bodyoflight

can't you see the gods can take away your family, your children, your wealth, your health, even your sexual abilities anytime they want to?

I've always found this type of comment to be rather interesting. Very often, I have seen it come from the same emotional space that many others deride- yet it is cloaked in civil niceties, and strategically places the ball on the other person's court.

"I know you like to insult, you can do it if you want, but I am not, and I think you should try to match me, if you can't, that's okay, it's just something I can do and you cannot, oh but you are free to try, and if you fail, you'll just prove me right. Now the gauntlet has been thrown- if you rebel, you prove me right that you're immature. If you rise to my challenge, you are doing what I want you to do. Either way, I win, hahahaha."

Maybe I'm just projecting.

Perhaps I should have used the word - invite, rather than challenge.

I think I've connected to those who share my feelings and I know better than to try and convince anyone who doesn't.

I do appreciate your comments, Sloppy, but I think we've beat this horse enough.

You guys are all just a bunch of assholes.

I'll try to play nice.

:lol:

Just kidding mods, couldn't resist a little levity.

I'm out!

And I also think it's important for those who consider themselves Daoist oriented to see the Sage as a model. My bet is that he would always take the high road in getting his point across.

Well, yes, if you don't consider some of the moods Chuang Tzu expressed in his writings. Hehehe.

My understanding of Taoism is it is a way of being un-contrived, to apply this to posting on the internet would be to just post what's on your mind, your first reactions, not to censor what you reply, not to go back and edit it and if it offends someone you are better off apologising for that after the event rather than micro editing your interactions with people, which is just a form of contriving your reply into an unnatural response trying to create a contrived image rather than trusting in your spontaneous response. I'm still working on this myself, if working on being un-contrived is even possible :wacko:

Nice observation. Yeah, we need to clean up our mind so our thoughts don't come out dirty. But we should allow them to come out naturally.

I know, it's ridiculous.

Whether or not folks agree on the thread's original point, it has been derailed by personal arguments.

This seems to be the norm now on the forums.

The quality of content has nosedived. There isn't much original material about, just re-hashed old topics.

Hi Lifeforce,

I disagree. The OP was discussed. Many members got tired of the subject in the OP and we started talking about something that was of concern at the time. Real life conversations go that way too. Nothing wrong here.

Excellent! Thanks for the share.

I agree very much with (what I interpret as the meaning of) the quotes you included.

I'm curious to see what your interpretation is. Would you be willing to pen a quick summary of how you understand these words?

I'm happy you gave the time to read. Very nice.

I've written many, many things on the inner meaning of dependent origination, but it really just means clear awareness free from objects as well as itself. There's a lucidity, a feeling of fresh energy as the body doesn't hold tension anymore than necessary, so there is flow. The inner meaning is defined as a state of spontaneously instant presence, recognizing endlessness and beginninglessness.

I guess it depends on the context, how it is defined. There are specific words in Tibetan, but I can't remember them right now. I'm trying to look them up... but, I don't know how to spell them.

There are specific words in Tibetan, but I can't remember them right now. I'm trying to look them up... but, I don't know how to spell them.

Spontaneous presence, naked awareness, effortlessly free from contrivance, that's Rigpa, with the flip-side of this state, clouded by afflictive tendencies..Ma Rigpa. Though I am not sure if you're searching for other terms besides this one... :)

'Rigpa' as per Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigpa

Spontaneous presence, naked awareness, effortlessly free from contrivance, that's Rigpa, with the flip-side of this state, clouded by afflictive tendencies..Ma Rigpa. Though I am not sure if you're searching for other terms besides this one... :)

'Rigpa' as per Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigpa

Thanks Buddhi,

But yes, I was searching for words like Lundrup and other such words. Maybe you can find these words with their proper transliterated spelling?

HA! It's in your link... "Ka dag (primordial purity) is the Dzogchen term for emptiness. Lhun grub (natural formation) is the Dzogchen term for dependent origination,"

Actually yes, that's a good thing to read, that link you supplied, thanks man.

;)

Edited by Vajrahridaya

I'm happy you gave the time to read. Very nice.

I've written many, many things on the inner meaning of dependent origination, but it really just means clear awareness free from objects as well as itself. There's a lucidity, a feeling of fresh energy as the body doesn't hold tension anymore than necessary, so there is flow. The inner meaning is defined as a state of spontaneously instant presence, recognizing endlessness and beginninglessness.

I guess it depends on the context, how it is defined. There are specific words in Tibetan, but I can't remember them right now. I'm trying to look them up... but, I don't know how to spell them.

Thank you for obliging. After you wrote the following:

Very good! I would venture to say that "ignorance" in Buddhism has to do with not even intellectually understanding "right view" the first of the 8 fold noble path of the Buddhas. This really means not seeing the internal meaning of dependent origination/emptiness, a deceptively profound truth about the nature of things.

I wanted to see what that "internal meaning" was. Thanks again.

Edited by Otis

Regarding the question of insults, I think it's worthwhile looking to the twin virtues of Taoism: courage and caring.

Caring without courage is pretty ineffectual; nothing gets done. And if I have courage without caring, I might just be an a-hole, running roughshod over others because their happiness is not important to me.

If either virtue is not there, then the action is not in balance.

Thank you for obliging. After you wrote the following:

I wanted to see what that "internal meaning" was. Thanks again.

Textually speaking it would be the Dzogchen view or "Kadag" for Emptiness and "Lhungrub" for dependent origination which means the recognition or "Rigpa" or direct inference of the primordial purity of the natural arising of everything. Dzogchen is all about the internal meaning of the original teachings of the Buddha. And, you're welcome. :)