spilsby village please?"

Yokel

"You'm don't want to start from here for Spilsby."

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Well, yeah, there are a couple exceptions in various areas around the world where the water leads to nowhere. But let's face it, if one gets lost in those areas they were in the wrong place to begin with.

Hence the name ; 'skeleton coast' .... a common place for shipwrecks in Namibia ; "Perhaps there is something inland ?"

AndyBiggs_COA02_SkeletonCoast.jpg

looks kinda foreboding :unsure:

Hence the name ; 'skeleton coast' .... a common place for shipwrecks in Namibia ; "Perhaps there is something inland ?"

looks kinda foreboding :unsure:

I just watched a documentary about that place a couple weeks ago. Yes, there is a very lively environment inland.

I just watched a documentary about that place a couple weeks ago. Yes, there is a very lively environment inland.

One place along the coast , it is beach, a single line of mansions , a road an old WWII train line and then desert. (The roads are made from salt and sand, sprinkled with water and rolled - apparently it sets like concrete.) - ocean,sand, mansion, sand, road, sand, thats it.

I had a friend return from there with photos and film - very radical place . The mansions are empty nearly all year.

You should have seen the pictures of the ones he stayed in; glass floors with a different environmental diorama under the glass in each room, an Afrikaan style BBQ in the lounge room .... a ridiculous amount of money there. Then he showed me photos of where his native driver lived and the conditions he lived under :( ... so he paid him extra out of his own money :) .

- This was for the making of Mad Max ... IV ... V ? { I think they are up to now } ..... tearing around the desert in the most ridiculous hotted up cars and trucks armed with machine guns, flame throwers and grappling hydraulics , blowing up giant road tankers full of milk (there is something quiet surreal about a flash flood of milk in the Namibian desert) massive fireball explosions ... all that stuff ... who knows what the cost is up to ??? ( I mean they spent $96 Mill on a Scooby-Doo movie, so this one ... :huh: ) ... and all the fun footage of when things go wrong (which is supposed to be destroyed - sure ! They have beer drinking nights later and watch it and laugh about it).

Supposedly, this film is about what happens when we have to live 'off grid' and things start to 'run out' .... well ... in a science fictiony way.

Then everyone goes home and leaves the trashed desert littered with the remains , the locals with a few extra dollars and the 'area controllers' with skads of money.

.... you never know what you come across in Namibia ;

zz5.jpg

Milk truck before guns and flame throwers fitted ;

Tournage+Mad+Max+4+(fury+road)+(16).jpg

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

Its a strange world out there ... :unsure:

... even stranger when you do that shit for a job !

'A lively environment inland ' ;

check the background and scenery ( and kaboom @ 2;13 .... nearly took out my mates tracking vehicle ! )

Edited by Nungali

So little petrol and fuel left ( and milk ... actually it is 'mother's milk' ... dont ask ! :) ) ... just enough to make great explosions and run giant 'survivalist vehicles and make spectacular flash floods .... :D

Not that it hasnt been done before;

(Like in the war movie "Three Kings." ;)

• Like 1

your system is already in place, so, why would you change it?

the tesla powerwall is fully integrative with solar or wind systems. 

(or even with on grid systems, store up while rates are low)

and there is a price reduction of $/kwh with this battery

ideally prices for these alternative and off grid energy systems will continue to lower.

for someone who does not already have their own system in place,

and has been considering such a project/investment,

then i think tesla is stepping up with their offering

All you have said is true.

But that will be very expensive up front.  And "break even" will take a very long time.  Even "break even" on solar, if installed by "professionals" takes between 25 and 35 years.  I did my own work and hit "break even after 5 1/2 years.

But sure, for those who have more money than they need - go for it.

Topic  is  interesting  one.   Some of  you maybe  interested  in  these TV shows  where  they show people who are doing it.   

1.  Life  Below  Zero,   2.  Live free or Die,   3. Legend of Mick Dodge

I know of those programs but do not watch them.  Good programs though that could give people ideas.