associated with decreased glucocorticoid receptor expression in the

HC and the frontal cortex, decreased glucocorticoid negative feedback

(Ladd et al., 2000), and increased CRH mRNA expression in the PVN,

the central nucleus of the AG, the BNST and the locus coeruleus

(Plotsky et al., 2005). Corticosterone and ACTH stress response were

increased after maternal separation (Plotsky and Meaney,1993). Thus,

whereas a positive early life experience may trigger stress resistance

and protect from later negative influence, an adverse early life

environment may provoke stress vulnerability throughout lifetime.

http://braincoretherapy.com/RESEARCH/SCIENTIFICRESEARCH-SOUTAR/Dedovic.pdf

"The brain builds its neural networks based on habit and experience"

-Austin, Zen and the Brain

So I told my sister about the cortisol causing neuron damage.

She said she thought letting the baby cry for an hour would not damage the neurons.

She kept trying to get me to promise to just put the baby in the crib without having her lie next to me on the bed to fall asleep without crying.

She said normally the baby cries just a couple minutes or next to nothing. I said that's what the baby did with me (even though I was comforting her by having her lie next to me on the bed).

Like I went to close the door to cut off the t.v. noise and when she saw me do then she started crying so I had to hold her and then put her back on the bed.

Another time I tried to put her in the crib and she just started bawling and I was not going to leave her bawling in her crib.

I said the baby had already cried for a half hour that afternoon when my sister had put her down for a nap and that was enough crying for me.

Anyway so my sister goes:

Well I'm the mother.

I said well from the research I've read that's

maternal deprivation

My sister actually leaves the room when the baby cries at night and she leaves the baby alone in the room and then my sister goes sleeps in another room while the baby is bawling, alone, to fend for herself.

I am shocked my sister would not just comfort the baby until the baby falls asleep - usually this just takes a couple minutes -- a half hour at most.

My sister said "I just have to get through this."

I asked her what her goal is -- to have the baby sleep alone in the room or for the baby to sleep through the night? She said basically both.

So instead of comforting the baby she lets the baby bawl for an hour.

Anyway so then my sister just started yelling at me and told me to leave the room.

I said that she was damaged also. haha.

So I said I was just sharing information and I didn't do anything and she can't make me leave.

Then I went into full lotus position.

haha.

I'm not going to be threatened or forced to leave a baby bawling in her crib.

It's like the Nazis -- I'm not just going to follow orders.

I didn't do anything wrong.

Edited by pythagoreanfulllotus
  • Like 1

Lol I find it hilarious how women are getting mad at a man comforting a baby.

It reminds me of that one guy you showed where on his podcast he said, in this world, men are men, and the women are men too.

So I told my mom and her response was to threaten me just like my sister threatened me.

My mom said:

You're about to get fired.

I said -- I'm not going to leave a baby bawling in her crib.

I said my sister instead of comforting the baby leaves the room for the baby to bawl byitself.

My mom said - you just have to listen to the mother.

I said it's disgusting.

I'm gonna go cut firewood now but I refuse to be threatened and afraid because I committed the sin of comforting a baby.

haha.

I repeat - I did not do anything wrong!

Happy Equinox folks.

If people don't think this is related to Equinox energy that's your call.

I think it is personally.

It's my thread - but do whatever you want with it -- put those Mod powers to use. haha.

Seriously this is why people have unions.

Minnesota is just now working to unionize childcare centers.

My mom watches Rachel Maddow every night -- and my mom reads the Nation magazine and Mother Jones.

Yet my mom instead of discussing the issue just threatens to fire me.

So much for democracy! haha.

Politics is a total joke.

Our culture is fascist -- thoroughly fascist - starting with the "conditioning" of babies.

Go ahead -- fire me, kick me out, have me be a dirty hippy beggar -- all for what!

Speaking out against fascism.

Comforting the baby is where I draw the line. haha.

O.K. enough full lotus. Now I go cut fire wood -- it's gonna be cold tonight and I already turned down the thermostat to save propane costs.

"The brain builds its neural networks based on habit and experience"

-Austin, Zen and the Brain

I agree. Would be nice if the relationship between them were a bit better articulated.

Baby slept till 5:30 a.m. -- amazingly.

