Harmonious Emptiness

Is your Buddhism just an ego trip?

Isn't any effort towards anything an ego trip?

Maybe. I should clarify better that I was really just making a pun by saying "ego trip," meaning "does Buddhism offer you anything more in the way of living your life in harmony with humanity, or is it all just focused on yourself?"

But that's the hard part. Seeing through the illusion of self. Loving the self is hard. There are many who strive to love others as themselves, but haven't a clue as to their own inner workings. Love, true love, can't be achieved until the self and the ego has been clarified within ourselves. This takes some serious work.

True, it's important to love one's self as well in the whole "unconditional love" thing. And I agree, this is a worthwhile struggle if it is as such.

Love is a biased emotion, its opposite being hate. In Buddhism the ultimate expression is compassion, which is different from love because its not partial or biased. It also arises spontaneously and naturally, uncontrived, when we abide in our Buddha nature.

Furthermore there is no ultimate self in Buddhism. Although its recognized that we have a self that has arisen through causes and conditions (through dependent origination), its viewed that this self is a impermanent entity composed of a combination of the elements mixed with ones karmic accumulations. The Buddha nature is primordial emptiness, our own primordial nature. Although empty of existence (meaning it has not arisen as an object to be seen, held, smelled, and so forth) it is in fact a thing with qualities, its qualities are listed variously, but most generally speaking its open, spontaneous, indestructible, non dual, indivisible.

Its when we abide in our Buddha nature that spontaneous compassion for all beings arises, but it does so without any imputation of oneself or other as being real entities. In fact, its the very knowledge that there is no self that gives rise to compassion in the first place, because its seen very clearly that peoples belief in themselves and objects as absolutely real and permanent is what gives rise to suffering (through attachment to and aversion from objects/self).

Its a complicated subject and not easily understood intellectually. Better to meditate and try to directly experience the emptiness nature of phenomena for oneself.

I agree with you here that compassion is one of the blossoms that comes from practice. I just get the sense that a lot of people's practice never gets there.

To me the ego is something that doesn't know what it wants. It is a mere state of being. That is all.

I think Shamatha is enough in most cases, atleast for me. I am not truly familiar with all the buddhist terms, but there is definitely something about 'nothingness' that my soul finds relevant. Something eternal.

Also, where can I read up on the Buddhi mind? Besides google and wikipedia... Any scriptures?

Yes, there is room for others too in "nothingness," imo.

The Surungama scripture explains mind and self quite a bit. You can read it at sacred-texts.com

Maybe. I should clarify better that I was really just making a pun by saying "ego trip," meaning "does Buddhism offer you anything more in the way of living your life in harmony with humanity, or is it all just focused on yourself?"

I guess so. Firstly to remove your own suffering and then to remove the suffering of all others.

It is still grasping after something. But it is better to grasp after something that doesn't generate as much suffering than something else that does. Especially since that grasping for enlightenment will eventually destroy itself, when it is seen to be fictitious and a creation of the mind.

• Like 2

No because my path is all natural occurrences. No teachers. No guides. Very few books. Not even belonging to any lineage. I experienced the Kundalini energy rising at 18, checked. Can complete the microcosmic orbit in every morning within 25 minutes, checked. Has somewhat exhausted partially the 5 skandhas and maybe even have entered into the second state of samadhi (chi energy can stop moving). No way to verify except by another Master. And no drug usages, checked. Can hear my chakras vibrate at 3 or 4 distinct frequencies, checked. Have certain precognitive super power (not always accurate), checked. Remembered my past life and even how I died, checked. Did I miss this...no drug usages. Checked. I am also feeling a bit directionless at this point and not knowing what or how to use my cultivation to move my life "forward." Even if you have reached certain degree of enlightenment, you are still bounded by this world one way or the other. Or you can become an Arhat and overseeing a monastery. :)

Now, the ego. This can be easily explained. Just see the ego as a social construct created by the world you are living in in order to create a stratification of a society based on either money, wealth, race, culture, ethnicity, and so for. This could be as simple as having the latest Iphone because that would make you the coolest person...to believing in racism. These are all part of the 5 skandhas. There is an ego but quite often they are collectively created to empower one particular group over another based on wealth, money, race, culture, and status.

• Like 1

There is an ego but quite often they are collectively created to empower one particular group over another based on wealth, money, race, culture, and status.

just repeating for umph-asis

If someone into Buddhism was ego tripping with it.. are there some signs that they might recognise, to help them get clued into their self deception?

If someone into Buddhism was ego tripping with it.. are there some signs that they might recognise, to help them get clued into their self deception?

It's a tricky question, because there's good sides and bad sides to the elements, but maybe there is a clue in chapter 49 of the Dao De Jing:

(my translation, from Mawangdui B text:)

□人恆無心

The sage does not have a stubborn heart or mind

以百省之心為心

His heart and mind are no different from the peoples'

• Like 1

No matter which path you choose, whether its loosely or closely related to a religion or system, there are many ways for the ego to latch on something. I see lots of Buddhist monks in town, I can see pride in being a "home leaver" in some of their eyes. Its up to themselves or their teachers to notice and nullify this. I watched a Spanish film called "Camino" recently, and several characters were fanatic Catholic. Much of their behaviors were so similar to fervent Buddhists, even some fervent new agers, and I recommend the movie. Despite the apparent (false) fanaticism of the people around her, Camino, the little girl character was absolutely pure and natural in her spirituality. The question is, would she have gone wrong if she didn't have the fanatics around her pushing her towards spirituality? Many people would like to think the girl just "is" awakened, because the mind prefers to think in absolutes, not in the foggy world of nudges and partials. We like to use words like "Buddhism" because it represents so much, and its thrilling to be able to say a word so important like we know what it means.

