Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

the practices listed on 21 June ;

i differ only in the advanced seated  II b.    (btw  i  don't have disk available but believe 80 70 50 30? )

instead I do 60 70 40 5 immediately followed by 20 40 90 10

I have all the sensations listed  except  NO  blue light ... once or twice i have had a purple flash 

also  esp in the last I have an intense opening sensation in bai hui ..

peace

• Like 1

Sifu Terry, how do I know when I'm ready for the volume 4 capstone exercise?

Hi Yuyumonk,

In general, you'll know when you're ready for the next meditation when you feel "saturated" with the energy effects of the present one you're practicing. 

If you've regularly practiced all of the  stationary standing Flying Phoenix Meditations on Volume 1 (Monk Holds Pearl, Monk Holds Peach, Mong Gazing At Moon) and all the moving meditations taught on Volumes 1 and 3 (Bending the Bows, Wind Above the Clouds, Wind Through Treetops, and Moonbeam Splashes on Water) and intimately know the energizing effects of each exercise, and you're  doing the moving meditations correctly, comfortably, and are close to doing them effortlessly--i.e.,  feeling as if the movements feel as if they're doing themselves--then you're probably ready to start the Long Form capstone meditation. 

One way to be certain that you're ready to start the Vol.4 Long Form Meditation is to have me to review how you do all the FP standing meditations, especially the 4 moving meditations named above.

On the other hand, if you have a lot of experience (let's say, 10+ years) in Tai Chi or any other internal martial art like Bagua or Liu He Ba Fa, and are proficient with those kinds of forms, one can start Vol.4 capstone exercise right out the gate.  All the FP Meditaitons are synergistic with one another and the practice of any combination of the FP Meditations (taught in the CKFH DVD series Volumes 1-5 and Vol.7) That's what Ridingtheox in Arizona did about about 5-6 years ago.  Because he had some 20 years of Tai Chi experience, he was able to jump right into practicing the Vol. 4 program and got immediate, profoundly energizing results.  I recall that he said (as others have) that doing the Vol.4 Long Form Meditation two times a day was all that he needed, for that was  all he could take because that practice imparted so much energy for his day to day activities.   Then he went back and picked up all the preceding FP Meds. in Volumes 1 thru 3 and reported that he found each one on those more basic meditations were uniquely powerful and effective.

Thanks a lot for posting this question!

Regards,

Sifu Terry

P.S  **One point I wish to emphasize here again is that "Moonbeam Splashes on Water" (taught on Vol.3) is a very important FP Meditation and makes the Vol.4 Long Form Meditation that much easier and more effective to do.  I can tell by the relative dearth of comments and questions about "Moonbeam" over the years on this thread that most FP practitioners are not practicing enough of it.  "Moonbeam" requires persevering practice to derive its full benefits. I encourage all FP practitioners to redouble your efforts in mastering this relatively short moving meditation.  It will be well worth it.

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

the practices listed on 21 June ;

i differ only in the advanced seated  II b.    (btw  i  don't have disk available but believe 80 70 50 30? )

instead I do 60 70 40 5 immediately followed by 20 40 90 10

I have all the sensations listed  except  NO  blue light ... once or twice i have had a purple flash 

also  esp in the last I have an intense opening sensation in bai hui ..

peace

Hi Charlie,

That's a good combination of seated MSW meditations.  They also demonstrate how powerful simplicity is:  the 60 70 40 5 med. is only 5 movements and the 20 40 90 10 is only 4 movements...and yet they do what they do.

When they are practiced long enough, each of the FP / MSW meditations generally affect people the same way.  i.e., people report similar sensations.  e.g., with the 20 40 90 10 MSW, everyone in my LA classes (especially in the 90's when I was teaching a lot of FP Qigong) reported an intense "opening" sensation in the hemispheres of the brain starting from the back of the skull.

Don't worry about experiencing blue light or not...or any of the other sensations reported.  What will come will come.  Every  benefit of the FP Qigong system as presaged/described by GM Doo Wai comes sooner or later.

Best,

Sifu Terry

• Like 1

Hey there,

last week I had my first Tao Tan Pai session with Sifu Terry. This was just incredible! Although I booked a 45 minute session, Sifu Terry was most generous in giving me some extra minutes and packed 5 exercises in one lesson.

I enjoyed it very much - and I sweated through it. At the moment I can only say Tao Tan Pai feels different and generates a whole lot of heat in me - I was sweating a lot :) But other than that I will have to practice it to determine what it does to me... So besides the wonderful FP lessons I can recommend you also Sifu's TTP lessons. It is always a pleasure to learn from his vast knowledge.