I just found this comment --

As a Human Development and Family studies major in college we were taught by our professors that it is not healthy to let a baby cry. You are NOT spoiling your child if you put them up everytime. In Erikson's stages of development infants go through a stage called trust vs. mistrust if a child is not being cared for when they cry it causes the child to have a mistrust towards the caregiver. Also, if the parents expose the child to warmth, regularity, and dependable affection, the infant's view of the world will be one of trust. Should the parents fail to provide a secure environment and to meet the child's basic needs, a sense of mistrust will result. If picking my child up everytime they cry is considered "spoiling" them then so be it. I would rather have a developmental healthy child then one who can not trust the people and environment around him.
posted 7/21/2009 by a BabyCenter Member

http://www.babycenter.com/408_when-can-i-put-my-baby-down-without-worrying-about-him-cryin_1368498.bc?startIndex=90&questionId=1368498

A few more days of Equinox magnetic bliss fun.

Babies are babies only once and for such a very, very short time. My older 2 grew in the blink of an eye (10 ys & 8 ys). We do not regret rocking them to sleep, not getting things done, holding them a large portion of the time, etc. We now have a 9 mo. old that we have done the same with. He does not need/want to be held all the time now. He is crawling and walking around furniture - much, much too busy to want mommy to hold him all the time. Ignore the dust, do the laundry when you can and enjoy this very, very short time that they need/want YOU! This time will pass too fast! I never had a desire to make my children "cry it out". It was much more fun to rock them and snuggle them when they went to sleep (still is with the baby). They will learn to go to sleep on their own soon enough and you will get some free time back. When one becomes a mom, you have to surrender most of your "me" time and be a mom. Just my .02 on this topic - take it or leave it <shrug>.
Now there's a mommy! haha.

Babywise is NOT a wise guide to parenting... "Spoiling" a child was found to be ineffective and was used in generations past. Many people have said that babies brains aren't developed enough to manipulate and that is the truth! Just look at all the shootings happening here in the U.S. versus other countries who use attachment parenting. Oh by the way, the theory also claims that the way a baby is treated now shapes EVERYTHING in the relationship later....I'm sorry but I don't want to risk having an awful relationship bc I didn't want to "spoil" my child or bc I was too lazy to care for him/her and let him/her cry it out. But that's just me...not judging...Good luck to all!

Holy bonkers....

http://theawakenedparent.org/2011/08/24/babies-need-to-cry-to-exercise-their-lungs-really/

crying is healthy to exercise the lungs?

It’s prolonged, uncomforted distress that is bad for babies. Being left to do this over and over again can actually cause changes in their brains that can cause them to overreact to situations for the rest of their lives. Dr Margot Sunderland calls it an over-sensitive stress-response system in her book: What Every Parent Needs to Know.

nice.

If we had a friend who was crying, would we walk away?

http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-true-that-crying-strengthens-a-babys-lungs_10323703.bc

In fact, studies show that babies whose cries are responded to cry 70 percent less than those who are ignored.

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fussy-baby/science-says-excessive-crying-could-be-harmful

Science Says: Excessive Crying Could Be Harmful

finally specific studies referenced.

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/sleep-problems/faqs-about-sleep-problems/baby-wakes-often

Crying is communication. Well-meaning friends and relatives may advise you to let your baby "cry it out." Don't! Keep looking for possible causes for your child's nightwaking. Eventually, you'll find the right arrangement, diet, sleeping position, and environment that will get everyone the best night's sleep.

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fussy-baby/7-things-parents-should-know-about-babys-cries

http://books.google.com/books?id=52KL4KsfcfEC&pg=PA42&lpg=PA42&dq=over-sensitive+stress-response+system&source=bl&ots=OI2hkeOg1X&sig=fJ1QfIrb7VD1WXxrUO34Kn7z3jA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=nCxKUbrLL8XP2QXzw4CICA&ved=0CFQQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=over-sensitive%20stress-response%20system&f=false

I have had that sort of conversation with my mother, she knows I have read a lot of psychology so asked what I thought about leaving a baby to cry out like she did with me and my brothers, I was surprised by the question so just said that I have no memory of it so don't know how it affected me but that there are all sorts of incorrect practices passed on from generation to generation. For example only about 30 years ago they would immediately seperate the baby from the mother after birth, which common sense says is a barbaric practice but was done in all hospitals until some studies proved how harmful it is.

I am not a father but personally I think it is wrong to let babies cry out, science has shown that babies can't regulate their own nervous systems in the early stages so one of the first things you are teaching them is helplessness if you do that, there been many studies done on Romanian orphans which show their brains don't grow properly and they can't regulate their ANS properly if they don't get enough touch and attention because they never learn to regulate their own stress properly, as the mother introduces the stress reducing rhythms through her care and heartbeat so letting the baby cry out you teach it that there is no solution or comfort ever coming to its suffering.

I have had that sort of conversation with my mother, she knows I have read a lot of psychology so asked what I thought about leaving a baby to cry out like she did with me and my brothers, I was surprised by the question so just said that I have no memory of it so don't know how it affected me but that there are all sorts of incorrect practices passed on from generation to generation. For example only about 30 years ago they would immediately seperate the baby from the mother after birth, which common sense says is a barbaric practice but was done in all hospitals until some studies proved how harmful it is.

