Sign in to follow this  
nine tailed fox

how to Meditate ?

i know, i know this is an age old question, but its an important one

there are so many books and techniques out there that its overwhelming and confusing

and now a days meditation has become a tool to relieve stress, guided visualizations.......etc

its like its original purpose is lost

so if you were to suggest meditation techniques to a complete beginner, to achieve Enlightenment

what would you suggest ?

Edited by nine tailed fox
  • Like 1

damn it

Edited by skydog
  • Like 1

Seated meditations like deep belly breathing with concentration, if you find yourself dozing off then use some malas or a prayer rope.

Tai chi flowing mediation.

Bone breathing then total body bone condensing. If you have dedication and want to live on the edge then do tummo. Tummo and tai chi. You'll have what you need to awaken in 2 easy steps.

I cant be ersed

Edited by skydog
  • Like 1

there are so many books and techniques out there that its overwhelming and confusing

and now a days meditation has become a tool to relieve stress, guided visualizations.......etc

so if you were to suggest meditation techniques to a complete beginner, to achieve Enlightenment

what would you suggest ?

Are you sure you want to ask the question here. Do you want to be more confused....???

First of all, you must know what is the exact definition of meditation and its purpose. Otherwise, if you don't get the definition straight, then you will never know what it is. People will tell you what they think it is with thousands of nomenclatures. Unfortunately, you will be ended up where you had started.

PM me if you are interested. I'll only give you one, and only one, straight answer without overwhelming you with confusions.

I really strongly suggest getting 'The Attention Revolution' by Alan Wallace. It very clearly explains three popular meditation methods, the stages of meditation, how meditation works and why to do it.

It's really very clear, it goes in stage order so a beginner can start with a simple variation of 'mindfulness of breathing' to build a foundation of relaxation, and in time progress through subtler practices and more advanced ideas.

Mindfulness of breathing is very popular for a reason - it's easy for beginners to do it focusing on the whole experience of breathing to get started, as you advance you can adjust to focusing on smaller things like the sensation of breath at the nostrils to get further. So it can be adapted for the stage you're at very easily. Also because the breath is a neutral and very simple stimulus, it's possible to reach the highest levels of awareness. And yet more, watching the ebb and flow of breath leads to realisation of impermanence.

The other techniques covered are also very effective cultivation indeed. Also the book covers some stuff on dream yoga and the 4 immeasurables.

So get this book... the chapters on mindfulness of breathing alone are priceless. Feel free to message me with any questions. :)

• Like 1

There are tens of thousands of meditation forms, a form for each type of person so you have to find one that works for you, what they all have in common though is that if they work they should lead to the formless state of real meditation or non-meditation where the technique has dropped away and there is just awareness.

The most common recommendation I have found in many different traditions is meditation on the breath for many reasons, some of which are that the breath connects all parts of your being so to bring attention to it helps harmonize yourself very quickly, the state of your mind and emotions is always reflected in your breath, the other reason why it is good is because on the outbreath when you open up to universe and on the pause after the inbreath there is a possibility of resting in the stillness of formless non-meditation awareness.

Edited by Jetsun
  • Like 1

OP. Try reading this book

It boils everything down to what it IS and goes straight to the point.

It will help you understand the underlying aim and mechanics behind different meditation techniques.

How you should meditate depends on your goal, there are thousands perhaps hundreds of thousands maybe even millions of types of meditation, each with different goals and purposes.

What is it you hope to accomplish via meditation? Answer that first then find a system which caters to that.

what would you suggest ?

• Like 1

Hard to say. Beginners have many obstructions, and its not just about the style of meditation. I used mantra alot, still do.

Are you sure you want to ask the question here. Do you want to be more confused....???

Now, do you see what I mean.....??? ;)

Sign in to follow this