I don't want to derail the FP thread but thought I would share it with you...

Greetings,

Julian

When I had my TTP session with Sifu Terry I was grateful for the heat since it was winter and I kept my apartment heat on very low to save expenses so I appreciated the free heat!

An update on the noise issue: the Tao was giving me the answer right in front of me--be one with the noise by creating my own. I just threw my hands up one day and turned the volume full blast for Om Mani Padme Hum on my iPad before beginning FPQG. That dealt with 95% of all the crazy noise in Manila from my apartment and allowed full concentration free of sudden distraction or upset...and then I had a dream of meeting and having tea with Sifu Terry.

Having done this now for a few days, I can definitely say the benefits of the first standing and seated meditations created a calm and healing effect that led to a presence my students and patients noticed even before treating them. (Side note: I teach other styles, definitely not FPQG). 

Thank you again Sifu Terry and the Doo Wai family and the spirits who bequeathed the gift of Flying Phoenix--I want to give more back because I feel I've ripped off Sifu Terry and the system by paying as low as I did for the DVDs when these are great treasures so priceless that I can't even comprehend how much I owe for this privilege of practicing it. 

Edited by Earl Grey
  • Like 4

I second the attitude about the worth of the dvds. I have stated my opinion about that on this thread before.

Not that many months ago I paid $200 for someone's qigong dvd and it was the worse quality I have ever seen, in fact, it matched the guy's online advertisements which looked like they were shot in his bedroom. It was so bad I did not even finish watching the entire dvd. The low prices of the Flying Phoenix series do not reflect the high quality of the production or the benefits of the chi kung methods.

• Like 1

Hi sifu terry,

first of all i want to say your dvds and systems are truly amazing and this is one incedible art.

Secondly im having some trouble with some of the methods, for example in volume one and volume two, can i practise all five in one go?

If i do that, after lets say the first exercise do i have to do the three breathes ending it and then do the three breathes to start again? And then continue to the second exercise.

Thirdly, about the breathe % when you say inhale fully does that mean inhale for 10seconds and exhale 60% means exhale for 6seconds? From there you say to inhale to your lungs and exhale fully , so we dont inhale to our danien and expand contract only inhale to our lungs (no diaghraphm breathing) do we do that fast or slow becuase i seem to run out of breathe holding my breathe in when i try to inhale for ten seconds....

Lastly when breathing (either standing or sitting) do i do normal breathing or reverse breathing and also do i focus on my dantien while breathing or focus on my laogong or yongquan points when inhale/exhale.

I also have been feeling a heat in my belly throughout the day at random times of the day, is this normal?

And does one have to stop having sex while practising these qigong.

Thankyou sifu terry hope you could shed your knowledge on these couple inquires i have.

Have a great day :)

• Like 2

As far as using any loud music during qigong I would say not a good idea since loud music adds stress to the nervous system and qigong, like meditation, results in reducing stress. So adding to the level of stress in order to reduce stress, LOL.

I wouldn't consider Tibetan monks chanting Om Mani Padme Hum loud music per se for both the kind of music or the volume of music (even at full blast), but my understanding (and it has worked well so far for the first two standing and seated meditations) is that when there is emptiness, it will be filled; i.e. when I have "silence" in my apartment, either the trains honk loudly every half hour or someone is slamming doors on my floor or the dustman is ringing his bell to collect everyone's waste. 

When I have fullness, i.e. when I have Om Mani Padme Hum playing, then the rest of the ambient noise doesn't affect me because of the chanting.

• Like 1

Hi sifu terry,

first of all i want to say your dvds and systems are truly amazing and this is one incedible art.

Secondly im having some trouble with some of the methods, for example in volume one and volume two, can i practise all five in one go?

If i do that, after lets say the first exercise do i have to do the three breathes ending it and then do the three breathes to start again? And then continue to the second exercise.

Thirdly, about the breathe % when you say inhale fully does that mean inhale for 10seconds and exhale 60% means exhale for 6seconds? From there you say to inhale to your lungs and exhale fully , so we dont inhale to our danien and expand contract only inhale to our lungs (no diaghraphm breathing) do we do that fast or slow becuase i seem to run out of breathe holding my breathe in when i try to inhale for ten seconds....

Lastly when breathing (either standing or sitting) do i do normal breathing or reverse breathing and also do i focus on my dantien while breathing or focus on my laogong or yongquan points when inhale/exhale.

I also have been feeling a heat in my belly throughout the day at random times of the day, is this normal?

Thankyou sifu terry hope you could shed your knowledge on these couple inquires i have.

