Alfred E

Understanding the Tao

Hi, I've been studying the Tao for awhile and think I have an understanding but I learned a long time ago that 2 heads are better than one. Could 3 heads make the topic a genius ? :D

The books that I've almost memorized are of course the classics from China:

'The Secret of the Golden Flower' My link , 'The Jade Emperor's Mind Seal Classic', My link

Tao Te Ching, My link

The Pocket I Ching, http://www.librarything.com/work/4572852

and not from China but written by a Chinese -still living - 'Cultivating Stillness' by Eva Wong My link

I's an open topic so feel free to feel free ! It is about understanding and doing - essentialy Learning.

Edited by Alfred E

From the book "The complete works Lao Tzu"

Translated by Hua-Ching Ni

Tao Teh Ching: Seventy

=================================

My words are very easy to understand

and easy to practice,

yet the world can neither understand

nor practice them.

My words have only one source:

the subtle truth of the universe.

My deeds have only one master:

the natural virtue of the universe.

The people of the world have no knowledge of this.

Thus, they have no knowledge of me.

The fewer the persons that know me,

the nobler are they that follow me.

Therefore, the one of whole virtue

wears coarse clothes superficially,

but holds a precious treasure within.

It seems your quote points to The Methods necessary for understanding the Tao - albeit in alchemical language - I think most of the information written in the classics is in alchemical language .

How could it not be as the nature of the Chinese language is Alchemical.

It uses pictograms of objects in reality to represent ideas.

Much like this quote: From 'Fingers Pointing Towards The Moon' by the author that only wrote under the name:'WEI WU WEI' "Are we not wasps who spend all day in a fruitless attempt to traverse a window-pane - while the other half of the window is wide open? " My link

I have asked a Chinese friend, whose family is Christian / Taoists, that has a University Degree In Translating what was her definition of the Tao

She said that the Tao was the way to understand the Universe.

I asked her: Why was her family also Christian?

She said : Christian Missionaries taught her father English.

I asked her what she thought of Lao Tzu.

She Said: he is a Saint.

Hello Alfred!

I can only offer you my own limited perspective.

Based on my life and coming to the realization

that I have had Tao on the brain, intuitively

for most of my life. And without ever knowing what

My "beliefs" were considered by others outside

of myself, I am now here.

I think that any understanding we have will

always be of a personal nature.

I can offer to you what I believe Tao is.

But remember, that what say with words can never

measure up to the completeness that is TAO.

-------------------------------------------------

Tao is everything existing, both seen and unseen,

whether it is understood or not, by us.

It is knowing intuitively that all is of a dualistic nature.

That judgments are only necessary to the mind of man.

That we and all that is, is impermanent.

That we and all that exists, are all from the same source,

and that the concept of"separateness" is the Illusion that

we must break free from to reconnect with our true nature.

That Nature shows us Harmony and Balance, by its example.

That our concept of the Way is limited only by US.

Of course much more can be said...

Peace on the WAY to you!

I discoveed this website some years ago and have been studying it since.

His writings are like simple Buddhist Koans (word puzzles) that are designed to help with the understandings.

Although the following websites disclaimer, written by the websites present caretaker, does not seem to understand the writings - I have found great value in them since bout year 2,000:

The Books he points to were originaly published by Hong Kong University press.

"This site is intended as a resource for those interested in or curious about Buddhist/Taoist philosopher and essayist Wei Wu Wei. It includes extracts from eight books originally published between 1958 and 1974. It also contains essays published in various periodicals during the same period. The material is primarily metaphysical speculation, and is not representative of any particular sect or tradition, though it draws upon many. It is doubtful whether this site would be of use or interest to those seeking introductory material on Buddhism or Taoism."

Quotes from a past Master on the Tao

Wei Wu Wei

The website, where his writings are stored, are at this link :My link

Please note that the website is a member of "The Wandering Daoists" A webring of websites that has formed to promote the study of the Tao. - The Link is at the bottom of the page.

TTB could be a member !

The table of contents from the introductory page (all aree clickable on the page):

My personal favorite is : "BITS AND PIECES

"CONTENTS OF SITE:

INTRODUCTION

- background information and quoted passages regarding objectives.

BITS AND PIECES

- a selection of quotes from the works of 'Wei Wu Wei'.

