ShaktiMama

Questions and Answers about Kundalini II

I had the chance to meet a Iraq war vet who had a full on Kundalini opening on the battlefield. Talk about intensity...

:)

I so believe it -- because he was in the middle of suffering and aware of it. I don't mean abstract suffering in the buddhist sense. I mean a hands-on, heart-on chance to experience the reality of life humans have made for themselves and other humans -- experience it while having no recourse to the usual psychological and ideological defenses. In most cases people have an inifinite number of shelters to run to from reality, but in some situations, stripped bare of those, they have to face it. Kundalini can't bypass defenses without demolishing them, so if there's nothing there to demolish, as some entries would suggest, we must be dealing with a human being who never had a chance to either be hurt or notice someone else's pain... because defensive blocks are always erected by such events. The "kundalini" slithering smoothly past defenses is merely one of them in disguise...

Defensive kundalini is a curious beast. Unlike the real one, the defensive one doesn't arise from the body. It is made in the neocortex and released into the sphere of ideation without affecting the body in the slightest. Like all things disconnected in a fragmented consciousness, it can grow to any size, the size of the universe and beyond, and acquire any characteristics whatsoever, universal love, universal disdain for the insignificant other people (the "train wrecks" casually dismissed), the bad-karma-infested, the ignorant ones who don't use the same defense mechanisms... whatever. It can even show the money. The only way anyone outside the experience can tell the difference is by taking the vitals... if the body is left out of it, it ain't no real thing.

No offense, but feeling Kundalini is not all that nice. It can be pleasant at times, but more often it's an annoyance and a distraction. I prefer to summon the subtle energy when I need it to do some work, such as healing in an emergency, or to warm up, but unless I have work to do, I don't like going around all aglow and abuzz with energy. It's neither healthy nor fun. And worshipping it as if it's so important or as if it's a direct route to wisdom is a big mistake. Energy is purely utilitarian by its very nature. It has no wisdom or ignorance in it. Kundalini is no different from the wind we experience when walking down the street. Just like wind it's neither good nor bad and doesn't inherently lead to anything in particular. Nobody worships winds, do they? Well, Kundalini is pretty much nothing other than an internal wind. If we don't worship the external wind, there is no good reason to worship the internal wind either. Knowing how to control inner winds can be useful, but it's not really more magic than the external wind.

So, no I don't want to spend more time experiencing Kundalini. I think I experience it more than I would like as is. I'd like to experience it less time, not more. Having Kundalini is like having a tail. It's cool for the first week in a "check this out" way, but then it just gets in the way.

Mmm I don't know.. Kundalini isn't just prana or subtle energy.. it's the essence of prana. I think in Vajrayana they talk about Kundalini as a wisdom energy because it has qualities of bringing about wisdom, letting wisdom through, awakening to wisdom.

In my experience, it does this by bringing forth what's deeply held onto. Unconscious mind patterns which are very strong and primal are made stronger. For me it's really been the fear of death.. that's been highlighted for me over and over again. So I really don't see this comparison of Kundalini as nothing important. It's certainly very useful and has a big part to play in the whole process that everybody goes through.

Kundalini is only an annoyance that "gets in the way" if you don't surrender. Those who are devotional to the process are really just surrendering to it. Surrender leads to catharsis and letting go of deeply held patterns or "blockages." Once the mind is clear (or once the subtle energy is free of blockages) there is wisdom.

I honestly think you are talking about something completely different than kundalini and that you have never actually experienced it.

Edited by Sunya

The phenomenology of kundalini is not well understood, primarily because of the textual symbolic descriptions. These descriptions are cultural and taken out of context. Even the use of the term energy is vague and leads to controversy.

From my research, the best way to describe this phenomenon, is to characterize this force (kundalini) as a coherent field. Light emitted from a laser is the best example of a coherent field I can think of. Coherence is a very orderly property of a laser as you can see by looking at a laser as opposed to an ordinary flashlight that scatters the beam and is disorderly. The reason the laser can cut is by destructive interference on whatever object the laser beam is focused on.