Hi phanman Im also new to this forum, even though I have read most of the FP posts, I only recently joined thedaobums. As your post has been up for a few days, without a response, I have decided to give you some answers to your questions. As I've said I have read most of these 232 pages and I did practice vol 1 and 2 a few years ago (recently started this great practice again), so I will attempt to answer, but hopefully Sifu Terry or someone else with more experience can give you better advice.

Yes I have to agree. This is the best Chi Kung I have ever practiced, especially when it comes to healing and cultivating energy. I've had shoulder and hip pain go away and few years ago my right kidney pain decreased and when I urinated (had urge to go to toilet often after some time practicing FP) my urine would be dark brown. It was as if FP practice was cleansing/detoxing my kidneys. I had never experienced something like this before.

Yes you can practice all five in one go. You can also take a few minutes break between. You have to always end a meditation with 3 breaths and start every new meditation with 3 breaths.

Yes the easiest and most consistently accurate way to do the breath % is to assign 1 sec for every 10%. Later on when you become more experienced, you can do it quicker. The way I do a full breath is with diaphragmatic breathing (expand the belly) and expand the lungs. So I start with breathing into belly and as I inhale I move upwards to expand the chest. This should be done in a smooth fashion with no holding of the breath. First practice only full 10 sec in and full 10 sec out, until you can comfortably do the 10 sec breathing, before starting the meditations with breath %. For me this was easy as I have been doing yoga pranayam for quite some time before I started with FP.

After the 3 full breaths and the breath %, you just breath normally with the belly like most chi kung practices, so post natal breathing, but I believe Sifu Terry once said that you can at a later stage do reverse (pre-natal) breathing if you wish, but I'm not certain? Rather stick to belly breathing, like what is taught on Sifu Terry's DVDs. With FP you don't have to use any imagination or focusing on any particular point or energy gate. Just go with the flow and be one with the practice. Heat is normal, also other sensations. You don't have to stop having sex, obviously it is best to rather wait some time (hour or 2) before and after doing FP and also some moderation should help (don't overtax your body).

A last note on breathing, I used to, in the beginning, do the last full out breath (last breath through mouth) with the tongue not touching the upper palate, but I believe you should still keep your tongue touching upper palate (behind teeth) because Sifu Terry said that the tongue must be kept there throughout the practice.

Hope this helps. Hopefully others will also comment on your questions.

Hi sifu terry,

Hello Phanman,

Sorry to take so long to answer your post.  But it was a rough last week.  (Worldwide as well and up through today, sadly).

I'm glad to hear that you are discovering the wonderful energizing and healing power of Flying Phoenix Qigong.

im having some trouble with some of the methods, for example in volume one and volume two, can i practise all five in one go?

Yes, you can practice all the 5 standing meditationson Vol.1 and all the 6 seated meditations on Vol.2 in one session.  All the meditations are synergistic with one another.  So after a while, you can change the order of practice and mix them as you pleasel.  But in the end, one needs to practice all of them to the same thorough extent and feel that one has become fuly "saturated" with each Meditations energization.

Yes, for every FP Qigong meditation, you start it with 3 deep breaths and end it with 3 deep breaths.  Then you start the next exercises with 3 full breathes, etc.

You can estimate the percentage exhalations in the FP Qigong breath-control formulas according to time by timing you fullest breath cycles and then partitioning them into tenths.  As per earlier postings I made on this thread (you should review the entire thread over time), Sifu Garry Hearfield and I separately came up with the same method of estimating the breath percentages:   by mentally counting "one potato, two potato, three potato, four potato--for a 40% exhalation, for example.

NO, do NOT do reverse breathing when you start FP Qigong.  Just do simple and natural natal breathing.  You also DO NOT NEED TO FOCUS ON ANY POINT in the body or any mental imagery during FP Qigong meditation according to any particular yogic tradition--the Hindoo 7 chakara system or any Taoist maps of the internal alchemy.  NO VISUALIZATIONS ARE NECESSARY WHATSOEVER.  JUST DO ASSUME THE POSTURE, DO THE BREATHING FORMULA AND THEN HOLD THE POSTURE OR DO THE MOVEMENTS ACCURATELY.

Did the heat in the belly come into your awareness right when you started FP Qigong practice?

--and has continued with FP practice? 

Also have you practiced any other Qigong system or meditation before?

If yes, the FP Qigong may be catalyzing and activating the effects of those past practices. 

If not, then the heat might be from the FP Qigong directly.  It should not be an uncomfortable sensation.  If it is, then something else is going on.

And does one have to stop having sex while practising these qigong?

