JohnC

Detoxing

Hi Ya Mu!

Thanks for the info. I'm mulling it all over. There are so many great teachers here that it's extremely hard to make a selection. I guess I like the idea that the teacher chooses the student but I think it was mentioned elsewhere on here that eclecticism is an interesting way for many (especially now we have the option!)

What's your opinion on multi-practice?

There is no need for all the drama and problems that are associated with particular approaches. Change is desired and needed to raise awareness but it needn't be violent. Usually the forced type practices or practices lacking a good closing method are the ones people have problems with. Think "in a natural progressive manner". So basically my answer to your question is yes this does happen but only in unbalanced systems.

I'd also say that there are instances where a practitioner can force the issue even in a balanced system - trying to detox to fast, being motivated by guilt or shame, the reasons could be many...

I think the best advice I've heard here and else where is to work with an accomplished teacher and/or CCM/TCM practitioner. And don't try and do it all at once. It's taken your whole life to build the patterns you now exhibit, it may take a lot of time and practice and treatment to reverse these patterns. Those with damp heat patterns, for example, need to progress very slowly to move through stagnation/deficiency without aggravating the heat...

Hi Ya Mu!

Thanks for the info. I'm mulling it all over. There are so many great teachers here that it's extremely hard to make a selection. I guess I like the idea that the teacher chooses the student but I think it was mentioned elsewhere on here that eclecticism is an interesting way for many (especially now we have the option!)

What's your opinion on multi-practice?

I use a few exercises from several different systems occasionally. These are from the more body oriented systems that I like.

I will tell you what I was told by a VERY accomplished Teacher:

It is better to walk a long ways down one path than a short ways down many paths.

Thanks guys for all the replies.

Yea it was weird. I am very very healthy, green tea twice a day, dump sugar, work out/exercise daily, and do my practice at least 2 hours a day. So this was like WTF?!?!

I went to the doc and got some anti histamines which helped, but for the most part it was like I was walking around with poison in my body. Like if I walked a lot it would move to my extremities (hands/feet) and if I layed down it would be in patterns around my chest and on my face.

Coupled with that I was with my girl for the weekend and going to weddings and the like. :blush::angry::D

Back to practicing and it looks like it's cleared up.

Edited by JohnC

"It is better to walk a long ways down one path than a short ways down many paths."

Why do you think he said that? I guess for me it gets back to what each path inherently offers and whether that lines up with one's own aims. Notwithstanding the aim of each path itself. :huh: We rarely discuss what those might be.

From what I understand, in "Taoism" (seems bizarre to use such a broad term, but the Tao that can be named ain't etc :lol:) there are so many alternatives on offer (i.e. longevity, health, martial prowess, healing etc to name but a few).

"It is better to walk a long ways down one path than a short ways down many paths."

Why do you think he said that? I guess for me it gets back to what each path inherently offers and whether that lines up with one's own aims. Notwithstanding the aim of each path itself. :huh: We rarely discuss what those might be.

From what I understand, in "Taoism" (seems bizarre to use such a broad term, but the Tao that can be named ain't etc :lol:) there are so many alternatives on offer (i.e. longevity, health, martial prowess, healing etc to name but a few).

He said that because we all have a choice. To truly master anything one must immerse themselves in it for a lifetime. So we can be half-ass practitioners of many many systems or we can truly utilize a path to it's utmost in the attempt for freedom. Few make it to this freedom with the distractions of trying to be a jack of all trades.

if this is a "normal" detox reaction due to any of your practices, i would think that it would come and go naturally within a few days, that it wouldn't become a longstanding problem. i believe that this can happen though, with intense practices that are not well balanced, causing heat to accumulate in excess in certain areas of the body, etc.

i had something similar happen to me last year following an acupuncture treatment. there was nothing that special about my treatment, i was going regularly. but later on that night i started feeling itchy on my abdomen. i eventually looked and had big red splotches, like hives almost. they were symmetrical red areas on both sides of my abdomen. tried to think of what i ate that day, what i may have touched, and nothing came to mind. i chose to relax and not panic about it.

as the evening went on, the red marks moved around my body, following meridians. it was very bizarre! at some point i had lines going down and up my legs following exact meridian paths. when i noticed this i kind of relaxed and figured i was letting out some serious toxins and heat following my treatment.

it did get worse overnight, my legs even swelled up a bit and the redness was up to my neck by the next afternoon. i went to see my acupuncturist again and he did some work on me to help release everything that was coming up. that treatment was intense, a had a powerful release of emotions, i cried my eyes out and i just couldn't stop. all this sadness came to the surface. i felt so relieved when i left. the hives were gone the next day.

One more piece of information we need is that when we look at the limbs we will see that they are "segmented" in 7 stages. For example, with the arm starting at the neck, we have phase 1 to the shoulder, phase 2 from the shoulder to the elbow, phase 3 from the elbow to the wrist, phase 4 from the wrist to the knuckles, and we have three phases between the knuckles and the tips of the finger. This is a spiralic motion when we curl our fingers in and tuck the hand under the shoulder, representing the seven-fold organization of each internal organ, with the tips of the fingers/toes representing the deepest, innermost regions of the organ.

So, how does this information help us with self-diagnosis?

Well, many times we develop pain, swelling, and skin break-outs on the fingers and toes. These all indicate there are stagnations in the organs correlated with the organ meridians on the respective fingers and toes and that these stagnations are in the deepest areas of the organ in question. For example, pain and swelling may develop in the first joint of the thumb. Then you know that there are problems going on in the lung, if it on the left thumb, then the problem is in the left lung.