I am not a father but personally I think it is wrong to let babies cry out, science has shown that babies can't regulate their own nervous systems in the early stages so one of the first things you are teaching them is helplessness if you do that, there been many studies done on Romanian orphans which show their brains don't grow properly and they can't regulate their ANS properly if they don't get enough touch and attention because they never learn to regulate their own stress properly, as the mother introduces the stress reducing rhythms through her care and heartbeat so letting the baby cry out you teach it that there is no solution or comfort ever coming to its suffering.

Yes it is ironic that exactly the opposite thinking still holds -- that if the baby is "clingy" that means it is being spoiled! The baby is actually trying to heal from the night of torture and leaving a baby to cry till it is exhausted then makes the baby more "clingy" during the day. But instead people think the "clingy" baby is being spoiled and the baby is "bossing" around the adult, etc.

It's amazing that if people are torturing their babies -- females - mothers and grandmothers -- just think - if we can not as a culture understand how to treat our own babies then obviously we are going to have serious problems as adults -- violence and warfare and poverty and vast destruction, etc.

I think this is a deep problem of lack of tribal culture because in the original human culture the younger females help raise the baby - so there is always a nine year old girl or so who will help carry the baby and so the baby is always being held and played with.

But it takes a real understanding of love -- the breast feeding creates strong oxytocin love energy in the baby and the baby actually heals the adults!

Modern medicine does not allow natural child birth which then decreases the oxytocin levels of the mother and also there is less breast feeding so the baby is cut off from the breast at around six months whereas in the original human culture the baby is breast fed for up to two years.

So modern people think this creates insecure dependent clingy spoiled humans when science has now proven the opposite is true -- people are emotional secure and more willing to take risks because they know they live in a trusting supportive culture that will give them the extra strength needed.

This is the true power of love that is lacking in modern culture -- it is the vagus nerve oxytocin love. For the past six months -- when I would just walk in the room the baby would get the biggest smile on her face and my nine year old niece kept asking -- why does the baby like me so much? Also the nine year old asked - why is the baby smiling so much? I said that is from breast feeding! haha.

So from meditation I can feel my left side vagus nerve pulsate to my heart and so it creates and increases the love oxytocin energy and then when the baby sees me she demands to be held.

So the day before yesterday even though my sister was still mad at me and she wanted to keep the baby from me but then she realized that the baby needs my love energy to recover from these "crying out" sessions.

Almost every day I have held the baby nonstop for at least an hour - the baby would not let me put her down! haha.

So then last night my sister did not yell at me or badger me after I had the baby go to sleep without crying.

My sister did not interrogate me for details to find out if I had secretly "comforted" the baby -- wrongly "conditioning" the baby to need "comfort." haha.

Seriously -- this technique backfires - the mom tries to not give the baby comfort and then the baby cries more and so the mom then blames the baby for her lack of sleep and so then is in a power struggle with the baby and so refuses to give the baby any comfort and so the baby finally falls asleep exhausted.

So my sister tried to justify this by telling me that our mom let my sister cry constantly while my mom held a tupperware party. My sister said the guests were complaining to my mom about leaving the baby crying but my mom just would not comfort her. My sister told me this like a badge of honor but I said that just because mom did that does not make it right.

That's why I said my sister was damaged after she yelled at me -- because I really do think my sister suffered from "over sensitive stress response" as it is now called.

I have called it the thug mentality -- basically the brain breaks down when it is faced with too much information and instead there is an anger response.

I think this is way more common than people realize. This limits the ability for the mind to go into deep concentration which creates exceptional human functions as it was termed in Chinese culture - basically highly skilled people are the result of a real loving culture that is patient and serene and supportive so that a person can really focus their mind without someone threatening them.

So anyway most people then turn out to be "sheeple" from this shell-shock reaction.

Oh well -- like I said - I have done effective damage control.

Also our nine year old makes the baby laugh all the time which is awesome.

The love of the universe is very forgiving.

In recent research conducted by Hubbs-Tait, Page, Huey, Starost, Culp, Culp, and

Harper (2005), maternal hostility is an essential component of the negative affect that

reduces “tolerance for the demands of parenting” (page 16).

Yep:

maternal hostility

http://dc.library.okstate.edu/utils/getfile/collection/theses/id/3697/filename/3698.pdf

Basically what happened was a breakdown with my sister not able to get the baby to stop crying and my sister freaking out and so then when I appeared the baby immediately wanted me to hold her and she immediately stopped crying. That was maybe a month ago.

