sean

Was Jesus A Taoist?

9 hours ago, manitou said:

I like resurrecting old Jesus threads too. (the forum, not the clothes)

I think Jesus may have been working wu-wei on the whole crucifixion thing.  If it is as it is written, Jesus went up to the Garden of Gethsamane and had a word with his higher self, and when he Saw the path before him, he allowed it as opposed to running from it. 

At the time Jesus walked the earth, the Silk Road was hugely impactful everyone.  Different philosophies became exposed to each other for the first time.  To me, in looking at the Nazarene with a long lens, transcending the lore, there is an Eastern master there.  There is much conjecture that he went to India during his teens or early twenties.  There is a grave located in Kashmir (I think), which is guarded by a local - to guard this grave which that whole area believes is St. Issa, or Jesus.

I'd love to write more about this but my dog is whining and wants dinner.  If anybody wants to play, I'm in!

I have a few minutes on my hands so let me step in … :)

I’ve always been attracted to Mahayana Buddhism because of the Bodhisattva vow, however I feel Jesus’s approach is closer to that of Daoism than Buddhism. These are his ‘greatest commandments’

"Hear, O Israel! The Lord Our God, The Lord is One; Thou shalt love thy Lord, thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind", before also referring to a second commandment, "And the second is like unto it, thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."

The central goal of Daoism is union with the Dao, which is where Jesus is coming from in his first commandment. How to treat others is simply how you would like to be treated yourself. Now this can of cause lead to a life of servitude – but ‘union with god’ comes first.

• Like 3

To me the first inner alchemist and Jesus are brothers, different styles preaching the same Way. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Miffymog said:

The central goal of Daoism is union with the Dao, which is where Jesus is coming from in his first commandment. How to treat others is simply how you would like to be treated yourself. Now this can of cause lead to a life of servitude – but ‘union with god’ comes first.

I think the life of servitude comes in varying degrees.  I don't think that servitude necessarily means 'serving' by doing good or holy actions.  I try to practice from a place of love, where each and every contact with another is a reflection of who I know that I Am.   As to union with god, this is the realization that we are, in fact, god experiencing itself.  And I think it really only wants to enjoy life.

• Like 1

I read an article about how a monk knows another monk, by sight; how they walk, eat, move.. see.  A monk is in a situation where they can focus themselves 24/7 on disciplined spirituality.  They live a life of intensive training.  Anyhow.. the article went on that when an Eastern monk sees a Western Christian monk they recognize a brother.. a fellow being who's mind, body and being are focused on the transcendental..  beyond what the layperson is generally able to accomplish.  

Different philosophies but similar path and mindset.

Just now, thelerner said:

I read an article about how a monk knows another monk.  A monk is in a situation where they can focus themselves 24/7 on disciplined spirituality.  They live a life of intensive training.  Anyhow.. the article went on that when an Eastern monk sees a Western Christian monk they recognize a brother.. a fellow being who's mind, body and being are focused on the transcendental..  beyond what the layperson is generally able to accomplish.  

Different philosophies but similar path and mindset.

I see people as alive or not alive.  I'm pretty sure realized ones can see other realized ones as well.

15 years ago I had a kundalini awakening.  I had no idea what was happening.  I was at a coffee house the next day and a lady came up to me, a total stranger, and said "I've got a book out in the car you've got to read."  She brought it back, it was a book on kundalini rising.  I read it that night and sent it back to her.  All my questions and confusion were gone.

How does a total stranger 'see' that which needs to be seen in another?  It is a transcendental vision.  Surely you've had those experiences, my woke friend.  People 'recognize' me and I recognize them.  Somehow, it doesn't take but a couple words coming out of their mouth and it's 'felt' immediately.  Kind of like the tumblers of a lock sink into place.

• Like 2