eye_of_the_storm

Men and Dinosaurs

I have a list of needful words I've created that I'm meaning to patentify and monetize so everyone who uses them will owes me 0.2 cents. I'll put yours on a tab though :).

looks like a bargain to me. worth every 0.2 cents

i am glad i locked in at the current rate :D

Species, are also subjective illusions of 'grouping' .

many groupings will eventually go extinctified

@thelerner, please add to my existing tab

Thing is ...

The thing is - you missed the rest of the conversation:

Not necessarily. The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Yes , I agree , The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

but we are not in a position of an absence of evidence

Regarding dinosaurs.

(snip)

The two arguments arent equal in strength.

Arguments rarely are.

Relying on preponderance is a well established method - as long as the foundations are kept in mind.

Nice to see you, Stosh (-:

The thing is - you missed the rest of the conversation:

Stosh, on 07 Aug 2013 - 11:27, said:snapback.png

Yes , I agree , The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Quite, in many ways the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, but the absence what is evidently absent is evidence of eventual evidence that eventually will prove evident.

Quite, in many ways the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, but the absence what is evidently absent is evidence of eventual evidence that eventually will prove evident.

That even smells bad!

Generally, yes, which is why, until that occurs (and because it may not), relying on preponderance is a well established method. (-:

• Like 1

Consider some digital data , it is a series of ons and offs, 1 0 s . If I never examine the data no conclusion about whether it was ones or zeros or a mix. That is a situation of no evidence either way. Now consider the data, the zeros indicate in the sequence that there is not a one there and the ones indicate there is not a zero there. If you couldn't be sure of the zeros as well as the ones you cpupdnt have any certainty what the sequence was! So the lack of power, at points in the sequence is just as much 'evidence' as the peaks of power are.

Scenario 2 ..process of elimination,

A person forgets where they put down their keys.. they look in a few places to ascertain they are NOT in those spots and move on until they do find the keys. Again, the evidence of where the keys are not leads one to be able to determine where they are. IF a person could not trust the evidence of where the keys were not, they would ... ridiculously .. look in the exact same place over and over again..why? Because they would have no reason to assume the keys were not going to be there!

Edited by Stosh

Honey! Did you see my keys?

No , I looked on the table. Why don't you look on the table?

I'm looking on the table. Are they on the table ?

I don't know , try looking on the table , maybe they are there.

Edited by Stosh

With me its usually glasses:

Honey! Did you see my glasses?

-Have you tried looking on top of your head.

No! Its impossible to look

on top of my own head

and even if I could

I'd need glasses to see whats there.

• Like 3

Ah, so what we're claiming now is that Dinosaurs have evolved & become completely "Invisible".

Then (those small enough) go into peoples houses & hide their keys & glasses :excl:

Gosh, when you break it down like that, it ALL starts to make sense. ;)

:D:D :D :D:D:D

• Like 4

As Blaise Pascal always used to say , If your excuse makes your lady laugh, the premise is proven valid. :)

• Like 2

back on subject:

Strangely I'm more open to the idea of ancient astronauts. Not that I believe in them, just more open to the evidence.

moving away from subject:

If I was an alien visitor, you bet I'd be hunting and collecting dinosaurs like they were Pokemon cards.