manitou

One incredible fortune cookie

This is the actual fortune cookie from our dinner last night at a dive called the China Buffet.

"Every person is the creation of himself, the image of his own thinking and believing"

I thought that was rather profound for a piece of paper shoved into a cookie.

• Like 4

I save my fortune cookies. I have about 16 in a storage bag. Just in case one day I might need a change in fortune.

• Like 5

as a kid I believed they'd only come true of I ate them (the paper fortune).

they don't don't taste too bad, no taste at all if you swallow.

• Like 4

that is verry profound! i see this on a day to day basis, how ppl think believe and live their lives its easy to see what they are creating and who they are creating themselves to be. verry verry interesting!

• Like 1

as a kid I believed they'd only come true of I ate them (the paper fortune).

they don't don't taste too bad, no taste at all if you swallow.

I still adhere to the belief that you have to eat the whole cookie before you can look.

• Like 1

"Every person is the creation of himself, the image of his own thinking and believing"

In a way yes and in a way no . Most of our thinking/knowledge is not our own IMO , but a product of our enviroment , recaycled and reshaped ideas we choose to mindlesly act upon .

Only when we go deep within do we get fresh knowledge , and that is quite rare.

In another words yes ideas translate into actions and become ones own reality , but those adopted ideas are shared property we embody in different individual ways .

Now where do ideas , thinking come ? This an interesting one .

It is 7am and Iam feeling particulary phylosophical , am off for my morning meditation maybe should meditate on this ...

This is an oooold indian philosophy...

Why not

"Every creation of himself, the image of one's own thinking and believing is the creation of the person" ?

Weird phrases with no practical value, imho.

Edited by DAO rain TAO

In a way yes and in a way no . Most of our thinking/knowledge is not our own IMO , but a product of our enviroment , recaycled and reshaped ideas we choose to mindlesly act upon .

In another words yes ideas translate into actions and become ones own reality , but those adopted ideas are shared property we embody in different individual ways .

I'm an engineer. One model is that we're reverse engineering the universe (outside and inside). Everything under the sun is inside ourselves or outside in the whole universe already. We only get "divine" inspiration.

This view is related to another view that we human are AI. The major difference between human and AI is that AI can't come up with an original idea.

I disagree.

I believe we're playing a game of pushing envelop. Each new generation has the accumulated knowledges of the previous generations, and are equiped with better tools. They can either add new definitions into the existing world, or push the limit of some old definitions.

Back to fortune cookie.

During a period of depression, I got a very uplifting message inside a fortune cookie.

"Your existence is a contribution to the mankind"

It was of great help to me.

Who cares what the truth is. I prefer to pretending to be the favorite creation of God than thinking oneself a trapped bug inside a glass jar. I'd rather want to feel empowered than helpless, curious than dull, content than bitter sour.

• Like 4

It is 7am and Iam feeling particulary phylosophical , am off for my morning meditation maybe should meditate on this ...

The older I've gotten the more metaphysical I've gotten. To me, this is the One Mind, the Undercurrent of All, the Void, the Tao. This is what is is. This is what it all is, including us, our physical, mental, psychic, and emotional bodies. We are all part of the same One thing. Sometimes it's fun to think of each of us actually being tentacles on a huge giant squid, each of us thinking we're separate from each other. Little do we know we're all actually joined way back there at the head.

We are It. It doesn't project from 'out there, onto us'. If we are all within the One, we therefore must be projecting From the Inside To the Outside. Matter only has intelligence in it when it is inhabited by mind; when the mind leaves, the matter returns to earth.

We are the image of what we think. If we choose to look at the world as a miserable place, the world will be a miserable place. Even if you are living in the hills of Malibu. If we choose to look instead of the world as the Sage of the TTC would, we would learn that happiness is the product of learning to be happy with what we have, not wanting more and waiting for 'If only.....'

I go along with the pushing the envelope metaphor. It occurred to me that the perfect metaphor for our human brain is the sun! It is the center of our consciousness, as the sun is the center of the consciousness of the universe. And what do we have inside the earth? Molten sun as well!

There's just something about fire.

