ffvii

Yin Yang

Please don't quote me out of context to change the meaning of my post.

Let me clarify in case you misunderstood. Perhaps I was not as clear as I thought.

Man is not 100% Yang and Woman is not 100% Yin, that is the meaning of my use of ≠.

All human beings have Yin and Yang aspects.

There are women with very strong Yang energy and men with very strong Yin energy.

All possible variations exist.

You are unsuccessfully trying to oversimplify the nature of man/woman/Yin/Yang to support your ideas about homosexuality.

Perhaps I know nothing about Yin and Yang, that's certainly possible. I am not an authority on anything, other than perhaps wasting time on the computer.

:lol:

But I do question your grasp of Daoist ideology in its entirety based on your comment:

That is about as far from Daoist ideology as I can imagine.

Would you care to elaborate on this conclusion and where it comes from?

I'm hearing and agreeing with you Steve.

:D

"You are unsuccessfully trying to oversimplify the nature of... to support your ideas about..."

Funny how that keeps happening. I think sometimes if I could stop doing that and do it the other way. That my ideas would properly accord with nature. Would be a hell of a lot easier.

Well, not really " funny ", but hopefully you get my drift.

"You are unsuccessfully trying to oversimplify the nature of... to support your ideas about..."

Funny how that keeps happening. I think sometimes if I could stop doing that and do it the other way. That my ideas would properly accord with nature. Would be a hell of a lot easier.

Well, not really " funny ", but hopefully you get my drift.

I certainly do, I think it has to do with our tendency to look for ways to have reality support our opinions and biases rather than letting those go and looking straight into the truth.

• Like 1

Exactly! So what techniques/modes/practices have we come up with to do that?

We could have a neat list:-)

Exactly! So what techniques/modes/practices have we come up with to do that?

We could have a neat list:-)

I'll start - this is a topic close to my heart.

This is about the skill of 'listening'

I got this from reading and listening to J Krishnamurti and Anthony Demello primarily though I'm sure it's not unique to them.

When we 'listen,' we typically do a few things -

1) Have in mind an opinion or idea of whatever it is the speaker is addressing

2) Compare what the speaker is saying to our opinion or bias and either agree or disagree

3) And as soon as we have determined that we agree or disagree, nothing else penetrates

4) We then focus on counter-arguments to defend our position and try to convince the speaker of our position

5) And we are thinking of things that reinforce our position - it's a very closed and defensive posture of the mind

So in reality, we rarely listen in a way that fosters learning, sharing, or collaboration.

Another method for listening is to first empty our mind of preconceived notions, opinions, ideas, expectations, or objectives.

Is this possible? If you spend the time working at it you will find out for yourself.

Don't take my word for it, don't agree or disagree, just open yourself to the possibility.

If you can do that, you are already heading in the right direction.

So - I can open myself to what is being presented - listen to the words, read the body language, take in the surroundings, feel the intent and non-verbal clues in the presentation. I can listen from a relaxed and receiving posture rather than from a position of opinion, bias, response, the closed and defensive posture. And then I can just absorb what is being presented and see how it settles in me and how i relate to it. I can try it on for size, I can actually put it on trial in my life. See how it works, see if it holds up to investigation. Then I can choose whether it works for me or not. It is my choice based on my own personal examination. I know, rather than believe. I am not accepting something based on a perception of authority, I am choosing based on direct experience.

So if I listen with my ideas and opinions and bias, I am listening from a perspective of all of my conditioning and automated patterns of behavior and response. But if I can be successful at listening without the distraction of all of that then "I" am no longer in the way. There is just listening. And that's when the magic can happen.

I'll add "scientific method" but IMO (hehehe) it has to be freakin clear and use pretty much what Steve just suggested.

I'll add "body awareness" because IME/IMO i can fool my mind, but my body has pretty much the evidence "incarnate":-) IME it's hugely tolerant of me but will ( and does) cut me down to size when i do too much. I should add it also goes further than i think:-)

But you would be trying to tell us that Yin actually denotes the sun and Yang denotes ... what? ... the moon???

No,...that's not what I said. I said the Sun is Yang,...but it's radiation is Yin. Every Yang has a harmoneous balanced interchange with Yin. The Sun's yin (radiation) is equal to the Sun's yang (generativeness). It is yin that is moving away from form, as yang moves towards it.