The so called channels i.e, sushumna etc. are not to be construed as some sort of internal plumbing. That ideology is ancient lore and should be ignored. A field of wave forms, both coherent and incoherent, is a more precise way of describing the phenomenology of this human energy field. Visualize it as a fractal. See book reference below.

The best way I can understand the kundalini process and all it's varied symptoms, is that when the coherent kundalini energy field i.e, a wave form, moves through the human energy field, the coherent force of the kundalini, interferes with incoherent parts of the human energy field. At that point, the destructive effects occur. I have experienced the destructive effects and I agree with GIH that kundalini does not feel good.

For more on the research by Dr. Valerie Hunt on this topic, I highly recommend her book. She was able to measure the comples human energy field while teaching at UCLA.

http://www.amazon.com/Infinite-Mind-Science-Vibrations-Consciousness/dp/0964398818/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1284410881&sr=8-1

Yes, life is full of paradox. Not for the linear minded.

Yes, correct within context. But, I also said they are all equally empty and mutually dependent so none are inherently ultimate. Just one is more beneficial than another.

That higher experience arises dependent upon the awareness of the uniformity of emptiness of all experience and sentient beings.

Yes, ultimately speaking, because you as well as all your experiences are empty of inherent existence and the mass of your experiences are all relative, equally.

Chogyal Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche believes the very same. So I guess based upon the idea expressed by you above, Rinpoche is also deluded?

It is also my experience through Dzogchen that the above is not a delusion but a stable and complete truth. :)

Through the practices given by ChNNR, who you say you've received transmission from, one can have a direct experience of this truth... very deeply heart felt experience right there in the center of the heart chakra with the experience of the "blue vajra", or blue sphere or in sanskrit, "nila bindu."

I won't be trapped in your twisted logic. Further, life is a paradox and your attempts at writing in paradox fail. Paradoxical and nonsensical statements are not the same.

Anyone can claim anything at any time. Buddhists claim their wisdom, compassion and overarching unbounded feel good sentiment encompasses the entire cosmos. It does not matter if you believe in this sentiment or not, there is no proof any sentient being with no foreknowledge of such sentiments, has ever obtained benefit. If you want to benefit others, volunteer to help someone in need.

More beneficial, implies a hierarchy and preferences for a higher state of being. Further, to fall back on the worn out empty phenomena excuse provides no answer to my argument. Moreover, when you state a uniformity of emptiness in all phenomena, what you posit is that all phenomena are equal, which is contrary to having preferences.

In terms of kundalini experiences, I had a rather intense one during my retreat with Norbu in 1989. If you read the literature around phowa, the essence travels through the crown to a Buddha realm. Therefor, I would disagree that Buddhism is some lateral experience. Buddhism is very much about kundalini.

ralis

Mmm I don't know.. Kundalini isn't just prana or subtle energy.. it's the essence of prana. I think in Vajrayana they talk about Kundalini as a wisdom energy because it has qualities of bringing about wisdom, letting wisdom through, awakening to wisdom.

In my experience, it does this by bringing forth what's deeply held onto. Unconscious mind patterns which are very strong and primal are made stronger. For me it's really been the fear of death.. that's been highlighted for me over and over again. So I really don't see this comparison of Kundalini as nothing important. It's certainly very useful and has a big part to play in the whole process that everybody goes through.

Kundalini is only an annoyance that "gets in the way" if you don't surrender. Those who are devotional to the process are really just surrendering to it. Surrender leads to catharsis and letting go of deeply held patterns or "blockages." Once the mind is clear (or once the subtle energy is free of blockages) there is wisdom.

I honestly think you are talking about something completely different than kundalini and that you have never actually experienced it.

What all here need to realize is that messing around with these cosmic forces is no joke and is not kiddy play! No matter how much you surrender to this impersonal force, surrender means nothing. Treating it as some annoyance is completely missing the point.

Kundalini hit me with no warning and in one night my life as I knew it was gone. I thought I could surrender (an attempt to appease and control) to this impersonal force that was destroying me. No way did that make a difference. I am fortunate to be alive and it has taken 17 years to rebuild my health and life.

