NeiChuan

Eating and Running?

Hm, the reason I've actually been a bit uneasy about the anti strenuous activity advice, is because I read born to run.

Basically telling me I don't exactly "have" to slow down.. I use to always walk/run barefoot as a kid to, so it isn't a change really. Anyway I just didn't wana start out with it, felt like I may be forcing info on some people, if that makes any sense to you.

Yeah, but the Tarahumara also stay quite permanently drunk as a default lifelong state, so using them as an example of how to be healthy one might have to be consistent?..:lol: I believe people (there's very few of them left on this planet) who are born into true tribal environments are largely a different species.

When I was living at the shaman's place in the rain forest, so far removed from the civilized parts of the country that even Peruvians in Lima whom I later told about my adventures perceived them as stories brought back from another planet, at one point I went for a walk along a trail that leads (eventually, hours of walking later) to the road that eventually takes one to Iquitos, the biggest city in the world not accessible by car (you can fly in or you can navigate the Amazon to get there, but there's no roads to take otherwise). A man half walking, half running in the opposite direction, toward the shaman's place, passed me on my way. He was perhaps a member of the household carrying some supplies from a trip to wherever he went for them. The supplies looked like a sack of potatoes or something, the size of a Volkswagen, and the man carrying it was perhaps in his 50s but no bigger in his physique than a skinny Western 12-year-old. He carried it on his shoulders but the bulk of its weight was supported by his head -- the bag was strapped to his forehead with a band of some sturdy cloth. It looked like something that should have broken his neck and squished him under its weight like a bug. However, the man wasn't showing any signs of fatigue. He greeted me, smiling shyly and saying something in a local dialect. He had a huge machete in his hand, which made me think that part of his route must have been off trail so on top of carrying the load he had to make his way with the machete in the otherwise impenetrable jungle. We proceeded on our respective ways in the opposite directions, but I turned to watch him go... It still seems unreal though I can still see him in my mind's eye. He was practically flying with the load. I don't know anyone in Europe or the US, no matter how athletic, who could do what I saw that man doing.

Oh, and read the book on Tarahumara running techniques, if nothing else, you will probably be convinced to choose your running shoes wisely.:lol:

I really enjoyed Christopher McDougall Born to Run The link is to an interview... and yes I now own some 5 fingers which I use for martial arts, great shoes.

Hey everyone, sorry this isn't related to chi so much but I guess you could say running is its own kind of meditation, so hopefully this thread won't be moved haha.

Anyway

I've been having a hard time knowing what to eat before running.. I drank some natures valley fruit/vegetable drink and I felt like throwing up half a mile into the run. Which really bums me out cause I just recovered from alot of soreness and had to stop my run about a quarter in.

I also had some oatmeal.

What works best for you? Thanks

I realize I've misunderstood the point of this thread.

I thought it was about eating and running at the same time.

I was simply gonna' advise you to never try it with a big mac, it gets very messy.

I realize I've misunderstood the point of this thread.

I thought it was about eating and running at the same time.

I was simply gonna' advise you to never try it with a big mac, it gets very messy.

Aw well that's a bummer. I was just wondering if I could try a triple quarter pounder when im almost done, ya know for extra energy.

Just reading all the posts and joining this thread becouse running is good

(for now).

I dont eat before running.But also dont run when feeling hungry either.

Fell in love with runing few years ago out of blue.Body open up easily and sorts it self out .Leaving me feel refreshed,renewed.

It is great way to get rid stress after work for example.Get some fresh air and spend time outdoors running.

Much better than alcohol or drugs for relaxation or "health".

I also keep active and find that when stamina ,flexibility and strenght is build up need for teas,herbs ,vitamins and any supplements(in combination with right food) and any drugs whatsoever vanishes.

Which in turn is so liberating.

This is from personal expirience only as I dont follow any school of thought or trust what doctors say as a rule etc.. Only trust myself even if it means putting my hand in the fire,becouse I am Sun not everyone else.

Dont know about athleats and their work out regime it may be hard for the body long term.Same with some hard core martial artists or dancers.

The word 'whilst' makes me, an American, reflect upon the Merchant & Ivory films I enjoyed watching... :)

As to the above quote(I couldn't quote your quote)about 'whist' dying out in 'American English' one might assume it was for the same reason as you lost the 'u', as in labour/labor... the generally accepted reason being that a majority of settlers where illiterate...saves time writing mind you! My windows word is highly illiterate.

I think we're going on our own grammar tangent Rainbow... and frankly the specter of getting a 'red click' for adding nothing to the topic at hand is filling me with dread! :o (that's the closest smiley face I could find for the feeling of dread) So I should add something about the topic at hand I guess.

