chenplayer

Mo Pai obsession?

Just wanted to start a friendly conversation about the near fanatic (or what seems to be) obsession of Mo Pai. I will admit that when I first started to get into Qigong and Neigong I was fascinated by Kosta's story of John Chang. But now that I am older I feel like all the wanting of super powers are rather silly. I mean what is the point of it? I don't want to fly or blow up villages, I just want to feel connection with myself and the surroundings. Also to take my monkey mind, which seems to me harder than obtaining powers. Isn't all this power searching kinda the reason why Qigong in China is reduced to what it is now?

Not saying that having these powers wouldn't be cool but should it be the goal? How do we even know this exsists? The whole J.C. Thing can be all made up for all we know. The best way I feel is that we should practice and help each other become better human beings. Well I hope this dosent offend anyone like I said I was once facinated by these stories, and it has lead me down this path. But now I just want to be a better me, not superman.

Sending much love to you all.

I feel like all the wanting of super powers are rather silly.

Very very silly.

I mean what is the point of it?

As a child grows up and becomes stronger and wiser he is able to do things as an adult that might look like magic to infants.

The end goal is to grow up, to reach the pinnacle of spiritual evolution, not get your power level over 9000! so you can become a super saiyan 4 monkey beast and shoot fireballs.

Not saying that having these powers wouldn't be cool but should it be the goal?

No they shouldn't be, spiritual evolution should be.

How do we even know this exsists?

Most people don't, and won't until they see for themselves via training.

Best wishes to you as well.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy
  • Like 5

One should have such powers only if he/she is able to control his/her Nafs. Otherwise, it is too much dangerous.

Edited by Recep Ivedik
  • Like 2

Thank You MPG for your reply! I Agree with you that the best way for anyone to really know whats out there is through constant practice and bettering of oneself. I have trained long and hard in many forms of martial arts and have lived in japan for 2 years training in Kyokushin Karate (been doing it int the states since i was 9). So my thought process is if you want to see if it works train hard. Hopefully one of these days I will see it for myself but until then I will not speculate just train. I find it more magical when you find another person you can train with who loves the art just as much as you do. My best buddies have been martial artists and really wonderful people in general.

All the best and sending much love!!!!!

Just wanted to post an interview from Feng Zhiqiang that I find very inspiring. I am not saying that other people are not as reliable but coming from a martial artist point of view, Master Feng has accomplished a lot and has been know as the real deal in China and in the Chen village, so I just resonate with what he says a little more.

[Feng] However, we should never be too proud of ourselves. Even though our external movement seems to be ok, this form is very deep. Practice diligently and hopefully one day we can do the form in such a way that whatever shape we express on the outside, the internal will follow. Only when the external and internal are synchronized can we say our form is good. And even then, if we can synchronize our internal and external, there are levels beyond that. For example, we can reach the level where we are one with Hun Yuan, as in you are moving with the universe. When you can reach the level where you are one with Hun Yuan and the universe, it’s moving and you are part of it, so even though you are not actually practicing the form you are part of the movement. What is this thing, so-called Hun Yuan Qi ball? It could be as small as a pill or as big as your body. It could move just in your dan tien or it could move all around your body as one big ball. If you can cultivate such a Taiji ball, then you can say you have succeeded. However there are still levels beyond that. Some students asked me once, "have you reached the level where you can get this one little ball of Hun Yuan qi?" I am not there yet, that’s why I am still working very hard at it. I am at the level where internal and external are synchronized. The level beyond the one concentrated ball of energy is when your three senses combine into one — the three senses are your sense of sight, sense of hearing, and sense of thought — when all three senses combine into one, you reach a spiritual level. I am not saying this to discourage you, but the level we just talked about when the three senses are mixed into one and reaching spiritual level, we may not be able to reach that in one lifetime. Only by working hard nonstop and by making progress all the time will we be able to reach there one day.

Wishing the best and sending love.

• Like 1

Just one last post about Master Feng and I promise i will stop flooding this thread. :D

This is him talking about his masters, Chen Fake, and Hu Yaozhen.

