skydog

Drop all Mantras (Even that one), Do nothing (not even doing nothing)

On the one hand Im sure this is not something someone new to this would get.

But anyways I just like to have a walk...so first I have a walk- do healing sounds, inner smile, let go and just do nothing letting myself walk, opening the heart.

Things pop up to from my trance state,

and I get the idea from OSHO about dropping all mantras, which is interesting, then I realise this is a mantra..so

Also Ive liked this idea of doing nothing- spontaneiouty, letting everything be done by itself, wu wei...Letting go

But I also realise this can become like a mantra..

In fact most thoughts are a mantra ( a technique to make one feel better or fix mood)

From experience. Many of my thoughts are in no way things to change my state for the better. I was just reading about mantras being an "access code" to other aspects of oneself. I "get it" but I'm also skeptical. Tending towards the "whatever" as met at each point of attention.

The circle that is the spiritual path... what a nightmare.

Follow your own intuition and what feels right for you

How are we suppose to go any further within ourselves if we do not trust ourselves?

Clinging to words

• Like 1

One of the first books I read on Buddhism used a clumsy metaphor to describe mantras but I did find some value to it.

It described mantras to be like a raft,

A raft can help you down the stream, help negotiate tides currents and rapids

but when you reach your destination carrying the raft becomes a burden instead of an aid.

So you leave it near the shores where you landed in hopes it may help another as it helped you.

That's a summary, and I am aware that even that metaphor is a mantra but it's a mantra I could easily abandon when I no longer need it.

On the one hand Im sure this is not something someone new to this would get.

But anyways I just like to have a walk...so first I have a walk- do healing sounds, inner smile, let go and just do nothing letting myself walk, opening the heart.

Things pop up to from my trance state,

and I get the idea from OSHO about dropping all mantras, which is interesting, then I realise this is a mantra..so

Also Ive liked this idea of doing nothing- spontaneiouty, letting everything be done by itself, wu wei...Letting go

But I also realise this can become like a mantra..

In fact most thoughts are a mantra ( a technique to make one feel better or fix mood)

Someone "new" might not get this but Osho was demonic. (wrapped in warm and fuzzy)

Edited by 3bob

One of the first books I read on Buddhism used a clumsy metaphor to describe mantras but I did find some value to it.

It described mantras to be like a raft,

A raft can help you down the stream, help negotiate tides currents and rapids

but when you reach your destination carrying the raft becomes a burden instead of an aid.

So you leave it near the shores where you landed in hopes it may help another as it helped you.

That's a summary, and I am aware that even that metaphor is a mantra but it's a mantra I could easily abandon when I no longer need it.

actually there is never a disconnect from mantra or Om and what some refer to as Nirvana just as there is never a disconnect between 1st step and the tenth thousand step.

actually there is never a disconnect from mantra or Om and what some refer to as Nirvana just as there is never a disconnect between 1st step and the tenth thousand step.

Tao Te Ching

Chapter 48

Pursue knowledge, gain daily

Pursue Tao, lose daily

lose and again lose

Arrive at nothing

My translated copy may be different, but if you are to lose daily you must also lose the mantras otherwise how are you to enter into nothing.

Also I am aware of the slight paradox in using a mantra to talk about abandoning mantras but it is what it is.

Edited by Melanie

Someone "new" might not get this but Osho was demonic. (wrapped in warm and fuzzy)

Thanks for giving us all your opinion about a man you never knew.

Thanks for giving us all your opinion about a man you never knew.

do your research of multiple 1st hand witness related to on the scene events... of those who knew and revealed the lies.

I have often thought that I am rather redundant in my posting but 3bob just put me to shame.

blame it on the web...lol

Tao Te Ching

Chapter 48

Pursue knowledge, gain daily

Pursue Tao, lose daily

lose and again lose

Arrive at nothing

My translated copy may be different, but if you are to lose daily you must also lose the mantras otherwise how are you to enter into nothing.

Also I am aware of the slight paradox in using a mantra to talk about abandoning mantras but it is what it is.

lose attachment, then is freedom, then is joy, then is dance. No-thing (same word with insert) points to loss of attachment or the freedom of not being stuck to things or the limits of identity as this or that thing, thus not nothing per se.

lose attachment, then is freedom, then is joy, then is dance. No-thing (same word with insert) points to loss of attachment or the freedom of not being stuck to things or the limits of identity as this or that thing, thus not nothing per se.

