Protector

Feminist thread

My point stands whether you take one comic, the sample of three you posted, or the whole damn thing.

The artist made a choice to depict a woman rather than a gay man, and a conventionally attractive woman rather than some other type of woman.

HO-LY FLIPPING BURGERS!!!

It does not

It's like going over South Park and then stopping an episode for, "Hey, see that thing? Change it or you might offend somebody"

He made a choice, and it was an appropriated one

Out of 4644 Sinfest comics to date, it's one of my most favorite ones

2010-10-30.gif

This one is the best, though

HO-LY FLIPPING BURGERS!!!

It does not

Slow down there, sparky. Yeah, it does. Because you see...

It's like going over South Park and then stopping an episode for, "Hey, see that thing? Change it or you might offend somebody"

He made a choice, and it was an appropriated one

Nowhere did I say he should change it. My point is that he made an artistic decision. Why did he make that decision? Why did he not make another? What might have happened if he had made that other decision?

That's what I'm asking. Not trying to ruin your favorite comic, so rest easy.

• Like 1

NEVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!!!

And sometimes it's better not to ask

2000-01-21.gif

2000-01-25.gif

2000-01-29.gif

He made a 180o with the new stuff

• Like 1

http://suzeart.tumblr.com/post/49225090860/a-list-of-mens-rights-issues-that-feminism-is

"

A List of “Men’s Rights” Issues That Feminism Is Already Working On

Feminists do not want you to lose custody of your children. The assumption that women are naturally better caregivers is part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not like commercials in which bumbling dads mess up the laundry and competent wives have to bustle in and fix it. The assumption that women are naturally better housekeepers is part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not want you to have to make alimony payments. Alimony is set up to combat the fact that women have been historically expected to prioritize domestic duties over professional goals, thus minimizing their earning potential if their “traditional” marriages end. The assumption that wives should make babies instead of money is part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not want anyone to get raped in prison. Permissiveness and jokes about prison rape are part of rape culture, which is part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not want anyone to be falsely accused of rape. False rape accusations discredit rape victims, which reinforces rape culture, which is part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not want you to be lonely and we do not hate “nice guys.” The idea that certain people are inherently more valuable than other people because of superficial physical attributes is part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not want you to have to pay for dinner. We want the opportunity to achieve financial success on par with men in any field we choose (and are qualified for), and the fact that we currently don’t is part of patriarchy. The idea that men should coddle and provide for women, and/or purchase their affections in romantic contexts, is condescending and damaging and part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not want you to be maimed or killed in industrial accidents, or toil in coal mines while we do cushy secretarial work and various yarn-themed activities. The fact that women have long been shut out of dangerous industrial jobs (by men, by the way) is part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not want you to commit suicide. Any pressures and expectations that lower the quality of life of either gender are part of patriarchy. The fact that depression is characterized as an effeminate weakness, making men less likely to seek treatment, is part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not want you to be viewed with suspicion when you take your child to the park (men frequently insist that this is a serious issue, so I will take them at their word). The assumption that men are insatiable sexual animals, combined with the idea that it’s unnatural for men to care for children, is part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not want you to be drafted and then die in a war while we stay home and iron stuff. The idea that women are too weak to fight or too delicate to function in a military setting is part of patriarchy.

Feminists do not want women to escape prosecution on legitimate domestic violence charges, nor do we want men to be ridiculed for being raped or abused. The idea that women are naturally gentle and compliant and that victimhood is inherently feminine is part of patriarchy.

Feminists hate patriarchy. We do not hate you.

If you really care about those issues as passionately as you say you do, you should be thanking feminists, because feminism is a social movement actively dedicated to dismantling every single one of them. The fact that you blame feminists—your allies—for problems against which they have been struggling for decades suggests that supporting men isn’t nearly as important to you as resenting women. We care about your problems a lot. Could you try caring about ours?

"

Good repost protector.

There's a lot of different camps even in feminism.

Some radical feminist camps believe that men can't actually be feminists, because they (we, I'm a guy :P) are all beneficiaries of patriarchal privilege, so we can't fundamentally understand the struggles and experiences of the underclass.

So we should get the fuck out of the way and let the feminists tell us what the patriarchy is and how it really affects people. Because we don't see it.

I don't think there's one overarching force, no overarching system that brings or denies privilege. It's a situational, context type of thing. Someone with privilege in one context might not have it in another, and might have it in another.

It's why I got disenchanted with feminism after a while (I was raised by a pretty feminist mother) and why I never got behind the men's rights groups.

