Owledge

A disturbing thought about (past life) karma

I was just watching TV and it inspired a thought:

When life makes someone atone for many things, be they from a past life (= unaware of) or just too much, without a balancing-out through progressive experiences, that person could get used to atonement so well and it might become so regular, familiar, common that he won't mind adding new things that would require atonement later.

Edited by Hardyg

Karmic masochism?

There are a lot of people into a lot of things out there. It's possible.

No, not masochism. Just like a cheap bargain, you know. Like "Beware! You will have to atone for that one day!" - "Yeah, so what? Doing that all the time anyway, so nothing to lose really."

I wonder if not fearing negative karmic consequences can be called bravery/strength.

Edited by Hardyg

Hi there,

That is true, I know sometimes. I will do something wrong that I have done before. And then later feel bad, and ask for forgiveness. And I will say to myself can't keep doing the same thing over and over and expect forgiveness. So I just try and do better each day...

It is hard not to be to hard on your self, but at the same times. It is good to give yourself a good kick in the butt to straighten yourself out every once in a while...

I tend to be kinder to others, than I am myself and more forgiving. And it is just as bad not to forgive your self than it is to not forgive others. Sometimes I think we receive Gods forgiveness way before we do our selfs, depending on the person I guess... But at last all we can do is the best we can...

Take care... Mel

When life makes someone atone for many things, be they from a past life (= unaware of) or just too much, without a balancing-out through progressive experiences, that person could get used to atonement so well and it might become so regular, familiar, common that he won't mind adding new things that would require atonement later.

In all honesty, I think this one of the many things I'm working through right now...I can be very apathetic at times.

Sounds like Russian roulette to me Hardyg :blink:

Some years ago I decided to do whatever I pleased, using the rationale that whatever karma backlash I would experience I could use as a kind of furnace for burning away whatever parts of my character held on to attachments and ego.

My God was that a big mistake! Sometimes you think you know what the worst thing that can happen would be and then decide before the fact you could deal with that karma backlash.... but lady karma is a most cunning mistress with intimate knowledge of all humans' personal weaknesses...even when they don't know themselves.

She'll go straight for the balls and get them too... lady karma will always find that ever so special situation to present to you on a cold plate that you just can't resist. There is no getting used to her cuisine. You up your stakes and she'll up hers... and she'll call you when you've got the worst hand possible.

That cow. Still, if you do nice stuff she's a pretty girl in a skimpy dress whispering sweet nothings in your ear on a hot summers day.... or was that the beginning of 'bad' karma.... one never does quite know with her.

I gave up toying with karma a long time ago, she won!

True atonement: at - one - ment, (ie in harmony) involves joining with God, being at one with God, from which perspective you see your own sin. Atonement is something that purifies very deeply, something acutely felt, exquisitely excruciating, involving heart expansion and education, it refines the moral sense sharply... imagine seeing your own piffling human defilements, from the perspective of perfection...seeing and forgiving yourself now that your perspective is enlarged,

a great and good liberation which cleanses.

• Like 1

In all honesty, I think this one of the many things I'm working through right now...I can be very apathetic at times.

Wow, we're close to the hub now, Bubba.

It's my understanding that apathy can't be avoided, once achieved. This is the shield of the warrior, no pain can get to him. The nature of the beast....the point of view of the Observer.

Edited by manitou

Maybe that's one reason you chose 'The Observer'?

Lol. Maybe, maybe! Never thought about it myself really.

Wow, we're close to the hub now, Bubba.

It's my understanding that apathy can't be avoided, once achieved. This is the shield of the warrior, no pain can get to him. The nature of the beast....the point of view of the Observer.

I wouldn't take it that far now ;) For example, I'm feeling a lot of pain in my noggin right now lol. Does the pain bother me? Hell yeah!

If u look at it from the perspective of duality, for people to do the right thing other people have to do the wrong thing . So in theory for every saint the universe creates it also has to create a sinner (The person you suggest needs to atone). I think if you can transcend thinking about right and wrong (ego based concepts) your probably on the right track to living a peace filled life.

I think if you can transcend thinking about right and wrong (ego based concepts) your probably on the right track to living a peace filled life.

Why not a war-filled life? Is war wrong? Is peace right? ;)

True atonement: at - one - ment, (ie in harmony) involves joining with God, being at one with God, from which perspective you see your own sin.

I'm always wondering whether people make those word games up, or whether they KNOW where the meaning comes from. Because ... you know ... you mentioned harmony, which contains the word "harm". :lol:

Edited by Hardyg