Editing Limits  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Change back to old editing way?

• Yes
    • No
    • Some other solution

I hope you know I was just joking in that last post. Would you like for me to edit it?

I can be a bit concrete in my thinking at times but yes, I assumed you were joking - what with the Hehehe and all.

I sort of was also...

:)

I can be a bit concrete in my thinking at times but yes, I assumed you were joking - what with the Hehehe and all.

I sort of was also...

:)

I always try to include my "Hehehe" whenever I am joking. I don't want people taking me serious when I'm just playing around.

Edited by Marblehead

I picked to change it back, because I am generally for power to the people.

Consolidating power generally leads to no good, and I think people have the right to change their minds and add to their posts or take from them.

Edited by Dagon
  • Like 2

There were people who in a way asked for this, because of people who regularly completely remove evey one of their posts from topics because they get mad, or rethink what they wrote. I don't remember the thread but I've seen this brought up, so the change was absolutely not "out of the blue".

I'm on other forums where this rule has been implemented. They continue to flourish. No biggie.

So...I'll admit I voted for No, don't change it back. But that's because I see people using the edit button too much, just because they don't like the direction a thread started going, or they got upset and said stuff they regret.

I treat this forum like real life. Can't take back something you said. I edit grammar, but not much else. I leave what I say in print, and post again with an apology or correction. Just like in real life. This is a conversation, not a novel. 99% of my posts that have been edited are because the only way to get my ipad to recognize paragraph breaks is to post, edit, hit enter a few times at the end of my post, and post again.

However I can see some more advanced members deciding that they wrote too much, explained an advanced practice that isn't smart for someone to try without being directly guided, and wanting to edit that out.

So I guess I'm in favor of allowing unlimited editing, but wish people would use the edit button with moderation and thought.

I completely fail to buy into the civil rights/freedom argument.

Edited by i am
  • Like 6

There were people who in a way asked for this, because of people who regularly completely remove evey one of their posts from topics because they get mad, or rethink what they wrote. I don't remember the thread but I've seen this brought up, so the change was absolutely not "out of the blue".

I'm on other forums where this rule has been implemented. They continue to flourish. No biggie.

So...I'll admit I voted for No, don't change it back. But that's because I see people using the edit button too much, just because they don't like the direction a thread started going, or they got upset and said stuff they regret.

I treat this forum like real life. Can't take back something you said. I edit grammar, but not much else. I leave what I say in print, and post again with an apology or correction. Just like in real life. This is a conversation, not a novel. 99% of my posts that have been edited are because the only way to get my ipad to recognize paragraph breaks is to post, edit, hit enter a few times at the end of my post, and post again.

However I can see some more advanced members deciding that they wrote too much, explained an advanced practice that isn't smart for someone to try without being directly guided, and wanting to edit that out.

So I guess I'm in favor of allowing unlimited editing, but wish people would use the edit button with moderation and thought.

I completely fail to buy into the civil rights/freedom argument.

Nice post.

I am with you I am...

• Like 1

Don't you be putting that label "intelligent" on me!!!

Yea ... yea ... what he said.

• Like 1

I have missed this discussion and am so happy that limitless editing is back !

Opression of restriction and too much discipline is not good for my health . :D

• Like 3

Thanks to all who made the reversion possible.

Pretty sure this means a lot to a few (or a good few) members.

Personally, not too bothered, as i hardly edit content once its been laid out and put out.

Militant Anarchism? :huh:

That sometimes is necessary if one wishes to remain an Anarchist totally and completely. (But make sure you have bigger guns than those who are coming to force their will on you.)

from my pov, this thread was/is about the choice (a tough choice) between freedom of expression and personal responsibility.

there is some merit on either position. i argued passionately that freedom should prevail.

part of the reason that i did, was i am hopeful and confident that freedom of expression and personal responsibility can coexist and compliment each other here on The Tao Bums, which i view as a community that does embrace among other things the aspects of cultivation and mindfulness and thoughtful and considerate postings.

• Like 7

Though I sort of like the idea of writing without a net.. I`ve had a fair number of things having been said which were deleted after I did or wanted to respond to them, and it wasn`t all that big a deal.

I also can appreciate that people change their feelings on things and don`t want their old negative emotions to float around like landmines.on the forum.

m2c

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness