WHITEROOMENERGYMINE1

Phlegm; To swallow or not?

Just a quick question folks, is phlegm considered jing or no? I stopped spitting my saliva out a while ago but have continued to spit all my darn loogies (I hack up a decent amount...) Is it just waste or should it be kept within the body?

Thanks yall

theNERD

Feels natural for it to come out, no concrete answer but thats what i do.

According to one of Mantak Chia's books...if you swallow your saliva incorrectly, it gets stuck in the esophagus and turns into phlegm. So the Taoists include a specific method for swallowing the saliva...part of it involves contracting your throat muscles in a certain way, and swallowing with a loud noise to ensure that all of the saliva passes down and doesn't get stuck in the throat. The method also helps relieve gas stored in the stomach...you may notice yourself burping more afterward.

There are different versions of this, and I'm not sure what is the entirely correct method. It's said to be held secret.

Edit: Adding...you could consider doing phlegm reducing Chinese medicine ideas. Also, I've read that in dao yin they work on eliminating fire in the heart and liver meridians to reduce phlegm.

Edited by Scotty
  • Like 1

I read that colored mucous is a sign your body is fighting an infection. That the color is from dead invaders. The article went on to say eating it is like taking in a vaccine of deactivated virus. I don't know if that makes sense, if the color theory is correct and if such a thing would survive stomach acid or do any good.

But..when I'm sick, I'll eat my colorful boogers. There's a salty sweetness to them that tastes good.

Well.. there goes my chance for political office.

Just a quick question folks, is phlegm considered jing or no? I stopped spitting my saliva out a while ago but have continued to spit all my darn loogies (I hack up a decent amount...) Is it just waste or should it be kept within the body?

Thanks yall

theNERD

From a Chinese medicine perspective, phelgm (not saliva) is considered pathogenic waste that can obstruct the channels, collaterals and mind. It is a product as well as cause to a variety of diseases. This substance affects the body's fluid metabolism, leading to a stasis of chi. It is common for Individuals seen at the Chinese medicine clinic to be treated for conditions resulting from phelgm such as lethargy, obesity, mental fog, headaches and much more. Some common methods by which excess phelgm can develop include over consumption of dairy products (cold-phelgm), negative emotional states (invisible-phelgm, internal) and pervasive alcohol use (heat-phelgm). Smoking can also burn fluids and damage the lung leading to copius phelgm.

In ayurveda, the substance is known as "amma".

If you are coughing phelgm frequently, you may want to consider changing your dietary and lifestyle habits or seeing a Chinese medicine practitioner to improve your fundamental metabolic and pulmonary health. Also, prolonged coughing itself is a stress to the system, sending excess nerve impulses, wearing on the musculature, and can add stress to the spine and ribs throwing off structural alignment.

*To note, I have been an academic, graduate level student of Chinese medicine and Acupuncture.

Edited by Small Fur
  • Like 3

I read that colored mucous is a sign your body is fighting an infection. That the color is from dead invaders. The article went on to say eating it is like taking in a vaccine of deactivated virus. I don't know if that makes sense, if the color theory is correct and if such a thing would survive stomach acid or do any good.

But..when I'm sick, I'll eat my colorful boogers. There's a salty sweetness to them that tastes good.

hahahahahaha

From a Chinese medicine perspective, phelgm (not saliva) is considered pathogenic waste that can obstruct the channels, collaterals and mind. It is a product as well as cause to a variety of diseases. This substance affects the body's fluid metabolism, leading to a stasis of chi. It is common for Individuals seen at the Chinese medicine clinic to be treated for conditions resulting from phelgm such as lethargy, obesity, mental fog, headaches and much more. Some common methods by which excess phelgm can develop include over consumption of dairy products (cold-phelgm), negative emotional states (invisible-phelgm, internal) and pervasive alcohol use (heat-phelgm). Smoking can also burn fluids and damage the lung leading to copius phelgm.

If you are coughing phelgm frequently, you may want to consider changing your dietary and lifestyle habits or seeing a Chinese medicine practitioner to improve your fundamental metabolic and pulmonary health. Also, prolonged coughing itself is a stress to the system, sending excess nerve impulses, wearing on the musculature, and can add stress to the spine and ribs throwing off structural alignment.

*To note, I have been an academic, graduate level student of Chinese medicine and Acupuncture.

Thank you for this helpful knowledge, honestly I smoke weed and I am pretty sure this is where most of it comes from. I have cut back dramatically and the phlegm has decreased. So yes this is the lifestyle habit that I need to change...

peace and love

theNERD

Dear Mr President,

Have you read that article about the increase in child allergies due to them not being allowed to eat dirt and living in 'over-sanitized' conditions?

-K-

I'll take reporter K's question.

Dear Mr President,

Have you read that article about the increase in child allergies due to them not being allowed to eat dirt and living in 'over-sanitized' conditions?

Thank you Miss K., As part of my Pro Child Anti crime platform the first thing I'll do in office is have public service announcements to eat there boogers.

My plan for Mideast peace is similar, I'll...

biodiversity may be getting smaller, but the world is shrinking and everyone is mingling with each other and every thing in unprecedented fashion. I'm reading Drop Dead Healthy and in one chapter the author explores the extremes between Dr. Germ who's pushing for a national campaign on more hand washing and a doctor who's the opposite number saying we need to get dirtier. No particular conclusion other then dirtier people tend to be happier and less likely to be Republican. Go figger :).

I'm in the middle, getting very dirty, then getting very clean. On one hand I garden and I'll take a day or two between showers on the other I'll avoid touching public hand rails and use anti bacterial pumps when I see them in community centers.

It is called "Ama" in ayurveda. Amma means mother :)

Yes phlegm is considered a toxic by product and swallowing it instead of spitting it out will tend to have it deposit in the digestive system, dampening your digestive fire, resulting in increased chances of things like allergies etc. also if you are generating lot of colorless phlegm, chances are that you are allergic to something. It is not unusual to see mucous in the stools etc as well in such conditions.

FYI...

Phlegm is the mucus which collects the dust and bacteria in the respiratory tract. When phlegm was formed, it will cause agitation to spit it out your system.