ChiForce

Skeleton meditation....focus point...

I have been practicing the skeleton meditation for few months. My question is that after you have completely visualized yourself to become nothing but a white glowing skeleton, where would one focus their point of focus to within the microcosmic orbit? I have tried to refocus to my dan tien while becoming aware of myself as an entire skeleton, from head to toes.

Yes, the first night I tried the skeleton meditation I was able to generate enough chi to circulate....the chi was hot, very unusual for me. I only felt the hot chi when I experienced the kundalini energy rising in my late teens. The next night my chi wasn't hot. Now, it is just warm and accompanying with a tingling sensation all over my body and bones, and seeing light with my third eye.

Edited by ChiForce

Can you pick a lumbar vertebrae and stay focused on that?

Funny you mention skeletons. There was a point in time that when my husband and I were making love we would both 'visualize' skeletons, unintentionally, laying on top of each other. This would usually bring giggles and ruin the session. This happened for a short period of time, then went away. We figured it was just a shamanic thing.

Maybe the two types of meditations are not in sync?

as I know the practice you hold the focus on the skeleton and it glows more brightly until completely disappeared.

I have been practicing the skeleton meditation for few months. My question is that after you have completely visualized yourself to become nothing but a white glowing skeleton, where would one focus their point of focus to within the microcosmic orbit? I have tried to refocus to my dan tien while becoming aware of myself as an entire skeleton, from head to toes.

Yes, the first night I tried the skeleton meditation I was able to generate enough chi to circulate....the chi was hot, very unusual for me. I only felt the hot chi when I experienced the kundalini energy rising in my late teens. The next night my chi wasn't hot. Now, it is just warm and accompanying with a tingling sensation all over my body and bones, and seeing light with my third eye.

Is your intention to condense your Chi into your bone marrow? If so, just collect and pull the chi into your marrow on inhale, and on exhale go out and collect more chi back into the structure.

ChiForce:

Cool that you've picked up the white skeleton meditation! It was the one that in my case led to a break through in qi development.

I don't know from what source you've learned it so I'll speak from my experience and from the sources that I've learnt it from (Master Nan, and also a Theravadin variety). Where did you learn it?

A couple of points: One should remember that this is a shamatha meditation. Thus, I strongly recommend that one gets some familiarity with the five hindrances and the five dhyana factors. Basically, build up stability, relaxation and clarity (pick up "The attention revolution" by Alan Wallace, since it explains this in an excellent way, or, listen to his podcasts to get the principles). At higher levels, you can hold the image of the skeleton for many hours, with unpresedented vividness, without your mind being perturbed or drawn to sloth. After you've offered your flesh and dissolved your skeleton, you have another phase, objectless awareness beyond mind and body, in which you can and are recommended to stay in (also in shamatha). This phase allows the body to integrate energies.

As to energies: Since one is cultivating the earth element and the channels throughout the body, just hold the visualization. The qi knows what to do. If you try to direct it, you will just shunt the energy into already open channels where you have lots of sensations but you will not develop. Let the qi be and link up areas of undeveloped channels, and to transform your bones. If the qi needs to, it will work with your MCO. Your focal point is the whole skeleton, but if you want to, there is a point close to your navel, between your 6th and 7th lumbar (if I remember correctly), where you can visualize a glowing point of white light. It will help ignite a chakra that's connected to the method.

Perhaps this is of some help. In any case, I wish you a lot of fun ChiForce!

Mandrake

• Like 2

If you are doing the white Skeleton meditation as taught by Bodri and Master Nan then nearly all of what is mentioned in this thread is incorrect, it has nothing or very little to do with concentrating on marrow, breathing, microcosmic orbit etc. After you have visualized the full skeleton bright white you imagine it turning into dust or blowing away on the wind then the whole point at this stage is just to relax into emptiness without focusing on anything, focusing at this stage is just a hindrance. If you are not doing the Bodri/Nan meditation then ignore what I say.

ChiForce:

Cool that you've picked up the white skeleton meditation! It was the one that in my case led to a break through in qi development.