I suggest that people should steer clear of running on concrete.... it really can mess the knees up after a long period of time... and slightly connected, be careful of sitting in 'seiza' as the western musculature doesn't seem very suited for it. And seiza and running in my view is an absolute 'no no'.... obviously don't try running whilst/while in seiza :D

• Like 1

I've heard that about concrete. When I see runners running on the asphalt alongside traffic, I wonder what's more valuable, one's knees or one's life? :huh:

:lol: maybe neither.... that pioneer of running jim fixx died possibly due to running. I think I'll stick to walking at a fairly brisk pace!

Isn't it the Daoists who believe the human heart is pre-programmed for a certain amount of heartbeats so therefore any form of strenuous exercise that increases the heart rate is a bad thing as it shortens lifespan? Not sure I believe that one mind you, especially as that would suggest sex might be a bad thing. There might be a form of tai-chi sex for all I know. It would take all day surely. "did the earth move for you....all be it slowly?"

I think we're going on our own grammar tangent Rainbow... and frankly the specter of getting a 'red click' for adding nothing to the topic at hand is filling me with dread! :o (that's the closest smiley face I could find for the feeling of dread) So I should add something about the topic at hand I guess.

Surely you mean spectre!!!!!

Dictionary

Edited by apepch7

Surely you mean spectre!!!!!

Dictionary

That's what I thought!! The spell check told me I was wrong....

Many is the time I have been foiled by by an Americanized spell checker! Darn and tarnations(apparently I'm wrong with tarnations too, that might well be the case not ever having written that word before.)

Edit/ps: I'm gonna give you a red click for wantonly going off topic. Your reputation will be as mud now. You'll never live it down.

Edited by Ninpo-me-this-ninjutsu-me-that

:lol: maybe neither.... that pioneer of running jim fixx died possibly due to running. I think I'll stick to walking at a fairly brisk pace!

Isn't it the Daoists who believe the human heart is pre-programmed for a certain amount of heartbeats so therefore any form of strenuous exercise that increases the heart rate is a bad thing as it shortens lifespan?

Hm but strenuous exercise lowers your resting heart beat..So maybe in your early years, exercise to compensate for your old age.

I've also heard of the same theory being taken into practice, say stopping your heart during meditation. But there are alot of dangers in the beginning stages of that training if you're not monitored.

Also I think Olympic athletes have a resting heart rate of about 25 or 30.

While perhaps not so helpful for the dont waste youre limited number of heartbeats camp, we do chi gungs for kung fu that increase our heart rate.

When we learn them Sifu would often tell us to feel our heartbeats and explain that with western exercise you run first, and then your heart and breathing try to catch up with you. By manipulating our breathing first, we control our heart rate. Feel your chest with your hand now, feel your heart beating fast and strong. These Chi Gungs prepare your body to exert energy, rather than exerting energy and then needing your body to try to catch up and recover.

(or something like that)

Good point! Taomeow, can you address this? How can one lower resting heart rate in lieu of running? :huh:

Taijiquan, most definitely. People who practice under the guidance of a good master will testify that after a good practice they can have all the external signs of dramatically increased circulation and metabolic activity -- sweating buckets, pink glowing face, etc. -- while the heart rate remains that of sitting on the couch reading a book, and respiration rate, ditto. It's a miracle, every time. The slower you do your form, the more pronounced the effects. Even more so with low stances. Even more so with a slow pace, low stances, and a meditative state of mind maintaining awareness of the kinesthetic sense.

• Like 1

Taijiquan, most definitely. People who practice under the guidance of a good master will testify that after a good practice they can have all the external signs of dramatically increased circulation and metabolic activity -- sweating buckets, pink glowing face, etc. -- while the heart rate remains that of sitting on the couch reading a book, and respiration rate, ditto. It's a miracle, every time. The slower you do your form, the more pronounced the effects. Even more so with low stances. Even more so with a slow pace, low stances, and a meditative state of mind maintaining awareness of the kinesthetic sense.

Hm so would you agree strenuous activity may be another alternative to living a long healthy life then?

As to the above quote(I couldn't quote your quote)about 'whist' dying out in 'American English' one might assume it was for the same reason as you lost the 'u', as in labour/labor... the generally accepted reason being that a majority of settlers where illiterate...saves time writing mind you! My windows word is highly illiterate.

I suggest that people should steer clear of running on concrete.... it really can mess the knees up after a long period of time... and slightly connected, be careful of sitting in 'seiza' as the western musculature doesn't seem very suited for it. And seiza and running in my view is an absolute 'no no'.... obviously don't try running whilst/while in seiza :D

I got a red click for going back onto the topic!???

My oh my. I think someone is trying to tell me to stay off topic all of the time.

I'm kind of wondering if there are any benefits to giving red clicks. Personally I think a free armband

should be given to everyone who hits a hundred red clicks. A red one, with a white circle and possibly

a black symbol in the middle... like...eh...hmmm, I dunno, a Buddhist symbol reversed. Or something.

