Sign in to follow this  
SonOfTheGods

Science Confirms an Age-Old Remedy for Gray Hair and Baldness

Burdock leaves won't do anything for the hair but burdock root oil is an efficient remedy for hair loss. Washes out leaving no smell behind too.

Oh, and nettle -- that's quite spectacular. You make a paste and rub into the scalp for hair loss, but even a simple rinse with strong nettle tea will give your hair the shine you've never seen before.

yeah I eat the stinging nettles -- also....

I think the burdock leaves - like stinging nettles - the leaves and roots are related - just the strength is different.

Are these mostly external remedies for the hair? I know that he shou wu is famous for restoring hair color and thickness to graying and thinning hair, but won't help if baldness has already occured I guess.

Interesting, I always viewed hair loss and graying hair as being symptoms of internal stressors, both physical and mental. It is often said in Chinese culture that a person who thinks ALOT and is always talking tends to get gray hair, and diet definitely plays a role in going bald too, but who knows for sure. Western medicine would say genetics is a big factor too, but I believe one can alter their 'genetic destiny'.

Anyways I would definitely try to address the internal causes for hair thinning and graying before trying something externally, as I would do for most things anyways, fix them at the source rather than treating the symptom itself.

But who knows maybe some of it has to do with external factors like chemicals getting into the scalp and hair pores that can be solved with applying things to the hair and scalp?

baldness is more from stress - cortisol from ejaculation increases DHT which causes baldness.

Stinging nettles prevents formation of DHT....

So you can take that internally yes.

good point.

I was thinking more for the chlorophyll to stop the smell - and yes that is internal also - it's an enzyme reaction.

Magnesium from chlorophyll also prevents UV damage because magnesium is a photoreceptor - converts photons to electrons.

Eating black beans -- the black pigment increases kidney energy and this black pigment should increase neuromelanin also.

I got yellow skin from eating too much garlic - from the sulfur - permanently. haha.

Ellen page got orange skin from eating too much carrots. haha.

So yeah 0- Milarepa got green skin from eating too much stinging nettles - well it was his diet.

So - black pigment should be the same.

Burdock is a diuretic.... but also antibacterial, etc.

ummm....

magnesium is the number one deficiency in the U.S. diet....

• Like 1

I use to take a greens powder and the main ingredient was nettle leaf, is this the same as stinging nettles? There's some interesting myths about nettles on wikipedia:

Milarepa, the great Tibetan ascetic and saint, was reputed to have survived his decades of solitary meditation by subsisting on nothing but nettles; his hair and skin turned green and he lived to the age of 83.

"Tender-handed, stroke a nettle, And it stings you for your pains. Grasp it like a man of mettle, And it soft as silk remains."

Nettles in a pocket will keep a person safe from lightning and bestow courage.

Nettles kept in a room will protect anyone inside.

Nettles are reputed to enhance fertility in men, and fever could be dispelled by plucking a nettle up by its roots while reciting the names of the sick man and his family.

lol, interesting stuff.

pythagoreanfulllotus! THANK YOU! someone had to say it, excessive ejaculation causes baldness! oh how western scientists and doctors would squirm at those words! "you mean to tell me, the sexual release that is so envigorating and stress relieving causes baldness and other untold weakenesses in the body! HOW DARE YOU make such an accusation!"

haha nice post lots of good info, thx!

Edited by Colonel Goji

yeah I actually discovered the science confirmation for ejaculation causing baldness in a Scientific Citation study at the U of MN - before they locked out their computers to the public....

ummm... that's a great database for science searches - it was some Turkish study....

so makes sense since Turkey still holds onto that truth I'm sure...

o.k.

yeah I was just eating a bunch of stinging nettles in the forest - I just grasp the leave and fold it in half and tear it off about 3/4 from the base, thereby avoiding any stingers....

but some like the stinging as it increases acetylcholine or something....

• Like 2

If I were to buy nettle leaves...

http://www.amazon.com/Starwest-Botanicals-Organic-Nettle-Sifted/dp/B001A1RS58/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1380147470&sr=8-4&keywords=Nettles

How would I go about ingesting these to receive the most benefit? Would I have to make a tea?