I don't know from what source you've learned it so I'll speak from my experience and from the sources that I've learnt it from (Master Nan, and also a Theravadin variety). Where did you learn it?

A couple of points: One should remember that this is a shamatha meditation. Thus, I strongly recommend that one gets some familiarity with the five hindrances and the five dhyana factors. Basically, build up stability, relaxation and clarity (pick up "The attention revolution" by Alan Wallace, since it explains this in an excellent way, or, listen to his podcasts to get the principles). At higher levels, you can hold the image of the skeleton for many hours, with unpresedented vividness, without your mind being perturbed or drawn to sloth. After you've offered your flesh and dissolved your skeleton, you have another phase, objectless awareness beyond mind and body, in which you can and are recommended to stay in (also in shamatha). This phase allows the body to integrate energies.

As to energies: Since one is cultivating the earth element and the channels throughout the body, just hold the visualization. The qi knows what to do. If you try to direct it, you will just shunt the energy into already open channels where you have lots of sensations but you will not develop. Let the qi be and link up areas of undeveloped channels, and to transform your bones. If the qi needs to, it will work with your MCO. Your focal point is the whole skeleton, but if you want to, there is a point close to your navel, between your 6th and 7th lumbar (if I remember correctly), where you can visualize a glowing point of white light. It will help ignite a chakra that's connected to the method.

Perhaps this is of some help. In any case, I wish you a lot of fun ChiForce!

Mandrake

Thanks. I will look into them...

If you are doing the white Skeleton meditation as taught by Bodri and Master Nan then nearly all of what is mentioned in this thread is incorrect, it has nothing or very little to do with concentrating on marrow, breathing, microcosmic orbit etc. After you have visualized the full skeleton bright white you imagine it turning into dust or blowing away on the wind then the whole point at this stage is just to relax into emptiness without focusing on anything, focusing at this stage is just a hindrance. If you are not doing the Bodri/Nan meditation then ignore what I say.

I bought Bodri's $10 Ebook on White Skeleton Meditation. It is a short read and pretty simple. Yeah, I am still trying to visualize how the chi energy moves while meditating on my skeleton. It does clear my mind and help me to get to a state of samadhi and I would say my chi would begin to flow and move. One thing I am still having some problems is to remain focused on my skeleton and to make it glowing white. There is a brief moment I was actually seeing partially my skeleton. I will continue to work on it.

I bought Bodri's $10 Ebook on White Skeleton Meditation. It is a short read and pretty simple. Yeah, I am still trying to visualize how the chi energy moves while meditating on my skeleton. It does clear my mind and help me to get to a state of samadhi and I would say my chi would begin to flow and move. One thing I am still having some problems is to remain focused on my skeleton and to make it glowing white. There is a brief moment I was actually seeing partially my skeleton. I will continue to work on it.

I don't think you have to visualize the Chi moving , just feel the bones one by one starting at the left big toe and visualize them as bright white until you have the whole skeleton as bright white. If you are having trouble visualizing all the bones Bodri says to study a picture or model of a skeleton. Once you have done that let it all go like it has all turned to dust, if you are completely dissolved and turned to dust what is there to focus on or with?

• Like 1

"...but if you want to, there is a point close to your navel, between your 6th and 7th lumbar (if I remember correctly), where you can visualize a glowing point of white light"

I have tried and tried but for some reason this has never worked for me. Uh, I would double check that memory.

• Like 1

That book tells you all you need to know. Don't be bothered about visualizing chi, that's not part of the practice.

It is a short read and, as you say, simple, but difficult to master. My advice to you would be, if you really would like to make this your main practice, is to follow the instructions as per the book. Don't look for extras. Diligent, daily practice of this method, or any particular method really, the simpler the better, will eventually lead to mastery.

Good luck

• Like 2

Visualizing..... works only after a novice mage training with good success in

autogenic training. Its the hard way.