Hm but strenuous exercise lowers your resting heart beat..So maybe in your early years, exercise to compensate for your old age.

I've also heard of the same theory being taken into practice, say stopping your heart during meditation. But there are alot of dangers in the beginning stages of that training if you're not monitored.

It's a fair point Neichuan, although to me it kind of sounds like 'borrowing from Peter in order to pay Paul'.

And what about this: lets say that in fact you are destined for a short life span, lets say 30 years old, and you spend a large amount of your youth running around or doing some form of strenuous exercise. I mean your never gonna' hit old age anyway and now all you are doing is reducing your already short lifespan. Unless we can all know, roughly, what age we are gonna' die it's not a great method to follow.

Again, I'm not sure I believe in the whole pre-programmed heartbeats thing, but it's something to think about.

Edited by Ninpo-me-this-ninjutsu-me-that

Hm so would you agree strenuous activity may be another alternative to living a long healthy life then?

Oh yes, it is indeed an alternative. Meaning, you can have one or the other. :D

We would have to define "strenuous" though before deciding whether it's healthy or not. A low taiji stance is extremely strenuous, but it is not straining your internal organs... Maybe instead of just "strenuous" we need to specify: "strenuous for your internal organs" will give you short term external benefits. Health and long life are not "short term external benefits." The taiji guidelines -- "soft on the outside, hard on the inside" -- are also helpful methinks. If an activity makes you hard on the outside, it is making you weak on the inside... long term. So -- anyone has a picture of a hundred-year-old bodybuilder in great shape? Don't think so... X-rays of a great, flexible and strong bone structure inside?... Not really... An account of taking up running in one's youth and never needing a doctor in one's 100s?.. An example of a long-lived healthy Olympic champion?.. Anything?... Didn't think so... Yet videos of a hundred-year-old taiji master doing amazing stuff most teenagers would find hard to replicate have been posted on this site. And my 54-year-old taiji teacher, when I asked him for a reference to a good TCM practitioner, said, sorry, I don't know any doctors at all, I have never been sick in my life...

I got a red click for going back onto the topic!???

My oh my. I think someone is trying to tell me to stay off topic all of the time.

I'm kind of wondering if there are any benefits to giving red clicks. Personally I think a free armband

should be given to everyone who hits a hundred red clicks. A red one, with a white circle and possibly

a black symbol in the middle... like...eh...hmmm, I dunno, a Buddhist symbol reversed. Or something.

It's a fair point Neichuan, although to me it kind of sounds like 'borrowing from Peter in order to pay Paul'.

And what about this: lets say that in fact you are destined for a short life span, lets say 30 years old, and you spend a large amount of your youth running around or doing some form of strenuous exercise. I mean your never gonna' hit old age anyway and now all you are doing is reducing your already short lifespan. Unless we can all know, roughly, what age we are gonna' die it's not a great method to follow.

Again, I'm not sure I believe in the whole pre-programmed heartbeats thing, but it's something to think about.

Hm yeah same here, im not completely convinced either. Plus if your fate is to die a week from now, might aswell sit on the couch, drink redbull and eat bbq chips all day.

Or go do something awesome, upto you really haha.

@taomeow. "And my 54-year-old taiji teacher, when I asked him for a reference to a good TCM practitioner, said, sorry, I don't know any doctors at all, I have never been sick in my life... " Hahah must be awesome to hear.

Anyway yeah I was going to mention the definition of what you or I meant, although I thought I might rabble a bit to much mentioning that taiji is strenuous aswell.

I was going to mention the low forms, I mean they raise your heart rate im sure.

If horse stance for as long as I can does I'd just think they would.

Edited by NeiChuan

Hm yeah same here, im not completely convinced either. Plus if your fate is to die a week from now, might aswell sit on the couch, drink redbull and eat bbq chips all day.

Or go do something awesome, upto you really haha.

That sounds like a plan Neichuan! But it would only be fair for me to take other peoples recommendations into account too. So I'm off to drink some redbull and then do some Tai-Chi.

And that my friend, is called 'balance'.

Hey everyone, sorry this isn't related to chi so much but I guess you could say running is its own kind of meditation, so hopefully this thread won't be moved haha.

Anyway

I've been having a hard time knowing what to eat before running.. I drank some natures valley fruit/vegetable drink and I felt like throwing up half a mile into the run. Which really bums me out cause I just recovered from alot of soreness and had to stop my run about a quarter in.

I also had some oatmeal.

What works best for you? Thanks

for me there is only one way to run...first thing in the morning on an empty stomach in my Vibrams

I was going to mention the low forms, I mean they raise your heart rate im sure.

Nope - but it strengthens your legs and if you are relaxed increases circulation.

for me there is only one way to run...first thing in the morning on an empty stomach in my Vibrams

Ah Awesome =D. I've thought of getting them but apparently they really really amell after awhile haha.

Now im just thinking of making my own huaraches =P.