RongzomFan

I no longer believe in Aryan Migration Theory

You are putting more weight on this stuff than me.

Oh really? I thought in the Indian educational system such a theory is still being discussed and taught in great length...hheheheh... :)

Edited by ChiForce

Ridiculous??? Hahahah...you love that word. FYI, I follow international politics very, very closely, especially the recent NSA scandals. Keep your propaganda to yourself....

Yes a 2009 Harvard genetics study is propaganda. There was also more propaganda from a Stanford genetics study.

Yes a 2009 Harvard genetics study is propaganda. There was also more propaganda from a Stanford genetics study.

Ok, you are losing me or you are losing yourself. How does a silly DNA test shows that why India is or is not behind China in the military, social and economic developments??? Or you are still referring to that tiny insignificant theory about the Aryan influence in the Indian cultures and religions, somehow, the Indian govt feels that all Indians should learn about???

India is or is not behind China in the military, social and economic developments???

You are crazy to even compare China to India. When is China going to give Tibet back?

Or you are still referring to that tiny insignificant theory about the Aryan influence in the Indian cultures and religions, somehow, the Indian govt feels that all Indians should learn about???

You consider the thread subject as insignificant. Yet you continually post in this thread...

Edited by alwayson

Sound based language, two worlds one higher one lower, discriminating against its own population, caste system, The birth of western civilization and not to be proud of,

the true eastern system, symbols for words (Transmission to next generation intact, words change in meaning over time, a picture is a picture), one world (we are responsible and divine), equality of races within china and beyond, men and women equal and facing each other, observation of the natural world.invented everything and only rediscovered by other civilization thousands of years latter,Balance and harmony, complementary opposites, do I need to go on?

USA is fertile ground for such an enlightened eastern world view. people get confused thinking indian philosophy and worldview is eastern.

How does a silly DNA test

Yep Harvard people are silly for doing such a study.

And the most prestigious journal, Nature, is silly for publishing it.

That's sarcasm by the way.

You are crazy to even compare China to India. When is China going to give Tibet back?

You consider history as insignificant. That's merely your opinion. Not fact.

Hahahahaha...Tibet? Hahahaha..... :) Did you just google that? :) All historical reconstructions are to appeal to our senses. Some senses are more deluded than others. You have to ask yourself why the Aryan migration theory is so important. Does it imply that the foundation of the Indian society is loosely based on some primitive Caucasian nomadic tribes? What is influencing who or who is relating to who? The world Aryan is so super charged with meaning (negatively).

Hahahahaha...Tibet? Hahahaha..... :) Did you just google that? :)

Wow.

You have to ask yourself why the Aryan migration theory is so important.

Ask historians. Not me.

Romilla Thapar is a discredited historian. No point in even reading it.

Hahahaha...I like him. He is basically saying that early Indian nationalism was meant to use the Aryan theory to bridge and link with other "European colonizers of India." The "right wing" Indian nationalists went so far to establish a caste system based on the supposedly Aryan lineage of the upper caste, which give them the right to rule of the lower caste. Basically, he is saying that the right wing Indian nationalists want a kinder and gentler fascism. :) He isn't talking about history as much but about how these Aryan theory is being used in the contemporary politics. I am going to read it through....

The "right wing" Indian nationalists went so far to establish a caste system based on the supposedly Aryan lineage of the upper caste, which give them the right to rule of the lower caste.

Even top western Ivy League scholars say caste is a British construction.

For example refer to Columbia dean Nicholas Dirks’ Caste of Mind (Princeton University Press).

Even top western Ivy League scholars say caste is a British construction.

For example refer to Columbia dean Nicholas Dirks’ Caste of Mind (Princeton University Press).

http://press.princeton.edu/titles/7191.html

Dirks does not contend that caste was invented by the British. But under British domination caste did become a single term capable of naming and above all subsuming India's diverse forms of social identity and organization.Dirks traces the career of caste from the medieval kingdoms of southern India to the textual traces of early colonial archives

I read the book. He says its a British construction quite plainly. Read it for yourself.

So he details the difference between invention and construction? haha.

Of course in the context of caste in India. The term is from Portuguese right? So that is from the publisher description.

You think it's just a case of Princeton U Press misrepresenting the author?

Or the subtle difference between "invention" and "construction."

The sentence should read:

Dirke contends the British did not invent caste in India but the British did construct caste.

That sounds like the British added on to something that was already there.

I can totally agree to that - I've read about that in regard to the Nadars for example.

But so do you think the publishers are incorrect in stating the British did not "invent" the caste system in India?

o.k. http://www.lse.ac.uk/internationalDevelopment/pdf/WP/WP104.pdf

looks like concrete evidence -- female infanticide -- disproving one facet of Dirkes at least.

Is it a black swan or just an anomaly to his argument?

this greater context....directly contradicting Dirks's argument.

So a black swan.

Edited by pythagoreanfulllotus

Yeah and historians are only important to colleges...and coming up with shows on the history channel.

I love history and the study of it, but it's always going to be a half truth of what really happened. Only god knows what really happened...everyone else just makes logical and well reasoned guesses. It's all fun and everything to reminisce about, but how does it effect us now, today? We'd all actually be better off moving forward more than trying to analyze past events with little evidence.

The one interesting thing I've begun to read about economic history that finally people are beginning to embrace and talk about, is the shift from thinking civilization developed out of necessity to the logical assumption that civilized agricultural societies were formed by choice. It totally disproves the theory of social Darwinism as the cause behind what the human world has become.

It's all fun and everything to reminisce about, but how does it effect us now, today?

Read Breaking India to see how Aryan Migration Theory affects us now, today.

Yeah and historians are only important to colleges...and coming up with shows on the history channel.

I love history and the study of it, but it's always going to be a half truth of what really happened. Only god knows what really happened...everyone else just makes logical and well reasoned guesses. It's all fun and everything to reminisce about, but how does it effect us now, today? We'd all actually be better off moving forward more than trying to analyze past events with little evidence.

The one interesting thing I've begun to read about economic history that finally people are beginning to embrace and talk about, is the shift from thinking civilization developed out of necessity to the logical assumption that civilized agricultural societies were formed by choice. It totally disproves the theory of social Darwinism as the cause behind what the human world has become.

Another reasonably sound theory I've read is Robert Pirsig's Metaphysics of Quality...in that Civilization is a natural course of the dynamics of "Quality" (the ineffable unit that everything else is an emanation of). And the cycle of MoQ is dynamic leads to static which devolves after a while into dynamic and then static again (simultaneously at multiple levels)

Here's an article i'd written on this subject a few years back --

http://www.medhajournal.com/philosophy/13-indic-culture-in-a-metaphysical-framework.html

Edited by dwai

Thanks I've watched the video now ... very interesting indeed.

I don't care about the youtube video. I didn't post the youtube video.

I was talking about the Harvard genetics study published in Nature, which is the most prestigious journal.

I don't care about the youtube video. I didn't post the youtube video.

I was talking about the Harvard genetics study published in Nature, which is the most prestigious journal.

yes ok ... but I have still watched the vid and it was interesting.