Recently, Seth Ananda made a few replies where he expounded about invocation. My previous knowledge was limited, and very conditioned, and I thoroughly welcome these opportunities to poke holes into my rigidity.

From what I understood, invocation can help you understand aspects that otherwise may be far off from you. Invoking Mars can help you understand valiant qualities, martial attitudes etc., invoking Isis will show you something else, and so on.

Could this be used to teach you qualities that you may be quite lacking in? A man, hard, logical, not relational - could he through invocation of a suitable entity add compassion, feeling and sensitivity that he is lacking (to name one hypothetical example)?

Would the experience be an instance, a short demonstration that he then can work toward, or does it actually alter things permanently?

I find this very interesting, all input by you more experienced would be thorougly appreciated!

Well-wishes,

Mandrake

Every single spirit which you invoke (in the sense of bringing them within you), leaves a small piece of themselves within you. So in other words, much thought about which ones is always good ;). Sometimes just one invocation can lead to permanent personality changes (or greater understandings) and other times it takes several times.

Just make sure you get the right spirit, I've seen folks get the wrong one (random human spirit or trickster of some sort), which goes quite badly.

I wonder how this works in the sense of karma in the Taoist belief/system?

• Like 3

To evoke is (1) to summon or call forth, (2) to call to mind, and (3) to call up a memory from the past. To invoke is, primarily, to call upon something, especially aid, assistance, or a higher power.

There's a resonance of course ... so you invoke an entity/intelligence ... the process of which evokes a response from your own being ... or that's how I see it anyway ... as in as above so below and also as without so within ... we a re a microcosm of what is out there.

• Like 2

Invocation is treated in a variety of ways these days.

Chaos Magic people and the those who fall into the psychological/archetypal/jungian interpretation of Gods often treat it as a way to strengthen deficits in ones personality. Chaos Magicians will invoke cartoon characters, made up characters, tv characters as well as Gods or Spirits...

I have used invocation in these ways as well over the years, with some good success, but {to me} it seems to be lacking something.

As I said in the Grimoire thread, I see the Gods as being real and the ancient Gods have always felt far stronger to me than say spongebob.

Its just I have never had the kind of results with fictional characters as with ancient Gods... lol anyone suprised?

I was reading Michael Cecchetelli's book of Abrasax the other day and he pointed out that most people don't invoke to completion. They Invoke to, and stop at some point before full possession. I agree.

Full possession was a sacred phenomena in the old mystery schools, be they Hermetic, Neo platonic or other.

Once again I blame the stuffy Victorian mages, uncomfortable with the raw out of controll nature of possession for this being 'generally' de-emphasised in most western traditions. De-emphasised to the point where most western Hermetic paths barely count as spiritual systems.

I dont know how many rituals I have been to over the years where Gods/Goddesses were invoked to some place where everyone had some 'feeling' of their presence being there with us, then offerings and requests were made, depending on their traditions and then it all wrapped up. Its nice like that, but its also sad to think that even 1 more hour of solid invocation could occasionally have had a God step into the room.

Possession Changes the psych in deep and wonderful ways. When I first experienced full possession by Pan, He left me with a vastly enhanced sense of smell for several years. I could smell people round 50 ft away and could smell 'things' about them... I also felt part of something Greater, part of trees and nature, part of the ground. A vastness of being. It lasted for years.

My goals now are to work with the planetary Gods, following the Theurgy path. I wish to carry this out as fully and completely as possible, by Invoking each planetary God to full possession, at least several times, over what ever time period is necessary to fullfil that task.

Just to add another point though, some people have had horrid experiences invoking something into themselves that should have been an Evocation... All to try to be Baddass...

• Like 5

People invoke Sponge Bob???

My understanding of this is that anything people focus or concentrate on acquires energy. Thus, because of the nature of television one might imagine that spongebob in a way has become infused with people's energy. Chaos magicians and others try to use these "charged" symbols to there advantage......but that is just my limited understanding. Wouldn't mind hearing others thoughts on this.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen
  • Like 1

I think I should go read the forum rules veeeery carefully before posting my opinion about invoking sponge bob.... ;).

I can only imagine what the exorcism would be like if things went wrong.

• Like 2

I think I should go read the forum rules veeeery carefully before posting my opinion about invoking sponge bob.... ;).

I can only imagine what the exorcism would be like if things went wrong.

Rofl!!!

• Like 2

Just to add another point though, some people have had horrid experiences invoking something into themselves that should have been an Evocation... All to try to be Baddass...

Do you mean like Aleister Crowley and Choronzon?

• Like 1

Do you mean like Aleister Crowley and Choronzon?

Ha, do you mean the horrid experience or the trying to be a badass? :D

I have not read about him and 'newberg?' in years. I dont remember what he said it was like.

Seth -

Do you experience this possession while still in the body with the entity?

As an example - In the case of Pan - you experienced enhancements after the possession - were you there when it occurred?

Seth -

Do you experience this possession while still in the body with the entity?

As an example - In the case of Pan - you experienced enhancements after the possession - were you there when it occurred?

Yes. Its not like possession in the ATR's, at least not in my experience of it so far.

In that experience the spirit of Pan entered me through the back of my head. I was swept up in His enormous being. I was no longer me, but him. I chased women, terrified men, and ran up a hill I myself do not have the fittness to run up, and as Pan I danced and howled at the moon.

The whole experience probably only lasted half an hour, but left long term and permanent changes within me.

• Like 1

I would tend to say the standard ways for a particular God or Goddess, but for Longer periods.