Yes. The technical term is an infusion -- you pour boiling water over the leaves and then let them sit for 20-30 minutes, whereupon you strain off the liquid, making sure to press it out of the herb too. Discard the herb, drink the liquid.

Another method, if you feel like making a "proper" infusion, is a water bath. This results in a more complete extraction of the medicinal principles. I know from experience though that for anything you do regularly, one might tend toward the quicker method.

The leaves themselves are edible but palatable only when fresh, you'd have a hard time with the dry ones. The traditional way to use fresh nettles is in a soup, pureed and seasoned with butter, sour cream, a few other herbs (chives, fennel, dill) and a sliced boiled egg. Quite yummy.

Yes. The technical term is an infusion -- you pour boiling water over the leaves and then let them sit for 20-30 minutes, whereupon you strain off the liquid, making sure to press it out of the herb too. Discard the herb, drink the liquid.

Another method, if you feel like making a "proper" infusion, is a water bath. This results in a more complete extraction of the medicinal principles. I know from experience though that for anything you do regularly, one might tend toward the quicker method.

The leaves themselves are edible but palatable only when fresh, you'd have a hard time with the dry ones. The traditional way to use fresh nettles is in a soup, pureed and seasoned with butter, sour cream, a few other herbs (chives, fennel, dill) and a sliced boiled egg. Quite yummy.

Hmmm, what is a water bath?

If I boil some in a pot to make soup, how strong of a boil and how long of a boil would you suggest.

Hmmm, what is a water bath? If I boil some in a pot to make soup, how strong of a boil and how long of a boil would you suggest.

Water bath: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bain-marie

Soup from dry herb: not recommended.

Fresh nettles (spring is the good time for them, later in the season they become a bit coarse) can be cooked the way you would cook spinach. Blanching is suggested by some recipes -- boil them for 1 or 2 minutes, drain, wash with cold water, then chop for the dish you're making, removing the coarse stems which are too fibrous to eat. This takes the bite out of the leaves, and also removes any dirt or sand stuck to them. Then you cook them in broth or water for about 15 minutes, on simmer, with whatever additional ingredients you desire -- e.g. rice or potatoes, onions, etc.. Here's one recipe:

http://localfoods.about.com/od/spring/r/NettleSoup.htm

• Like 1

Thank you kindly for the advice. I just got them today. I am going to try the first infusion method and pour boiling water over them and leave them sit.

• Like 1

I munched on some stinging nettles yesterday in the forest.

I suppose I should go harvest some more fresh.....

o.k. I looked - the drought this summer wiped out the stinging nettles.

I tried clearing the white snake root so more room for stinging nettles to spread.

Turns out white snake root did well in the drought.

Got just a few leaves of stinging nettles.

There might be another patch out there I'm missing -- maybe the southeast corner....

anyway

Edited by pythagoreanfulllotus

pythagoreanfulllotus! THANK YOU! someone had to say it, excessive ejaculation causes baldness! oh how western scientists and doctors would squirm at those words! "you mean to tell me, the sexual release that is so envigorating and stress relieving causes baldness and other untold weakenesses in the body! HOW DARE YOU make such an accusation!"

haha nice post lots of good info, thx!

Just to clarify.. while
Frequent ejaculation => male baldness and graying of hair
is true like you say (for those with inheritance for a DHT sensitive scalp ..)
..don't make the error of turning it an equivalence by suggesting the reverse
Male baldness => Frequent ejaculation
For it is not true.
Several of the most regarded spiritual teachers... George Ivanovich Gurdjieff, Sri Swami Sivananda, Oscar Uzcategui just to mention a few of them that even were known to teach about the importance of working with the sexual essence, of mind chastity, etc., all were bald at very early age. I am quite sure none of them ejaculated at all or at least at a very low rate.
So dont be baffled about qigongmasters being bald or even consider it an important matter.. Its simply inheritance / DHT sensitivity. Also if you save a your Jing you must transmute regularly else you really could get an overload of testosterone witch in a later stage might turn to DHT.
Just to avoid any simplistic presumption that a person with bald hair must have been a fornicator even if the probability might increase a a slight amount. ;)

Just as a clarification, Gurdjieff had at least seven children with seven different mothers. (Personally, I don't consider him to have been a spiritual leader but I know many do.)

Sign in to follow this