Empty Cloud

Rooting

To practice being rooted energetically, I've read and heard that one must practice visualizing one's energy spreading through ones feet like roots into the ground. But what if I'm on a second, third or 83rd floor? What would I be rooting or rooted into? Would you suggest I visualize my energy reaching all the way down into the earth or vice versa?

I do some squats...

or I do "earth shaking" with is something I learned in KAP... have been loving it!

basically it's a mix between horse stance and a squat...

just go down so your in horse stance and then bounce up and down!

Do that for 10 or 20 minutes.

I wondered the same thing as you in regards to being above ground level... and i find doing something physical is better than just mentally visualizing something! Or you can always visualize WHILE your doing the physical!!

• Like 1

Another way I've read of looking at this is

in that same way that some martial arts teachers will say to punch through the object or a target behind the object -- to stand through the floor, so you're pushing against the gravity from under the floor.

Just be careful as it might feel like you're going to break the floor as if all the weight is focused on a dot or something. Stranger things have happened..

To practice being rooted energetically, I've read and heard that one must practice visualizing one's energy spreading through ones feet like roots into the ground. But what if I'm on a second, third or 83rd floor? What would I be rooting or rooted into? Would you suggest I visualize my energy reaching all the way down into the earth or vice versa?

There is the aspect of rooting where you are connecting with the earth.

There is also the aspect of simply learning to extend out beyond yourself.

You can practice the latter no matter how far from the earth you are.

When you are skillful you can achieve the former no matter how far from the earth you are.

Also, practice extending in other directions - upward, outward, inward.

Good stuff

My teacher says rooting will happen automatically...first learn to suspend from the crown point. One technique that fine tuned rooting for me is the three nails technique aught by william cc chen and his students, also i dont visualize anything, if your standing the chi ill sink on its own

You can't root if you are not breathing from your belly

sending your breath into the ground through your feet.

Edited by mYTHmAKER

Normally speaking about rooting to the ground, only if you were standing on the ground. If you are standing on the floor, then you would be rooting to the floor. The purpose of rooting is to set your feet firmly to what ever is below your feet to establish a good foundation for the body. Another word, your are trying to stand still as a mountain to keep yourself stay put and balanced. Even though there was an external influence trying to push you away, your feet still lock to the floor or ground and don't move an inch. Rooting is the basic stance for all martial art. If you are a practitioner of TaiJi, you should have no problem with rooting yourself to the ground or floor.

You can't root if you are not breathing from your belly

sending your breath into the ground through your feet.

Exactly, there is one more thing you need to do is to contract all the legs muscles and bend the knees by sending all the body weights to the legs. Then, your feet and legs should feel locked tight to the ground.

Edited to add:

FYI...

The purpose of Zhan Zhuang(站庄) was the practice for rooting.

Edited by ChiDragon

Exactly, there is one more thing you need to do is to contract all the legs muscles and

:blink: :blink: ????

Oh well...after all, everyone can say everything about everything! :D

words! words! words!

Edited by bubbles

Exactly, there is one more thing you need to do is to contract all the legs muscles and bend the knees by sending all the body weights to the legs. Then, your feet and legs should feel locked tight to the ground.

Edited to add:

FYI...

The purpose of Zhan Zhuang(站庄) was the practice for rooting.

I don't contract my leg muscles.

Relax - relax - relax = song

• Like 1

Maybe grounding?

:blink: :blink: ????

Oh well...after all, everyone can say everything about everything! :D

words! words! words!

Words do convey a message. If the message was not conveyed, then the words are no longer words. ;)

I don't contract my leg muscles.

Relax - relax - relax = song

Yes, you are at the Yin state. Wait til somebody pushes you, you will switch to the Yang state, spontaneously, with the leg muscles contracted to defend yourself to counteract the external force.

Words do convey a message. If the message was not conveyed, then the words are no longer words. ;)

When the message does not coincide with a reality, words are empty. I bet that no one an contract all the muscles of the legs (as you advised it) more than a very few minutes. Instead of rooting, your posture will be rotten! :lol:

with this kind of advice, something is rotten in the state of zhan zhuang..

• Like 1

ChiDragon,

I have a request. When you post your opinions, please cite your sources, the extent of your personal practical experience, name your teachers, or else state "it seems to me that..." or "I have this belief that..." or some such. Please, clearly state the facts -- e.g., "such and such master told me that..." or "such and such teacher showed me this..." or "such and such website has a post where I got this idea that..." or "I never practiced this, but if I did, I believe actual practice would have corroborated my theories..." and so on.

Many thanks in advance.

• Like 2

When the message does not coincide with a reality, words are empty. I bet that no one an contract all the muscles of the legs (as you advised it) more than a very few minutes. Instead of rooting, your posture will be rotten! :lol:

with this kind of advice, something is rotten in the state of zhan zhuang..

It seems to me somebody is missing something in zhan zhuang. :blink:

ChiDragon,

I have a request. When you post your opinions, please cite your sources, the extent of your personal practical experience, name your teachers, or else state "it seems to me that..." or "I have this belief that..." or some such. Please, clearly state the facts -- e.g., "such and such master told me that..." or "such and such teacher showed me this..." or "such and such website has a post where I got this idea that..." or "I never practiced this, but if I did, I believe actual practice would have corroborated my theories..." and so on.

Many thanks in advance.

Thanks for the advice, but this is all common knowledge in the martial arts industry. Why one has to go through all the referencec and credentials. If people don't understand the basic fundamental concepts, then, I think I am talking to the wrong crowd.

Thanks for the advice, but this is all common knowledge in the martial arts industry. Why one has to go through all the referencec and credentials. If people don't understand the basic fundamental concepts, then, I think I am talking to the wrong crowd.

This is such an easy answer ChiDragon, the emperor has no clothes now

Rooting by contracting all the muscles in the legs?

Have you actually tried this ChiDragon? Standing in a Zhan Zhuang posture for 20-30 mins and contracting all of your leg muscles the whole time?

Many Kung Fu masters would practice Zhan Zhuang for hours, and let me tell you, you categorically do NOT build interal force through tensing the whole time! In fact its the exact opposite.

You'll know for yourself when you finish a relaxed Zhan Zhuang session, practiced in the correct manner, and you feel full of power that has NOTHING to do with muscular tension.

Rooting by contracting all the muscles in the legs?

Have you actually tried this ChiDragon? Standing in a Zhan Zhuang posture for 20-30 mins and contracting all of your leg muscles the whole time?

Many Kung Fu masters would practice Zhan Zhuang for hours, and let me tell you, you categorically do NOT build interal force through tensing the whole time! In fact its the exact opposite.

You'll know for yourself when you finish a relaxed Zhan Zhuang session, practiced in the correct manner, and you feel full of power that has NOTHING to do with muscular tension.

Let me ask this:

Do you bend your knees too when you do Zhan Zhuang....??? If you do, your legs muscles will be contracted spontaneously. Please don't tell me this is not true.

Edited by ChiDragon

Let me ask this:

Do you bend your knees too when you do Zhan Zhuang....??? If you do, your legs muscles will be contracted spontaneously. Please don't tell me this is not true.

If you bend the knees, SOMEmuscles will be contracted but not :

- ALL and not

- in an intentional and deliberate manner as you have stated it in your post earlier

Just admit that you don't know, it will still be an honorable exit..

Edited by bubbles