ralis

Free Speech and Moderator Action

Well I 'disagree. What threads like this are doing they create a skewed picture of moderators' work. If we want to evaluate their job that should be done in a fair fashion. This is what Taomeow tried to do, some sort of evaluation.

If you are only critical of a person guess what is going to happen? Even the one with the thickest skin will break down. DO you really want that? Could that be a goal of those who keep feeding threads like this?

You must have missed this post of mine on page 4...

Anyway that incident is basically the only thing that really confuses me about the moderation here. Other than that I think they're fairly invisible, and helpful. Also, I like each moderator personally (not like that fact matters).

So yeah, obviously I don't want anyone to break down. This is a tame discussion. If you feel it's not, those are your own feelings.

Taomeow,

I hope I didn't go overboard, I was rushed and in a hurry to put in a good word for Mal, is all. I did't call anyone a 3-year-old though, I am pretty sure I never do, I usually say "behave like" -- which describes a moment in time, a description of a particular act as perceived by me, not of personality. In any event, no disrespect was intended. I'm prone to metaphors, is all. (I'm a slightly published author... that's my excuse for the use of metaphors.)

It's all good, I know you enjoy writing like that. But I hope you weren't too hurried when considering what I said in response...

I'm stunned that people take this so seriously. This is a forum, not a community that we are forced to live in. Are we seriously comparing internet forum moderators to dictators who control all aspects of people's lives and can kill or torture human beings on a whim? If people think that moderators have some sort of power because they can control internet postings or ban screen names, then it sounds like they need to spend some time off-line to re-ground.

:mellow:

:D

Internet communities work in mysterious ways...

IMHO, it's not a bad thing to have members so passionate about a website/forum that they expend so much energy and time towards it (even something that seems superfluous). From a businessman perspective, I'd love to have such an active and passionate community. But I think it speaks volumes towards how "special" TTB truly is. It takes a unique mixture of right people and right energy for something to click the way this has (especially on such a niche theme as TTB is).

If someone were to ask me why I used to frequent TTB, well...so frequently, it was because there was practically no moderation to speak of and from what i saw, there was no need for moderation...but then the e-Sangha crowd invaded...

tongue.gif

I still think that the degree of moderation here is minimal to negligible (which means in my mind, they are doing a great job). We shoudn't forget that TTB is a web service that has to abide by certain rules (I have rules on my website...we call it the terms of usage) and anyone who has issues with them (rules) should exercise free will and move elsewhere (or abstain from doing things that violate those rules).

• Like 4

Everyone,

I’ve been re-reading this thread as well as some of the others and the distress caused to the members here by these decisions is my fault. Not the other moderators.

I have made decisions that have directly resulted in distress to members.

I have made decisions that undermined trust in moderation.

I have made decisions that continue to disrupt the forum.

I am sorry for this.

While I have posted my reasons for these decisions, I have been overly focused trying to express my side. I should have been focused on the feedback and the negative impact my decisions have had.

My actions are not helping anyone.

So, I have asked Sean to permanently remove my ability to suspend or ban people. Given my past actions I don't think it's in the best interest of TTB for me to have access to these functions.

When I became a moderator Sean encouraged us to take on a leadership roll in this community. As anyone who knows me will tell you, I’m not a leader.

I hope you can accept my sincere apology for fucking this up.

Mal

Mal,

Evolution is a fact of life that has allowed us humans to rise above other animals.

Evolution is breaking out of the egg into outer space.

Simply put, We take one step back to take two steps foward.

What is obvious is that you and Sigwerd have done your best for this first step.

As a Research & Development Chemist my first lesson, as a professional, was to learn that the true value, of research, lay in learning "what not to do" as it points the way better for "what to do".

Think about it... I'm from the mountains in USA where one wrong step and a person would never rise up again. I know it takes balls to walk the cliff to see all but the all that is seen will tell of danger or benefits that lay at the bottom and ahead.

Mal, you and Stigweard have been at the forefront of TTB's evolutionary process. No screw-up. Just simply following the laws of nature - the TAO.

Edited by Alfred E

Everyone,

Hi Mal,

A very gracious post.

I want to thank you for all the hard work you have put into the operation of this board. Please keep up the good work.