This article claims that the farther out on your extremities your skin disorder, the deeper the damage in your corresponding organ. Therefore, your heart blockage was probably fairly superficial...

But again, I would also treat both the outlying "symptoms" and the deeper organs, whether you think it is "detoxing" or not. Better to cover all the bases and be safer than sorry on both counts.

Edited by vortex

"So we can be half-ass practitioners of many many systems or we can truly utilize a path to it's utmost in the attempt for freedom."

Thanks Ya Mu!

Now I have another really dumb question (of the day).

Freedom from what exactly? Personally I reckon, freedom from my (fake) self would be a good start. I'm (paradoxically) working on it from a number of angles.

I ought to add that my working on it is full-assed. :)

What I want to do with "systems" is get an understanding (not a brain-one <_< ) of what in hell's name I'm good at doing for people. Then do it. I guess that's pretty much it. :blink:

He said that because we all have a choice. To truly master anything one must immerse themselves in it for a lifetime. So we can be half-ass practitioners of many many systems or we can truly utilize a path to it's utmost in the attempt for freedom. Few make it to this freedom with the distractions of trying to be a jack of all trades.

If I could keep up my single meditation(before bed) every day i'd be happy. It is amazing how difficult it can become to find the time, working 11-12 hours a day - going back to a tiny POD filled with three other guys who work different shifts and come in and out while your trying to sleep or concentrate on meditation.

Fuuu! I'll stick with the gym until this is done with! (and at least get "in shape")^_^

"So we can be half-ass practitioners of many many systems or we can truly utilize a path to it's utmost in the attempt for freedom."

Thanks Ya Mu!

Now I have another really dumb question (of the day).

Freedom from what exactly? Personally I reckon, freedom from my (fake) self would be a good start. I'm (paradoxically) working on it from a number of angles.

I ought to add that my working on it is full-assed. :)

What I want to do with "systems" is get an understanding (not a brain-one <_< ) of what in hell's name I'm good at doing for people. Then do it. I guess that's pretty much it. :blink:

Freedom from living an amnesia of who you really are. Freedom from being bogged by the illusions of the mundane through the process of burning through these illusions. Freedom to participate in creation rather than being a victim inside creation. Freedom to walk in the Wu Wei and be in the synchronicity of the ebb and flow of creative energetics. Freedom to wake up and evolve through utilizing the many true processes.

What I want to do with "systems" is get an understanding (not a brain-one <_< ) of what in hell's name I'm good at doing for people. Then do it. I guess that's pretty much it.

...find and fulfill your Destiny. Difficult to do without raising the energy body vibration so as to link with your Higher Level self.

I talk about all this in A Light Warrior's Guide.

Benefits of watermelon:

The alkalinizing effect maintains the acid-alkaline balance in the body, neutralizing the toxic condition of the body resulting from excessive intake of acid-forming foods.

I use something that is as alkalizing as it is common and cheap: My main drink is tap water with some baking soda in it (sodium hydrogen carbonate).

This daily supportive diet of mine also includes micro-algae (sprirulina+chlorella) and kefir.

Can anybody who's versed in nutrition comment on this? Or wouldn't it make sense without knowing my metabolism and stuff?

He actually developed a burning red stripe on his head (accidentally)...

...Sounds like a real headache, no pun intended.

What difference would it make if your pun were intended? ;)

Edited by Hardyg

I use something that is as alkalinizing as it is common and cheap: My main drink is tap water with some baking soda in it (sodium hydrogen carbonate).

This daily supportive diet of mine also includes micro-algae (sprirulina+chlorella) and kefir.

Can anybody who's versed in nutrition comment on this? Or wouldn't it make sense without knowing my metabolism and stuff?

My guess would be that it could disrupt your digestion if you used too much for too long. Green tea alkalizes the bloodstream very well and has dozens of other documented benefits. I'd get busy on Google!

Green tea and alkalizing, OK, but could it be that the tea itself is acidic? Or at least contains acids?

When I drank a lot of green tea, it created dark stains on my teeth that were difficult to remove, while drinking super-alkaline water is really a death sentence to all acid-loving bacteria in the mouth (and at other places).

I mean... without the acid-borne threat to the teeth, what else (non-mechanical) should harm them? You can have all kinds of 'junk' in your mouth; As long as it's not acidic... the defense layer of the teeth remains unharmed.

Oh by the way... I just had an idea for a drink creation based on my diet: 1-day kefir (low acid content) mixed with spirulina and chlorella powder -> "Primal Soup" :D

I haven't tried it yet (no powder algae), but it must look ... interesting. :lol:

Depending on the final look, maybe it could also be called "Swamp Vomit".

Edited by Hardyg

5) I would also recommend cupping too

Probably the easiest to do by yourself is spooning, at least in some regions that are easily reachable. Just take a spoon or fork (edges have to be slightly rounded so this won't injure the skin) and stroke with pressure over muscle areas, on the arms or legs, shoulders, neck. Whatever you can reach. AFAIK when you feel stinging, it means that region needs this treatment a lot. Bruises will occur there quickly. Ideally, rest, drink warm water and don't eat after that.

I did this on my arms, and after a few days when the bruises were gone, I did it again and no bruises were forming.

• Like 1