Im not trying to sound evasive, its just that Gods and Goddesses often have specific prayers or mantras, favoured beverages or food, scents and colours.

I tend to like making and keeping a shrine or alter dedicated to that specific God or Goddess. I like to make offerings. I pray as often as I can for as long as I can, and sing or chant specific appropriate verses, or mantras as regularly as possible. When I am not with my shrine, I like to carry something that remind's me of that God or Goddess, and to continue to do prayers or mantras.

For instance I am starting with the Moon soon as the first planetary sphere to work through, and since I am approaching this from the 'Graeco Egyptian Magick' perspective { following Tony Mierzwicki's book of the same name } I will be using the Homeric and Orphic hymns a great deal, as well as my own prayers.

I like to try to find unique or creative ways to honour the Deity that I am working with as well.

I also sometimes like fasting or a restricted diet during these periods...

I do like Crowelys advice to 'Invoke often and inflame thyself with prayer'.

I have never experimented with giving myself a time period {like one week} for this. I prefer to just keep doing it until it works.

Edited by Seth Ananda

I should add that feeling bliss and the presence of the God means things are going well. That's where I keep praying, welcoming, and seeking union with the God...

I believe anyone at this stage who keeps going, will start to hit the real experiences.

Blessings.

Thanks for sharing that.

-----------------------------------

I had the good fortune of meeting with Dorthy MacLean one of the co-founders of Findhorn.

She speaks with spirits of large domains - she is still alive at 92+ and has moved back to Findhorn in Scotland.

If you are not familiar with Findhorn - be sure to look into the old stuff that made it famous - like waist high cabbage.

Thanks for sharing that.

-----------------------------------

I had the good fortune of meeting with Dorthy MacLean one of the co-founders of Findhorn.

She speaks with spirits of large domains - she is still alive at 92+ and has moved back to Findhorn in Scotland.

If you are not familiar with Findhorn - be sure to look into the old stuff that made it famous - like waist high cabbage.

Wow, I would love to meet Dorothy. I have several of her/their books, and think that Findhorn {in its early days} is one of the most important and amazing experiments to happen on earth.

Reading their material is what first helped me connect to nature spirits with any consistency. I love their stuff.

It also continues to amaze me how fast people overlook their incredible achievments, or just dont consider what their achievements actually imply about us, spirit and our future...

You may wish to try and contact her. Findhorn is less busy than you may guess - I was surprised at how calm it was.

My son turned 1 year old there - he is now almost 6

She had some very good stories:

1. During her stay there she was given the task of dealing with a very bad gofer problem. Tons of gofers were very active under the main sleeping area. It was disturbing everone. They worked on imagining that there was a fence surrounding the building and that the rodents could not cross the fence.

It seemed to have some effect but not the desired result - so she was asked to make contact with the head of the rodents. At first she had a problem with talking to a rodent being but she persisted and - bingo - it finally happened - she was talking to the head of the rodent population there!

She mentioned the fence and asked why it did not work - the rodent replied - "because you do not really believe in it".

So they worked on that and it did not take too long before the rodents moved to another area (for years).

About 6 months after she left Findhorn she got a call from them wondering "what did you do to keep the rodents away - they are all over the place under the main facility?" And so she told them the story.

2. She also spoke of meeting with the beings of cities. She spoke with one in a very big city and mentioned that she did not like all the concrete and people - to which the being replied: "Cities are wonderful places for many human beings to interact closely - to share their ideas, their energies, their visions - no other mechanism exists that is of the scale of a city" (this was before the internet).

She spoke with the being of Millwakee Wisconson and said it had a personality very much in line with the way people from there see themselves - a sort of swagering beer capital college town pirate type.

She spoke with the being of Canada - her home port - and much to her surprise it had little character and not allot of energy.

As she came to know it she realized that the Canadian people are very much like this being - they do not have a strong personal identitiy with Canada as a particular place - it is a mismash of cultures and disparate parts - and also closely associated with the United States but not in a strong light - rather - as the weak neighbor to the north.

I suggest you try to contact her in Findhorn - let us know of any progress you make - I met with her about 27 yrs ago.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 3

Have you read "Fairies at work and Play" by Goeffrey Hodson?

I would be surprised if you have not - but just in case - it is a treasure.

The first time I happened upon a sprit / nature being was during a demostration in San Jose California in front of about 400 people. I left my body so completely that I was completely awake and on top of my head - vividly awake - and in the rafters of the old building was a very large being with a huge round head and beautiful large eyes - his body was that of a walrus draped over about 16 feet of old timbers.

For all of the other stuff I was doing - watching that being was by far the big event that night.

Though - I had never been so clearly wide awake and completely out of my body before. That was also a very interesting experience. I could actually feel the hair on my head from the outside - their was nothing etheral about it - it was gritty real - bright and clean.

Edited by Spotless

Thanks all, you are a treasury of information!

What would be a responsible path to start working toward invocation? Does it require a developed enough subtle body to work?

I should add that feeling bliss and the presence of the God means things are going well. That's where I keep praying, welcoming, and seeking union with the God...

I believe anyone at this stage who keeps going, will start to hit the real experiences.

Blessings.

Seth:

Would you care to elaborate. How in general - why - does this bliss well upp? Has it to do with spiritual practices or even mundane choices?

Spotless:

Awesome, thanks for the anecdotes about the cities!

Mandrake

Thanks all, you are a treasury of information!

What would be a responsible path to start working toward invocation? Does it require a developed enough subtle body to work?

Grounding, some more grounding and yet even more grounding. It may sound counter intuitive, yet it is the most important aspect and unfortunately often forgotten.

• Like 1