Sign in to follow this  
kentucker4

Do you practice CMA along with qigong?

Was just wondering how many of you practice chinese traditinal martial arts along with your qigong?

I have had some teachers...not my teacher....but others.... tell me that qigong shouldn't be practiced unless you have been doing a CMA for at least a year or qigong will be virtually useless.....and i disagree with this....i just wanted to get others opinions...because to me it seems both are linked but qigong is also separate at the same time if that makes any sense.

I think these teachers mean well - but have it backwards. Maybe they don't know about some of the good, safe, Qigong programs available.

After having a primarily spiritual/energy healing approach to all of this for years, I've come to realize how awesome and important martial art is. Helps to be grounded, in the moment, heal physically, open energy channels, help with issues of self confidence in all areas of life. MA is immensely helpful.

One can practice Qi Gong without CMA.

One can practice CMA without Qi Gong.

One can practice both any time without any time period limitation.

Qi Gong is considered to be internal practice and CMA is external.

For a weaker person, in general, it was advised to start with Qi Gong to build up a better body condition before practicing CMA.

All real traditional kung fu systems have combat, nei gung, qi kung, healing....If it hasn't the art is simply incomplete from a journey point of view. Some styles lost the internal cultivation due to concentrating on the fighting aspects so they now add taiji and other things to compliment their art. But real kung fu systems had it all thats why its know as a Pai, Mun, Gar etc!

In the modern age martial arts aren't anywhere near as important now as they were when these systems were developed to protect yourself, times change but often traditional attitudes are slow to keep up and adapt.

Your goals will dictate what you study and practice. That's all you need to worry about.

Sign in to follow this