NO.  As I relayed in earlier posts during the first year of this thread, you do not have to adjust your sexual activity in any way when practicing FP Qigong.  the FP Qigong practice will naturally enable you to subconsciously regulate your habits including sex life in a healthful manner.  I'll repeat again here that GM Doo Wai said that we could continue as usual--which I interpreted as us being able to knock ourselves out in that department.

*thanks to Shiva33 above who answered most of your questions correctly.

The one thing he said that is not correct is that on the third breath at the end any FP Qigong meditation:  you exhale through the mouth with the tongue flat and not touching the mouth.  (Shiva33 took my instructions on the DVD too literally and extrapolated it incorrectly on that detail.)

Hope this answers all your questions, PM!

Regards,

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Hi phanman Im also new to this forum, even though I have read most of the FP posts, I only recently joined thedaobums. As your post has been up for a few days, without a response, I have decided to give you some answers to your questions. As I've said I have read most of these 232 pages and I did practice vol 1 and 2 a few years ago (recently started this great practice again), so I will attempt to answer, but hopefully Sifu Terry or someone else with more experience can give you better advice.

Yes I have to agree. This is the best Chi Kung I have ever practiced, especially when it comes to healing and cultivating energy. I've had shoulder and hip pain go away and few years ago my right kidney pain decreased and when I urinated (had urge to go to toilet often after some time practicing FP) my urine would be dark brown. It was as if FP practice was cleansing/detoxing my kidneys. I had never experienced something like this before.

Yes you can practice all five in one go. You can also take a few minutes break between. You have to always end a meditation with 3 breaths and start every new meditation with 3 breaths.

Yes the easiest and most consistently accurate way to do the breath % is to assign 1 sec for every 10%. Later on when you become more experienced, you can do it quicker. The way I do a full breath is with diaphragmatic breathing (expand the belly) and expand the lungs. So I start with breathing into belly and as I inhale I move upwards to expand the chest. This should be done in a smooth fashion with no holding of the breath. First practice only full 10 sec in and full 10 sec out, until you can comfortably do the 10 sec breathing, before starting the meditations with breath %. For me this was easy as I have been doing yoga pranayam for quite some time before I started with FP.

After the 3 full breaths and the breath %, you just breath normally with the belly like most chi kung practices, so post natal breathing, but I believe Sifu Terry once said that you can at a later stage do reverse (pre-natal) breathing if you wish, but I'm not certain? Rather stick to belly breathing, like what is taught on Sifu Terry's DVDs. With FP you don't have to use any imagination or focusing on any particular point or energy gate. Just go with the flow and be one with the practice. Heat is normal, also other sensations. You don't have to stop having sex, obviously it is best to rather wait some time (hour or 2) before and after doing FP and also some moderation should help (don't overtax your body).

A last note on breathing, I used to, in the beginning, do the last full out breath (last breath through mouth) with the tongue not touching the upper palate, but I believe you should still keep your tongue touching upper palate (behind teeth) because Sifu Terry said that the tongue must be kept there throughout the practice.

Hope this helps. Hopefully others will also comment on your questions.

Hello Shiva33,

Welcome to the FPCK community.  And thanks for answering Phanman's questions correctly by citing the DVD instruction.

One minor thing that you got wrong is to assume that one keeps the tongue on roof of the mouth on the third breath when exhaling through the mouth.  On the third breath taken to  end any FP Meditation, you exhale through the mouth with the tongue flat.

Enjoy the practice and we'll look forward to your progress reports and questios.

Regards,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

Thank you Sifu Terry for correcting me. I've always thought it didn't feel quite right when I did the last exhale with tongue still touching the upper palate. :D

Maybe now the FP energy will feel more settled when I finish a meditation. Thanks again. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for this wonderful topic. I have read about 1/10 of it about now, lot of info! I wish it was better organised, like a forum of its own, because there is so much quality information in there, and sometimes hard look back and find the gems that inspired me before.

Anyway I just started with practicing DVD 1 & 2 and am really enjoying it. I've dabbled with different Qigong styles but this one might actually stick because of it's completeness, lineage, the good vibes of Terry, and feeling of perfectly balanced cleanliness, or just because it resonates. We'll see :-)

First question: Siffu Garry notes that Flying Phoenix is a complete Neigong. The little I understand of Neigong or energetic development/alchemy is that, in most systems, it follows a clear line of development with a few milestones like, waking up the lower Dantian, feeling of heat, microcosmic orbit, macrocosmic orbit and the development and integration of the other Dantians.  How does Flying Phoenix fit in with that?