I agree, that primal forces of the mind can and will be made stronger. However, the physical problems are the most challenging aspect of this process.

ralis

What all here need to realize is that messing around with these cosmic forces is no joke and is not kiddy play! No matter how much you surrender to this impersonal force, surrender means nothing. Treating it as some annoyance is completely missing the point.

Kundalini hit me with no warning and in one night my life as I knew it was gone. I thought I could surrender (an attempt to appease and control) to this impersonal force that was destroying me. No way did that make a difference. I am fortunate to be alive and it has taken 17 years to rebuild my health and life.

I agree, that primal forces of the mind can and will be made stronger. However, the physical problems are the most challenging aspect of this process.

ralis

I have to agree. Forces that shaped galaxies, built and destroyed worlds of billions of sentient inhabitants while revealing themselves to none, the cosmic serpent whose "goals," if one could apply this human concept to her "psychology," may take a few more billion years for a few of them to comprehend, are routinely discussed in the same terms one would use when instructing someone about taking a bubble bath -- just relax... just surrender... and enjoy! The hubris of the human animal is unmatched in the whole of the universe...

It's not just "mental" vs "physical" aspects -- it's the totality of feeling-thinking-functioning-integrating that is the tricky part... Time can get very tricky in particular, your body can be thrown far back in time while your mind is desperately hanging on to the "now" -- the pull of memory, the push of repression, the revolt of the body cells that know what they're after against the brain cells that scream "don't you dare..." ...the lower brain, the part that is torn between its task to instruct your body how to breathe the "now" air and the unresolved breathless life-and-death struggle of its embedded memory... and you need to harmonize everything that is going on, arrive at a conscious picture of everything, because the moment you're distracted by a part of you -- physical or emotional or ideological -- other parts go haywire... It's about harmony made out of chaos, and a bubble bath doesn't quite cut it.

I so believe it -- because he was in the middle of suffering and aware of it. I don't mean abstract suffering in the buddhist sense. I mean a hands-on, heart-on chance to experience the reality of life humans have made for themselves and other humans -- experience it while having no recourse to the usual psychological and ideological defenses. In most cases people have an inifinite number of shelters to run to from reality, but in some situations, stripped bare of those, they have to face it. Kundalini can't bypass defenses without demolishing them, so if there's nothing there to demolish, as some entries would suggest, we must be dealing with a human being who never had a chance to either be hurt or notice someone else's pain... because defensive blocks are always erected by such events. The "kundalini" slithering smoothly past defenses is merely one of them in disguise...

Defensive kundalini is a curious beast. Unlike the real one, the defensive one doesn't arise from the body. It is made in the neocortex and released into the sphere of ideation without affecting the body in the slightest. Like all things disconnected in a fragmented consciousness, it can grow to any size, the size of the universe and beyond, and acquire any characteristics whatsoever, universal love, universal disdain for the insignificant other people (the "train wrecks" casually dismissed), the bad-karma-infested, the ignorant ones who don't use the same defense mechanisms... whatever. It can even show the money. The only way anyone outside the experience can tell the difference is by taking the vitals... if the body is left out of it, it ain't no real thing.

I agree, all the accounts I have read, always discuss the physical effects of this force.

ralis

Can it really be this bad?

What kind of physical problems are we talking about here? Chronic health problems or pain? Serious health conditions? Stuff that takes 17 years to resolve?

Is this all detoxing or what?

And why did it wreck your life? Just due to the physical problems? Or also, as aforementioned, due to various life mishaps and "bad luck?" How exactly is it so dramatically life-changing? :wacko:

I have to agree. Forces that shaped galaxies, built and destroyed worlds of billions of sentient inhabitants while revealing themselves to none, the cosmic serpent whose "goals," if one could apply this human concept to her "psychology," may take a few more billion years for a few of them to comprehend, are routinely discussed in the same terms one would use when instructing someone about taking a bubble bath -- just relax... just surrender... and enjoy! The hubris of the human animal is unmatched in the whole of the universe...

Well said! The last statement regarding hubris is to the point!

ralis

Can it really be this bad?

What kind of physical problems are we talking about here? Chronic health problems or pain? Serious health conditions? Stuff that takes 17 years to resolve?