So after that the baby relied on me to hold her everyday for an hour nonstop and my sister appreciated the help.

Now my sister is trying to not need to rely on me to comfort the baby so when the baby sees me and wants me to hold her my sister is keeping the baby from being able to crawl to me or get to me. haha.

That's fine with me as long as my sister replaces it with increasing her level of comforting the baby which she is trying to do.

So it's all good -- she just didn't like me calling her on the abusive behavior. But I had to do it.

If there is a breakdown situation again then I'll be able to heal it again but mom's really do need help with comforting babies - mom's should not have to do it all by themselves.

While it is evident that genetic makeup and life experiences influence behavior, it has been demonstrated that experiences during infancy have the strongest and most persistent effect on adult hormone regulation, stress responses, and behavior.5 Research has demonstrated that high levels of early physical contact and maternal responsiveness can even mitigate genetic predisposition for more extreme stress reactions.6

http://www.naturalchild.org/guest/linda_folden_palmer2.html

I once heard an older pediatrician say to a mother, strongly disapproving of the way her toddler clung to her and demanded that she hold him while his blood was drawn, "It all starts the first day you pick him up when he cries."

My only answer to this is, "Yes, it does."

yeah "clinging" is not bad -- it is the need of the baby to recover from stress -- and if the baby is comforted before the stress is bad then the baby is less clinging -- but clinging itself is the bonding between the baby and the adult.

Dr. Kalin is removing baby monkeys from their mothers at birth to create highly anxious and fearful research subjects. Deprived of their mothers' protection and comfort, each infant will be exposed to multiple frightening experiences, including a live kingsnake. Then, when the infants are about one year old, Kalin will kill them and dissect their brain. Kalin says that he hopes to see differences between the brains of the traumatized monkeys and the dissected brains of the normal baby monkeys not taken from their mothers at birth.

http://www.uwnotinourname.org/maternal-deprivation-at-uw-madison-today.html

However, sustained adrenocortical secretion caused by chronic adversity can lead to severe impairment of brain regions, such as the hippocampus (911). Furthermore, several studies have shown that human HPA axis hyperactivity, which occurs in the early stages of psychiatric disorders, such as posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), may be blunted over time (12, 11). In this vein, the initial phase of hypercortisolism is followed by a latter phase of hypocortisolism. This switch in the pattern of cortisol release has been reported in human juveniles and adolescents that have experienced early adversity (13, 9, 12). Based on these endocrinological studies, an increased emphasis on the regulation of glucocorticoid release in animal models has been demonstrated to aid in determining the etiology of psychiatric disorders triggered by early adversity exposure.

http://www.pnas.org/content/108/34/14312.full

So eventually the baby shuts down and then has lower cortisol reactions - basically a repressed thug - a psycho.

Cry It Out: The Method That Kills Baby Brain Cells

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/denene-millner/cry-it-out_b_1163864.html

Bowlby and colleagues initiated a series of studies where children between the ages of one and two who had good relationships with their mothers were separated from them and left to cry it out. Results showed a predictable sequence of behaviours: The first phase, labeled “protest”, consists of loud crying and extreme restlessness. The second phase, labeled “despair”, consists of monotonous crying, inactivity, and steady withdrawal. The third phase, labeled “detachment”, consists of a renewed interest in surroundings, albeit a remote, distant kind of interest. Thus, it appears that while leaving babies to cry it out can lead to the eventual dissipation of those cries, it also appears that this occurs due to the gradual development of apathy in the child. The child stops crying because she learns that she can no longer hope for the caregiver to provide comfort, not because her distress has been alleviated.

Yep:

!Kung caregivers respond within ten seconds over 90% of the time during the baby’s first three months, and over 80% of the time at one year.

In this clinic, after mothers and babies went through their normal bedtime routine the babies were left in a room to, well, cry themselves to sleep, and the mothers were not allow to go back in (nurses went in to check on the babies but they didn’t offer comfort). Middlesmiss (who does not espouse controlled crying sleep training methods, by the way) and her team measured the babies’ levels of cortisol on the first and third nights of treatment. On the first nights, when the babies were wailing away, they had elevated levels of cortisol (and so did the mothers). On the third night, most of the babies were going to sleep with little or no crying. But their cortisol levels were still elevated.

http://uncommonjohn.wordpress.com/2013/02/18/part-2-real-self-soothing-its-not-what-sleep-experts-say-it-is/

Maybe I'm verging on the paranoid here but I wonder who it was who introduced such practices such as cry it out and seperating new borns from their mothers and how intentional it all is, because if you shell shock a baby they become a far more compliant and easily manipulated adult who needs a powerful authority to protect them from a dangerous world, so a traumatized populace is far more easy to control and mould, which is convenient for some people.