I practice Qigong mainly for the reasons of health, and to become a better healer (and opening up to energetic & spiritual experience is a nice bonus). I have a Reiki practice, and just started with a Reiki teacher who teaches Traditional Reiki from a Japanese Lineage. In that lineage you get one exercise until the teacher sees you master it, than the next (starts with lower Dantien work, sounds familiar? ;-) ) and the whole proces takes a few years, although the last 'level' is endless. One of the great conceptual benefits of Reiki over Qigong is that the emphasis is on becoming a better channel instead of building a greater reserve (think the Magician Tarot card ;-) ) but this might just be a conceptual difference.

I'm also studying acupuncture and the whole of TCM (which is a lifetime quest), and I think that Flying Phoenix is a great match for my goals. 

Second question: I've read that silent meditation is a great addition to Flying Phoenix, because of my other practices my meditation is either -just sitting- or meditation on the lower dantian (hara), is that alright? 

• Like 1

Frederick, as you continue reading these posts you will see multiple times where Sifu Terry explains that Flying Phoenix Chi Kung does not follow TCM, it cannot be understood in terms of TCM. I am sure he will elaborate on this.

• Like 3

And just for your benefit Sifu, since you work(ed) with Tarot. I did a reading before really taking up FP, because I just was given some new exercises in the lineage of Shaolin Cosmic Chi Kung (through Anthony Korahaisspecifically for my chronic fatigue, which focusses on creating a feeling of energetic flow (drawing down the heavens, lifting up the sky and others) followed by a spontaneous qigong called 'flowing breeze, sweeping willow', which had immediate beneficial effects for my set of symptoms.

The reading:

Should I focus on

a) drawing down the heavens (e.a.) leading up to flowing breeze sweeping willow? Page of Swords

B) Flying Phoenix? Two of Cups

c) Both in their own time (drawing down the heavens a few times a day, to nourish, dredge & circulate). The Universe

I am indeed falling in love with Flying Phoenix! 

For now I have memorized the first three basic seated meditations (the second can easily bring a very ecstatic feeling, the third a deep relaxation), and the first two standing. Over time I will add the other basic standing meditations first. I have about an hour each morning, and time really flies by when communing with the blue phoenix! 

Two more questions:

Third question: Can flying phoenix take care of all the health benefits that I might gain from Tai Chi. I've done some basic level 37 tai chi a long time ago, and think of picking it up again, but ask if it might be as beneficial (for health & healing) to just focus on FP.

Fourth question: In the description of the 5 basic standing meditations I read that the three dantian meditations build up the energy and the moving ones circulate it. Is there a reason bending the bows is done in between the upper (gazing) and middle dantian (peach) one, and not at the end of the three static standing meditations?

I'm sure these questions all resolve themselves after enough practice, but the western mind likes to think and understand ;-)

Namaste

• Like 1

Thank you Tao Stillness! I just came to the part of the thread (1/5th in) were Siffu Terry says exactly that.  :blush:

I'll take Flying Phoenix exactly is it is, just do it, and allow it to reveal its own language and mystery on its own time.

Edited by Frederic
  • Like 1

You sound wise Frederick.

I see that you are really into Reiki. I have been doing Reiki since 1991, very different feel to that energy compared to that from Flying Phoenix. What has impressed me with Reiki is that when you learn level two you can immediately send healing energy long distance and it works very strongly. There is no need to build up any energy before being able to heal self and others with that energy.

Edited by tao stillness
  • Like 2

Thank you all for this wonderful topic. I have read about 1/10 of it about now, lot of info! I wish it was better organised, like a forum of its own, because there is so much quality information in there, and sometimes hard look back and find the gems that inspired me before.

Anyway I just started with practicing DVD 1 & 2 and am really enjoying it. I've dabbled with different Qigong styles but this one might actually stick because of it's completeness, lineage, the good vibes of Terry, and feeling of perfectly balanced cleanliness, or just because it resonates. We'll see :-)

First question: Siffu Garry notes that Flying Phoenix is a complete Neigong. The little I understand of Neigong or energetic development/alchemy is that, in most systems, it follows a clear line of development with a few milestones like, waking up the lower Dantian, feeling of heat, microcosmic orbit, macrocosmic orbit and the development and integration of the other Dantians.  How does Flying Phoenix fit in with that?

I practice Qigong mainly for the reasons of health, and to become a better healer (and opening up to energetic & spiritual experience is a nice bonus). I have a Reiki practice, and just started with a Reiki teacher who teaches Traditional Reiki from a Japanese Lineage. In that lineage you get one exercise until the teacher sees you master it, than the next (starts with lower Dantien work, sounds familiar? ;-) ) and the whole proces takes a few years, although the last 'level' is endless. One of the great conceptual benefits of Reiki over Qigong is that the emphasis is on becoming a better channel instead of building a greater reserve (think the Magician Tarot card ;-) ) but this might just be a conceptual difference.