Edited by de_paradise
  • Like 1

I can see pride in being a "home leaver" in some of their eyes.

You can see something that specific in people's eyes?

Edited by alwayson

You can see something that specific in people's eyes?

Its the tip of the iceburg. Masters of almost all the sects (here in Taiwan) spend lots of time talking about how much luck and karma a person has to have in order to be a "home leaver" and to have contact with a real master xyz , how its the best chance to acheive Nirvana. Its part of the recruitment process, its part and parcel of monk 101. Can we really see things in people's eyes? What a thing to question.

Edited by de_paradise
  • Like 1

Its the tip of the iceburg. Masters of almost all the sects (here in Taiwan) spend lots of time talking about how much luck and karma a person has to have in order to be a "home leaver" and to have contact with a real master xyz , how its the best chance to acheive Nirvana.

Well now you are changing the subject from seeing pride in people's eyes to luck and karma.

It is always lucky to meet a real master. That's standard Buddhism 101.

alwayson, what is suffering? How would we know if we were suffering?

Clinging and dwelling. It becomes obvious when this clinging and dwelling are still present even when the objects are no longer exist. Or when these clinging and dwelling feelings are coming from your past life!!!! :) For an example, longing for the love one you once lost or a past unfulfilled relationship. Ah, compassion and letting go.... Really not much you can do.

Guest Jason Croft

I've been thinking on this topic for awhile - and figured I'd throw it out and see how y'all thought of it. . . All the other religions / philosophies have a god or two - whereas The Buddhist deity has only been the Karma action of being responsible for our own actions as = the Newtonian concept ( It is Sir Isaac Newton's 3rd law of motion) of for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction - Which. . . is one of the constants of the laws of the universe. - So - is Buddhism the god of natural law ? :D ?

For a lot of time it was probably not just an ego trip but a superego trip, where I used the teachings to spiritualise my superego, so I would go around telling myself I should be compassionate all the time and shouldn't think certain things and should think others, trying to be a certain way in the world which I thought was better than before. Fortunately I've got over that, most of the time.

I've been thinking on this topic for awhile - and figured I'd throw it out and see how y'all thought of it. . . All the other religions / philosophies have a god or two - whereas The Buddhist deity has only been the Karma action of being responsible for our own actions as = the Newtonian concept ( It is Sir Isaac Newton's 3rd law of motion) of for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction - Which. . . is one of the constants of the laws of the universe. - So - is Buddhism the god of natural law ? :D ?

I don't think this is the Buddhist understanding of karma.

I don't think this is the Buddhist understanding of karma.

That's correct. Karma in this case, stretches to multiple life times. The reason for one's birth is the result of past Karma. So, just because you did a good deed in your lunch break, it won't really change your karmic path in this life time.

There is more to be seen from how they interact in an ordinary way than in how much wisdom they spout, or how vivid their visions are, or how their energies flow in their central channel. In fact if a person is talking about any of the latter, thats just their ego trip. Real wisdom is simple and transparent, the ability to lend an unjudging ear to someone in need, the willingness to help, basic kindness. The manifestation of dharma is often not recognisable as such because it is unadorned and not flowery or showy.

Most peoples practice is, or feeds, their ego trip. Then one day they "get it" and the real journey begins. Theres nothing wrong with an ego trip, we have no other choice but to start there and slowly deconstruct. But it can only take us so far, then we have to get sincere and honest wih ourselves and those we deal with. The ego will never do that. It will always exaggerate our accomplishments and tell everyone how awesome we are. It knows deep down that it is artifice and so because it does it always feels small, so it always postures and grandstands.

Usually awakened people are kind, but there are stories upon stories of those who are just rude. Especially to prospective students. Possibly to everyone. So maybe you cant tell easily.

• Like 4

There is more to be seen from how they interact in an ordinary way than in how much wisdom they spout, or how vivid their visions are, or how their energies flow in their central channel. In fact if a person is talking about any of the latter, thats just their ego trip. Real wisdom is simple and transparent, the ability to lend an unjudging ear to someone in need, the willingness to help, basic kindness. The manifestation of dharma is often not recognisable as such because it is unadorned and not flowery or showy. Most peoples practice is, or feeds, their ego trip. Then one day they "get it" and the real journey begins. Theres nothing wrong with an ego trip, we have no other choice but to start there and slowly deconstruct. But it can only take us so far, then we have to get sincere and honest wih ourselves and those we deal with. The ego will never do that. It will always exaggerate our accomplishments and tell everyone how awesome we are. It knows deep down that it is artifice and so because it does it always feels small, so it always postures and grandstands. Usually awakened people are kind, but there are stories upon stories of those who are just rude. Especially to prospective students. Possibly to everyone. So maybe you cant tell easily.

Excellent observation!

• Like 1