The Tai Chi master was talking about water, the nature of which is expounded in Chapter Eight: 上善若水.

I have never understood the connection between the Tao Te Ching and Tai Chi which is martial art, the cultivation of violence to deal with violence. How is it possible for the way of wisdom to inspire the way of fools?

Tai Chi, in physical combat, involves striking other people's bodies - with your head, fists, edge of your hands, tip of your fingers, elbows, knees, and feet - like water. You would use every part of your body - except your brain - to deal with violence.

Edited by chenping

One point is missing here. How to use the Chi energy..... I think Master Chia once said that practicing Tai Chi without gathering and circulating the Chi energy is like doing regular exercise. I think only in the beginning the monk only mentioned about the yi consciousness but the rest of the clip seems to focus on the metaphor of tai chi and water.

• Like 1

The Tai Chi master was talking about water, the nature of which is expounded in Chapter Eight: 上善若水.

I have never understood the connection between the Tao Te Ching and Tai Chi which is martial art, the cultivation of violence to deal with violence. How is it possible for the way of wisdom to inspire the way of fools?

Tai Chi, in physical combat, involves striking other people's bodies - with your head, fists, edge of your hands, tip of your fingers, elbows, knees, and feet - like water. You would use every part of your body - except your brain - to deal with violence.

Same principle, different application.

I don't know that you can move your body without any input from your brain. A headless chicken, maybe? But it's only for a few minutes at most.

• Like 1

I don't know that you can move your body without any input from your brain. A headless chicken, maybe? But it's only for a few minutes at most.

Bruce Lee said: "Be like water. Don't think! Feel."

Get it?

• Like 1

The connection is the Tao, because it is all-encompansing.

Ying and yang forces and their interactions are Tao. A violent volcanic eruption shatters rocks and quakes the earth, the lava scorches all in it's path and destroys life in it's wake, but that is the nature of volcanic eruptions, and from their violence; islands that house life have sprung.

A succesful martial artists cultivates mind and body, develops balance, concentration and inner harmony, he absorbs knowledge and embraces the shaping of body and mind. He uses Ying to produce yang, the outer expression of controlled violence with purpose.

• Like 1

So much you need to learn. Are you studying with a real teacher?

I am the real teacher. Would you like to spar with me to see whose martial art reigns supreme?

• Like 2

Well, a lot of Taijiquan involves de-escalating violence by defusing, neutralizing or countering it with less violent maneuvers.

But of course, at its core, you are correct - that is just a matter of degrees. It is still fundamentally martial in its approach, which still denotes someone still at war (not peace) with themself...

• Like 1

Well, a lot of Taijiquan involves de-escalating violence by defusing, neutralizing or countering it with less violent maneuvers.

In theory or intent, yes; but that works only in the practice hall where no one is suppose to intentionally hurt anybody. This is like gun-fighting using blanks for show.

But of course, at its core, you are correct - that is just a matter of degrees. It is still fundamentally martial in its approach, which still denotes someone still at war (not peace) with themself...

You are damn right I am correct. Martial art is the art of killing, maiming and specifically hurting people. A gun is a people- killing weapon that you see on a cop who guards the peace in your neck of the woods. We are so dumb that we can't see the truth anymore can a monk with blue eyes with no pupils.

Tai Chi Chuan goes beyond fights and punches. Can you see now?

I can see that you are an impressionable kung fu movie fan.

You can also cause a lot of damage to others people while meditating. If you are constantly sending waves of hate and are envious of others' good fortune, does it make you better than any martial artist that trains for purely "egotistic" motives?

Why are you concerned about such things? What is your typical day like? Mine is too short for meditation and sending waves of hate.

chenping,

"Mine is too short for meditation"

then you will never become a high level martial artist.

when you challenged gerard to spar i laughed so hard i coulda fell out from my chair.

edit> gerard is a man of peace and compassion and mercy, and skilz.

think twice chenping

Edited by zerostao

edit> gerard is a man of peace and compassion and mercy, and skilz.

think twice chenping

In martial art, one doesn't think. One intuits.

Why did you laugh? Did I intuit correctly about Gerard? He can't launch himself into a flying side-kick? You guys know each other? Not me, I am fighting blind here like a monk with blue eyes without pupils.

chenping

"Why did you laugh?"

for clarification, i didnt laugh at you or at anyone. i must have laughed at the absurdity of it all.

and how absurdity surrounds us all.

here, gerard was sharing knowledge and wisdom with you and instead of taking advantage of that,

you instead speak arrogantly and challenge him to spar. it just seemed absurd to me.

" I am fighting blind here"

why are you even fighting? there is no reason, none, zilch, nope.

relax chenping, chill and hang out with us bums, slowly chew on what is said here and find understanding and find yourself.

that would be time well spent.

launching a flying side-kick against a baguazhang player will end the whole thing right then and there, just saying.

• Like 1

zerostao

Why is it absurd or arrogant to challenge Gerard to spar? True martial artists love to spar. It's in their nature to test the effectiveness of their skills and learn from each other. Fake martial artists love to talk.

As for fighting, it's just a figure of speech. This is a discussion forum, not a physical hexagonal cage. I am hanging out with you bums. I wouldn't do it if I didn't like it.

ah ah , figure or speech. sometimes i bring these things up for further clarification. no worries.

and i am not gonna get in between any bums who choose to spar, fight, make love, what ever,

glad you are hanging out chenping and if i didnt find you interesting i never woulda spoken to you.

"You are damn right I am correct" and 'I am the real teacher' coulda been viewed as arrogant.

i am curious what do you teach?

"I am the real teacher" in response to the question about one's teacher must be the application of the high level taiji skill of hiding one's root. :D

• Like 1

"I am the real teacher" in response to the question about one's teacher must be the application of the high level taiji skill of hiding one's root. :D

Much like this response seems to be moving forward, though is actually drawing out the opponents folly to be seized upon :huh::ph34r::blink: ..

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness
  • Like 1

I am concerned about you, now. :)

Please read this:

http://richardleirer.org/?page_id=297

"Tai Chi as a path towards cultivation of the original self."

That wraps up the entire article.

Chidragon is the only one who can take apart Chinese characters without defiling them.

You want to study Chinese, you go to China. If you want to shoot ducks, you go to Wisconsin. For gambling, you go to Las Vegas. Taos, New Mexico, is Hollywood, a hippie paradise with gentle people there.

Edited by chenping

"You are damn right I am correct" and 'I am the real teacher' coulda been viewed as arrogant.

Only inferior and defensive people would view that as arrogant. Why wouldn't that make you sit up and listen? Do you think you know everything yourself?

i am curious what do you teach?

I teach the art of scavenging. I am attracted to garbage and can spot nuggets of inanity no matter how they are dressed up..