What does "sunlight" look like outside of Earth's atmosphere? It's part of Dark, cold, Space,...it's Yin.

What color is the sky? Is it really blue? What color is a ripe banana? Is it really yellow?

Humanity "desperately twists reality to conform to its Human-centric ideology."

V

What does "sunlight" look like outside of Earth's atmosphere? It's part of Dark, cold, Space,...it's Yin.

What color is the sky? Is it really blue? What color is a ripe banana? Is it really yellow?

Humanity "desperately twists reality to conform to its Human-centric ideology."

V

Sunlight doesn't look light or dark ... but when it interacts with things it lights and heats them ... I'm not sure why you are saying it is 'part of' Dark Space ... its a vibratory energy in space surely.

The sky appears blue because of refracted sunlight which is heavy in the blue part of spectrum. You could ask really is there any such thing as the sky as it is just an optical effect. But we look up and see the edge of the earth atmosphere and call it sky ... we don't have to say what it is every time we say sky. Interestingly here in Portugal they say 'ceu' for both sky and heaven ... they don't distinguish the way we do in English (or A. Egyptian for that matter 'pt' = sky, 'Nwt' = sky goddess).

A banana is green, goes yellow, then dark brown ... when its ripe depends on when you like to eat it I guess.

I'll add "body awareness" because IME/IMO i can fool my mind, but my body has pretty much the evidence "incarnate":-) IME it's hugely tolerant of me but will ( and does) cut me down to size when i do too much.

Good point - body awareness is very valuable and something I've come to late. Tai Ji Quan and meditation have helped develop that a lot for me. It's something I did not take to naturally - too wrapped up in the head for too many years.

I should add it also goes further than i think:-)

Oh yeah, quite a bit further than we realize.

Perhaps as far as we can think.

;)

From my point of view, it is you who are desperately twisting reality to conform to your ideology,...an ideology founded on a humanistic point of view, instead of a point of view of what you're obseving.

Well that was to be expected :lol:

For the rest of your comment, you have become WAY to complicated and contrived in your view (just in my uneducated opinion of course).

You have set upon the course of righting the wrong of what patriarchy has done to matriarchy ... good for you ;). But in your efforts to do so you are literally doing exactly what you are accusing patriarchy of doing ... you are rearranging the male/female associations to support your ideology.

On top of this you are casting quite a large insult at anyone who thinks differently implying that we/they are somehow morally corrupt, thus you are indulging in bigotry.

Life is simple matey, I prefer to keep it that way.

The character for Yin, 陰, literally means the shady side of a hill. It's dark and it's cool.

The character for Yang, 陽, literally means the sunny side of a hill. It's light and it's warm.

The dark, cool element in life is water ☵. It seeks the lowest places.

The light, warm element in life is fire ☲. It seeks the highest places.

However, if fire is above water in the hexagram format the result is the inauspicious 未濟 (wèi jì):

70px-Iching-hexagram-64.svg.png

Fire naturally rises and water naturally sinks therefore the two elements are moving away from each other and thus harmony and union is not achieved.

The auspicious arrangement is 既濟 (jì jì):

70px-Iching-hexagram-63.svg.png

Here, with fire rising from underneath and water sinking from above, the two primordial forces of Yin and Yang meet, have union and creation follows.

Thus this gnowledge of universal Yin and Yang tells us that the most auspicious order is for the feminine to be on top of the masculine (literally in the arts of sexual cultivation).

[Those who practice neidan will recognize the importance here in the relationship of Kan and Li.]

So you see Vmarco, you don't need to try and rearrange Yin and Yang away from it's traditional use because, as you can see here, the traditional use actually supports the idea of matriarchy.

;)

Edited by Stigweard
  • Like 2

Look at the human genitalia (stop that Marblehead !!! :P).

When stimulated for the act of creation:

The male genitalia, Yang, projects, penetrates, and points upwards (except in old men ... sorry marbles the devil made me say it :P)

Hehehe. You know that I will get even with you for that when you least expect it, don't you?

Actually, I see Yin as the valley of rest and piece.

Did I misspell that last word?