Is this all detoxing or what?

And why did it wreck your life? Just due to the physical problems? Or also, as aforementioned, due to various life mishaps and "bad luck?" How exactly is it so dramatically life-changing? :wacko:

Forget the detox business. Read my most recent post on the phenomenology of kundalini.

1. My heart rate was severely arrhythmic.

2. My physical heart felt like it was on fire for a short time.

3. My entire body was hot. This continued for 2 years. I could walk naked in the snow with no problem.

4. My skin turned grey.

5. My vision began to deteriorate.

6. I had rushes of heat that started in the sacrum and went right to my heart and stuck. I tried to put that energy in the MCO and that failed.

7. My business income went to zero.

8. There are myriad other symptoms.

9. The heat was accompanied by intense bliss.

10. This force changed the structure of my upper spine. Feldenkrais and Rolfing have helped considerably.

My point in my other post is that no one can control this force. I have no idea as to why it stopped.

I am not certain if your question in regards to this force wrecking my life was a curiosity or a judgment.

Edited by ralis

Well said! The last statement regarding hubris is to the point!

ralis

I have been following the posts but I am in bit of a time crunch at the moment to answer.

I just want to bring one thing up in this time. How many here had accidental, spontaneous, or traumatic awakenings vs one that happened under the guidance of a teacher?

These fall under childbirth, broken sacrums, severe emotional trauma like being in a battle,death, grief, drug induced, extreme positive emotions like joy and devotion? When I first posted the first q&a about kundalini a couple of weeks ago it was addressed that strong emotion is one of those conditions that need to be in place for an awakening. This is why KAP stresses circulating the 5 positive mind states in the Secret Smile. It prepares the body by producing beneficial chemicals to handle the awakening.

There are many spontaneous awakers out there and they generally have a more difficult time. One of the primary reasons is because they are in isolation and lack access to resources.

I remember Dr. Morris telling me how one person came to him who was having a difficult awakening and asked him to kill her if he couldn't fix her. He fixed her using KAP techniques.

s

It's not just "mental" vs "physical" aspects -- it's the totality of feeling-thinking-functioning-integrating that is the tricky part... Time can get very tricky in particular, your body can be thrown far back in time while your mind is desperately hanging on to the "now" -- the pull of memory, the push of repression, the revolt of the body cells that know what they're after against the brain cells that scream "don't you dare..." ...the lower brain, the part that is torn between its task to instruct your body how to breathe the "now" air and the unresolved breathless life-and-death struggle of its embedded memory... and you need to harmonize everything that is going on, arrive at a conscious picture of everything, because the moment you're distracted by a part of you -- physical or emotional or ideological -- other parts go haywire... It's about harmony made out of chaos, and a bubble bath doesn't quite cut it.

I read 'Mothers Agenda' years ago and her observations are very similar to yours.

http://www.auroville.org/vision/maagenda.htm#1

ralis

I have been following the posts but I am in bit of a time crunch at the moment to answer.

I just want to bring one thing up in this time. How many here had accidental, spontaneous, or traumatic awakenings vs one that happened under the guidance of a teacher?

These fall under childbirth, broken sacrums, severe emotional trauma like being in a battle,death, grief, drug induced, extreme positive emotions like joy and devotion? When I first posted the first q&a about kundalini a couple of weeks ago it was addressed that strong emotion is one of those conditions that need to be in place for an awakening. This is why KAP stresses circulating the 5 positive mind states in the Secret Smile. It prepares the body by producing beneficial chemicals to handle the awakening.

There are many spontaneous awakers out there and they generally have a more difficult time. One of the primary reasons is because they are in isolation and lack access to resources.

I remember Dr. Morris telling me how one person came to him who was having a difficult awakening and asked him to kill her if he couldn't fix her. He fixed her using KAP techniques.

s

KAP was of immense help. I live in Santa Fe and one would think someone here would know something. Even the Sikh community 15 min. north of here is not as knowledgeable as one might assume.

ralis

Some see the cosmic serpent as if it were some warm and fuzzy pet! :lol:

"But does it also include life mishaps and "bad luck?" Is this stuff also a typical part of the process as well?"

