goldisheavy

Tell me what offends you, and I will tell you who you are

I'm not easily offended...one can say damn near anything they want of me and my inclination is normally a :rolleyes: whatever...but I'm exponentially more likely to take a different course of action when the subject is my friends.

I'm not easily offended...one can say damn near anything they want of me and my inclination is normally a :rolleyes: whatever...but I'm exponentially more likely to take a different course of action when the subject is my friends.

Is that an invitation to see if I can offend you?

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist.)

Peace & Love!

Being offended is NEVER a good thing. The ego may try and fool itself into believing that it is, but its simply not true.

If something offends us, it owns us. We have then become puppets on a string, helplessly reacting to our perceptions. We are the ones who suffer, not the other person or situation. It's like taking poison and hoping the other person or situation will die. It never works.

This is just another example of attachment, of how we are owned each and every day by our impulsive and habitual tendency to cling to and desire some perceptions and dislike and push away others. Puppets on a string, and very very few people even notice this happening, or they 'see it' on some level and it challenges the ego so they fool themselves into believing such nonsense like "being offended is a good thing."

Awareness is a magical thing. Being offended or full of desire is to be caught by the objects of our awareness and is a prison. With awareness we can make changes personally and socially, the offense/desire is not required and actually creates obstacles to these positive changes.

• Like 2

Nice post. :)

Just noting that I found a reaction in myself to your first line.

That's quite a strong stance. ;) 'Never' and 'always' are words I words I rarely use.

Your post is a reminder to myself to explore my reactions with a genuine curiousity. Thanks for the opportunity. :)

RV, I use qualifiers too.. partly its because I'm english.. and sometimes here I experiment and edit out my qualifiers.

Some of us need to start experiment by using qualifiers, and others need to experiment with using them less.

In the spirit of exploration...!

RV, I use qualifiers too.. partly its because I'm english.. and sometimes here I experiment and edit out my qualifiers.

Some of us need to start experiment by using qualifiers, and others need to experiment with using them less.

In the spirit of exploration...!

That's almost quite true.

Yes, I said never. :D

When is allowing someone or something to destroy our peace of mind ever a good thing?

I just wish I could take this understanding from the mind to the heart. One of my main teachers always says that the longest journey is from the head to the heart. We can often understand these things mentally and logically, but they don't always reflect in our thoughts, speech and actions. It's a moment by moment, day by day process, but it all starts with awareness and seeing the problem. If we fool ourselves into thinking we are justified, then the growth stops right there. We will continue to go through life with buttons all over us, just waiting for the next person or situation to push a button.

• Like 2

It is good to be offended , but for the right reasosns.

Infact we need to become so much more ofended concerning human rights and earths rights in order to create more pleasent living conditions and enviroment .

Knowing when to be tolerant and when not to be tolerant is an art in itself. Just being constantly tolerant can also be leathal .

• Like 4

If I don't meditate I get more easily offended. I find meditation hits a reset button in my psyche. I don't jump or react to sudden sounds and am generally mellower. Ofcourse Scotch works too.

Too often we take offense where no offense is meant. Particularly online where communication is garbled by lack of tone and body language.

Who do I take offense at? Lately its those who I label <correctly or not> conspiracy theory nuts. Next month I'll move onto another group. Probably cat people.

• Like 2

I am profusely offended by other individual persons infringing upon the sacred and intrinsic right of free will that all individual persons share; anyone who I observe trespassing upon the free will of another person just plain pisses me off.

• Like 2