PUBLISHED WORKS - BOOKS

- a list of all books with details of publication, contents and extensive extracts.

PUBLISHED WORKS - PERIODICALS

- links to pieces also published in various periodicals.

CITED WORKS AND RELATED READING

- a list of sources cited by 'Wei Wu Wei' and a selection of related works.

LINKS

- links to cited works on-line, related web-sites, book sources, etc."

Edited by Alfred E

Greetings..

I have come to know Tao as the translations say, "the Way".. as in 'the Way things are', and as in the path/Way traveled to understand this.. the path/way for my own understanding has been 'stillness', as in the stillness when the mind is still, silent and observant.. in this stillness, Clarity reveals 'the Way things Are'..

Be well..

Greetings..

I have come to know Tao as the translations say, "the Way".. as in 'the Way things are', and as in the path/Way traveled to understand this.. the path/way for my own understanding has been 'stillness', as in the stillness when the mind is still, silent and observant.. in this stillness, Clarity reveals 'the Way things Are'..

Be well..

I agree. Meditation has been my diving platform from which I explore and begin to understand.

Thanks for the link to the Wei Wu Wei page - so awesome and so pertinent. There is no doubt you are earnestly trying to internalize all this - the focus on humility is the most important, I think. Wonderful writings -

I think at the moment I am closer to being a Philosophical Taoist than a Religious Taoist. Although I find as I continue reading various sources that at the higher levels they almost become the same thing.

Meditation can lead to some interesting things that's for sure. Surely it's part of Tao too.

Nice posts, questions/answers/comments.

It is my opinion that we can understand (intuitively know) Tao by way of understanding its manifestations.

We can understand (intuitively know) the Te of Tao by way of understanding the Te of its manifestations.

Can we "know" anything beyond the manifest? I suggest yes, but only intuitively. We cannot 'prove', thereby 'know' anything beyond the manifest except intuitively.

Edit to add:

But even those things we 'know' of the manifest are not eternal because Tao is dynamic and in constant change. So even knowing is relative.

Edited by Marblehead

Nice posts, questions/answers/comments.

It is my opinion that we can understand (intuitively know) Tao by way of understanding its manifestations.

We can understand (intuitively know) the Te of Tao by way of understanding the Te of its manifestations.

Can we "know" anything beyond the manifest? I suggest yes, but only intuitively. We cannot 'prove', thereby 'know' anything beyond the manifest except intuitively.

Edit to add:

But even those things we 'know' of the manifest are not eternal because Tao is dynamic and in constant change. So even knowing is relative.

You should come to China - the Tao is everywhere. It is in the government, the science, the families, the street, the culture.....

The natural Law of Yin rises through the action of no action - Yang is strong but looses energy through continius effort.

It is like Wei Wu Wei wrote: "Are we not like wasps blocked from freedom with the closed window while the other half of the window is wide open? "

You should come to China - the Tao is everywhere. It is in the government, the science, the families, the street, the culture.....

I know! I know! I know!!!!

For many years that was a dream of mine but the dream never became a reality. Now my travelling days are over because I have established myself a life so that it would be impossible for me to go travelling again.

However, I did go to "Splendid China" a few times when it was in Orlando, Florida. They employed Chinese nationals who came to the states on worker's visas. I met one lovely lady, a dancer in a Chinese opera presentation. I so regret not having persued a closer relationship with her. She was so nice to talk with.

But still, we can still see the world simply by looking out our window. I still do that.

You have to talk to someone who has literally attained the tao.

The tao is very real.

It has a pulse.

Find a master that has attained the tao you can breath with it, channel it into your body, travel in it and so.

the books on alchemy tell you how to get to a level where you start to reach the tao but it doesnt tell you how to specifically of how to work with the tao itself.

the tao te ching is the best source for this but if it is not explained by a taoist master your chances of understanding it is slim to none.

Tao can be talked about, but not the eternal Tao.

Names can be named, but not the eternal name.

As the origin of heaven-and-earth, it is nameless:

As "the Mother" of all things, it is nameable.

When talking about the Tao, keep in mind that it can't be talked about, only those aspects that we can see that spring from it can be talked about. The Tao is only experienced, it can never be expressed in words. To say you know the Tao is like being a blind man and saying you know what the color red looks like. You can feel something that's red, know that it is red, but you can never really know what red is completely without seeing it.

Aaron