- Yes.

"Is it like karma releasing or something? "

- I don't reckon karma is "released" inasmuch as it is played out with your fully aware participation for you to adapt yourself to such that it resolves OR until it breaks you.

Not necessarily a "bad" thing from a buddhist "ego-killing" perspective but hey, not everyone wants to kill their egos, and egos don't want to be killed, period. And they will try to kill you before you kill them, especially if they are formed in specific ways (usually fostered by society and environment).

- I ought to add here, that not all egos are equal, nor necessarily desireable (sounds awful, but if you take the example of the "low self esteem" ego that often puts you in harm's way - or is harmful to others, then it might sound better.)

Anyway, I would suggest that they really don't need "killing" unless they've become very harmful. If I look at what immediately preceded the beginning of my K "narrative" (because it's just another story) it was the momentary impulse to jump off a large building. I won't get into why that was. There are some things you don't need to share with all :)

However, IMO, this in itself is "life" and it's function (from the small portion of experience I've managed to gather).

I think TaoMeow's take on the mechanism (if I can use such a term) is correct. Your extremes and mileage may vary, but it's worth looking into.

My opinion, obviously, as usual. :)

And I add,falling on one's a44 doesn't help. :glare:

I'm gonna chime in here, not because I've ever experienced Shakti, but because I'm beginning to feel powerful chi awakening. If one relaxes and opens everything with the downward energy flow, how common is it to trigger Shakti? Honestly, I'm terrified of a kundalini awakening from the stories herein. :o

Have you watched the Q&A videos? I recommend them if you are getting worried. I like and respect Tao tremendously.

So Rainbow Vein, who I am quite fond of, is terrified to the point that she worries about relaxing so much that she triggers a kundalini awakening, because of what has been written in this thread. Does anyone else think that maybe there is some unnecessary fear mongering going on here?

RV, I think "terrified" is valid as an apprehension. But it could be worth looking at what exactly you are terrified of. I think Ya Mu's stuff is very well balanced so I wouldn't fear, you're in good hands :)

You're also in your own hands, if I may suggest that. We all are. :)

I'm not suggesting this lightly. Ya Mu has awesome technical skills and understanding. How I know this is through my own experience, my reading him here and the few messages I've exchanged with him- I'll admit to filling in gaps a great deal (we all do) but he's on it.

For the rest of this post, I couldn't write it. I can only talk about my own experience. There's more than enough of that in my forum :rolleyes: . I don't think it means that everyone will have the same experience - just as in life :)

Does anyone else think that maybe there is some unnecessary fear mongering going on here?

Depends on whether I understood you correctly. Do you mean that when people who share their own personal experiences instead of commenting on videos they watched (like me, Eternal Student, and Ralis, e.g.) and you don't like what you hear, this constitutes "unnecessary fear mongering going on here?" Or are you referring to something else entirely that I may have missed?

Depends on whether I understood you correctly. Do you mean that when people who share their own personal experiences instead of commenting on videos they watched (like me, Eternal Student, and Ralis, e.g.) and you don't like what you hear, this constitutes "unnecessary fear mongering going on here?" Or are you referring to something else entirely that I may have missed?

No, that is not what I was driving at. That is pretty accurate for all my posts in this thread EXCEPT the one you are referring to.

:lol:

What I meant was, independent of what was said or what I think about it, were you trying to provoke such a fearful reaction from people when you posted what you did in the way that you did?

I decided to phrase it as a wisecrack instead of a question just because, and I'm glad at least one person got a laugh out of it. But I apologize that my meaning was not clear.

Edited by Creation

No, that is not what I was driving at. That is pretty accurate for all my posts in this thread EXCEPT the one you are referring to.

:lol:

What I meant was, independent of what was said or what I think about it, were you trying to provoke such a fearful reaction from people when you posted what you did in the way that you did?

I decided to phrase it as a wisecrack instead of a question just because, and I'm glad at least one person got a laugh out of it. But I apologize that my meaning was not clear.

Well, it WAS funny.:) I apologize in my turn for focusing on the fly in the ointment of your joke... I was going to delete my entry but was too late.