"between your 6th and 7th lumbar"

This was the part I thought he should check his memory on. This particular area I have never been able to access. HA HA

• Like 1

I would listen to Jetsun and Lifeforce,

If you want to get somewhere with the practice as transmitted by Master Nan, Bodri whatever then just follow the instructions Bodri provides. It is a 'simple' but DEEP practice, and you don't need to add, in fact it is a letting go and dissolving into emptiness practice, so adding bits kinda goes against a core part of it.

I will only add that there is 'visualising' and then there is 'visualising', one is a mental image that has no real relation to anything much, the other is a tactile image that will affect your nervous system and qi. Feeling is better than 'mental' representations. To 'see' the skeleton is to FEEL the skeleton.

And as Ya Mu points out, wait for Mandrake to double check his anatomy to jog his memory before trying to locate that focal point, either that or he has a helluva waist! :D

Best,

Edited by snowmonki

I would listen to Jetsun and Lifeforce,

If you want to get somewhere with the practice as transmitted by Master Nan, Bodri whatever then just follow the instructions Bodri provides. It is a 'simple' but DEEP practice, and you don't need to add, in fact it is a letting go and dissolving into emptiness practice, so adding bits kinda goes against a core part of it.

I will only add that there is 'visualising' and then there is 'visualising', one is a mental image that has no real relation to anything much, the other is a tactile image that will affect your nervous system and qi. Feeling is better than 'mental' representations. To 'see' the skeleton is to FEEL the skeleton.

And as Ya Mu points out, wait for Mandrake to double check his anatomy to jog his memory before trying to locate that focal point, either that or he has a helluva waist! :D

Best,

Yeah, it is called yi consciousness. :) Yeah, I was loosely using the term visualizing. I meant using the yi consciousness to direct the movement and flow of the chi energy.

This was the part I thought he should check his memory on. This particular area I have never been able to access. HA HA

It isn't polite to laugh. This is not a forum on osteology. I have never been able to access anything discussed at Tao Bum and I never laughed, not once.

The laughter was a private joke with Friend as he well knows basic anatomy. Sorry you feel you have to police laughter as laughter itself is a grand thing.

But we can leave these type of mistakes alone and let the "get info from the internet free" crowd to have at it if you think that best. Do you really?

It is usually referred to as "basic anatomy" not osteology as osteology includes advanced study. If someone chooses to read the post and attempt to "put their focus between the 6th & 7th lumbar vertebrae" just what are they doing? And if the post is not pointed out or corrected, more and more may choose to read and attempt this perhaps reasoning that he really meant one thing when he meant something else entirely. Do you really feel that basic knowledge of anatomy is not needed when people are referring to basic anatomy? I was attempting to politely get the poster to read and correct his own mistake versus saying something rude like "This is not a forum where one should post misinformation" which would be undeserved as I am sure it was a simple mistake.

• Like 1

hahahahaa :D

It is usually referred to as "basic anatomy" not osteology as osteology includes advanced study. If someone chooses to read the post and attempt to "put their focus between the 6th & 7th lumbar vertebrae" just what are they doing?

Yeah, he probably should've clarified that sentence a little better, but once you have visualized the rib cage and spinal column: In order to further help bring the energy into the sushumna, visualizing a white glowing orb in between the rib cage and in front of the particular area of T6/T7 vertebra helps.

The picture in his book "Twenty-Five Doors To Meditation," shows it in that area.

Edited by Simple_Jack

Hey Joe, you think the "6th and 7th lumbar bone" is funny? How about the third eye? Now, that is really far out.

The laughter was a private joke with Friend as he well knows basic anatomy. Sorry you feel you have to police laughter as laughter itself is a grand thing.

I was not trying to police anything. I was just having fun also.

I was tickled by your earnest attempt to get the anatomy right on a fantasy skeleton.

Seriously, does it matter how many bone segments there are in the skeleton?

The topic is meditation, not surgery.

Edited by chenping

having had mine cut into and subsequently studying the hell out of 'em, penchant for esoteric detail added...name it and cultivate it and you gain familiarity, so I believe its entirely applicable.

• Like 1

having had mine cut into and subsequently studying the hell out of 'em, penchant for esoteric detail added...name it and cultivate it and you gain familiarity, so I believe its entirely applicable.