Vmarco

What would peace look like?

Where then, by what name, would heart equate to a psychical phenomena in freudian like terms ?

I don't know, I think Freud was so much in his own head that he never went below the drama of the war of the mind.

I have never heard a clear equasion between the eatern vs western depictions of psyche, as it probably takes a rather diversified perspective to answer.

I believe it answerable because objective truth isnt owned exclusively.

This! I would really be interested to hear!

I don't even try to compare/contrast. I stay with Lao Tzu in that I should reduce my desire, know when I have enough, and avoid competition. I thenk we attain a lot of inner peace by doing just these things.

I don't know, I think Freud was so much in his own head that he never went below the drama of the war of the mind.

I am not big on some of Freuds terminolgy etc either , but its the basis of western style understanding of the mind. Additionally, I see folks here using the word ego, which has freudian definition , and wrong usage ,both, in western terminology.

Why does , say,, a Buddhist, use the word "EGO" if they are going to run away from Freudian comparison?

How would a Buddhist ,or enlightened Taoist, in the field of psychology, speak of the mind ,to a Christian practitioner?

By the way, isnt that an Ancient Greek style motif-avatar? Didnt the Greeks picture the mind likened to a charioteer and two horses equating roughly with Freuds tri-partition?

I don't even try to compare/contrast. I stay with Lao Tzu in that I should reduce my desire, know when I have enough, and avoid competition. I thenk we attain a lot of inner peace by doing just these things.

Reasonable enough.

I was looking around over in the Buddhist section and unfortunately came upon some "contrast I wasnt desiring of seeing' mainly in the form of disrespects for the Buddhists I hadnt seen over here, and although I wasn't any part of it I feel ashamed now although I was feeling feisty earlier. I need to do some reconsidering.

I wont ever share their beliefs, of that I am pretty sure, it is just a bad fit for me, but I still consider it a very respectable tradition....( Im surprised to find myself so affected...)...

Have a nice weekend though.

Have a nice weekend though.

Thanks. You do the same.

Yes, I am glad that Sean and the board mods created the Buddhist sub-forum. I have been in some disagreements (and crude arguements) with some of our Buddhist members and I really never enjoyed doing it.

The world has many paths to follow. I would think that if our path brings peace into our life it should be considered a good path.

. Still, as anything can be said, .

Very very interesting post Ill have to read it a few times,before I can ask about it.

please! please do not drop into that "I cant explain anything" mode .

I consider 'contending without contending' construes in english to making ones argument because one wants things said, and not being desiring of defeat of the other side, that both sides can be , or come to agreement or mutual understanding is better.

In that spirit I continue, do you consider that the sense of self resides in the ego?

Edited by Stosh

Substituting the word 'alternative' for plan B

Would put all of us in agreement, would it not?

No, in peace is no alder native! We are native of land we live! Neighbours native of land they live!

PEACE IS: Everyone be himself. No german try to be indian, lol.

PEACE IS: like jiggy saw puzzle. We are piece of puzzle, all we! So you are piece, I am piece. THE GREATEST ASSURANCE THAT WE ALL FIT TOGETHER, HARMONIOUSLY, IS WHEN EVERYONE IS BEING HIM/HERSELF AS FULLY AS CAN BE!

That what is written on jiggy saw puzzle instruction manual :D

Edited by Everything

No, in peace is no alder native! We are native of land we live! Neighbours native of land they live!

PEACE IS: Everyone be himself. No german try to be indian, lol.

PEACE IS: like jiggy saw puzzle. We are piece of puzzle, all we! So you are piece, I am piece. THE GREATEST ASSURANCE THAT WE ALL FIT TOGETHER, HARMONIOUSLY, IS WHEN EVERYONE IS BEING HIM/HERSELF AS FULLY AS CAN BE!

That what is written on jiggy saw puzzle instruction manual :D

I suggested the word 'alternative', rather than "plan B" because the term "plan B" ,suggests that the peace you would experience is inferior to "plan A".