But yes, I do Gnow that we are creating ourselves day by day; I do Gnow that your higher self and my higher self are one and the same, and I do Gnow that we are merely a reflection; that the matter that we have been taught to worship, regardless of the tradition, is illusion. I Gnow that each and every one of us has a metaphoric glowing ember within ourselves which corresponds with the sun, with the center of the earth. and it's up to each and every one of us to choose to either grow and release our stranglehold on the things and people in our lives, or to cling to all we hold dear and try desperately to keep things from changing. This is what don Juan Mateus would talk about, the luminous egg which modern man still possesses but it nearly gone and eaten away; that the luminous egg is seen only when one has the eye to see it, as though it takes an enlightened soul to recognize another enlightened soul.

And love? How does this enter into our manifestation. Each and every day. With every conversation, if we are In Alignment and if we are In Consciousness as we go about the day. When love is the emotion that we convey, looking into the eyes of another is a spiritual experience; we know that we are looking into the eyes of the One. And with all levels of animal, plant, mineral consciousness as well.

• Like 2

I'm an engineer. One model is that we're reverse engineering the universe (outside and inside). Everything under the sun is inside ourselves or outside in the whole universe already. We only get "divine" inspiration.

This view is related to another view that we human are AI. The major difference between human and AI is that AI can't come up with an original idea.

I disagree.

I believe we're playing a game of pushing envelop. Each new generation has the accumulated knowledges of the previous generations, and are equiped with better tools. They can either add new definitions into the existing world, or push the limit of some old definitions.

Back to fortune cookie.

During a period of depression, I got a very uplifting message inside a fortune cookie.

"Your existence is a contribution to the mankind"

It was of great help to me.

Who cares what the truth is. I prefer to pretending to be the favorite creation of God than thinking oneself a trapped bug inside a glass jar. I'd rather want to feel empowered than helpless, curious than dull, content than bitter sour.

Hello Hydrogen ,

I like the message in your fortune cookie and certanly agree with that one . Cocreating , but not only 'every person is a creation of himself ' .

As individuals everyone is different mix of same stuff . Our thoughts depend on so many circumstances . This shows that as much as person is creating himslef , he can only create himself according to enviroment including stars and planets , DNA etc .. When person becomes truly wise s/he starts abiding by different rules . That is why I said that original thoughts are rare .

It is common endevour for example to want to create something -- wherther a situation , and no matter how hard one is trying -- it is just not possible . Mostly becouse the time is not right , as simple as it sound , nothing to do with individual ability to create .

As embryo lives 9 months in a womb and than is born , so do all ideas and thoughts manifest accordingly to their own timing that could actually be decoded and rearranged to extent through meditation .

Good that you enjoy your pretending - for better or worst , but dont understand why would or what would make you feel like a trapped bug inside the glass jar (context of ?)?

I definetly stand behind that most of our thoughts are recycled and reshaped . There is nothing just so glamorous and individual , more like interconnected .

Although I do like to think that I am glamorous individual sometimes , especially now that the Spring is here . ;):D

A lot of inventors and scientists or artists IMO get sort of revelateions , but obviously not necesasry of religious nature . Which result in a sort of outward siddhis .

Edited by suninmyeyes

Personally, I think the reason it appears from our point of view that the universe is expanding, is because man's awareness is expanding. It is our combined knowledge, inner and outer, that expands the envelope.

• Like 1

i will post my fortune cookies once i get internet at my house. i have saved up quite a few of them :)

That would be neat. A thread for fortune cookie fortunes.

Better
to
live
in the time
you live
rather
than
live a
lie.

According
to
fortune cookie
philosophy,
Confucius says:
May
you
live
in
in-
ter-
est-
ing
times.

Confusing saying
What?

Makes
no
sense.
Utter
non
sense!

Facetious
fortune
cookie
lose
something
in
trans-
lat-
ion?

Boring
people
may
seem
to
be,
but
never
boring
times.

Remember
there’s
always
some
thing
hap-
pen-
ing
inside.

• Like 1

Personally, I think the reason it appears from our point of view that the universe is expanding, is because man's awareness is expanding. It is our combined knowledge, inner and outer, that expands the envelope.

Exactly.

I have to use a cliche "life is unfolding itself" or "universe is unfolding itself".

Our individual thought "creates" his/her own world.

Our collective thoughts "create" the shared universe.

• Like 1