Lao Tzu

Meditation is not a good way for practising

Lao Tzu rode his water buffalo off into the mountains hundreds of years before Christ, never to be seen again, until now.

I feel so grateful that he has chosen to return to the red dust world at this time to show The Way to the ignorant and misguided. ;)

Lao Tzu rode his water buffalo off into the mountains hundreds of years before Christ, never to be seen again, until now.

I feel so grateful that he has chosen to return to the red dust world at this time to show The Way to the ignorant and misguided. ;)

I hope I was Lao Zi, but I am not. ^_^

Lao Tzu -

So you reached your conclusion from reading?

I respect that. But at the same time one could reach a totally opposite conclusion from reading.

Zen Buddhism has meditation at the core of its practice....you learn that from reading. Or from being around practicing Zen Buddhists.

Read Blofeld's book Toaism, and you'll see interview after interview with Taoist adepts saying meditation is the only way to enlightenment.

But that's only reading. An intellectual exercise.

Better to learn by practicing, by direct experience. I dare say if you practice meditation for 30 minutes per day for 100 consecutive days (pick any style of meditation you like and practice it diligently) then your opinion would be based on experience. And I expect at the end of the 100 days your opinion would be quite different.

That said, if you come back after a 100 day meditation practice and then make some statements you would get my attention. That said, no one who practices meditation that I am aware of would say it's "not a good way".

I meditate daily, so I have a frame of reference and I have a very different opinion of your OP, that "meditation is not a good way of practicing."

History would also stand powerfully against your opinion.

Again, I respect your right to your belief. But I have a very different perspective.

Fu

PS - Dainin...now that there post of yours was funny and I don't care what anybody says. :)

• Like 2

So again how do you do this? What IS your practice?

Remind me of the truth of the world, and try to stick to it!

The truth is what the sages told us.

Lao Tzu -

So you reached your conclusion from reading?

I respect that. But at the same time one could reach a totally opposite conclusion from reading.

Zen Buddhism has meditation at the core of its practice....you learn that from reading. Or from being around practicing Zen Buddhists.

Read Blofeld's book Toaism, and you'll see interview after interview with Taoist adepts saying meditation is the only way to enlightenment.

But that's only reading. An intellectual exercise.

Better to learn by practicing, by direct experience. I dare say if you practice meditation for 30 minutes per day for 100 consecutive days (pick any style of meditation you like and practice it diligently) then your opinion would be based on experience. And I expect at the end of the 100 days your opinion would be quite different.

That said, if you come back after a 100 day meditation practice and then make some statements you would get my attention. That said, no one who practices meditation that I am aware of would say it's "not a good way".

I meditate daily, so I have a frame of reference and I have a very different opinion of your OP, that "meditation is not a good way of practicing."

History would also stand powerfully against your opinion.

Again, I respect your right to your belief. But I have a very different perspective.

Fu

PS - Dainin...now that there post of yours was funny and I don't care what anybody says. :)

When I was young and started to learn "Qi Gong", I did some meditation. I can not remenmber if it is more than 100 days.

But finally, after I had read many books and been thinking of what the sages said, I realized that meditation is a wrong way for the Way.

When I was young and started to learn "Qi Gong", I did some meditation. I can not remenmber if it is more than 100 days.

But finally, after I had read many books and been thinking of what the sages said, I realized that meditation is a wrong way for the Way.

Actually I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but meditation has been a part of Taoist practice for well over 1,600 years. In fact the type of mediation we use today in Taoist practice, was the type that was eventually adopted by the founders of Ch'an Buddhism way back in the 6th century AD (500-600AD). Essentially what you're saying has no basis on fact, but rather it's personal opinion. When people ask you to provide proof for your arguments, you can't. I guess my question is what are your actions actually causing to happen here? Perhaps you should study a bit more on Wu Wei Wu? I would suggest that you also remember the wise words of Lao Tzu and teach by your actions and not your words, at least in this case.

Aaron

Many ancient sages said that meditation is a bad way for pursue Dao.

