idquest

Move to Outer Space or Face Extinction

I see that this conversation is based mostly on population and resources, and I identify/understand. However, astronomically, isnt an arm of the Andromeda galaxy supposed to sweep through our area in 15,000 years? Thats the same timeframe as from the caveman to now (more or less) and that is how much time we have to figure out how to live off-planet.

Gonna be a hell of a lot longer than that before Andromeda is *that* close! Andromeda should get here around the same time our sun changes its fuel cycle - another 4.5 billion years or so.

Well, I think it's become fashionable to appeal to the failed prophecies and superstitions of the past and conclude that ascertainable facts about resource depletion and human behavior are beyond our grasp. The only way to remain so cavalier in the midst of our contemporary global realities is to expel basic ecological and sociological facts from your mental universe.

Maybe the observer should make some observations? ;)

I second these statements. Just because nothing has happened in the past does not mean nothing will ever happen. The earth has never faced this set of circumstances.

Well, it will not matter where one goes, to be safe one needs first of all to be a good person who welcomes the Fa-rectification:

Master Li Hongzhi explains it very well(http://www.clearwisdom.net/html/article ... 74333.html):

So when human beings have come here and are among other human beings, whoever here, in this setting, goes beyond the set boundaries of this state and during the course of his life keeps doing serious harm to others and bad things, that person is spoiling this environment and spoiling this state that human beings are to have, and he is sinning against this momentous affair itself. So while Dafa is being disseminated and during the course of Dafa disciples' cultivation, when it comes to whether people can obtain the Fa and whether they can cultivate to the end, the amount of karma they accrued in history definitely causes varying degrees of challenges for them as human beings or as cultivators.

Put frankly, when it comes to the questions of whether someone can obtain the Fa and whether someone can cultivate all the way, there will be different forms of interference for different people. Those troubles all stem from the person's own past actions, so no one should complain. Who can obtain the Fa? Who can break out of the shell? And who can truly, rationally see this Fa for what it is? Viewed in this light, things are indeed fair for sentient beings.

For human beings, the attitude they hold toward something as significant as this is of utmost importance. So this state of delusion has an effect on human beings: When it comes to whether you can cultivate, whether you can see the Truth, whether you can see the true picture of things, and whether you can encounter this Fa, the fact that the lives are in a state of delusion indeed makes things terribly hard for them. That's why the Dafa disciples we have sitting here today don't include the entire human race.

Of course, as I have said, the spreading of Dafa has been fair to all beings. One's social status or position does not matter--only one's heart and one's attitude toward Dafa matter. In fact, the entire Fa-rectification has been done in this most lenient, most merciful manner. The mistakes that beings made in history are not counted against them. No matter how large of a crime you committed or mistake you made in history, none of it is held against you: Only your attitude towards Fa-rectification today and your understanding of Dafa matter.

That's the only thing that counts. If you can't accept even Dafa, then you have lost your chance. If you say, "I don't acknowledge Dafa," well, if you don't acknowledge Dafa you are not acknowledging the future, for the future is made by this Fa.

Well, I think it's become fashionable to appeal to the failed prophecies and superstitions of the past and conclude that ascertainable facts about resource depletion and human behavior are beyond our grasp. The only way to remain so cavalier in the midst of our contemporary global realities is to expel basic ecological and sociological facts from your mental universe.

Well Blasto here's my observation: Besides overpopulation, wars and famines we could also be instantaneously destroyed by a huge gamma energy burst before we even know what hit us. There's also a distinct possibility that the scientists involved with CERN could destroy the very fabric of reality in attempts at researching antimatter; and if all else fails we could be annihilated by an asteroid or run away planet.

Basically this is what I'm trying to say: I think (from my POV mind you, I really don't want to impose) that the most important thing, as a living being first and foremost, is to be a good person to yourself as well as others. If all (or at least a majority) are consciously working at being better people then all else falls into place.

Edited by The Observer

Well Blasto here's my observation: Besides overpopulation, wars and famines we could also be instantaneously destroyed by a huge gamma energy burst before we even know what hit us. There's also a distinct possibility that the scientists involved with CERN could destroy the very fabric of reality in attempts at researching antimatter; and if all else fails we could be annihilated by an asteroid or run away planet.

Basically this is what I'm trying to say: I think (from my POV mind you, I really don't want to impose) that the most important thing, as a living being first and foremost, is to be a good person to yourself as well as others. If all (or at least a majority) are consciously working at being better people then all else falls into place.

Right.

First of all, in your first paragraph you've mixed up earthbound contingencies that are at least within our ability to address with interplanetary calamaties that are beyond our control. You have to think this stuff through even to get a date on Friday night, much less have an intelligent conversation.

Your second paragraph pretty much kills your chances of getting a date unless the person you're going home with is intoxicated. If we all treat each other nicely, the problems of ecological collapse, the loss of biodiversity, pollution and war will be solved? Wow! Thanks for sharing.

This is the 21st century, possibly the last one that includes human life. I invite you get a library card and join the conversation.

Edited by Blasto

There's also a distinct possibility that the scientists involved with CERN could destroy the very fabric of reality in attempts at researching antimatter;

Basically this is what I'm trying to say: I think (from my POV mind you, I really don't want to impose) that the most important thing, as a living being first and foremost, is to be a good person to yourself as well as others. If all (or at least a majority) are consciously working at being better people...

Extremely remote, as in damn near impossible

And...yes :)

Extremely remote, as in damn near impossible

And...yes :)

Nope. Did you think there was an antimatter scientist here?

Seriously, the process in which matter comes in contact with antimatter is called PARTICLE ANNIHILATION.

IT DOES NOT, repeat DOES NOT WARP THE FABRIC OF SPACE (or reality).

When an electron comes in contact with an anti-electron or a positron it creates a nuclear explosion in the form of One Mega Electron Volt.

However there is an energy flux at the point of contact. There is no gravity or fabric of space distortion.

Okay science lesson over.

Edited by TheWhiteRabbit

Hawking is a great physicist with extreme knowledge in a very limited area. Concerning the survival of mankind, he knows no more than a chicken farmer.

I think that it was as late as 1972 that Alan Watts predicted that mankind wouldn't make it past the year 2000. What basic ecological and sociological facts do you see as leading to our destruction?