ChiDragon

Do you need a Teacher for life.....?

When a bird learnt to fly leaves its parents, what do you think when is the time to leave your sifu....???

Edited by ChiDragon

Only one teacher? What happens to the rest of them?

hehehe.....

You left one and look for another....:) But why you leave the last one....???

Edited by ChiDragon

Yea one has only one teacher! Many seek to play that part for one but only one can play it... in fact one meets all kind of being in the path who show this and that but its up to each to choose what to learn and what not to learn...

what do I think when is the time to leave ones sifu....??? well it must be the time when one knows all there is to know... then one can leave ones teacher and focus on ones being...

Teacher vs Coach? A young western boxer will learn how to box from one teacher and when he gets the fundamentals down then he can leave that teacher but will always seek out better and better coaches. Its the same with internal martial arts except 99% of teachers can't fight and don't know the fundamentals good enough to teach them. So they teach forms and more forms and more forms and after 20 years a student is still a student and hasn't a clue what the difference between Ward Off and Splitting.

I used to think that there could be only one teacher and that teacher says that he's a teacher, but everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked

When a bird learnt to fly leaves its parents, what do think when is the time to leave your sifu....???

"When the bird can fly, he can finally fly with its parents. Before they show how to fly and the place they told when sitting in the nest."

• Like 1

"When the bird can fly, he can finally fly with its parents. Before they show how to fly and the place they told when sitting in the nest."

Friend...

Sorry, you need to know something about the birds, especially about eagles.... ;)

Friend...

Sorry, you need to know something about the birds, especially about eagles.... ;)

Many of us are compareable to birds, but this doesnt make us all eagles.

Still birds are birds and human are human.

• Like 1

True Masters finish the fight even before the fighting begins...

The forms only helps to get the student to the point of understanding

and then its up to the student to actually understand it

Does one seek to rise to the heights of the opportunity?

does one just stand to perform at the lever of training?

One only has one teacher, though many a messenger will seek to make you believe otherwise.

I am just a messenger who seeks to make a point clear

its up to each to actually understand this

'ChiDragon Friend...You gave an analogy....:)

some choose to make it be bad and some choose to make it be good... then some choose to see what you did for what you did

Life is one's greatest teacher. The wind beneath the bird's wings teaches it to fly. Parents just give a few helpful pointers.

-My 2 cents, Peace

I think there are teachers who have left me because I wasn't 'something' enough (or whatever conditions are in play) to pursue whatever levels their teaching gets to.

To take a tangent, I'm not professional tennis-player material. Nor synchronized swimming material, nor am I spy-material or army-material or anything much really. I'm a gnarly tree:-) I know it and I suspect teachers know it too...

That's not to say that one day a teacher (or several) and I might find something to 'do' with this particular configuration of person and practice and times and places.

More seriously, I do reckon teachers find you rather than the reverse. I mean you find each other.

--opinion etc---

Traditionnaly, the answer in China would be "ten years" before you could leave your teacher.

In my experience, this is very hard, if not impossible given our modern day living standards. I was moving around the globe, making it hard to stay with one teacher all the time.

However, there is one man who first introduced me to the taoist arts, and I consider him my "teacher for life". Although I am not studying physically with him anymore, I still would say he was my main influence. Not that he was better than other teachers I met after. It's just because we had a "special relationship" which is pretty hard to describe.

I notice how many think that there are teachers who teach them stuff...

I was fortunate to have had met someone on the way who showed me the truth...

I was even more fortunate to had learned that truth... when that one showed it...

It be the students that learns stuff... on the way there be other fellow travelers ...

Some want to help, some want to hinder, some want to exploit, some want to cultivate, some want to share, some want to take, some want to teach, some want to learn...

I know I cant teach but myself the truth... for one can only show others the truth... it is up to them it to accept it or reject it...

Travelers down the same path are bound to share similar experiences... now some go into a path because of who they will meed there!

• Like 1

One should also find a teacher for death :)

Anyway me thinks this is a silly topic as everyone is different - every situation is different

A very un Taoist question

A teacher of death is very important :)

My Sifu once said something like -

We all have our path through life. Sometimes those paths touch and you travel together, sometimes those paths separate and go in different directions.

I enjoyed the time that our paths were together - the separate paths ... not so much enjoyment :) but it's still just a part of the journey.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your precious responses. I see that there are quite a few true masters with empirical experiences, here, offered their deepest philosophical thoughts. These thoughts are very impressive and eloquently said.

Thanks again. You have my most warmest welcome.....:)

Edited by ChiDragon

Thank you all for your precious responses. I see that there are quite a few true masters with empirical experiences, here, offered their deepest philosophical thoughts. These thoughts are very impressive and eloquently said.

Thanks again. You have my most warmest welcome.....:)

Please I am hardly a master :wub::)

Please I am hardly a master :wub::)

....but you're a wise man...!!! A wise man always knows his limitations..... ;)

Yea one has only one teacher! Many seek to play that part for one but only one can play it... in fact one meets all kind of being in the path who show this and that but its up to each to choose what to learn and what not to learn...

what do I think when is the time to leave ones sifu....??? well it must be the time when one knows all there is to know... then one can leave ones teacher and focus on ones being...

Isn't that a fact and was very nicely said...!!!:)

Teacher vs Coach? A young western boxer will learn how to box from one teacher and when he gets the fundamentals down then he can leave that teacher but will always seek out better and better coaches. Its the same with internal martial arts except 99% of teachers can't fight and don't know the fundamentals good enough to teach them. So they teach forms and more forms and more forms and after 20 years a student is still a student and hasn't a clue what the difference between Ward Off and Splitting.

Thank you for mentioning the significance of learning the fundamental principles. ;)

True Masters finish the fight even before the fighting begins...

The forms only helps to get the student to the point of understanding

and then its up to the student to actually understand it

Does one seek to rise to the heights of the opportunity?

does one just stand to perform at the lever of training?

One only has one teacher, though many a messenger will seek to make you believe otherwise.

I am just a messenger who seeks to make a point clear

its up to each to actually understand this

Very eloquently said in a metaphorical manner.

How wonderful to have a gentleman and a philosopher among us.....:)

However, there is one man who first introduced me to the taoist arts, and I consider him my "teacher for life". Although I am not studying physically with him anymore, I still would say he was my main influence. Not that he was better than other teachers I met after. It's just because we had a "special relationship" which is pretty hard to describe.

Now, that is what we call a teacher for life....:)

My Sifu once said something like -

We all have our path through life. Sometimes those paths touch and you travel together, sometimes those paths separate and go in different directions.

I enjoyed the time that our paths were together - the separate paths ... not so much enjoyment :) but it's still just a part of the journey.

Yes, we learnt to appreciate what was given to us at the time...:)