I have been giving an honest account of what happened to me. Kundalini is not some new age woo woo fantasy to play with. It would be disingenuous of me to not be honest. This thread concerns kundalini and all who tread on that path must have ample warning. However, some people just want to hear what feels good!

Gopi Krishna and Irina Tweedie are two people whose books give an excellent account of the process.

I would be glad to entertain serious questions in regard to this process.

http://www.amazon.com/Daughter-Fire-Spiritual-Training-Master/dp/0963457454/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1284434258&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=gopi+krishna&x=0&y=0

ralis

Well, it WAS funny.:) I apologize in my turn for focusing on the fly in the ointment of your joke... I was going to delete my entry but was too late.

Well, I am curious if you think Rainbow Vein's reaction is an appropriate one. Kate agreed that it was. Maybe I am just not taking Shakti seriously enough? I completely agree with you about timeliness, and every time I wonder about my own kundalini I am told "Don't worry about that right now.", and sometimes "Not yet" ;) . But I worry that other people are getting worried.

By the way, thanks for taking the time to make such detailed replies to my earlier posts. I was wondering, from your description of Water and Fire paths, there should also be Wind [edit: I mean Wood ], Metal, and Earth paths too, no? Do you know of any? And what is an example of a pure water path, that never uses the upward flow? And how would such a thing fit in with a the idea that a Taoist should be adept with all 5 phases?

Edited by Creation

I'm gonna chime in here, not because I've ever experienced Shakti, but because I'm beginning to feel powerful chi awakening. If one relaxes and opens everything with the downward energy flow, how common is it to trigger Shakti? Honestly, I'm terrified of a kundalini awakening from the stories herein. :o

There's a difference in outcomes if you are with a teacher or by yourself. Outcomes are much more positive with a teacher. Bradford Keeney, who is Shaman with the Bushman Shamans in the Kalhari desert in Africa states: "There are no kundalini accidents in the bush." The reason being is the rising takes place with community support. The energy is shared so that one doesn't build up too much of a charge. Your body is like a wet ware capacitor. It accumulates energy and eventually, if needed can be discharged. If you don't want to exchange with a person putting your hand on a healthy tree will do it.

When I speak of being relaxed it means this:

Energy will not move or will move with difficulty through tension. Primarily, we think of muscular tension but it can also be mental/emotional/spiritual tension or a combination. Relaxing the body is one way to modulate the intensity of the flow. Constriction of muscles increase the automatic movement of the body.

For me personally, if I don't keep a state of microtension in my body at all times (and it is now an unconscious effort) I would soon be overwhelmed with bliss waves of kundalini and my spine would begin to undulate in a sine wave motion. Soon I would enter into a state of samadhi. I can easily reverse the process and go to complete stillness. But, I have had many years of practice.

Chi and kundalini move in spirals just like life does. This will cause rocking in the body as the energy begins to flow more freely.

It is funny about the comment of the bubble bath. One practitioner I have known, when he would lay on his water bed the liquid in the mattress started to effervesce because of his kundalini. His wife would complain about the bubbling noise and bubbly feeling.

There were times when my kundalini was flowing so strong the saliva in my throat would bubble and hiss from the fine nature of the frequency. The fine vibration would also make my teeth zing like there was a sonic toothbrush on them. The next day a filling would fall out.

People, like Glenn Morris and Santiago, when they stand next to me or touch me comment on the champagne bubble quality of effervescence they feel that comes from my energy field. Personally, I can feel this effervescent feeling of bliss and movement running through my marrow all the time.

It is true, Shakti Kundalini, is the cosmic energy that shapes and destroys universes. But it is not impersonal and has a quality of supreme intelligence and wisdom. One only has to look at Kali and Durga to see some of the many manifestations of Kundalini that is capable of being experienced.

This is not meant to diminish the pain and suffering that others have felt. It happens and that's why I started the Kundalini Support Network back in 2003. Community is so important. Pain shared is pain lessened. It also gives one perspective. Sharing experiences helps one feel less isolated.

Sure there can be fear and isolation but there is also much joy, love, and peace which manifests as well.

s