When european-american settlers were captured by native american "indians" they were often adopted into the tribes to supplement their strength, many found the "new ways" preferable to those they had known and chose to adopt the ways of their captors rather than return to their original people. So the "German CAN become the indian"

and peace still could still be found.

I suggested the word 'alternative', rather than "plan B" because the term "plan B" ,suggests that the peace you would experience is inferior to "plan A".

When european-american settlers were captured by native american "indians" they were often adopted into the tribes to supplement their strength, many found the "new ways" preferable to those they had known and chose to adopt the ways of their captors rather than return to their original people. So the "German CAN become the indian"

and peace still could still be found.

No german try be indian no! Indian indian and german german. Indian don't know what is german, german don't know what is indian. Yet, they be self! Sure, sometimes german and then later indian. But... When indian, he not german, so he always been indian in heart! So no matter what he be, he be self. You see?

When puzzle piece try be what is not, it no longer fit. The jiggy saw puzzle never complete then! 1 person ruin all puzzle and peace not possible! that is why many people live group, small group, but very of them! Happy they be and peace, like nature =)

Edited by Everything

No german try be indian no! Indian indian and german german. Indian don't know what is german, german don't know what is indian. Yet, they be self! Sure, sometimes german and then later indian. But... When indian, he not german, so he always been indian in heart! So no matter what he be, he be self. You see?

When puzzle piece try be what is not, it no longer fit. The jiggy saw puzzle never complete then! 1 person ruin all puzzle and peace not possible! that is why many people live group, small group, but very of them! Happy they be and peace, like nature =)

German or Indian , Being true to ones self is best.

SO be it:)

Technologically, I don't know all the controls yet, could be better educated. Forums are a mystery to me. I don't know how this will look when I "add reply."

But I love it! When all the pieces are connected, the puzzle is One. We, the many, are one. And we are powerful, but a step away from Tao.

The secret is to find peace in the piece. Knowing that the piece is one, and being the one in peace, is a start. For what is in one piece cannot be helped but to be in all.

The secret is to find peace in the piece. Knowing that the piece is one, and being the one in peace, is a start. For what is in one piece cannot be helped but to be in all.

I just wanted to repeat this post because I like it.

(No, I'm not going to add too it - my piece is already in place.)

I just wanted to repeat this post because I like it.

(No, I'm not going to add too it - my piece is already in place.)

ty Marblehead. New to this forum (or any forum), I'm enjoying the focus on Taoism. Posts spark thought, and posting leaves empty spaces, sometimes answered. Some have said "Space is the final frontier," and maybe they're right. To be happy and peaceful in one's space is a Godsend. Are we all Gods? It's too balky to preach "Goddesssends." Language forges thought, some say. But language is our tool, our ones and zeros in computerspeak, through which we communicate. May you love words and silence . . . I appreciate appreciation.

Thinking beyond language is another thought, without a word: May we craft that word, and so communicate. Tower of Babel, I think the bible called it. Still, that is our destiny. Appreciate thine enemies and even their opposing words, for all this gives a place, which once was empty, a certain type of friction which can be used to propel each of us in the direction of our whim, or better yet, of a well thought of, yet perhaps wordless, eternity. Happiness in a moment carries on to the next day. You have sparked this series of keyboard strokes, and again, thank you.

Are we all Gods?

I know of some Taoists who suggest that we are all Gods. Here is their reasoning:

Because the entire picture (all that is) is God, and because we and everything in the universe are a piece of that picture, each and every one of us as well as all things and all non-things reflect a certain aspect of God.

No, I personally do not believe in God. Hehehe. I am an Atheist; how could I? But when looked at from their perspective I cannot argue against their conclusion.

As to words, even though I agree that words are sometimes lacking of the ability to express fully and accurately our innermost thoughts and feelings we still must use them because in most cases these words are the only thing we have to relate with others.

I have oftentimes pointed out that even though we sometimes have total disagreements with others, as long as we keep talking we can at least at some point understand why the other holds an opposite view than we do and if we can do this we can at least agree to disagree based on logic and reason.