[Feng] Ever since I started learning from both of those masters, I have never heard them say anything negative about anybody else, and they never talked highly about themselves either. Master Chen actually had two nicknames. One of them was Chen So-so, and the other was Chen Useless. Because every time somebody praised him he would say, “I’m useless, I’m so-so.” He said it so often that people actually called him by his nicknames Chen Useless and Chen So-so. However, in martial arts publications in Japan they called Grandmaster Chen Fa Ke “the Saint of Fist”. [Translator's clarification: The Saint of Martial Arts]

Master Hu, similarly, never expressed his opinion about other people. He always said, “you’re good, he's good." He always praised everybody else. When somebody’s martial art or life style had some problems, he never said anything about it, he would just say “I don’t know.” When he saw something strong in somebody's martial art or something good in somebody's personality he would always praise them.

• Like 5

I advise you all to cultivate virtue, practice dilligently and leave the power fantasies alone.

Just take a look at how insane and neurotic the brain becomes when we give it the small power to choose how to behave towards others. Do you really want to give that crazy bastard laser beams and mind control? Self mastery comes first, always.

• Like 4

[Feng] However, we should never be too proud of ourselves. Even though our external movement seems to be ok, this form is very deep. Practice diligently and hopefully one day we can do the form in such a way that whatever shape we express on the outside, the internal will follow. Only when the external and internal are synchronized can we say our form is good. And even then, if we can synchronize our internal and external, there are levels beyond that. For example, we can reach the level where we are one with Hun Yuan, as in you are moving with the universe. When you can reach the level where you are one with Hun Yuan and the universe, it’s moving and you are part of it, so even though you are not actually practicing the form you are part of the movement. What is this thing, so-called Hun Yuan Qi ball? It could be as small as a pill or as big as your body. It could move just in your dan tien or it could move all around your body as one big ball. If you can cultivate such a Taiji ball, then you can say you have succeeded. However there are still levels beyond that. Some students asked me once, "have you reached the level where you can get this one little ball of Hun Yuan qi?" I am not there yet, that’s why I am still working very hard at it. I am at the level where internal and external are synchronized. The level beyond the one concentrated ball of energy is when your three senses combine into one — the three senses are your sense of sight, sense of hearing, and sense of thought — when all three senses combine into one, you reach a spiritual level. I am not saying this to discourage you, but the level we just talked about when the three senses are mixed into one and reaching spiritual level, we may not be able to reach that in one lifetime. Only by working hard nonstop and by making progress all the time will we be able to reach there one day.

This is very true in my experience.

• Like 3

I will practice hard and diligently to work on my virtue Fu Yue, Thank you for your words of wisdom.

TempleTao, that is amazing I wish you the best and more success on your training!!!!! I hope to reach that level one day. I will keep my head down but my eyes up high.

Thank You both for the motivation, I wish you all the best.

Just on a curious side note and hopefully not de-railing this topic, I was wondering if Ya Mu has any stories concerning Hu Yaozhen, since that was his masters, master. I am very interested in Hu Yaozhen's life but there is very little info about him on the web. Also since I have been practicing GOT I i would like to know more about the lineage of what I am practicing. Thank You for all your time.

Best wishes to all

Edited by chenpalyer

Personally I think power is an illusion, an ego trip, an impermanent thing conceptual thing in many ways, I cultivate to gain wisdom and to be effortlessly kind, yes putting in lots of effort and going against my own flow might be useful in some senses but I dont like repressing myself too much. I might like the ability to send good energy to people or give people gifts of healing, or explore some aspects of reality after death or interdimensionally, but I find the point of all these practices is basically nothing and now. I liked your posts fu ye and chen palyer

• Like 2

Just on a curious side note and hopefully not de-railing this topic, I was wondering if Ya Mu has any stories concerning Hu Yaozhen, since that was his masters, master. I am very interested in Hu Yaozhen's life but there is very little info about him on the web. Also since I have been practicing GOT I i would like to know more about the lineage of what I am practicing. Thank You for all your time.

Best wishes to all

I think i asked Ya Mu previously about any stories on Hu Yaozhen but I don't think he had any beyond what was on the net. In a bio of Feng Zhiqiang is describes how he met Master Hu and some stories of his abilities, he was extraordinary for sure.

Tell me if you haven't read it ill try to find a link.

Thank You for your kind words sinansencer!!!! I really enjoyed your post and glad to have so many of you writing wonderful things!!!! This is the most i think I have ever poster here on the Tao Bums, and hopefully with more practice and training i will be able to contribute more.

