Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

Who's interested in becoming a Moderator?

Well, that all hinges on the specific definition of what you are calling trolling. You liken it to criminal activity.

I certainly don't think criminal activities should be promoted or allowed, and I don't think they are.

To some people trolling could mean playing a joke, or being in a heated argument. To other people it might mean stalking or revealing personal information.

Moderators are just there to ensure forum rules are followed. They can't allow their personal opinions, biases, or interests to influence their actions. They can't allow themselves to be pressured by people, and users can't be banned because you, or even a bunch of people, disagree with or have a problem with their opinions or statements. Disputes must be allowed to run their natural course, for better or worse, so long as they don't devolve into breaches of the rules. Even....if it makes some people butt hurt. Butt hurt isn't a reason for moderator action.

It was an analogy to describe your logic, not a literal parallel.

Impartial or not, trolling shouldn't be allowed. Period. You don't call a comedian making jokes a troll. It's a joke, not trolling. There is actually a difference. Oh and to clarify, I'm not saying everyone that makes a joke is a comedian... let's say my friend "plays a joke" (whatever that means), I don't call him a troll. A joke is a joke.

Edited by Celestial

Well, you didn't really define it.

However, I did glance at your linked thread. It wouldn't surprise me if you could get some moderator action in your favor, for being called lackie over and over again.

Edited by Immortal4life

The only thing i ever moderated was a chan board, where everything is allowed except excessive spam. Let them run their course, they will run out of steam eventually.

Celestial doesn't seem too crazy and wants the job. If he understands the work involved and temperance needed, I say great.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

Now that we are on the subject of moderators, here is an image that I reported which I believe is misogynistic but my report was ignored. Just to make certain that I wasn't being too judgemental, I asked my girlfriend what she thought. She agreed that such images have no place on this site and this one in particular is misogynistic in tone. The image represents the idea that women are objects for consumption by males. I even ran this image by a friend (PhD) of mine who teaches graduate studies in Sociology, what he thought and he was in agreement.

Why are not the forum rules followed here? It seems to me the moderators or maybe just one moderator is showing a particular bias.

http://thetaobums.com/topic/28606-i-want-this;/#entry439100

Edited by ralis

i agree with you on that pic ralis, but i would go a step further and say that entire thread is pointless and in need of deletion. If not immediately for having zero content, then after it has died off on it's own just for cleanup

but of course i don't really know if "pointless" qualifies for something that should be deleted here

It seems to me that 'the pit' is nothing more than an 'Orwellian Memory Hole'.

7 minutes ago, thelerner said:

Let see if I can <bump> this up 6 years and 2 months.

<BUMP>

Go for it.  You have my vote.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this