nope -- never saw it -- same reason Mary did die?

http://www.ezzo.info/Articles/chickering.htm

So the main book promoting Cry It OUt is from some creepy Christian fundamentalist cult.

haha, nope! originally a michael crichton book made into a movie a long time ago. I think I recall hearing about it being remade but if it was I didnt see it. but anyway, some highly adaptive highly mutative "germ" from space comes back on a ship and killed a town, all except for a powerdrunk who drank sterno, and a baby that was so collicky it wouldnt stop crying - so the story went that those two things caused changes in bodily chemistry that prevented the organism from taking root and killing them. (but I'll spare the ending and the rest of the story :D )

Edited by joeblast

haha, nope! originally a michael crichton book made into a movie a long time ago. I think I recall hearing about it being remade but if it was I didnt see it. but anyway, some highly adaptive highly mutative "germ" from space comes back on a ship and killed a town, all except for a powerdrunk who drank sterno, and a baby that was so collicky it wouldnt stop crying - so the story went that those two things caused changes in bodily chemistry that prevented the organism from taking root and killing them. (but I'll spare the ending and the rest of the story :D )

ah I read Michael Crichton's travel journal.....

He is messed up on some stuff like environmentalism....

Still Congo had me convinced -- I didn't know about the Faction genre -- I was in a cabin in the wilderness in Alaska and so killer gorillas seemed completely realistic to me -- scary also.

Yeah so my sister put the baby to sleep early last night and behold! I am woken up at 4 a.m. by the baby crying and I realize my sister just left the room, leaving the baby to bawl incessantly. So I go upstairs and I know if I go into the room to comfort the baby I will get in big trouble.

I sit in full lotus and I flex my pineal gland - I figure it's the least I can do - my jing energy is not strong enough to stop her bawling but I do give her some energy to not lose hope. I hear my sister leave the other room she went to sleep in and so I think -- great now she will comfort the baby and give her something to suckle - a bottle of milk. Nope - she does something that takes about 10 seconds to the baby -- maybe pats it back while it's bawling -- and she leaves the room to bawl again. I know this because I'm back downstairs and the baby is bawling.

So I go upstairs and I knock on her door - I'm fully awake I say. My sister storms out of the room instantly violent at me. I say -- the baby is fully awake also - she went to sleep early. My sister then claims the baby has been "creeping up in time" and that she didn't do anything about it before because the baby was sick. I said I never heard the baby wake up like this and my mom said it is because I was sleeping and she tells me to leave the house. I said -- you can't do that to me. My sister says she can't believe I am "interferring with her parenting." Meanwhile the baby is bawling and my mom and my sister are yelling at me standing outside the baby's door.

So -- oh and by the way - Easter is because it's the closest sunday to the Full Moon after the Equinox - so as per Taoist energy the qi is strongest the first full moon after the Equinox or Solstice.

Anyway so now I am printing out the articles that I have referenced in this link. I know it won't help -- my sister will refuse to read them - she said she didn't want me to "analyze" and I said - it's not "my" analysis - it is neuroscience.

But I am just documenting that babys do get tortured by their moms -- and that Western civilization is sick and based on evil.

Last night I watched the documentary of Oscar Romero on Netflix - I highly recommend it. It goes along well with baby torture.

Oh yeah I blogged this whole CrY it Out brain damage fiasco method of baby raising http://fulllotusqigong.blogspot.com/2013/03/debunking-cry-it-out-method-and-self.html That's a good summary of links from above and more!

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/24/health/child-sleep-debate-enayati

Should babies be allowed to 'cry it out'?
By Amanda Enayati, CNN Contributor
updated 1:29 PM EST, Thu January 24, 2013

Hands down, the biggest mom fight I ever witnessed involved two Upper West Side parents debating the pros and cons of the "cry-it-out" sleep method right before a Mommy and Me class.

The young instructor, who appeared ready to cry it out herself, had to break up the fight so she could start class.

well at least it's getting MSM coverage but this article glosses over the brain damage from the increased cortisol levels.

Drew,

Have you tried sending supportive energy to your sister. It's tough bringing up kids and I don't suppose anyone gets everything right. Maybe she just needs some love and not criticism ... this would help baby too. Just a thought.

maybe trying different approach -- the one your sister can understand EASILY as well intentioned (through her mental language ) would be helpful , bringing more harmony ?

anyway good luck to you all , especially the baby , comuniccation within family can be so difficult sometimes .