I do not think I have Ish I would really appreciate anything you have concerning Master Yaozhen. Thank You so much!

I am also curious.

Thank You so much Ish for the link, I am going to purchase this book as soon as possible. This will greatly enhance my chen style that I am currently practicing. Also thank you Seth for the kind words I am glad you are enjoying this thread :D !! Hopefully I might get a chance to practice some of this when i get back home to NYC.

Also if there are any bums in the NYC area that would like to get together and practice or just talk and hang out I am up for that!!! You can pm me for details. We could meet up in china town and grab some food!!!!! I get back to the states the 14th of December.

I am very interested in Hu Yaozhen's life but there is very little info about him on the web. Also since I have been practicing GOT I i would like to know more about the lineage of what I am practicing.

Here is a recollection of Grandmaster Hu by Master Feng fit for a thread about Mo Pai:

Upon arrival to Beijing, I heard the rumor that two legendary kungfu masters live in the city. One of them was Grandmaster Hu Yaozhen, who was famous for his synthesis of the taoist teachings, Qi Gong, Xing Yi Quan and Chinese medicine. He was also called the „single finger shakes the world.”... I was very fortunate to have the opportunity to meet Grandmaster Hu Yaozhen through a close friend of mine. Hu master was a totally avarage looking person who always smiled and had a friendly face. After Master Hu had listened to my martial arts background and my account of experience spoke this way: Chinese martial arts are a well-spring of knowledge, they are not merely about raw power.” I was a little bit sceptical, because I would always hear that real kungfu is all about hard practice. Master Hu realized that I had difficulty understanding his point, so he asked me to try to hit him. After long polite apologies I hit him once. After that he encouraged me to hit harder. I thought I would do it, but than he shouldn’t say that I didn’t respect the elders. I hit him with full strength and I felt like hitting a pile of cotton. At the end of the punch I felt an unbelievable strong backlashing power that knocked me back to a couple of steps of distance behind me. Master Hu stood motionless and said: „Now it is my turn.”

I prepared for the combat, I gathered all my strength and stood like a rock. Master Hu stepped closer and pointed one finger at me. Suddenly, as if some enourmous power flowed out of his fingertip. I felt nausea and weakness right away. I felt like I couldn’t defend myself. For a moment I lost the balance of Qi in my organism. After I had got better Master Hu asked me: „Do you want to know what kind of kungfu this is?” I nodded and he said that: „This is Internal Qi Gong.” All of a sudden I remembered his nickname: „the finger that can shake the world”. I realized that it was true. I knew very well by then that I met a true martial artist and that would be the great opportunity of my life. I implored him for a long time and finally he started teaching me. I learned Qi Gong, Xingyiquan and the methods of empowering the mind. I felt that I developed every day, and I slowly understood the essence of internal martial arts.

Edited by Creation
  • Like 2

Thank You creation!!!! I had a huge smile when you wrote " a recollection of Grandmaster Hu by Master Feng fit for a thread about Mo Pai" :D Its funny how a thread starts then veers off course, by my own doing I might add. I am really enjoying every ones feed back. Like Seth said earlier I am also pleasantly surprised how interesting this thread turned out to be. This might be the tamest mo pai thread yet!!!!! :)

Best wishes to all

Creation's post was a good one, there are a few more stories out there. Somewhere is my favorite about what happened when several of his students tried to lift him up when he told them he was unable to get out of bed - hilarious. I don't have a link to it. Been a long time since I heard it; I could possibly paraphrase it if you can't find it.

Master Wang was a one of a kind during his generation just like Master Hu was in his. They both said the key is the powerful internal qigong (neigong) practice (Sitting & Moving) and the ability of all practitioners of his system to perform wai qi liao fa and for all teachers of the system to be able to perform a higher-level variance of wai qi liao fa where one of its aspects is geared at attunement of the students to specific vibrations that enables them for themselves to tune into a specific portion of heaven energetics. There is no question that such practices are the epitome of qigong. Someone ignorantly posted that all qigong systems are equal. Not at all true.

Master Hu was known as the father of modern qigong and credited with coining the term "qigong", possibly by himself and possibly along with a group of his peers.

• Like 2

Thank You so much Ya Mu for the response!!! I hope one of these days I get a chance to participate in a seminar of yours. Until then i will be practicing GOT I :D !!!!!