eye_of_the_storm

Theologian says China to have largest Christian population

Rome, Italy, Dec 1, 2012 / 04:03 pm (CNA).- During a recent book launch in Rome, a noted theologian said that China will be home to the majority of the world's Christians within the next two decades.

http://www.catholicn...ian-population/

What is this insanity?

Anyone with inside information?

I have noticed a few posts here and there about persecution / condemnation etc of Taoism / or energetic practices?

Some things aren't adding up...

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

Some things aren't adding up...

It's the Illuminaughty!

But seriously...this is just one guy talking about what might happen in the future.

Three decades ago, China's Cultural Revolution saw some of the most dramatic restrictions on the practice of religion ever seen in the modern world.

But today's communist rulers have radically altered their views about religion and have granted substantial freedom to Christians prepared to worship within state-sanctioned churches.

Within these boundaries, Christianity is growing in China as never before - and doing so supported by millions of dollars of government funding.

The BBC has been given unprecedented access to China's state-sanctioned Protestant and Catholic churches, to examine why the government seems so keen to invest in religion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11020947

In the early 1970s, there were an estimated 3 million Christians in China. Now, the number may be as high as 130 million. However, the government continues to keep a close eye on the activities of officials churches and there has been sporadic persecution against Christians belonging to unofficial house churches.

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/church.in.china.experiencing.tremendous.growth/26420.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoqIgd4eCik

There was some Xtian cove on BBC radio over the weekend blethering on about the 'underground church' in China. He claimed that there are millions of the blighters meeting in secret because they don't agree with the state sanctioned versions of Xtianity.

Obviously he represented some charidee or other collecting funds to aid these 'martyrs'. Not that any evidence of anyone being martyred was actually presented and he was vague about specifics.

Gave me an idea.

Please get your cards and chequebooks out and send large donations to .........

The Terrified Taoists of Tibet Fund.

Millions of Taoists meet in secret in Tibet under fear of marauding fundamentalist Buddhists and the Chinese authorities both.

Something must be done. This is something. We must do it.....

If enough rubes (sorry I mean concerned people) each donate 1,000 dollars today your money will ensure that we can set up swish offices in Washington, employ our relatives as lobbyists on fine salaries and live in the manner to which we would like to become accustomed as we raise the profile of these Terrified Taoist martyrs.

No receipts given, cash always accepted.

Give early. give often.

Terrified Taoists in Tibet need YOUR support.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Spot on GMP. Growing up I don't know how many times I heard similar stories and saw such "charities" set up. I was good friends with a Nigerian family who actually were persecuted and driven from their mainly Muslim homeland. The church did help the man bring the rest of his family to the US after he came but after he was in the States the charity for him and his family was over.

It brings up the question 'How many Taoists are there in China?' Its a very slippery question, I get googles between 20 million to highs of 225 million. One possible problem is Chinese have much more overlaps in religion then we do in the West. I'm assuming here, but I believe a large percentage of 'lay' Taoists are also Buddhists. Probably a fair amount of Christians and Atheists might also consider themselves Taoists.

I expect the number of taoist monks in China to be a very small percentage. Can't find a number, but after the persecution a generation ago, thats not unexpected.

Not many hermits left either by all accounts and those that are on getting on in years.

Read a book about em back in summer, most interesting.

the way of taoism go with the flow, pretend to be christian so you fit in better with your society and then bam practice qigong lol

Maybe all these so called Chinese Xtians are actually Falun Gong sorts in disguise and just blagging it.

falun gong ppl are adverse to xtians as li hongzhi considers the religious being controlled by "rotten gods."

• Like 1

Well my understanding is that Falun Dafa people in China have to keep their heads down as it's very much frowned upon by the authorities in much the same way that these non sanctioned Xtian sects are so maybe they have a thing or two in common.

Christians are easier to control than Daoists.

Having grown up as a Christian, I'd say this is pretty accurate.