You said that well.

do your research of multiple 1st hand witness related to on the scene events... of those who knew and revealed the lies.

ok then good luck with that belief system

Edited by sinansencer

Hmm... sounds very Osho-ic. ^_^

Edited by C T

except that osho would use freedom joy and dance to justify what basically boils down to spiritual materialism. its not that all the concepts he employed to teach his followers are tainted or bad, obviously theres nothing wrong with freedom, joy, or dance, its that osho was a proponent of bliss for bliss sake, which is dangerous.

Besides, you can tell from the degree of wakefulness that his followers exhibited when they poisoned the food supply in a public place that he was not teaching them interconnectedness, awareness, integrity, etc. He was stroking their egos and they were stroking his, and the whole thing led to egomaniacal behavior.

Does he even have any followers who became teachers, or were they all so lazy lounging about the ashram (where i've heard from one of garchen rinpoche's students that you now have to get tested for aids to be accepted in) that they forgot their progress?

so i figure you have a pretty solid perspective CT and im not arguing with you or misintepreting the smile at the end of your sentence up there, but i think its worth my saying that using spiritual words and concepts to paint a blissful picture of self-indulgence and ego driven agenda is misleading spiritual seekers in the darkest way.

That would be kinda of funny except for the suffering he brought in the false use of various truthful teachings.

except that osho would use freedom joy and dance to justify what basically boils down to spiritual materialism. its not that all the concepts he employed to teach his followers are tainted or bad, obviously theres nothing wrong with freedom, joy, or dance, its that osho was a proponent of bliss for bliss sake, which is dangerous.

Besides, you can tell from the degree of wakefulness that his followers exhibited when they poisoned the food supply in a public place that he was not teaching them interconnectedness, awareness, integrity, etc. He was stroking their egos and they were stroking his, and the whole thing led to egomaniacal behavior.

Does he even have any followers who became teachers, or were they all so lazy lounging about the ashram (where i've heard from one of garchen rinpoche's students that you now have to get tested for aids to be accepted in) that they forgot their progress?

so i figure you have a pretty solid perspective CT and im not arguing with you or misintepreting the smile at the end of your sentence up there, but i think its worth my saying that using spiritual words and concepts to paint a blissful picture of self-indulgence and ego driven agenda is misleading spiritual seekers in the darkest way.

Anamatva, I'm glad to see you have done some research.

Osho was so popular because he advocated hedonism. In practice his teachings aren't so dissimilar from Aliester Crowleys and both attracted upper class members of society for the same reasons. Osho owned over ninety rolls royces, he said that parents shouldn't raise their children, but rather the community should. If you want to see how this worked out read the book "My Life in Orange". The children that grew up in Orange or the Osho community were neglected and suffered from abuse. From all accounts his communes were run in a cult like fashion, where he was deemed to be without fault. There has been a recent resurgence of Osho interest because the corporate body that inherited his fortune has started to advertise on the internet. A few years ago most religious experts considered the Osho movement over, as in there were very few actual practitioners still around.

My advice to anyone, don't allow yourself to be trapped like a fly in honey. Osho sounds good, but much of what he says has no practical application. I can't understand how most Taoists or Buddhists could hear that crap and actually consider it to be beneficial. It's just feeding the ego at the cost of the soul.

Aaron

• Like 3

Who here has studied Osho's teachings in depth? If anyone has, can you give an honest feedback?

Me! Lived with sanyassins for a few years! Read tons of his books.

He was quite brilliant at telling rich white people and white hippies what they wanted to hear so that they would give him tons of money.

He was a drug dependent F%*k wit in my book!

The stories I have heard form people who knew him personally... wow.

On the good side at least he did promote meditation, and a few, very few, of his disciples took that on, in an in depth manner.

No one of note have been produced by his teachings.

But there are tens of thousands of self satisfied baby boomers, who have his picture on their walls, while they get fat and rich on real estate, or as CEO's and live in narcissistic bubbles, where having a weekly colonic followed by a cranial-sacral body work session after which they scream out any trauma of the day, and consider it to be the height of spiritual living.

I know he said to drop all mantras, but in reality he taught one: Me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me....

• Like 3