Babies Left to “Cry it Out” Feel the Stress, Even after the Crying Stops

by Cathy in Parenting

http://www.growingyourbaby.com/2012/05/24/babies-left-to-cry-it-out-feel-the-stress-even-after-the-crying-stops/

Yeah I was offering to comfort the baby but my sister thinks she needs to "train" the baby to sleep without crying -- even though the baby had already slept for eight hours!!

This is a power trip people -- I've been told that I let the baby "boss me around"?!? haha. Seriously it is total whack.

So I sent my mom and my sister a dozen links from doctors saying "crying it out" just causes stress and brain damage and it is not a way to "train" or "condition" a baby.

Of course neither my mom nor my sister responded. haha. My sister always says she doesn't want to hear or doesn't want to know about something. haha.

But like I said before - my sister "bragged" to me that our mom left her to cry throughout a whole tupperware party even though my mom's guests were complaining. That's when I told my sister I thought she was damaged. haha.

Please don't think I take this that seriously.

My main concern now is self preservation. I have no delusions about Western civilization.

This is a fascist culture hell bent on destroying the planet and the whole "cry it out" torture technique is just the foundation for it all.

So platitudes are not in order. Again I recommend people watch that Oscar Romero documentary on netflix if you got it - he was the Archbishop of El Salvador....it's a nice portrayal of the genocidal culture the U.S. is based on but we all too easily pretend does not exist.

So yeah if my mom and my sister don't want to hear about "my analysis" -- even though this is general science information - then I'm not going to force it on them.

I am just documenting that I live in a mini-torture center but it's no different than the torture center that I worked at for 10 years or the torture center of the house that I lived in for six years.

Western civilization is based on torture - because people don't understand real love.

I don't blame the females -- it is a male problem -- male addiction to ejaculation causes cortisol spikes and dopamine addiction.

This is a cortisol and dopamine addiction problem.

“Although the infants exhibited no behavioral cue that they were experiencing distress at the transition to sleep, they continued to experience high levels of physiological distress, as reflected in their cortisol scores,” said Wendy Middlemiss, a researcher at the University of North Texas.

http://www.growingyourbaby.com/2012/05/24/babies-left-to-cry-it-out-feel-the-stress-even-after-the-crying-stops/

I love these nice little baby articles trying to be all comforting - -and what are they about -- the widespread torture of infants.

“Overall, outward displays of internal stress were extinguished by sleep training,” said Middlemiss. “However, given the continued presence of distress, infants were not learning how to internally manage their experiences of stress and discomfort.”

So then you get these "working moms" who says -- "I hate this study" and it's not real science and I "hate" letting my baby cry it out but there's nothing else I can do.

Exactly! Moms should be moms and not working. I know that is antiquated but I am now experientially wise to this truth. I know that married couples more likely are both working now a days. But does that make it right? Nope.

Sorry but we live in a messed up world - that is all there is to it.

http://www.workingmother.com/blogs/%E2%80%9Ccrying-it-out-causes-brain-damage%E2%80%9D-%E2%80%93-parental-urban-legend-or-scientific-fact

So she says -- well chronic cortisol increases don't cause brain damage -- guess what I have linked the science showing this is not true. It's called "maternal deprivation" and it's considered the most significant source of cortisol-caused brain damage.

Now check out this -- a "follow up" on one of the cortisol cry it out studies.

By age 6, the researchers found no significant differences between the kids in either group in terms of emotional health, behavior or sleep problems. In fact, slightly more children in the control group had emotional or behavioral problems than in the sleep-trained group.

Researchers also found no differences in mothers’ levels of depression or anxiety, or in the strength of parent-child bonds between families who had used sleep-training and those who hadn’t.

Yeah but guess what -- all this shows are relative results.
So one group of kids is less or more better in terms of emotional health.
Tell me this - does Western civilization really know what "emotional health" is? I don't think so!
We live in a culture based on genocidal warfare - the opposite of emotional health.

In this corner! The Cry-It-Out Mama! She puts her child down, and she never goes back! Junior cries his little heart out while she sips martinis and laughs!

That's not an exaggeration! My mom was on martinis when she watched me walk down the street out of view when I was 2 years old. I don't remember this - she said I returned to the house with a scratch on my shoulder and said an animal had bit me. So my mom had me get 24 rabies vaccine shots in my stomach at 2 years old.

haha. Civilization is twisted.

http://pediatricinsider.wordpress.com/2012/09/17/cry-it-out-sleep-solutions-harms-versus-benefits/

You can bet this doctor sides with the Cry it Out sadists.

This claim that "cold turkey" is different than going in and "comforting the baby" at regular intervals is total B.S.

What is this "comforting"? It is going in and patting the baby on the back while she is bawling and going "shh ssh" nice little baby and then leaving the room.