Hehehe. You know that I will get even with you for that when you least expect it, don't you?

Actually, I see Yin as the valley of rest and piece.

Did I misspell that last word?

Hahahaha!!! I am banking on it :D

And yes that would be "peace" :P

Well that was to be expected :lol:

For the rest of your comment, you have become WAY to complicated and contrived in your view (just in my uneducated opinion of course).

You have set upon the course of righting the wrong of what patriarchy has done to matriarchy ... good for you ;). But in your efforts to do so you are literally doing exactly what you are accusing patriarchy of doing ... you are rearranging the male/female associations to support your ideology.

On top of this you are casting quite a large insult at anyone who thinks differently implying that we/they are somehow morally corrupt, thus you are indulging in bigotry.

Life is simple matey, I prefer to keep it that way.

The character for Yin, 陰, literally means the shady side of a hill. It's dark and it's cool.

The character for Yang, 陽, literally means the sunny side of a hill. It's light and it's warm.

The dark, cool element in life is water ☵. It seeks the lowest places.

The light, warm element in life is fire ☲. It seeks the highest places.

However, if fire is above water in the hexagram format the result is the inauspicious 未濟 (wèi jì):

70px-Iching-hexagram-64.svg.png

Fire naturally rises and water naturally sinks therefore the two elements are moving away from each other and thus harmony and union is not achieved.

The auspicious arrangement is 既濟 (jì jì):

70px-Iching-hexagram-63.svg.png

Here, with fire rising from underneath and water sinking from above, the two primordial forces of Yin and Yang meet, have union and creation follows.

Thus this gnowledge of universal Yin and Yang tells us that the most auspicious order is for the feminine to be on top of the masculine (literally in the arts of sexual cultivation).

[Those who practice neidan will recognize the importance here in the relationship of Kan and Li.]

So you see Vmarco, you don't need to try and rearrange Yin and Yang away from it's traditional use because, as you can see here, the traditional use actually supports the idea of matriarchy.

;)

Vmarco,

I applaud you championing the feminine spirit. It quite honestly and truthfully needs to happen to bring some balance back into human progress.

And it is true that Laozi's Daoist philosophy truly honors the feminine principle.

I am quite sure though that you can progress your argument without your false associations of Yin and Yang. But you have for the second time now run away from my discussions on Yin and Yang. I can only wonder why.

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/20207-yin-yang/page__view__findpost__p__287241

;)

Edited by Stigweard

You have set upon the course of righting the wrong of what patriarchy has done to matriarchy ... good for you ;).

I am quite sure though that you can progress your argument without your false associations of Yin and Yang. But you have for the second time now run away from my discussions on Yin and Yang. I can only wonder why.

http://www.thetaobum...post__p__287241

Yes,...it is quite difficult to recognize something one has spent a great deal studying as meaningless. I have no desire to change the wrongs of the partiarchy,...but merely call a spade a spade.

My interest in this topic was in seeing if you could recognize the false as the false.

As for running away from discussions? You brought the discussion here. I like the discussion. In fact, I'm very curious why you see things the way you do,...and why you have a problem putting yourself into the shoes of what you're discussing,...for example, to see yang or yin from yang or yin's point of view?

What I'm even more curious about, is if you ever open to see the points of my above posts on the nature of Yang-Yin, I so much want to hear why you were seeing it upsidedown to begin with. For me, that would be such an awesome gift,...to read of someone finally realizing, such as, that Yin is radiative, moving away, radial motion,...and inquire as to why they couldn't see something so obvious before.

V

Stigweard...

I'll reserve my comments. I don't want to be "know-it-all".... :D

To prevent: 天下不太平..... :wacko:

Edited by ChiDragon

Is there any situation or thing to which the Yin Yang does not apply to?

Yin and yang are in everything and everywhere. There is yin in yang and there is yang in yin. There yang in yang and there is yin in yin. What does it matter? All that matters is that there is Tao. The Tao is not friend to either. It is what is. It is what is cause the Tao is the Tao. The Tao is everything so it applys to everything. Yin and yang just follow. Yin and yang are the natural manifestations of the Tao cause we are the observable universe. It is just a illusion of the one reality. The one truth. Tao.

Edited by Z3N