I'm also studying acupuncture and the whole of TCM (which is a lifetime quest), and I think that Flying Phoenix is a great match for my goals. 

Second question: I've read that silent meditation is a great addition to Flying Phoenix, because of my other practices my meditation is either -just sitting- or meditation on the lower dantian (hara), is that alright? 

Hello Frederic,

Welcome to the FPCK discussion and I'm glad you're enjoying your exploraiton of Flying PHoenix Qigong with Volumes 1 and 2 of the DVD series.  Here are answers to your questions.   (Several of your questions are answered in depth in the early sections of this thread, but I will give these answers here again [in blue].)

"Perfectly balanced cleaniness" -- that is an accurate (partial) description of the very pristine and unique Flying Phoenix Healing energy that we cultivate with this practice.

The little I understand of Neigong or energetic development/alchemy is that, in most systems, it follows a clear line of development with a few milestones like, waking up the lower Dantian, feeling of heat, microcosmic orbit, macrocosmic orbit and the development and integration of the other Dantians.  How does Flying Phoenix fit in with that?

It doesn't.  FP Qigong utilizes no visualizations whatsoever nor does it rely any type of yogic doctrine or theories, or on anyone's conceptualization of what Nei Kung is.  FP Qigong is one of those rare arts that works-- in which you don't need to read anything or subscribe to any medical model or cosmology in order to derive maximum benefit from its practice.  But since we all have human curiosity, it is natural to try to seek words to describe our experience or to corroborate it with others.  After you become proficient in the FP Qigong, you can formulate and describe your experience in any terms that you want.  But the long trend has been that once FP Qigong practitioners become proficient to the point of seeing a luminescent cobalt blue in their aura and in their internal environment with eyes closes, they are pretty much speechless in reverence to the sublimity of this art. 

Again: no conceptual framework is necessary to understand FP Qigong is and what it does.  (As per the Nike commercial slogan, you JUST DO IT.)   As you'll read further in this thread, all one needs to do is do the breath-control formula and assume the posture and do the movements in any particular FP Meditation.  The mind does not need to focus on anything or visualize anything.  As I wrote years back, I like to quote Taoist priest Kuan Sai Hung who said in "The Wandering Taoist" written by his student Deng Ming Dao (Mark Ong):  "there are no meridians, there are no chakras....everything is Mind."

IF you study acupuncture, you will be working plenty with principles of TCM.  But those principles aren't necessary to make Flying PHoenix Qigong effective.  Over the past 3 years, I've been teaching accredited courses in Tai Chi, FP Qigong and Tao Tan Pai Nei Kung at the best acupuncture college in California and the No.2 college in the  country (by evaluation of 66 peer colleges).  In the FP Qigong course, I don't teach any TCM or acupuncture theory whatsoever.  In the Tao Tan Pai Nei Kung course, however, I do teach Five Element Theory, Ying Yang Theory,  the concept of Shen-Qi and Qing-Qi, "law of noonday/midnight", etc. ...because those principles are utilized not so much in the practice of the TTP Nei Kung, but in the manner by which we diagnose disease and apply the TTP-cultivated energy to heal with acupressure. 

[*btw, for those who have worked a good amount with the DVD series and want corrections and further refinement:  I offer online private tutorials in both Flying Phoenix Qigong and the (Basic)  Tao Tan Pai 31 Nei Kung exercises.]

Yes, that is correct.  Quiet sitting nicely complements the seated FP Qigong meditations collectively known as "Monk Serves Wine" and the FP Qigong system as a whole.  Just as correct is the fact that FP Qigong will facilitate the increase and deepening of the absorption-jhana (concentrative level) attained in any sitting meditation practice.  More about this profound effect is contained in my forthcoming book on FP Meditation.

One of the great conceptual benefits of Reiki over Qigong is that the emphasis is on becoming a better channel instead of building a greater reserve (think the Magician Tarot card ;-) ) but this might just be a conceptual difference.

Excuse me, but WTF are you talking about??   LOL.   A "conceptual benefit" is not a benefit--because it exists in your belief system and does not exist in reality. 

Your idea of "one of the great conceptual benefits of Reiki over Qigong"--implying that there are others(!)-- is  a ridiculous figment of either yours or someone else's imagination because the reasoning behind it that you've stated in the same sentence is grossly incorrect and absurd hogwash: 

"Becoming a channel" and "building a reserve (of healing energy)" are  NOT mutually exclusive as you have erroneously assumed for Qigong in general.   In fact, as you will experience as you continue your FP Qigong practice:  Perfecting mind-body integration and thus "becoming a channel" while simultanously "building a reserve" is EXACTLY what the Flying Phoenix cultivation effects.   No FP Practitioner can cultivate the super-abundance of the FP healing energy that I've described over the past 7 years on this thread unless his/her practice has channeled into that "trunk" of macrocosmic energy.   "Channelling"  and "building a reserve" are absolutely interdependent as far as FP Qigong cultivation is concerned.  That is why  "Fei Feng San Gung" ("Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Meditations")  is a spiritual art, as reflected in its name.