To agree upon God, we must all agree on upon what God is. Identity has been argued about for ages. We seem to agree upon this, as God being (all that is). But then, what is "all that is?" -therefore defining "all that is not." In this way, I am an atheist also. All words are arguable. This is their nature. God then is not, as Nietzsche wrote.

Words are what we are using, for I cannot see your expressions, nor hear your inflections, as you cannot mine.

We cannot even smell each other, nor touch, other than our keyboards. Our sight is limited to photons from a monitor. We communicate without a sound, beyond tapping keys and flying photons.

As such, I totally agree with you and respect you. Perhaps there are unsensible "rays" connecting us. Communicating. Perhaps we indeed sense them, but having no reference point, must ignore them, or we would become insane. Yes, more definitions. Many definitions. We are. It is written.

Logic and reason require precepts. We have all of these. Use them and question them, I tell myself.

To me, the word, or concept, of "God" requires an equal "Goddess" to be enfolded, as in yin and yang.

And as in consummation, must be One, timeless. Corridor to Tao, which exists thrice, only in eternity, nothingness and now. Equal in non-existance as in existance, the ten-thousand things.

A basis of Tao, as I'm sure you know, is that it can never be spoken, only alluded to. And even this is not real. With what is real, with what I experience, I can only agree. Disagreeing leads to undesired conflict. Leads to seeking what is not real. And so, to mix in Zen as is my want, I have slain many a Buddha on the road. All of them were me.

Ah!, you have alluded to my understanding of universal Chi energy - the force that permeates and connects all that is as well as all that has been and will be.

And I agree that to argue about that which cannot be "known" is a act of futility.

Sometimes better to remain silent. (Of course, I rarely do that. Hehehe.)

The problem with attain peace is that our desires far outweigh our needs. Ego is at the root of this. I suppose another restrictor (is that a word?) would be not knowing when we have enough.

Yeah, I think a good picture of peace would be one of me sitting in my front yard, nothing on my mind, watching the flowers grow.

To agree upon God, we must all agree on upon what God is. Identity has been argued about for ages. We seem to agree upon this, as God being (all that is). But then, what is "all that is?" -therefore defining "all that is not." In this way, I am an atheist also. All words are arguable. This is their nature. God then is not, as Nietzsche wrote.

If god is all that is how can you define god as all that is not. All that is - nothing left over

All that is = Kashmir Shaivism

Neti neti - not this not this = Vedanta

Both lead to the same place - no words

Ahh . . . not this, not that. Did the Arabs know the can of worms they opened when they "invented" zero? Pandora's box has been opened, and the apple eaten.

I know of some Taoists who suggest that we are all Gods. Here is their reasoning:

Because the entire picture (all that is) is God, and because we and everything in the universe are a piece of that picture, each and every one of us as well as all things and all non-things reflect a certain aspect of God.

No, I personally do not believe in God. Hehehe. I am an Atheist; how could I? But when looked at from their perspective I cannot argue against their conclusion.

I dont believe in gods either , especially if there is any expectation that such a god would be humanlike.

But as food for thought there is one way humans can be constued as demi-gods is that by bridging the gap between things illusory-subjective and things material-objective, humans can create things qualitatively new in the universe, like lasers and Ipods.

But as food for thought there is one way humans can be constued as demi-gods is that by bridging the gap between things illusory-subjective and things material-objective, humans can create things qualitatively new in the universe, like lasers and Ipods.

Yes, that is a valid concept, I think, if we are talking about a "creative power".

And even a butterfly creates within me a feeling of joy and wondering. I got a peek of one butterfly I think I have never seen before as it was leaving my garden. A pretty large one I think had a base color of yellow.

But anyhow, even the illusions and delusions are creations of our mind. Fun stuff!!!

But anyhow, even the illusions and delusions are creations of our mind. Fun stuff!!!

Thats our thing, (the butterfly might have an illusion too, but its hard to tell):)