oat1239

Thoughts, like blowing leaves

If you don't know what it is, how can you them claim to find 'it'? Since you never knew what you were looking for in the first place.

Hey, just be creative. I found this stone and within it is contained the information for the processes of the entire universe.

Yourself is right there:-) Or in my case right here:-)

Take off the stories "about" yourself (includes the ones other people have told you or that you have inferred as a result of interacting with them)

And...you're there. Or here in my case.

And once you're done taking them off, well you can have a larger say in the ones you keep:-)

I've been doing meditation practice a lot more these days. I've been trying to just be aware of the flow of air in and out of my nose.

I've been surprised about a few things like....

Just how damn many thoughts I have running through my head. There's a whole cascade of them in there! Like a blizzard.

Also how damn hard it is to keep focused on just being aware of my breathing. I do not know how the hell it happens but sometimes a thought or reverie will come up and I'll kinda get swept up in it. Then something snaps...it's like waking up in a daze and I'll be shocked wondering how the hell did THAT happen?! I don't even remember getting swept up in the reverie...it just happens. :huh:

I notice that as my breathing gets softer and slower the blizzard of thoughts gets softer or quieter. There's still tons of them there but they do get softer or quieter. On a few rare occasions a few tiny moments of no thoughts pops up here and there. But those moments are rare.

I'm trying hard to "have the mind of a beginner" like Zen teachers recommend. It's not easy to keep Beginner's Mind.

I've been doing meditation practice a lot more these days. I've been trying to just be aware of the flow of air in and out of my nose.

Just how damn many thoughts I have running through my head. There's a whole cascade of them in there! Like a blizzard.

Also how damn hard it is to keep focused on just being aware of my breathing. I do not know how the hell it happens but sometimes a thought or reverie will come up and I'll kinda get swept up in it. Then something snaps...it's like waking up in a daze and I'll be shocked wondering how the hell did THAT happen?! I don't even remember getting swept up in the reverie...it just happens. :huh:

I notice that as my breathing gets softer and slower the blizzard of thoughts gets softer or quieter. There's still tons of them there but they do get softer or quieter. On a few rare occasions a few tiny moments of no thoughts pops up here and there. But those moments are rare.

I'm trying hard to "have the mind of a beginner" like Zen teachers recommend. It's not easy to keep Beginner's Mind.

Keep at it...the gap will increase...then the true self will appear....just dont be hard on yourself for drifting...

I feel an energy that is like an infinite number of happy bees buzzing around an infinite number of lovely flowers on an infinite number of revolving planets orbiting an infinite number of life giving suns spinning around in an infinite number of galaxies floating around in an infinite number of universes...

And then there is the outside of that.

you must see into the minds of others,

What a horrible thought! I fear that there are many things in the mind of others that I really don't want to see. (I have a few ghosts I wouldn't want anyone to see.)

If you don't mind a suggestion...

Rather than your normal meditation, try "listening" to music. Put together a playlist of relaxing music you enjoy. Put on a pair of headphones (or earphones) and just listen to the music. Don't think, just listen to the music and let it flow over you. If you need to, sing along with the music, but the key is to listen and let it flow. When you are really listening, you will notice that the music actually gets loader (and the thoughts quiet). :)

Have a great weekend.

:)

Like water lost in the sea.

If only water had a GPS device...

but water doesn't navigate, does it? It just goes with the flows.

If only water had a GPS device...

but water doesn't navigate, does it? It just goes with the flows.

I think of "lost water in the sea" when I hear people talk as if they are completely separate from everything. It is merely a thought; a metaphor.

The lost water got old and slow and then was gone.

Perhaps it will rain today in certain places.

Edited by zanshin

The lost water got old and slow and then was gone.

The life of people is that way too.

The processes are what they are.

I'm sure it will rain somewhere today although I'm not expecting any.

It sounds like you are doing well. Just gently bring your attention back to your breath when you realize you drifted off into thoughts and don't worry about it (it's normal), and stay relaxed and keep going. Also, just observe and avoid trying to draw any conclusions, during or after. What we might think is going on or not going on at any point as we practice meditation over time is just more thoughts. More clutter. Let those thoughts go as well. Just continue to observe and avoid trying to analyze what might be going on from day to day and week to week and month to month, etc. This would seem to be the essence of meditation as is described from various traditional sources. In the West we tend to want to analyze everything to pieces, but that takes us away from meditation, IMO. It seems it is about letting go and just experiencing and observing (or not) without any attempt at all at directing or judging or analyzing and without expectations. Well, that is how I understand the essence of what is written in some traditional writings on meditation practice anyway. :)

It sounds like you are doing well. Just gently bring your attention back to your breath when you realize you drifted off into thoughts and don't worry about it (it's normal), and stay relaxed and keep going. Also, just observe and avoid trying to draw any conclusions, during or after. What we might think is going on or not going on at any point as we practice meditation over time is just more thoughts. More clutter. Let those thoughts go as well. Just continue to observe and avoid trying to analyze what might be going on from day to day and week to week and month to month, etc. This would seem to be the essence of meditation as is described from various traditional sources. In the West we tend to want to analyze everything to pieces, but that takes us away from meditation, IMO. It seems it is about letting go and just experiencing and observing (or not) without any attempt at all at directing or judging or analyzing and without expectations. Well, that is how I understand the essence of what is written in some traditional writings on meditation practice anyway. :)

This is why I stopped keeping a meditation journal. It just got in the way and actually spoiled my practice.

I was always looking to disect, judge, analyze and try to understand my meditations. It became a burden.

One day I just let go of all of it and just let the experience be. I never wrote another word in my journal.