Yes, "becoming a channel" vs. "building a reserve" is a conceptual difference--one that I hope continuing FP Qigong practice will quickly erase for you.

I just now turned this tarot card (Crowley deck) to let the angels help end your confusion and the over-infatuation with Reiki that is leading you to perverse views:   8 of Swords, Interference.

I wish you great success in your FP Qigong practice.

Regards,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 4

Sifu terry, how does one prepare to sit in the half lotus position? I can barely sit for ten minutes without my lefs getting numb, also when i sit, i need something behind my back to support me otherwise my legs will shake and i feel very discomfort when i sit in half lotus position,

• Like 1

I have found that sitting in half lotus is much easier if I use a yoga cushion designed I think to have your hips higher than your knees or something like that. I had never been able to sit in that position without back support until I used one of those cushions. Even so, I always have preferred to do FP with back support so that I can be more relaxed.

• Like 1

Thank you Sifu Terry,

That might have been a bit harsher than I think was necessary, (and that hurts, but is perfectly fine nonetheless ;-) ) especially since I try to show in that post, and those that follow, that I want to let go of all perceived differences and just practice Flying Phoenix as it is. My explicit use of the word conceptual shows that I am moving beyond the model of channeling versus building a reserve, so I am glad you verify that for me and take that beautiful sword of 8 to chop it through once and for all. Asking questions is often about destroying the question (or questioner), not getting an answer so thank you.

I will keep my practice of FP far removed from any other meditative practices in time (FP in morning, other stuff evening) to fully explore FP as it is. I could say some things in defense of traditional Reiki (of which the new information only came out of Japan around 2000, where it was hidden), because as the founder envisioned it, it is a spiritual path well rooted in meditation, energetic development, exploring heaven & earth qi, oneness, daily practice, with many similarities with Qigong & eastern meditation traditions. Not the western watered down version, although even that has merit for those that just want to put their hands on someone as an act of compassion. But we can let that go and each follow our own paths in that regard. I'm here for Flying Phoenix.

So onward with practice! I gladly empty my cup here and now and be open to whatever life brings.

• Like 1

And just for your benefit Sifu, since you work(ed) with Tarot. I did a reading before really taking up FP, because I just was given some new exercises in the lineage of Shaolin Cosmic Chi Kung (through Anthony Korahaisspecifically for my chronic fatigue, which focusses on creating a feeling of energetic flow (drawing down the heavens, lifting up the sky and others) followed by a spontaneous qigong called 'flowing breeze, sweeping willow', which had immediate beneficial effects for my set of symptoms.

The reading:

Should I focus on

a) drawing down the heavens (e.a.) leading up to flowing breeze sweeping willow? Page of Swords

c) Both in their own time (drawing down the heavens a few times a day, to nourish, dredge & circulate). The Universe

For now I have memorized the first three basic seated meditations (the second can easily bring a very ecstatic feeling, the third a deep relaxation), and the first two standing. Over time I will add the other basic standing meditations first. I have about an hour each morning, and time really flies by when communing with the blue phoenix! 

Two more questions:

Third question: Can flying phoenix take care of all the health benefits that I might gain from Tai Chi. I've done some basic level 37 tai chi a long time ago, and think of picking it up again, but ask if it might be as beneficial (for health & healing) to just focus on FP.

Fourth question: In the description of the 5 basic standing meditations I read that the three dantian meditations build up the energy and the moving ones circulate it. Is there a reason bending the bows is done in between the upper (gazing) and middle dantian (peach) one, and not at the end of the three static standing meditations?

I'm sure these questions all resolve themselves after enough practice, but the western mind likes to think and understand ;-)

Namaste

Hello Frederic,

Sorry for missing this first posting before answering your second.

Welcome again to the FP Qigong community.  As you've already seen, you'll find lots of friendly help and support here in FP Qigong practice .

Here are answers to your first set of questions:

The reading:

Should I focus on

There's no need to ask me that question as your 3 cards are self-explanatory and indicate auspicious results if you follow the 3 courses of action, including the qigong with the visualizations/invocations you've described.  But since asked, I will give you this further interpretation of the 3 cards:

Page of swords means an early beginner in martial arts (not a yet squire nor man-at-arms, not a knight):   You can use "drawing down the heavens (e.a.) leading up to flowing breeze sweeping willow" as you please as a beginner's practice, but as I wrote in my first reply, it isn't necessary for Flying Phoenix practice.  So keep it as a separate practice.

