Sign in to follow this  
4bsolute

Is it okay to perform Energy Cultivation Practices during a Juice- or Water-fast?

Dear Ones,

is it advisable to perform Energy Cultivation Practices like the Microscopic Orbit or Qi Gong during a Juice- or Water-Fast?

Please only reply if you have the knowledge in having participated in an actual fast. Approaching this simple from what you think is correct, is very different in the end. No offense, but self-experience comes first. Especially with this difficult topic.

I really like to hear what one can say of his or her personal experience with this.

Kind regards.

Edited by 4bsolute

I have performed 5-6 fast admiteddly only for 3 days each time.

Some of my fasts were 72 hours of awareness on the lower dan tian including sleep, and that definately counts as energetic practice.

I didnt have the energy to sit or do heavy exercise

But what one does with their mind is always a form of energy cultivation for example, one can write poems eg channel and download information, or delete weaknesses eg the yuen method or chant mantras, listen to calm music, go for long walks in nature, sit in nature, these are all forms of energy cultivation. In a way every thought, intention, feeling, belief, action is a form of energy practice and acts of kindness are powerful energy practice. I realised that even discussing so called supernatural things even subtly with others (normal people) can be a very subtle form of bragging or disharmony and contributed to feeling less healthy aka making you sick, so behaviour patterns can be a form of energy work.

From my experience, and advice from my teachers, there's no reason you can't.

The bigger question is what kind of energy you'll have during the fast, and what practices you'll be able to perform.

I did a 6 day water fast in the mountains last year while in China, and by day 4 I had very little energy to do anything but sit and watch nature go by. I journaled, read scripture, and just watched the world around me. Still effective, but any thoughts of bagua, tai chi, or demanding qigong practices when out the door.....

Edited by robmix

I have done both juice and water fasts and had very little energy with the water fast so I do not recommend it. The juice fast I think you will feel much better and benefit more from. I was not practicing any cultivation at the time but you certainly can if you have the energy and keep in mind your practice will give you more energy and probably compliment the benefits of your juice fast. You also will sleep less I onlly needed 4 hours of sleep so you may have more time on your hands to cultivate. I would stay away from strenuous exercise though.

I would like to add that during my fast I was in my cell, praying nearly all day, and I mean that in the literal sense. I would think that if you decide to fast that you will have to supplement your nutrition with qi so it would be important for you to practice for many hours a day and probably not strenuous physical practice.

• Like 1

Please read the thread in these forums on fasting - most of the people that fast have done very little to prepare themselves mentally by reading about it from experienced eastern practitioners.

If have fasted many times - the shortest fast was a 5 day water fast and most of the fasts have been 18 - 23 days.

I have never been tired on a fast or exhausted after the third day and by the 4th day I feel good, by the 5th day I feel great.

Doing any form of yoga or Qi gong at this time should be quit easy and your experience should be quite profound.

Do not harp on one particular area - this could prove to be a very big mistake. A general energy routine is good.

I would advise against strong breathing routines - particularly trying to pop your kundalini.

Full on general routines will prove to be exhilarating and you with find them extremely centering.

I have always gone on fasts for spiritual purposes and they are one of the best mechanical methods for recalibrating yourself and seeing / feeling your original essence.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 3

good lower dantien breathing can do a good job supplementing the electrochemical energy your body feels its missing with some good ol electromagnetic. especially if you've done the anapana work harmonizing the mechanics of breath.

Dear 4bsolute,

Fasting can be a fruitful endeavors for practitioners and cultivators.
One can develop a strong samadhi and great power of concentration from it.

Energy cultivation is what can aids one and helps one from being needing to eat or drink much.

You should also gain from the benefits from being able to feel more of the energy, both external and internal.

However may I ask you what is it are you hoping to get out of this?

If condition permits you to fast, I would recommend speech fasting or vow of silence first.

Meaning taking abstinence from speech, internet, reading or writing for a specified amount of time 3-5 days or more.

Personally, I have found that the latter kind of fasting have been more fruitful for my practice.

Peace and fruitfulness be on your path.

XJ

Sign in to follow this