C T

Paying Homage to Guru Rinpoche

Firstly, a few words of advice from Phakchok Rinpoche (grandson of Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche) --

"Without cutting or reducing ego clinging, no matter how much you want to practice the Dharma or live a positive life, it is not going to work.

As usual, my advice is dont believe me but see it for your own self. So, usually i say, 'seeing' is the first step, 'recognizing' is the second step, 'admitting' is the third step, 'changing' is the fourth step and 'measuring change' is the fifth step.

Without cutting the root of ego, meditation is just another creation of mind. Understanding is just labeling. Thinking that you understood is just subtle pride. When you really cut the root of ego, you dont differentiate between yourself and others, and then you will understand selflessness. It is then when the realization of emptiness and compassion is going to be inseparable.

So it is very important to reduce the ego. My message today may sound complicating to some, helpful to a handful, and completely gibberish to many! But from my part, it is, has been and always will be a joyful pleasure to connect with each and everyone of you and be a constant reminder of impermanence with each passing Guru Rinpoche Day one year after another."

http://www.buddhaofcompassion.org/Vaj.mp3

• Like 2

I have to say I'm ignorant.

Do you think that Phakchok Rinpoche cut the root of his ego already? Do you think if I ask Phakchok Rinpoche for a thousand dollars, he'd cut me a cheque?

He said "When you really cut the root of ego, you dont differentiate between yourself and others".

If he did, then it made no difference if he gave the money to me or keep to himself.

I don't think he ever worked a single day in his life. Where did he get his money from? How can he support himself?

• Like 1

Do you think that Phakchok Rinpoche cut the root of his ego already? Do you think if I ask Phakchok Rinpoche for a thousand dollars, he'd cut me a cheque?

He said "When you really cut the root of ego, you dont differentiate between yourself and others".

If he did, then it made no difference if he gave the money to me or keep to himself.

I don't think he ever worked a single day in his life. Where did he get his money from? How can he support himself?

Maybe someone gave him a thousand dollars.

Still hiding behind the robes and devotees just give them whatever they want.

Still hiding behind the robes and devotees just give them whatever they want.

Haha, you're really that jaded after all these years spent in TB are you?

Well a big congratulations to hydrogen and ralis for dumping in the punch bowl - well done!

• Like 1

Haha, you're really that jaded after all these years spent in TB are you?

I was hanging around the whole scene back in the 80's and quickly grew tired of it. Prostrations, donations, robes are nothing more than cultural trappings.

These guys call themselves Dharma Kings and for the most part act the part. I would compare that to the 'divine right of kings!'

I also feel sorry for this kid. He probably didn't ask for the position in the first place either.

Now he has to shoot out big words that he has no understanding, labeling or experiencing.

How do pastors, rabbis, Hindu priests etc. support themselves?

• Like 1

These guys call themselves Dharma Kings and for the most part act the part.

And?

Thats sort of the whole point behind the tantric traditions in general. Tantricism is related to medieval kingship in India. Read Ronald Davidson's "Indian Esoteric Buddhism". Moreover the concept of "chakravartin" is there in Hinayana too.

• Like 1

And?

Thats sort of the whole point behind the tantric traditions in general. Tantricism is related to medieval kingship in India. Read Ronald Davidson's "Indian Esoteric Buddhism". Moreover the concept of "chakravartin" is there in Hinayana too.

I like the way you gave thumbs up to your own post. :lol: I did note the 'divine right of kings' in my post. BTW, the Medieval era is long gone and so should any adherence to the customs of.

Edited by ralis

Just to say that I really enjoyed the OP quote and the recorded chanting ... I found it moving ... but now yet again we have a thread about a few people's obsessions with ... well whatever they are obsessed about.

And?

I must admit I didn't finish that book ... but I will go back to it. It is excellent and makes the point that the images of tantra were developed in a feudal society and reflect that. However for me the point is this ... effective teachings are those that work ... that have an effect ... the reason Buddhism adapted in that way was because it was effective. Those forms of practice still work ... or this is my experience anyway from having received Buddhist initiations and practiced sadhanas ... probably one day the images may get adapted if that proves to be effective too.

• Like 2

I am grateful to everyone for taking the time to share your true feelings here. It is very much appreciated. The important thing is to be true to your feelings, not so much the contents. Contents will change according to time and circumstance, but truth should always remain.

So even the jaded and the doubters are welcome to have their say. We cannot and should not expect anything less than a sincere expression of feelings from the heart. After all, Guru Rinpoche did encourage each of his disciples to remain as open as the sky, which is forever stainless, very much like the essence of each one of our minds.

Lets not confuse the clouds with the space which can hold them unconditionally.

And for those who found this inspiring, thank you for expressing your appreciation. I will remember always... :)

• Like 2

I am grateful to everyone for taking the time to share your true feelings here. It is very much appreciated. The important thing is to be true to your feelings, not so much the contents. Contents will change according to time and circumstance, but truth should always remain.

So even the jaded and the doubters are welcome to have their say. We cannot and should not expect anything less than a sincere expression of feelings from the heart. After all, Guru Rinpoche did encourage each of his disciples to remain as open as the sky, which is forever stainless, very much like the essence of each one of our minds.

Lets not confuse the clouds with the space which can hold them unconditionally.

And for those who found this inspiring, thank you for expressing your appreciation. I will remember always... :)

Thank you very much.

Without looking at mirror, I can never find the dirt on my face. Without shooting off my mouth first, I can never hear my own kind reminder.

Thanks for allow time for me to grow and remind me to give myself more time too.