So much bad advice, so little time. Every real Taoist school of neigong begins with meditation to accumulate chi. I think thetaobums would be a better place if all the people who have no idea what they are talking about would STFU, and stop giving advice like they are sages

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know."
-Tao Te Ching chapter 56

Edited by More_Pie_Guy
  • Like 4

Actually I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but meditation has been a part of Taoist practice for well over 1,600 years. In fact the type of mediation we use today in Taoist practice, was the type that was eventually adopted by the founders of Ch'an Buddhism way back in the 6th century AD (500-600AD). Essentially what you're saying has no basis on fact, but rather it's personal opinion. When people ask you to provide proof for your arguments, you can't. I guess my question is what are your actions actually causing to happen here? Perhaps you should study a bit more on Wu Wei Wu? I would suggest that you also remember the wise words of Lao Tzu and teach by your actions and not your words, at least in this case.

Aaron

I didn't say meditation is not a way for Taoism. I just say it is not a good way, at least not the best way. Because it opposite to the spirit of Taoism and Buddhism.

Anyway, I know there are thousands of people who have been engaged into meditation since a long time before. That is a big problem which has lasted for hundreds of years.

• Like 1

So someone asked me why I hadn't gotten into Lao Tzu's face about Taoism and meditation and I simply responded that I had decided that I wasn't going to get involved in this discussion.

Still not involved yet.

But I will go back to the beginning and read the thread.

Y'all have a great day!

So much bad advice, so little time. Every real Taoist school of neigong begins with meditation to accumulate chi.

That is the problem.

Probably not good teachers.

Probably just for money.

Every real Taoist school of neigong begins with meditation to accumulate chi.

I think so too!

I think thetaobums would be a better place if all the people who have no idea what they are talking about would STFU, and stop giving advice like they are sages

Yeah, but they believe that they know what they are talking about! That's the big problem.

I think meditation is thinking of some images or some place on/in one's body with your mind.

zen is thinking of the philosophy.

Okay. First error. (Taoist) Meditation is NOT! thinking.

Get out of town. What a crock of shit. What's the alternative then?

Isn't there a policy on disinformation?

Hehehe. Truth will reveal itself eventually.

• Like 1

I didn't say meditation is not a way for Taoism. I just say it is not a good way, at least not the best way. Because it opposite to the spirit of Taoism and Buddhism.

Anyway, I know there are thousands of people who have been engaged into meditation since a long time before. That is a big problem which has lasted for hundreds of years.

Meditation is the opposite of Taoism?? Jesus man... where the f*** are you getting this nonsense???

Correct meditation is the only way to gather and accumulate chi at the lower dan tein, there is no better way. It's the most crucial and fundamental aspect of neigong that I am aware of.

If you want to study Buddhist and Taoist philosophy, that's fine you don't need meditation. But being well versed in a particular philosophy or religion isn't going to do jack s*** for your spiritual development, it just means you are well versed in philosophy.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy
  • Like 3

PS...

No offense to all the Westerners, this is only my gut feeling and from what I had gathered here...:)

I don't mix my philosophies or my drinks.

Dude, you are only making claims! I see no argumentation at all in your posts...not to mention a comprehensible one! It's like a little child talking!

That is the problem.

Probably not good teachers.

Probably just for money.

Again, only claims! No argumentation, no theory, no structure! I can't take you serious when you are behaving like that ....and then expecting people to agree with you! Why? Because the light of truth should shine through your words and enlighten us...?

Actually they may have been right, becouse when a state of meditation occurs pursuing of anything is impossible. :ninja:

You got one brownie point from me for that post.

Let us talk based on my point:

If you want practice Taoism, the best way is not meditation.

Too bad I cannot give you a negative brownie point for that post.

Right now I feel my tantien vibrating, my bones buzzing and hear my channels humming! Guess why!

You're listening to some Black Sabbath music?

Okay. First error. (Taoist) Meditation is NOT! thinking.

Sorry about my English or my misunderstanding of the meditation.

Can you please tell me what is meditation?

I think meditation is thinking of some images or some place on/in one's body with your mind.

zen is thinking of the philosophy.

The meditation I practice does not involve visualization, or thinking of anything. You enter a deep deep deep state of trance where you can easily and tangibly feel currents of energy within your own body, in this state you can pull in more chi and store it at the naval chakra, or dan tein.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy
  • Like 1

Hehehe. I thought he rode off on his ass.

• Like 1