Seriously -- it makes no difference - the baby hardly notices and just keeps bawling. Might as well be "cold turkey"

So basically the only option I have is when my sister decides to torture her baby again -- the baby wakes up crying and my sister instead of comforting the baby just leaves the room, ignoring her crying, and then goes into the room across the hall to sleep -- then my only option now is for me to leave my room and go sleep on the couch where hopefully I won't be able to hear the baby suffering so much.

I could maybe do the pineal gland "flexing" again -- I know this helped but my jing energy was too low to really make a difference.

The key here is that the pineal gland transmission activates the vagus nerve which is the relaxation response that counter acts the sympathetic stress cortisol response.

So yeah I will have to rely on the pineal gland "flexing" transmissions even though I said I was not going to do this anymore. haha.

So much for storing up energy but I wasn't really storing it up anyway since any energy I build up gets sucked up by the females doing the daytime.

On the third day of the program, however, results showed that infants' physiological and behavioral responses were dissociated. They no longer expressed behavioral distress during the sleep transition but their cortisol levels were elevated. Without the infants' distress cue, mothers' cortisol levels decreased. The dissociation between infants' behavioral and physiological responses resulted in asynchrony in mothers' and infants' cortisol levels.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21945361

So there you have it - the mother is psychologically "dissociated" from her baby based on visual cues.

Gee the baby isn't crying - I must have trained it to stop being stressed.

Duh.

wrong!

haha. Modern humans are basically fascists.

http://evolutionaryparenting.com/crying-it-out-an-addendum/

Yeah so some good discussion on the difference between "chronic stress" cortisol levels versus the CIO cortisol levels....

So much for the "working mom" attempt to dismiss the "chronic" cortisol levels. A culture of psychos:

I must add though that this debate has nothing to do with what I perceive to be the most important conclusion gleaned from this research—that infants who are not crying are still experiencing distress. Parents typically speak of CIO as being a few days of hell but then everything is fine. What the Middlemiss study showed us, though, is that that may not always be the case. Opponents of CIO techniques typically state that CIO teaches infants that someone will not always be there to help them when they are distressed, and here is research supporting that. There are infants who very clearly and quickly learned that their cries were not going to be responded to in any manner and so stopped crying after only two nights. And yet their distress levels remained very high. So they didn’t learn to “self-soothe”, they learned to keep quiet and preserve energy (as crying results in a large energy expenditure relative to other activities[11]). If no one is coming to help you, you simply waste energy by calling out. It doesn’t make you less scared, alone, or distressed.There will always be the question of how long this distress continues on for. No one expects this rise in cortisol to continue forever, but the fact that it happens at all tells me that we’re not doing our infants any service by utilizing CIO techniques. Why? Because it seems clear that the first lesson they learned is that they can’t trust that mom will be there to help. Whatever else comes next, that’s a pretty shitty lesson to learn so early in life. The fact that one of the “positive” side effects of CIO, as reported by the Sleep review[12] is fewer bouts of crying at all times suggests that these infants are internalizing and extending this message. Further support for this comes from the same daycare research[10] as infants who were insecurely attached demonstrated consistently high cortisol levels during both the time when mom was there and after she left, despite showing low levels of crying and fussing behaviour.

Babies left to cry 'feel stressed', research finds Babies who are left to cry by themselves could feel ‘stressed’ even after they appear to settle, new research has suggested.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/children_shealth/9286683/Babies-left-to-cry-feel-stressed-research-finds.html

O.K. I just emailed that to my sister and my mom - that is my final attempt for them to understand what they are doing. haha.

Trust me -- we live in a genocidal fascist culture.

My main concern is self-preservation and self-defense because if I try to communication information then I get threatened.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2012/06/19/3528487.htm

Listen to this audio interview by the Australian ABC correspondent with the researcher -- best coverage!

"There's nothing wrong with having them cry it out if you want to risk brain damage," Collins says.

They say that over time, cortisol increases the risk of severe attachment disorders … and worse.

"Hitler was a borderline personality. And so was Saddam Hussein," says Collins. "It didn't take a whole lot of Saddam Husseins and Hitlers to make our lives miserable."

Exactly my point! Western civilization is based on "severe attachment disorders" from this "cry it out" b.s.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=4263379&page=1#.UVX2KldhuSo

Psychiatrists said Tuesday there may be a physical basis linking stressed-out babies to personality disorders in adulthood.

http://www.atlc.org/Resources/commons_newspaper.php

Scientists have also found levels of the stress hormone cortisol to be much higher in crying babies. Commons suggested that constant stimulation by cortisol in infancy caused physical changes in the brain.