Two of Cups is a most accurate descriptor of the spiritual nature of the Flying Phoenix Healing energy.  Labeled/defined as "Love" by Crowley-Regardie-Harris in their deck bearing Crowley's name:  Healing is the most direct and easiest expression of compassion.  Compassion for others is rooted in love for all mankind. 

Universe – is auspicious feedback to your intent to practice both "in their own time".  There is a place in the Universe for both practices.  Any ancient Yoga that is still with us today has proven its value through the ages.  [• But I reserve judgement and am extremely scrutinizing of all modern methods of Qigong and hold them all to a high standard with a "show me" attitude from Missouri.  As I've stated before on this thread, my opinion is that there is no such thing as "modern qigong", for most of what I've seen labeled "modern qigong" doesn't even qualify as qigong--let along works better than the ancient classical Chinese systems...unless, of course, such a modern qigong system has been recently created by a present-day yogic genius/avatar/sage.

GREAT THAT YOU'RE LOVING THE PRACTICE!  ENJOY IT.

I'm not sure what you mean by "take care of".  I assume you mean "replicate" or "cover".

In general, I can't answer that question because:

(1)  the benefits one derives from Flying Phoenix Qigong (i.e., from just using the DVD training) are reliable, verifiable, repeatable, demonstrable, while the benefit that a person derives from practicing Tai Chi is more than 50% a function of the extent of the  Tai Chi teacher's knowledge and his/her willingness to teach all of it.  But if one learns the complete art of Tai Chi Chuan from a high-level master and can manifest Tai Chi's universal healing energy, the way, for example, GM William C.C. Chen and several other senior students of Prof. Cheng Man Ching can, or the senior students of Ma Yu Liang can, then they have the same valence of healing energy as a master of FP Qigong has.  But these are a very rare and small handful of "old school" Tai Chi Chuan masters who can share at will their "conductance" of a sublime-blissful universal healing energy with someone standing close by.

(2)  the very specific energizing benefits of FP Qigong go beyond the healing benefits of Tai Chi in that FP Qigong can empower one to become a natural healer.  Tai Chi Chuan will support good health and longevity, but it does not cultivate a purely healing energy the way FP Qigong does because it is a martial art first and foremost, and its jing (energy issued from the sinews) is not a healing energy.

When I teach the standing meds., I sometimes teach Monk Gazing At Moon, Monk Holding Peach, and then Monk Holding Pearl in that order;  othertimes I will teach this order reserved.  Or I will alternate a static FP meditation with a moving FP meditation.  No, there is no particular yogic reason for the Bending the Bows meditation being done between the Monk Gazing At Moon and Monk Holding Peach meditations other than my preference to alternate between still and moving meditations.  The order of the 5 Basic Standing FP Meditations on Vol.1 is not cast in stone.  You can do them in any order you please.

Your assumption is understandable given my brief description of how the 5 FP Standing Meditaitons work on the website and the DVD jacket.  However, your assumption is not exactly correct.  This explanation will help to clarify:   

• Each one of the FP Qigong meditations--standing and seated--ignites the distinctive FP Healing Energy and circulates it regardless of whether the exercise involves movement or not. 

• With regard to the moving FP meditations, I have described their energy-cultivation process as (a)  the breath control sequence igniting the FP Healing Energy and ( B) the movements then circulating that energy.   That is also precisely how GM Doo Wai explained the workings of the FP moving meditations to me. 

(and yes, this is one question that will quickly resolve itself through practice :-) )

Frederic, as for the "harshness" of my reply to your statement about "One of the great conceptual benefits of Reiki over Qigong", what i wrote was my honest and measured reaction to this proposition and your stated support for it ("emphasizing more on being a channel vs. building a reserve... :) ,  both of which I found to be preposterous.  Just trying to follow what you were saying in that third question (post #3716) honestly made my head start to spin into a rabbit hole.  So that prompted me to draw one tarot card to shed light onto what you were saying.  8 of Swords. 

Please don't take personal that previous reply or this reply.  We're here for honest, open discourse to further our practice of worthwhile arts.  The way I teach FP Qigong, which I consider to be sacred knowledge, is the way of  martial Zen.  So let the single sword, the Ace of Swords, highest intelligence, shatter the 7 other swords (Futility) and leave itself standing with few faint clouds to its left and a completely clear cloudless sky to its right.

Best Regards

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2