You havent fucked anything up. Do you think there is anyone alive who gets 100% positive votes, !00% of the time? Unpossibles!

Not pleasing all of the people, all of the time, doesnt equate to fucking up.

(If it did, then even Doris Day and Prince fucked up:o... see, it just cant be true..)

Everyone here has a sense of humour, wide perspective, and compassion and knows how much hard work and time and heart you put into this place.

Moderating is a controversial thing, always. Just like Moose have horns, moderating has controversy.

Head above parapet and all that.

xxx

Agreed -

In a timeline, we had to screw up before the moderators could screw up.

My opinion is that it was not the moderators - it was the method.

An on-site Ignore button alternative ?

And I would likewise hope that the members who are attacking the moderators would except my challenge of examining their desire for revenge because they have personal "issues" with said moderators.

For example, rookie you are gunning for me. How much of your campaign is powered by the fact that you and I have had very heated and very personal arguments with each other before I became a moderator? Are you truly being honest with everybody here?

And I will extend that challenge to certain of the other members on the moderator warpath. Some of you I know have been recipients of our actions. Most of those actions are 100% justified and I am sure if we publicly aired the evidence then all members would agree that our actions were appropriate.

Some actions however, as we can see, are questionable and need to be reviewed. If, under that review, an action is deemed incorrect then I know that appropriate actions will be taken to both make reparations and to make sure such an error won't happen again.

We all need to be more accountable and responsible -- moderators included.

:D

Stig,

I don't recall ever having a major disagreement with you.

I don't always agree with you, but this is the first time I can recall ever challenging you.

I am not "gunning" for you as much as I am challenging anyone who would want to exercise power and control over others. This is context specific.

Hope you are well.

You havent fucked anything up. Do you think there is anyone alive who gets 100% positive votes, !00% of the time? Unpossibles!

(If it did, then even Doris Day and Prince fucked up:o... see, it just cant be true..)

Everyone here has a sense of humour, wide perspective, and compassion and knows how much hard work and time and heart you put into this place.

Moderating is a controversial thing, always. Just like Moose have horns, moderating has controversy.

Agreed.

Mal, I think it's a real shame that you feel bullied enough to ask for your removal from the moderator list due to a handful of members who time and time again forget their manners and who seem to consider it their right to act it out like l'enfant terrible when asked to abide by the guidelines. You're intensions are pure and your judgement is good: Nobody's perfect, but in my opinion you are one the few people keeping this site sane - I fear that it will be heading south from here. I can't blame you though for wanting out given all the personal attacks - I probably wouldn't stand for this either and by now I wonder why a bunch of these members didn't get ejected for personally insulting you during this raid.

Sean, I would be interested to hear how you feel about this whole thing although I can also imagine you're probably getting worn down by the constant bickering...

Be well my friends.

Edited by devoid
  • Like 1

Agreed.

Wow... I had no idea tell I started reading the whole thread. That this had become such a big thing. Mal you are a good guy... No one else will do any better.... Moderation just sucks and always messes up forums....

If there is going to be moderation on this forum no one is going to do it better...

When I first got here, I thought it was one of the special things about it, that is didn't have any moderation...

There is no need for it. It always takes away from a forum... People are to thinned skinned these days. Can't go crying every time someone calls you a bad word, this is not the play ground." Good Lord"...

And that is right on Mal " you can please some of the people some of the time, but not all the people all the time" Just tell them to get over it. You got a shit detail... Moderation stinks. But you don't... Your a good guy...blush.gif Take care Melanie

I probably wouldn't stand for this either and by now I wonder why a bunch of these members didn't get ejected for personally insulting you during this raid.

Who personally insulted Mal?

There are moderation guidelines. Everyone here has followed them, so there is no reason for anyone to be ejected.

Sean, I would be interested to hear how you feel about this whole thing although I can also imagine you're probably getting worn down by the constant bickering...

Yeah, maybe people should stop sharing their opinions about this forum, because it's making Sean feel worn down. Our incessant "bickering" is just too much to handle! UGH. :rolleyes:

Meh, I don't have anything to say except that you guys have become a bunch of drama queens. :lol:

• Like 1