"It makes you more prone to the effects of stress, more prone to illness including mental illness and makes it harder to recover from illness," Commons said. "These are real changes and they don't go away." .... In the West, children are encouraged to be self-sufficient and face danger alone. "They don't have the emotional resources to seek comfort and consoling and the experience becomes unspeakable," Commons said.

Exactly. Unspeakable. Horror. Torture. Genocide.

Design: Prospective cohort study. A sample of 561 women was enrolled in the second trimester of pregnancy. Colic and prolonged crying were based on crying behaviour assessed at 6 and 13 weeks. Children’s intelligence, motor abilities, and behaviour were measured at 5 years (n = 327). Known risk factors for cognitive impairment were ascertained prenatally, after birth, at 6 and 13 weeks, at 6, 9, and 13 months, and at 5 years of age.

Results: Children with prolonged crying (but not those with colic only) had an adjusted mean IQ that was 9 points lower than the control group. Their performance and verbal IQ scores were 9.2 and 6.7 points lower than the control group, respectively. The prolonged crying group also had significantly poorer fine motor abilities compared with the control group. Colic had no effect on cognitive development.

http://adc.bmj.com/content/89/11/989

Yet most parents feels that ignoring the problem is the solution, but it's not. I have stated what some doctor's have to say about that, after extensive research being done on children crying."

"One study showed infants who experienced persistent crying episodes were 10 times more likely to have ADHD as a child, along with poor school performance and antisocial behavior. The researchers concluded these findings may be due to the lack of responsive attitude of the parents toward their babies." (Wolke, D, et al, Persistent Infant Crying and Hyperactivity Problems in Middle Childhood, Pediatrics, 2002; 109:1054-1060.)

"Dr. Brazy at Duke University and Ludington-Hoe and colleagues at Case Western University showed in 2 separate studies how prolonged crying in infants causes increased blood pressure in the brain, elevates stress hormones, obstructs blood from draining out of the brain, and decreases oxygenation to the brain. They concluded that caregivers should answer cries swiftly, consistently, and comprehensively." (J pediatrics 1988 Brazy, J E. Mar 112 (3): 457-61. Duke University. Ludington-Hoe SM, Case Western U, Neonatal Network 2002 Mar; 21(2): 29-36)

http://nadiamahama.blogspot.com/2009/10/can-you-stop-your-baby-crying-in-30.html

deep breathing is the answer - yep the vagus nerve!

oops she misquoted the Brazy study - I was wondering about that -- it's actually from here:

Neonatal Netw. 2002 Mar;21(2):29-36.
Infant crying: nature, physiologic consequences, and select interventions.
Source

Case Western Reserve University, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing in Cleveland, Ohio, USA. [email protected]

Abstract

This article describes the nature of infant crying, the physiologic events and changes associated with it, and appropriate nursing interventions for infant crying. A cry is a series of four movements that basically resembles a Valsalva maneuver. Documented immediate and long-term sequelae of crying include increased heart rate and blood pressure, reduced oxygen level, elevated cerebral blood pressure, initiation of the stress response, depleted energy reserves and oxygen, interrupted mother-infant interaction, brain injury, and cardiac dysfunction. Caregivers are encouraged to answer infant cries swiftly, consistently, and comprehensively. Kangaroo care is an efficient method for preventing, minimizing, and halting crying. Other interventions for crying include swaddled holding, a pacifier, sugar water, a sweet-tasting nonsucrose solution, heartbeat sounds, distraction by lullabies or mother's voice, rhythmic movement, and reduction of external stimuli.

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=4495696

Interactive attachment experiences of psychobiological attunemcnt, stressful misattunement, and stress-regulating repair and reattunement that maximize positive and minimize negative affect are imprinted into the orbitofrontal cortex — the hierarchical apex of the limbic system that is expanded in the early developing right hemisphere. During the critical period of maturation of this system, prolonged episodes of intense and unregulated interactive stress are manifest in disorganizing experiences of heightened negative affect and altered levels of stress hormones, and this chaotic biochemical alteration of the internal environment triggers an extensive apoptotic panellation of corticolimbic circuitries. In this manner less than optimal affect-regulating experiences with the primary caregiver are imprinted into the circuits of this frontolimbic system that is instrumental to attachment functions, thereby producing orbitofrontal organizations that neurobiologically express different patterns of insecure attachments. Such pathomorphogenetic outcomes result in structurally defective systems that, under stress, inefficiently regulate subcortical mechanisms that mediate the physiological processes that underlie emotion. The functional impairments of the cortical-subcortical circuitries of this prefrontal system are implicated in an enduring vulnerability to and the pathophysiology of various later forming psychiatric disorders.

Sign in to follow this