I agree with most of those groups on a lot of points, and (funnily enough) is also disagree with those groups on a lot of points.

So hey.

• Like 2

The attraction to bad boys and jerks tends to be strongest among younger women (teens to mid twenties) and then falls off quickly after that.

Well, it usually falls off right after they have successfully had kids with them.. :D

Latest all-American power couple - 79-yo Charles Manson + 25-yo groupie “Star" :lol:

manson24n-3-web.jpg

Edited by vortex

Feminism is when females disregard their female power because it appears too humble for them.

They abandon their female power to take the male power which is of an higher rank in this society.

The result is that women act as males and it's almost impossible to find a real female in western society.

No more femininity.

How sad. :(

Thank God then for Drag Queens--who do know a thing or two about feminine power--and are willing to carry the torch!

Thank God then for Drag Queens--who do know a thing or two about feminine power--and are willing to carry the torch!

No judgment here, but that's a far cry from real femininity!

So...ya aren't fooled by the "impersonation" Turtle Shell? Fair enough. I'd venture that a great many drag queens aren't all that interested in fooling anybody. Instead, they aim to play with the fluidity of gender roles, and our sometimes overly rigid notions of feminity and masculinity. A man who frolicks around onstage in a dress is still a man-- albeit with balls bigger than most. Playful crossdressing activates archtypes and opens possibilities unavailable to those unwilling to sally out of the straightjacket of anatomically-given gender. Feminine power is a part of that.

Awww, who am I kidding? Drag queens just wanna have fun.

Edited by liminal_luke

Luke,

I personally think the genders are our true nature, and not simply a role that most people unconsciously play, which the few (drag queens etc) are free of, as if it were a straight jacket. It's who we are, inescapably...and motivates our actions, even if those actions are to become a drag queen.

In my view, when a person adopts the other gender, it's almost always based on surface stuff...for instance, look at how drag queens become "feminine": they raise the pitch of their voice, imitate the gestures and speech of women, put on makeup, do up their hair or have wigs, wear dresses and high heels, etc.

That's not femininity! That's how women tend to behave in this culture, as seen from an outside perspective...as perpetrated by those who were born as men.

It's the same thing when a woman tries to act more masculine. She takes on her misperceptions of what men are, rather than actually becoming a man...and thus fails miserably to become truly masculine, and also loses her femininity in the process...because she's straying from her true nature. If she would stop acting, and was simply true to herself, she'd finally be feminine. And it would benefit her.

Apart from the very few people who are truly born different, we can't change the fact that we as men are XY, and women are XX. That has broad implications, and no matter what we have become, we will always be influenced by that. Even after gender reassignment surgery, the person is truly the gender they were born as...most people can tell just by looking at the bone structure.

Turtle Shell,

That's great that you don't experience your given gender as a "straightjacket." You are either very courageous and evolved and don't feel the need to mold yourself to cultural expectation...or else just lucky--who you really are corresponds closely to what the people around you expect, at least gender-wise.

That's not the case for everybody. While our idea of what's ok for men and women to do has loosened up quite a bit in the last 60 years or so, there's still plenty of Rosie's who would like to rivet and don't feel free to do so. Plenty of boys who are told not to play with dolls, or to cry or be expressive in an effusive way.

I'm neither transexual nor a drag queen, but my interests as a teenager didn't fit so well with the idea of "masculine" espoused by the salt-of-the-earth citizens of the rural community I grew up in. While I loved attending high-school football games, I could of cared less about the sport. I enjoyed walking around the track saying hi to my friends and eating hot dogs. One postgame night especially stands out in my memory. My dad asked me who won the game, and I didn't know. Let's just say that didn't go over so good. Things would of been ok if I liked building things or working on cars but I striked out in those departments as well prefering to spend my time studying mathematics and, um, eastern religious traditions. I was a taobum from the get-go; my status as a man's man is more shaky.

There's something pretty wonderful about unalloyed masculinity and feminity. I personally admire people whose psychological proclivities match up nicely with their anatomy. They've got it going on. But not everyone is like that. I dare say everyone has a little peanut butter in their chocolate-- and many of us are very jumbled indeed. In my opinion that jumble is not a distortion of "true nature," whatever that is, but a natural expression of the diversity of human existence. Some of those jumbled people become drag queens as a way to express part of that. And you're right that oftentimes that expression is stereotypical and superficial. To me though, it's beautiful just the same.

Liminal

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 1